Barry Gibb talks about Michael

valeryjackson

Proud Member
The Stayin Alive singer was good friends with the king of pop and says fame destroyed him

166wsqd.jpg

He has been making music for over 50 years and has worked with some of the biggest names in the business, so it's no surprise that Barry Gibb has some tales from the world of music.

The Bee Gees star has recorded a new album with the help of his sons, and he caught up with Good Morning Britain to discuss the latest record, but first he gave his opinion on the greatest ever artist.

Barry counted Michael Jackson among his closest friends and the two would often hangout together in the studio making music and giving each other advice.

However, Barry claims that despite all of Michael's success as one of the biggest selling musicians of all time, he was incredibly insecure and had some severe self esteem issues.

Barry said: "I've never known an incredibly famous artist that had good self esteem. Michael was the same, very much afraid, afraid of everything."

He added: "He'd say to me, 'Barry, do you think Prince is better than me?' I'd tell him he had no equal."

Barry thinks that fame made the Thriller singer insecure, and that's something he has seen in many other stars in both film and music.

"Mega-fame is destructive", he said. "My wife is the reason I didn't wind up going down that path."

Source: Mirror.co.uk

Barry Gibb is music's greatest songwriter ever.

If you ask me, Michael comes out on top on every angle.
- AlwaysThere

Really?
Prince could play just about any instrument. Michael couldn't.
Prince would pick from 300 songs per tour and change up the setlist live on stage, sometimes. Michael did the same mostly thing from 1984 to 2009.
Prince recorded over 2000 songs. Michael maybe did 300 since the age of 5, the bulk of which being Motown.
Prince released and average of one album per year for 40 years (excluding other albums under different artists, which he did everything on), Michael released 5 albums in 23 years.
Prince toured almost every year from 1980 to 2016. In that time, Michael did toured 1984, 1987-1989, 1992-1993 and 1996-1997.
- DingBat

Well well, some just don't understand that quality almost always triumphs quantity. Does this person not understand that most of Prince's huge catalogue doesn't even stand a chance against maybe even just the big three of Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller? (I haven't even mentioned 10 more). :D:D:D:D

I don't know if that was the original title of the article or something you wrote, I don't care to enter the mirror, but it's kinda a misleading and clickbaity title. I don't understand how "Mega-fame is destructive" turned into "Fame destroyed Michael"

- AlwaysThere

- DingBat

Well well, some just don't understand that quality almost always triumphs quantity. Does this person not understand that most of Prince's huge catalogue doesn't even stand a chance against maybe even just the big three of Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller? (I haven't even mentioned 10 more). :D:D:D:D

Stealing from other forums again I see. What does this have to do with this thread? Other than the fact Prince was mentioned once in the article? Nothing. Maybe you should stop wasting time lurking places that you've been banned several times and contribute something relevant.

Anyway, I agree Michael was insecure about a lot of things and he was probably always trying to beat Thriller at the back of his mind. It certainly couldn't be easy having such a successful album and everyone always comparing your future efforts to it. Fame certainly does go to people's heads in many ways and Michael was no exception.

I was afraid he was gonna betray Michael. glad he didn't

I like Prince but just because you write a lot of songs does not mean they are of quality.

Michael and Prince always got compared simply because they were both 'pretty boy' black pop artists in the 80's... That's about as far as there similarities are (aside from they both come from same school of music ie. james Brown and soul) Oh and they both used falsetto in unique way!

Michael and prince are 2 very different artists. I don't understand why people always compare them

Nice to see that he had some real friends out there. And I agree, fame of such a magnitude can destroy people. :(

Those comparisons with Prince and other stars are simply not possible. Every artist is an individual human being. There are things that Prince did better than Michael, there are things that Michael did better than Prince. Every person has unique talents and we should be greatful that there's so much variety. :)

Berry and him were actual friends... not some story from someone that knew him that pretended to be closer than he/she really was.

Back