History (The Song) !

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Can we just take a moment to celebrate this great song? This is one of the songs on HIStory that often gets overlooked because of the abundance of sheer quality material on the album. This song has such a victorious and triumphant feeling. For me, this song is his most inspirational and motivational work ever. Even more than Man In The Mirror. It has this sophisticated grace but at the same time retaining a feeling of grandeur. Everytime i play this song i immediately want to get up off my ass and create my history (bad pun intended, [double pun intended]), and thats what's so great about this song, it doesn't discriminate. You don't have to be a president or a king or an astronaut, this song is about creating YOUR OWN History and being the person that you are destined to be.

I must say that I love the small nuances on the beat with the claps/snares getting heavier during the second part of the chorus and the samples, the orchestration towards the end and boyz 2 mens background vocals. I also really like it when Mike sings the first chorus by himself. It sounds so smooth and crisp.

The lyrics are some of the best I've heard from Mike. I wish more people would pay more attention to his lyrics and give him the credit due as a great songwriter and poet.

"Every day create your history
Every path you take you're leaving your legacy
Every soldier dies in his glory
Every legend tells of conquest and liberty
Every day create your history
Every page you turn you're writing your legacy
Every hero dreams of chivalry
Every child should sing together in harmony"

Amazing song from an amazing album. This song deserved a real music video.

I agree. It's an amazing song!

The intro is a bit to long IMO. - I understand it and the first 10 times I heard the song it was OK, but now I just wanna hear the song, it's boring with that loooong intro. - Same thing with Little Susie - and Will You Be There. In iTunes I have made the song start immedieately so I skip the long intro.

History sure is a great song, lyrics are perfect, it's uplifting and for/to everyone.

I soo wish he would have sung it live during HIStory tour, would have been so much better - but I still love the live performance. Grand ending, fits perfect.

I try to listen to this song at least once per day. I love it. Such an inspirational song.

I agree. It's an amazing song!

The intro is a bit to long IMO. - I understand it and the first 10 times I heard the song it was OK, but now I just wanna hear the song, it's boring with that loooong intro. - Same thing with Little Susie - and Will You Be There. In iTunes I have made the song start immedieately so I skip the long intro.

History sure is a great song, lyrics are perfect, it's uplifting and for/to everyone.

I soo wish he would have sung it live during HIStory tour, would have been so much better - but I still love the live performance. Grand ending, fits perfect.

It's true. I understand the meaning behind the intro but after listening to it awhile you just want to skip straight to the song lol. I would make the same case about You rock my world intro with chris tucker but thinking about it i realized I was never too fond of it to start with.

In this song the sound news from the past, from start to finish.

Includes audio news major events into the song.

I'll say if I ever get the nerve to get a tattoo with words... very most likely they will be lyrics from this song!

Yes, I like this song. I hated it when the single was turned into some unrecognizable remix. They ruined the song.

Yes, I like this song. I hated it when the single was turned into some unrecognizable remix. They ruined the song.

Ugh I couldn't stand that remix + Video. I remember it getting some adequate airplay here in europe. Was the remix released as a single?

I know it's off topic but how can some of you skip the Will You Be There intro? It's the choral section of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, a universal masterpiece.I get the HIStory one is annoying because it's like listening to the news on the radio but the WYBT one I can't wrap my head around.

I know it's off topic but how can some of you skip the Will You Be There intro? It's the choral section of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, a universal masterpiece.I get the HIStory one is annoying because it's like listening to the news on the radio but the WYBT one I can't wrap my head around.

I love the 9th symphony, it's a masterpiece like you said, but you know sometimes you just want the song to start directly. It's not that it's bad or anything but the intro is pretty long and after awhile (in our case 25 years) it can get a bit tiresome to sit through the entire symphony.

Ugh I couldn't stand that remix + Video. I remember it getting some adequate airplay here in europe. Was the remix released as a single?

The remix version is the only version I ever saw on TV so I assumed that was the single.

This song is beyond inspirational- probably the song that most inspires me. "No force of nature can break your will to self motivate". That line right there.

I play this song before every race, every marathon I run in, and it always gets me through. "He dares to be recognised, the fires deep in his eyes". The motivation, the eagerness the determination. You can feel it in the song.

I love how the angry chorus then leads to such a soft chorus driven by a gorgeous piano, just bringing you back to earth reminding yourself the bigger things in life, and why you need to be motivated to make the small changes to help what needs bigger changes.

I am so thankful that I got to see him perform this song in Dublin. Live or not, it was always one of my favourite songs a as kid, and growing up as I matured, the song spoke to me even deeper, reminding me to go for anything, and give it anything.

Every path you take you're leaving your legacy- no matter how big or small.

It's a shame it was ruined with the alternate intro though.

This song is beyond inspirational- probably the song that most inspires me. "No force of nature can break your will to self motivate". That line right there.

I play this song before every race, every marathon I run in, and it always gets me through. "He dares to be recognised, the fires deep in his eyes". The motivation, the eagerness the determination. You can feel it in the song.

I love how the angry chorus then leads to such a soft chorus driven by a gorgeous piano, just bringing you back to earth reminding yourself the bigger things in life, and why you need to be motivated to make the small changes to help what needs bigger changes.

I am so thankful that I got to see him perform this song in Dublin. Live or not, it was always one of my favourite songs a as kid, and growing up as I matured, the song spoke to me even deeper, reminding me to go for anything, and give it anything.

Every path you take you're leaving your legacy- no matter how big or small.

It's a shame it was ruined with the alternate intro though.

This is an amazing comment, and a perfect example of the influence/impact that Michael had (and continues to have) on people and their lives.
Michael would probably tear up reading things like what you typed.

This is an amazing comment, and a perfect example of the influence/impact that Michael had (and continues to have) on people and their lives.
Michael would probably tear up reading things like what you typed.

Thank you Pink. Its a very special song.

Can someone post a YT link to the original intro? What is the diffenreces in the original intro and the one it has now??

Hess;4171388 said:
Can someone post a YT link to the original intro? What is the diffenreces in the original intro and the one it has now??

Early copies of the album included the original ‘The Great Gate of Kiev’ (from Mussorgsky’s ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’) that was played in the beginning of the ‘HIStory’ song.

That original, classical piece of music was replaced in subsequent copies of the ‘HIStory’ album by an improvised-style orchestra piece (based on the original, of course).

In fact, MJ decided to keep the original intro in the beginning of that song during his HIStory concerts.

[video=youtube;lM1Q-znzIXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM1Q-znzIXw[/video]

mj_frenzy;4171391 said:
Early copies of the album included the original ‘The Great Gate of Kiev’ (from Mussorgsky’s ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’) that was played in the beginning of the ‘HIStory’ song.

That original, classical piece of music was replaced in subsequent copies of the ‘HIStory’ album by an improvised-style orchestra piece (based on the original, of course).

In fact, MJ decided to keep the original intro in the beginning of that song during his HIStory concerts.

[video=youtube;lM1Q-znzIXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM1Q-znzIXw[/video]

Rights issues I'd say. The first clip of TDCAU released after his death showed the Gates of Kiev used, whereas in TII some generic thing was in its place

Those audio news are just so amazing and even live performance was epic

Back