Your Favourite non MJ acts

Tony R

Proud Member
Quite simply, who else do you love? Especially those of us who are quite eclectic.

For me I love great pop/soul e.g,

Madonna
Stevie Wonder
George Michael
Prince

And adore Britpop, rock e.g.

Suede (best band ever)
The Fratellis
Oasis
Blur
RHCP
Guns n' Roses
Queen
Muse

Like I say, any great pop music despite how untrendy it may be, so certain songs by the following I listen to all the time:

Sugababes
Girls Aloud
Will Young

These are my favorites:
The Beatles (and solo)
Pink Floyd
David Bowie
Stevie Wonder
Bee Gees
Radiohead
Prince
The Doors
Yes
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Queen

To me, I rank The Beatles as high as I do MJ, they're my two most favourite artists. I can't properly decide which I like more (I go through "trends" so there are times I listen to one more than the other and prefer them more), so I just say my favourite solo artist is MJ whereas my favourite band/act are The Beatles :)

Other artists alongside MJ and The Beatles...

-Buddy Holly
-Childish Gambino
-David Bowie
-Frank Ocean
-John Lennon
-John Williams (composer of Star Wars/Indiana Jones/E.T./Harry Potter/Jaws... etc)
-Justin Bieber
-Justin Timberlake
-Kanye West
-Lady Gaga
-Lorde
-Paul McCartney
-Queen
-The Weeknd

Artists I love casually (I love many of their songs, but I don't look far past Greatest Hits):
-Beyonce
-Daft Punk
-Fat Freddy's Drop
-Elvis Presley
-Eminem
-Frank Sinatra
-George Harrison
-Kendrick Lamar
-Prince
-Rihanna

There are so many artists that I haven't listed which I only have a few songs by, but I really, really love those songs. Because of that, I don't think that represents my entire taste, which varies quite a bit I reckon, I love old and new material, all from pop/r&b/rap/hip-hop/alternative/rock/soundtrack/electronic off the top of my head... :)

Last edited:
Michael was really the only English speaking singer I was ever a huge fan of. But sadly that is no more for me. Thanks to my depression and my anxiety attacks. I can't be a fan of his anymore. And I do horribly miss watching and listening to him. But there is really nothing I can do about that.:( :boohoo At least not until I hear or read about that ahole's death. But I will admit that there some English speaking groups that I do like. Like Blackmore's Night and the Christian singers like Paul Wilbur and Kari Jobe. As well as the Irish group Celtic Woman and some other Irish music groups. But I really don't really listen to them all that much. Mostly I prefer the Indian singers now. Ever since what had happen to Michael. I became extremely obsessed with all things Bollywood and as well as India and it's culture. More now than I ever did when we still had him. These are the singers that I really love anymore.:

Female singers:

Shreya Ghoshal (Who is definitely the world's most greatest female singer. Her voice is just beyond incredible.)
Shubha Mudgal
Kavita Krishnamurthy
Sunidhi Chauhan
Lata Mangeshkar
Sapna Awasthi Singh
Alka Yagnik

Male singers:

Sonu Nigam (He is to me India's version of MJ. His singing just like Michael's is just beyond incredible.)
Udit Narayan
A.R. Rahman
Javed Ali
Vishal & Shekhar
Kumar Sanu
Honey Singh

There are definitely other Indian singers I like besides these. But I am just going to stop there.

Last edited:
Love this.

Do you ever think that you're the only fan of these acts that's also massively into MJ?

Not really. I'm sure there are others. Many metal fans might think MJ is not good because his music is pop but I'm sure most are not like that.

I was an 80s teen so I loved Madonna, Prince, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Prince. Seems I've always listened to Stevie Wonder. I also enjoy Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake. Janet is my second favorite after Michael.

I love R&B/Soul/Funk...Destiny's Child, Lenny Kravitz, Alicia Keyes...

I was an 80s teen so I loved Madonna, Prince, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Prince. Seems I've always listened to Stevie Wonder. I also enjoy Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake. Janet is my second favorite after Michael.

I love R&B/Soul/Funk...Destiny's Child, Lenny Kravitz, Alicia Keyes...

I likes your thinking.

I presume No Diggity is one of your favourites of all time ;)

I honestly, in my opinion, believe that both Prince and Michael are to be considered as equals to each other, as far as their level of talent in music, dancing and just plain all-around entertainment is concerned. Neither one of them should be put “above,” nor “below,” the other. To place either one of these two gentlemen on anything else but an absolutely 50-50 equal playing field wouldn’t be fair to either one of them at all. If one of them were judged as having been “better,” then, the other would also be judged as having been “not as good as” or even criticized as the “worse” between them.

One’s having been 180-degrees opposite of (or, different from) what the other one was — in nearly all aspects of each man’s career, including performance onstage, public image and its presentation, the way their voice-types were, and so forth — is NOT the same thing. Neither was Prince the so-called “lesser” or “greater” of the two, nor was Michael. Each one had brought to the table their strongest points in whatever areas they were each themselves best at, while compensating and making up for the other’s “not-so-strong”* aspects (*as I won’t use the words “weak” nor “lacking,” because, even in those such supposedly “weak” areas and aspects of their careers, they really were not, as much as some might say they were). For example, let’s say that Prince was a much better dancer, and Michael was a much better songwriter/composer/lyricist, than either one of them were ever given credit for during their lifetime — as some critics still won’t give them credit in such areas, even today — they each were stronger in more aspects than most people ever would have thought either one of them were.

With that being said, (after spending most of this post, and quite a bit of time, discussing the two gentlemen whom I feel should be considered and rightfully counted amongst THE greatest entertainers/performers of ALL time — Prince Rogers Nelson and Michael Joseph Jackson) — I absolutely love listening to the many great singers/vocalists, groups and bands that sang and played much of what was, at the time, THE best “R&B”/”Soul” music ever sung and played (including just about, almost, the whole entire roster of artists who had ever recorded for the Motown label), from the 1960’s on up through the ’80’s, great music by such artists as:

— The Temptations
— The Four Tops
— “Smokey” Robinson and The Miracles
— Gladys Knight and The Pips
— Stevie Wonder
— Marvin Gaye
— Diana Ross
— The Supremes, A.K.A./“Diana Ross and The Supremes”
— The Jackson 5 (later known as “The Jacksons,” under another record label)
— Rick James
— Teena Marie
— Switch/DeBarge

There were/are many other artists, whose music I enjoy listening to.

*Mariah Carey
*Whitney Houston
*Minnie Riperton
*Chanté Moore
*Rachelle Ferrell
*Betty Wright
*Gladys Knight
*Patti LaBelle
*Aretha Franklin (especially, as she sounded when she was much younger, in the Late-1960’s and Early-1970’s)
*Chaka Khan
*Donna Summer (the only performer during the “Disco”-music era, who actually could really SING, in my opinion, although I don’t care all that much for “Disco,” in itself, as a genre)

There are other genres I like, too, such as great “Jazz” music, and I’m opening up to enjoying some Soprano “Opera” as well.

Last edited:
Prince
Janet
Whiteny Houston
Stevie Wonder
Rihanna
Taylor Swift
2 Pac

I know I love listening to : Bruno Mars, Anita Baker, Janet, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Tevin Campbell, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Keith Sweat, Mariah Carey, Janelle Monáe, Chaka Khan, and Mary J Blige.

Edit : I forgot about Prince, Freddie/Queen, New Edition, and Stevie Wonder 😅.

Last edited:
Mine are in order for first 5 and then rough after that

Prince is the greatest in my opinion, his versatility,his talent, his ability to transcend genres of music and just genius make him an obvious number one. I am so happy to see he is REAL popular here. Dewey even mentioned him twice. But I also really love Michael Jackson and I have actually got further with Michael Jackson in the past two years than I have in all my life. He is endlessly fascinating, to me, MJ is the enigma. So MJ is my number 2.

It is a big drop to 3rd place on my list. Prince and MJ on top pretty much and 3/4 of all the music I listen to it is either Prince and his satellite acts like the Time or Michael Jackson and Jacksons/Jackson 5 stuff. I go through fits and swings with all the others, but Prince and Michael are constants.

1. Prince
2. MICHAEL JACKSON!!!!!
3. Madonna
4. Elton John
5. David Bowie
5= Stevie Wonder
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Boney M
Bee Gees
George Michael/Wham
Motown 60s music
The Time
Thompson Twins
Culture Club/Boy George
Kool n the Gang
Prince Tui Teka
Donna Summer
Cyndi Lauper
Jackson 5/Jacksons/Janet and Jermaine Jackson
John Farnham
Beatles/Paul Mccartney/George Harrison
Rolling Stones
Cat Stevens
Dolly Parton
Mariah Carey (Pre 2000 only)
Celine Dion (Pre 1999)
Whitney Houston
Little Richard
Jimi Hendrix Experience

Types of music
Disco
80s electropop - Duran Duran, Level 42, Heaven 17, Kajagoogoo etc
80s R&B - Debarge, Atlantic Starr, Shalamar etc
70s Pop - Dr Hook, Christopher Cross, Carole King etc
late 60s psychedlic music
50s Rock n roll (All but Elvis),
20s Hot dance music and Jazz

Last edited:
After MJ, Queen is my 2nd favorite. The rest are in no particular order
Elvis Presley
Cliff Richard
David Bowie
The Doors
The Beatles
Paul McCartney
Suzie Quatro
Tina Turner
Dire Straits
Rolling Stones
Jimmy Osmond
2 Unlimited
Kris Kross
Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers
Dr. Feelgood

I only came to terms with David Bowies death after attending the Celebration gig in Brixton in January, but Bowie and Queen. Stevie Wonder and Prince getting up there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back