Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Donald Trump elected as America's 45th President.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,219 Posts

Default Re: Donald Trump elected as America's 45th President.

It looks as though there will be a lot of removal and re-siting of Confederate statues in the near future.

Robert E. Lee's great-great grandson OK with Confederate statues coming down

The great-great grandson of Gen. Robert E. Lee condemned last weekend's violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, and said it might be "appropriate" for Confederate statues to be exhibited in a museum.

"Eventually, someone is going to have to make a decision, and if that's the local lawmaker, so be it. But we have to be able to have that conversation without all of the hatred and the violence. And if they choose to take those statues down, fine," Robert E. Lee V, 54, of Washington DC, told CNN.

"Maybe it's appropriate to have them in museums or to put them in some sort of historical context in that regard," he added.

The Charlottesville City Council had earlier voted to rechristen two parks named for Confederate generals and remove Lee's statue from the park once known as Lee Park. A few months ago, the park was renamed Emancipation Park. The statue's removal is on hold pending litigation.
    Lee, who works as an athletic director at a Virginia school, called Saturday's incidents "senseless" and "sad" for his family.

"Those sorts of acts on Saturday, that's just not to be tolerated," he said. "We feel strongly that Gen. Lee would never ever stand for that sort of violence."
    "We just want people to know that the Lee family just really wants to send their best to the people in Charlottesville," Lee added.

Descendant of Jefferson Davis: 'Let's move it'

Bertram Hayes-Davis, great-great-grandson of the Confederate president, Jefferson Davis told CNN's Don Lemon that such statues should be moved to a museum if "that's offensive to a large majority of the public."
    "In a public place, if it is offensive and people are taking issue with it, let's move it. Let's put it somewhere where historically it fits with the area around it so you can have people come to see it, who want to understand that history and that individual."

When asked whether the Davis statue belonged there, Hayes-Davis said, "I think that they were placed there for a reason," as he listed Davis' various accomplishments and positions he held.
    "I think you have to look at the entire individual before you make a decision whether they belong at the Capitol of the United States or not."
    Hayes-Davis said he understood why people are upset by Confederate symbols including the flag.

"The Confederate battle flag, in my estimation, has been hijacked by that group of racist individuals and should be in a museum which indicates it's a military flag and not a flag of the Confederate States of America," he said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/16/us...val0533PMStory

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officials in several states are calling for the removal of public monuments that have become controversial symbols of the Confederacy, driven by the national outcry over the violence in Charlottesville, Va., that erupted on Saturday during a protest organized by white nationalists.

In Nashville on Monday, protesters at the state Capitol demanded the removal of a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest that sits between the Statehouse and Senate chambers, The Tennessean reported. Forrest, a Confederate general and KKK leader, was involved in an 1864 massacre of black soldiers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/u...-kentucky.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cory Booker‏Verified account
    @CoryBooker
    I will be introducing a bill to remove Confederate statues from the US Capitol building. This is just one step. We have much work to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baltimore Mayor Had Statues Removed in ‘Best Interest of My City’

BALTIMORE — It was “in the best interest of my city,” Mayor Catherine Pugh said Wednesday, as she explained why she ordered Confederate monuments removed under the cover of darkness, days after violence broke out during a rally against the removal of a similar monument in neighboring Virginia.

“I said with the climate of this nation,” Ms. Pugh said later, “that I think it’s very important that we move quickly and quietly.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/u...e-statues.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Which is almost exactly a year to the day (18 Aug 16) since this: (video at the link)

New Yorkers saw the naked truth about Donald Trump — and it wasn’t pretty.

A disturbing nude statue of GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump — sporting his trademark comb-over and nothing more — materialized bizarrely Thursday in Union Square.

The billionaire’s buck-naked image became an instant internet sensation while drawing hordes of onlookers eagerly snapping pictures or shooting video with their smartphones.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2756617

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...and here's Trump tweeting about the removal of statues today:

http://

Some wit on twitter wrote : Those who are upset about the loss of history involved in the removal of these statues will be thrilled to learn of the existence of books.

I've an idea for replacement statues. What about Heather Heyer, and all those poor innocent African Americans who have been killed by the police or white racists.
    Last edited by myosotis; Today at 06:33 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 778 Posts

A van swerved into a crowd of tourists in Barcelona, possible terror attack. I wonder how long it will take Trump to comment on this, considering he "likes to know all the facts first"

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

delete

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 991 Posts

I wonder if Trump being President has made these racists bolder/ more salient then they used to be.
    I think it may have.
    They see one of themselves in a position of great power and thinks it gives them more power in turn.
    Anyone else feel this way?

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,680 Times in 2,981 Posts

^^Just David Dukes' comments make it obvious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Diamond Princess View Post
    I wonder if Trump being President has made these racists bolder/ more salient then they used to be.
    I think it may have.
    They see one of themselves in a position of great power and thinks it gives them more power in turn.
    Anyone else feel this way?
    It's certainly the case. Trump campaigned on anti-immigration, 'America First' and other white nationalist dog-whistle sentiments and gained at least ...oh, 48% of the actual vote. With a majority like that the white nationalists can be sure that there are plenty of other racists to support them. They know that Trump won't call them out because he backs Bannon, Gorka and Duke. I'm sure there are many more in Trump's inner circle that we probably don't know of.

Thing is, he's always been rich and always been the boss, so everyone around him has always been and always will be a 'yes' man. No-one has ever expressed opposite opinions to him before and won. Hillary tried, but clearly (to me) the combination of his poison against her (Lock her up!), the 'natural' right wing support he has on the ground (all those idiots wearing red MAGA hats, manufactured overseas!), and the desperation of the republicans to get in to power again at any cost has led to this debacle. Plus, I expect that a good number of voters were 'sat on the fence' politically, and just thought that a man would be 'better' as a leader than a woman.

The Russians are apparently saying on TV that this could lead to US civil war (again) and the end of the USA....which is what they wanted all along. (I'm sure it won't actually come to that..... Fingers crossed.)

http://
    Last edited by myosotis; Today at 06:31 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
    A van swerved into a crowd of tourists in Barcelona, possible terror attack. I wonder how long it will take Trump to comment on this, considering he "likes to know all the facts first"
    Well, we have the answer to that, less than 3 hours:

No official confirmation yet on who committed the attack but Trump implies it's Radical Islamic Terror a few hours after the attack. So predictable

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

If anyone's wondering what he's talking about: