Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,488 Times in 9,225 Posts

Default Re: Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    ^ Than your complaint really should be with the book!? that one dimensional view that your speaking of is details that were brought out by the book.. no? or are you speaking specifically to his acting being one dimensional. If the movie was based on the book and that's where the stories came from.. than..
    I don't know how you concluded that my problem "should be really with the book" when I am talking about how MJ is portrayed by Navi in the movie all along.

The book and the movie aren't the same. In the book MJ did not come across to me as one-dimensional and as whiney, and needy and in need of a saviour (I agree with Snow White's description of it above) as in the movie. So it is something about the movie. I think a big part of it is Navi's portrayal, yes. I don't think he did MJ justice. But possibly also the directing. Also, like Snow White said, in the movie the bodyguards are portrayed annyoingly like some sort of saviours and I did not feel that in the book that much, either.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Why is it that peoples portrayal of other famous people can be so far off and we rave how good a movie was but when it's Michael and someone does put in the work we only pick out the flaws? I don't see it as 'low expectations' its a matter of being realistic.. If you all are waiting for a perfect person to come out to play a Michael Jackson of the later years and pull it off on an extreme level.. you'll have to keep waiting..

That person would have to
    * Resemble Michael Jackson A lotttt
    * have great acting skills
    * would have to be able to be TRUSTED with good intentions
    * perfect timing and gesturing as Michael did
    * have studied Michael a lot
    * Sound like Michael
    * Speak like Michael
    We're talking about a guy who calls himself the 'number one Michael Jackson impersonator' so the things mentioned above are EXACTLY what one would expect from a 'number one' and expecting anything less is definitely lowering our standards. When it comes to Michael there is no way I would do that.
    Last edited by Dutchie; 07-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,515 Posts

Respect, I did not read the book.. from what I've seen is people have said they are very similar.. and that is why I stated what I did as a question. "thank your complaint should be with the book!?"

Dutchie - We've all seen Navi on stage, we know he's not the greatest.. You know how many impersonators call themselves the "#ONE", the main reason why Navi has used that term for promotion is because his bookings.. #1 does not always mean quality as you know.. You book 10 gigs and I book 2.. You're #1! I've brought up E'cas often in this thread.. I would have personally loved to see him do it! why he was not considered I don't know.. but the fact he wasn't, my default choice after - I don't know of anyone else that would have done a better job.. when I consider all of the above.. There are some that can do this or that better.. but to put it all together is another feat!

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Respect, I did not read the book.. from what I've seen is people have said they are very similar.. and that is why I stated what I did as a question. "thank your complaint should be with the book!?"

Dutchie - We've all seen Navi on stage, we know he's not the greatest.. You know how many impersonators call themselves the "#ONE", the main reason why Navi has used that term for promotion is because his bookings.. #1 does not always mean quality as you know.. You book 10 gigs and I book 2.. You're #1! I've brought up E'cas often in this thread.. I would have personally loved to see him do it! why he was not considered I don't know.. but the fact he wasn't, my default choice after - I don't know of anyone else that would have done a better job.. when I consider all of the above.. There are some that can do this or that better.. but to put it all together is another feat!
    Hm. Maybe you're right but then it's still a very arrogant thing to do to call oneself the number one when you KNOW you're simply not as good as many others out there. Maybe he should have been humble enough to say there's impersonators who could have done a better job. But Navi is Navi and I guess the fame and money was more important to him than making sure Michael was portrayed accurately and fairly.

I don't understand why others weren't considered either. For me personally Earnest Valentino would have been perfect for the job but I guess we just think differently on that one. And that's okay.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I have the book but couldn't finish it because it was too sad. I watched the movie with an open mined. I actually liked most of it. I liked for example the fact that the movie showed how the children only had the masks when MJ was with them. There where somethings that i didn't believe and things that could be explained better but overall the movie was well done! JMO

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maral For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I watched this a few weeks back around the anniversary but I haven't got round to commenting yet. My overall view of it was that it was enjoyable and I liked a lot of it. I thought Navi was convincing at times (not his speaking so much, but mannerisms etc. I could even pinpoint interviews and clips that he was channeling at times with his speaking which felt weird, not a criticism at all. Like when he said Blanket! Blanket! He sounded exactly like MJ in the Bashir doc lol)

The only thing that bothered me is they portrayed Michael as naive, unrealistic and a bit demanding at times. It wasn't in the same vein as the book as the bodyguards didn't write it in that way, they were much more affectionate and understanding towards him. It got lost in translation sometimes imo. An example of this is when he was paying at the toy store and he was asking if they could just come back and pay tomorrow. Yes, that's what was written in the book but what was missing was the love of the portrayal. That's hard to get across I suppose, and I'm not even sure it's clear what I mean by how I'm writing this.

Overall not terrible, not great, somewhere in the middle. It was good at getting across how he was just a man, living in extraordinary circumstances just craving normality. A man who was very much under the control of so many different people with their own interests, rarely acting in his interest. Man I hate how it went down for MJ...

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StaceyMJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

This might be a long shot but.. does anyone know the name of the song that played when they went Go Karting?
    It's been stuck in my head for ages. I have no idea who is singing, but they're trying so hard to be Mike but comes across like a bad Ne-Yo impersonator.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ I tried googleing lyrics and tried to get creative on finding it with no luck.. Have you tried playing the movie and shazaming it? I wanted to try it but I'm at work.. playing the video out loud would get some attention lol!

It is a catchy song though!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

^ I tried googleing lyrics and tried to get creative on finding it with no luck.. Have you tried playing the movie and shazaming it? I wanted to try it but I'm at work.. playing the video out loud would get some attention lol!

It is a catchy song though!!
    Same!! I tried to google the lyrics with no luck and shazaming didn't work unfortunately

If you find out please tell us

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ There is a chance that it was made specifically for the movie! fairly suitable for an MJ theme.. "i'm not like other guys" I think I heard! and a few MJ'esk 'hiccups' lol

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Here's the review I wrote, for my Facebook page...

I just finished watching the Lifetime movie online, "Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland". Beforehand, I was very suspicious; too much trash has been made since Michael's death. Thankfully, this wasn't one of them; instead, it shows the kind of man Michael wanted to be during his time away from the stage. Seen through the eyes of loyal bodyguards Bill Whitfield & Javon Beard, this movie was based on a book written by them...which makes me want to read it very soon. If even half of the events portrayed are true, then there's a completely different side to Michael very few ever knew about...and I can't imagine what they sacrificed to be in his world for those last two years.

As portrayed by professional impersonator Navi, the film's version of Michael reminded me very much, of what I'd read in Frank Cascio's book and seen in the rebuttal video to Martin Bashir's horrible trash-piece. I can't say Navi completely matches Michael (after all, who could?), but its very close, and respectful to boot. Holly Robinson-Peete appears as Michael's former publicist Raymone Bain...who in this, comes across very selfish and almost backstabbing. I haven't met or seen much footage of Mrs. Bain, so I can't comment on accuracy...but Mrs. Peete played the role with an almost disturbing sense of conviction.

Starletta DuPois appears in a few memorable scenes as Michael's mother Katherine, while Kristofer Gordon plays youngest brother Randy Jackson (not the talent-show judge). Richard Lawson has a few scenes as patriarch Joseph Jackson...but for some reason, his scenes mostly felt "off" somehow. I think it might have been his age; there's 20 years between him and Joseph in reality. Even accounting for the time setting (mostly 2007), I still felt a disconnection while watching Mr. Lawson's portrayal...but I can't place my finger on why.

All in all, its a very good film, examining events the mainstream American press rarely (if ever) objectively reported on...and I was emotionally moved by the end of it. Major respect to all involved; I'd prefer to think Michael would've liked it as well.

Last edited by Moviefan2k4; 18-07-2017 at 06:06 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Moviefan2k4 For This Useful Post: