Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,348 Posts

Default Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

MOONWALKING TO THE BANK WITH JOHN BRANCA

by Phil Gallo

Mega-Attorney John Branca Talks Estates, Legacies and Streams Both Digital and Monetary

In September, John Branca and John McClain finalized one of the largest music publishing deals in history: The $750m sale of the Michael Jackson Estate’s 50% interest in Sony/ATV to Sony Corp. One of the most important business attorneys in the game, Branca is a genuine music guy—a sensibility shaped by his background as a musician—with a 360-degree understanding of the nuances of branding.

Yes, Jackson represents something of a pinnacle in his career spent mostly at Ziffren-Brittenham LLP, but Branca is also the lawyer/strategist behind the deal that reunited Carlos Santana with Clive Davis and resulted in Supernatural, and the movement of the Rolling Stones to Virgin from Sony. He is currently working on a new catalog deal for the Bee Gees and another deal for the Beach Boys, the band that was his first client back in 1978. “I love working with legacy artists,” Branca tells HITS. “It’s what I grew up with; it’s what I appreciate.”

As the co-executor of the Jackson estate, you are heavily involved in the multiple projects associated with him, the Cirque du Soleil shows, This Is It, the posthumous albums. Has your involvement with Jackson expanded what you do for clients, or is it just a highly visible example?

I haven’t been a traditional lawyer in the sense that we’re only there to review contracts. We always encourage our clients to have managers, but we are usually part of a strategic team that oversees touring, branding and various issues that may come up. David Lande and others at the firm work with managers and agents to make touring deals with Live Nation and AEG for clients like Justin Timberlake and Fleetwood Mac. Another example is the Rolling Stones, for whom we helped oversee and make the deals for the Steel Wheels Tour.

What John McClain and I really do with the Jackson estate is manage that brand. It’s not traditional legal work—we produced two shows with Cirque du Soleil: a touring show, Michael Jackson: THE IMMORTAL World Tour, and a permanent show in Las Vegas, Michael Jackson ONE. The tour is in the Top 5-grossing touring concert shows of all time and ONE has been one of the most successful shows in Las Vegas since it opened. We put out two new studio albums, the first with Rob Stringer, the second with L.A. Reid. What we do for the estate is not unlike what we do for an artist or a brand—we are involved with records, deal with touring and branding as well as overseeing various aspects of their career. It’s not different than the work we did when Michael was alive, in particular during the Thriller era, when Michael did not have a manager.

On your end, what do you see as the key to all the Jackson projects?

What we did with This Is It was to try to show the real Michael Jackson, the entertainer and not the tabloid sensation. It was really a rebranding effort.

Do you see this continuing with other legacy acts?

I think that what you have to do with legacy acts and estates is to reintroduce them to new generations, not to try to reinvent who they are. If you rep a legacy artist, whether it’s Led Zeppelin or [a lesser known act], the hardcore fans are there, but you have to keep reintroducing the artist to new audiences.

In the case of Michael, part of the equation was releasing unreleased material. First, will we see more from the Jackson vaults? And second, where do you draw the line for what should be released?

We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased music. In the case of XSCAPE, the most recent release, L.A. Reid said he was only going to work on songs where Michael did complete vocals, because that showed he actually cared about the songs. And of course, that album produced the worldwide #1 hit track, “Love Never Felt So Good,” a duet with Michael and our client Justin Timberlake.

When we put out This Is It, some said, “Michael would never put this out. This is rehearsal footage.” We said, “We agree Michael wouldn’t have put this out when he was around because he would have finished it with a multi-camera shoot.” We wanted to show the world the real Michael Jackson. Thus, people really responded to it and it became the #1-grossing music documentary in history.

What about cases where a band is involved? Perhaps some members have died or are no longer active, but you’re representing the group.

It’s a matter of doing your best to maintain authenticity. You walk a fine line. I’m working with Barry Gibb, and Barry’s just put out a new album and there’s a tour and, of course, he sings Bee Gees songs since he was the lead singer. But Barry would never go out and present himself as the Bee Gees because of [his respect for] authenticity of who the Bee Gees were. Certain acts take account of that, but others don’t, and I think they suffer because of that.

You managed the Beach Boys for their 50th anniversary tour, which obviously introduced them to new fans and bolstered their standing. How do you take that result from a short window of time and extend its shelf life?

I co-managed The Beach Boys with Joe Thomas. I actually think they’re an underappreciated brand. Brian is certainly not underappreciated, but the Beach Boys are. I helped them get fair royalty rates on their back catalog, which I also did for artists John Fogerty and The Doors. And I helped Don Henley, and others, get their copyrights back.

Is streaming playing a big role in introducing those types of acts to new audiences?

YouTube
    helps because you can see the artist in their prime, in their heyday. Streaming helps, but branding is most important to continue to explain to people why they are important. A vehicle like This Is It, you realize this is one of the great artists of all time. It’s like a developing artist: You have to let people know who they are. Sometimes for an established artist, you have to remind people who the artist is.

Source - http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=303931

Gonna be upfront here, I'm pissed.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,501 Posts

Default Re: Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    "We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased music."

http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=303931

Please tell me this is a joke?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

So what exciting things are there if not music?? That's their money maker tbh.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Ced For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,384 Times in 1,234 Posts

What exciting projects?

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Umm I can think of plenty of unreleased songs that could top Xscape, remember Xscape was number one worldwide... So there's obviously demand. Granted they are songs we have already heard, but surely there is more songs out there. Sunset Driver/Got The Hots have that famous Off the Wall vibe to it. Serious Effect can be updated and sound great.

I seriously think that some of you on this forum could do a better job at managing future releases.

Could have an ambiguous meaning.

"We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, [such as unreleased music] although we probably will not continue to release unreleased music [after that]".

President Owner And Founder
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,706 Times in 845 Posts

Please when posting in the news section, post the whole content of the article with a link to its source (That bit you got right ) at the bottom

**Thread edited**

Thanks
    MJJCommunity President Owner And Founder
    Making that change for Michael since 2001
    Loyal fan since 1978

Have a query, by all means, give me a shout gary@mjjcommunity.com

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 529 Posts

he said theres exciting projects for 2017.....so more than one....hmm

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to h0opman31 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

"We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased music."

Actually, this makes me even more excited. I want the estate to focus on presenting Michael's music, short films, and concerts in new and exciting ways. I'm personally not interested in unreleased demos anymore. They're nice to have as added value but at the end of the day Michael's canon consists of 7 solo albums, 35 short films, and 3 world tours. That's his legacy. And any future releases should focus on presenting this material first. If they complement it with unreleased material that would be great but the focus needs to stay on Michael's actual creative output. Everyone knows Thriller. Many know Off the Wall and Bad. But how many people are familiar with Michael's creative output in the 90s and 00s? Dangerous, HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor, Invincible should all be part of the rebranding that Branca is referring to in order to bring these works to a new generation.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoeJack For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I've said it 1,000 times.....it's all over......

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h0opman31 View Post
    he said theres exciting projects for 2017.....so more than one....hmm
    and he said no more unreleased music! that's okay for me, I hope this time they release some BLU RAYS!!!

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hulkamaniac For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,896 Times in 7,400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post

why? you (generally speaking) complained about every single release, nothing was good enough, refused to buy etc. So what did you expect?
    Twitter : Ivy_4MJ

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ivy For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJack View Post

Actually, this makes me even more excited. I want the estate to focus on presenting Michael's music, short films, and concerts in new and exciting ways. I'm personally not interested in unreleased demos anymore. They're nice to have as added value but at the end of the day Michael's canon consists of 7 solo albums, 35 short films, and 3 world tours. That's his legacy. And any future releases should focus on presenting this material first. If they complement it with unreleased material that would be great but the focus needs to stay on Michael's actual creative output. Everyone knows Thriller. Many know Off the Wall and Bad. But how many people are familiar with Michael's creative output in the 90s and 00s? Dangerous, HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor, Invincible should all be part of the rebranding that Branca is referring to in order to bring these works to a new generation.
    There is so much more to his legacy than just his 7 adult solo albums. Why limit it to his adult solo career only? There needs to be more focus on The Jacksons and The Jackson 5

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Michaels Lover For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    and he said no more unreleased music! that's okay for me, I hope this time they release some BLU RAYS!!!
    I hope that too, but not just any random footage that we already have. It should be something new

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Michaels Lover For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entry

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cool Re: Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    why? you (generally speaking) complained about every single release, nothing was good enough, refused to buy etc. So what did you expect?
    It's what I thought too. I'd love to hear more MJ demos.

I've found some great songs to love on the two posthumous albums. While I've not been entirely uncritical (or the material or mixes etc) I'd certainly rather have them in my collection and have Michael getting airplay for some of this great, previously unheard material, and his fan base growing, than leaving things to stagnate.

Whoever said Blu-Rays, yeah, I'd put my hand up for those. Mostly I would like to see more material from the 'Dangerous' and 'History' tours and behind the scenes footage from his short films for those albums and 'Blood' and 'You Rock My World'.

Not complainin' - just hoping'

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 803 Posts

I wonder what their definition of 'exciting' is. The music is pretty much the only thing I'm interested in. Aside from that probably concerts, a blu-ray of Ghosts, and candid footage of Michael.
    "Girls want to see some cake."

My Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/edog85

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainEoLove85 For This Useful Post: