Classmate's Dog - Your Opinion?

FullLipsDotNose

Proud Member
My classmate has adopted a dog who was abandoned by his previous owner or whose owner died (I don't remember exactly). He's old, around 10 years. Because of his past, he's very scared of being alone and therefore my classmate has to take him everywhere with herself unless there's a person to dogsit. She sometimes brought him to classes and I have dogsat him once or twice - the dog is a sweetheart.

Recently, she spoke about her shopping experience. She tied the dog to a lamp in front of a supermarket and went shopping. After an hour, she was called in and the staff threatened to call the police because of the dog tied to the lamp - according to them, it was an abuse. My classmate complained about it and I didn't know what to tell her.

On one hand, I understand she already sacrifices a lot for the dog and she sometimes has no choice but to leave him alone, especially if there's no-one to dogsit. However, I can't imagine anyone shopping for an hour or more in a supermarket. I wouldn't leave my dog in front of a shop even though she's used to being on her own for a couple of hours because someone could kidnap her, for example - and my classmate's dog can't be on his own for too much long and there's no difference to me if he's at home or tied to something.

What do you think?

I definitely don't think she should have left the dog tied up outside. Yes, he could have been stolen, or worse, he could have gotten excited and wrapped himself up in the leash and choked himself. Kids could have been out there taunting him. You never know.
She should ask the store if she can bring him in, or just leave him at home, where he's safe.

Last week I went to the grocery store and stood behind an elderly lady and realized she had a dog standing up in her cart. I didn't know it was allowed, but I don't think she even asked anybody. The dog was adorable and I asked if I could pet him, and I ended up getting a face full of wet kisses. Even the checkers seemed happy to see that dog-wagging his tail and so excited to see everybody.

Back