Michael Jackson biopic?

KatrinaXP

Proud Member
With the recent furore over the Urban Myths show and also the news about the upcoming Lifetime movie, I've been thinking about whether a serious Michael Jackson biopic is a good idea and what it might look like.

I actually think done properly (accurate and with attention to detail) this could be a huge asset to Michael's legacy and his memory. And I think logically there should be huge interest in this in Hollywood, by serious directors and top actors because Michael's life is literally the most epic story of our time. His life and experiences encompass every human emotion, reflect the best and worst of human nature and could teach so many profound lessons about life and the world. So if done properly with heart and serious effort - think great method acting like Eddie Redmayne in The Theory of Everything or Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln - I think it would be hugely critically acclaimed and win Oscars, etc. And most importantly it would help people finally understand Michael, see what a great person he was and get past the prejudices.

What do people think? And who do you think would need to initiate something like this - the Estate? the family?

It's such a risky subject doing Michael Jackson, his appearance changed drastically over the years that they would need multiple actors.

If they were going to do a biopic, I would say get various actors to be Michael Jackson over his life, and then mix that in with real footage of Michael Jackson. They did that for an Elvis Presley biopic some 35-40 years ago and it worked well. It allowed them to show the magic of Elvis onstage (something an actor probably couldn't do well), but then shoot additional scenes of Elvis where footage wasn't shot. I feel that would be best for Michael, no actor will be able to get near his dancing skills. Then we have a voice actor dub over the various actors for Michael, so theres a consistant voice.

Although with the Elvis film, there were sometimes I questioned if the footage was real or not because the Elvis actor was so close to the man himself... but I don't know if that'd be an issue with Michael Jackson since I know his face much better than Elvis'. Plus due to the various plastic surgeries, he has a unique face I've seen very few people pull off (like when they've done models of him and stuff), same with impersonators/people putting on makeup to look like him.

If it's done entirely with actors (i.e. not mixed with real footage of MJ), not all biopics have actors who look just like the person they're playing though, see Elvis vs. Nixon, which recently came out and while it focuses more on an event, rather than a lifetime, it got good reviews. So it's not NEEDED, but it can help. That largely comes down to the actor, if they're so good in their role you forget they don't look entirely like the person.

Alternatively, just do a big 4-5 hour film on him... like Martin Scorsese did for George Harrison (Living in the Material World), or that Frank Sinatra: All or Nothing film that was done for Frank Sinatra's 100th birthday. Get a shit load of footage of Michael from all periods of his life, tell a story interspersed with talking heads who knew him and boom. You have a fantastic in-depth look at his life, I learnt a lot about Frank Sinatra and George Harrison that way.

That would be the kind of film I'd want for Michael Jackson, not a biopic where some aspects are dramatised for the sake of conflict/drama. Yes, it's more a documentary than a biopic, but a biopic for Michael Jackson is going to be exceedingly difficult especially with appearances and stuff.

And who do you think would need to initiate something like this - the Estate? the family?

The Estate. They own the rights to Michael likeness, as well as his music. You can't have a proper Michael Jackson bio-pic without his MUSIC!

Last edited:
Meh, I'm not really one for biopics myself.

Have never watched one and most likely will not in the near (and far) future.
Give me actual MJ footage with the voices of people that actually knew and loved him over a biopic anyday.
I've also been reading and many people seem to think that lifetime doesn't do good at all with celeb biopics, so yeah, the MJ biopic their making is probably going to be a mess.

Nonetheless, to answer your question I suppose that it could be done with a large budget, a good amount of effort, and by a group of people with their minds and hearts in the right place.

I have a feeling it would turn out like "Man in the Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story". I'll pass.

I don't really want an MJ biopic and I do not think there is a need either.

1) MJ is not some forgotten artist whose life needs to be introduced to the public. MJ's whole life literally played out in front of the public and I don't think any movie can beat the real thing or that even it is needed. I simply do not see a need there.

2) Biopics are generally not telling someone's true story. They are usually highly dramatized, things get added or taken away or changed "for dramatic effect" or for someone's agenda. I remember how pissed I was about The Imitation Game which supposedly tells the story of Alan Turing, but when you know his story you know that the movie actually has a lot of falsehoods. And that is generally an issue with biopics. Problem is that, because so many people see these biopics, these falsehoods then get cemented in people's mind as the "true story" of someone. I don't want that to happen to MJ.

3) And lastly, whose version of MJ it would be? It can be an empathic portrayal or a totally horrible one based on tabloid stories.

4) I think a good documentary (or a series of documentaries), with his image (not someone else playing him), his music etc. would serve him better than a biopic.

I have to say The Jacksons: An American Dream was good and I was satisfied with all the actors who played MJ. It was a respectful portrayal as well. But then its story ends in 1984, so they had the easier part. BTW, this movie shows that an actor doesn't necessarily have to look exactly like the person he plays. I don't think Wylie Draper looked much like MJ, still his portayal of MJ was good and believable IMO.

I agree with all of this.
People could watch a biopic that portrays Michael negatively and that's what sticks in their minds, and goodness knows MJ doesn't need that.
It's one of the main reasons I myself am against MJ biopics.

If it's done entirely with actors (i.e. not mixed with real footage of MJ), not all biopics have actors who look just like the person they're playing though, see Elvis vs. Nixon, which recently came out and while it focuses more on an event, rather than a lifetime, it got good reviews. So it's not NEEDED, but it can help. That largely comes down to the actor, if they're so good in their role you forget they don't look entirely like the person.

I would agree that the actor(s) don't have to look entirely like Michael as long as they get the mannerisms, the spirit and character.

Alternatively, just do a big 4-5 hour film on him... like Martin Scorsese did for George Harrison (Living in the Material World), or that Frank Sinatra: All or Nothing film that was done for Frank Sinatra's 100th birthday. Get a shit load of footage of Michael from all periods of his life, tell a story interspersed with talking heads who knew him and boom. You have a fantastic in-depth look at his life, I learnt a lot about Frank Sinatra and George Harrison that way.

4) I think a good documentary (or a series of documentaries), with his image (not someone else playing him), his music etc. would serve him better than a biopic.

I agree a major documentary would be really useful. The reason I suggested biopic is because obviously a biopic would generate more interest and be seen by more people in the general public so would have a bigger impact on public perception of Michael.

1) MJ is not some forgotten artist whose life needs to be introduced to the public. MJ's whole life literally played out in front of the public and I don't think any movie can beat the real thing or that even it is needed. I simply do not see a need there.

But most of the public do not know even a fraction about Michael's life because of the frankly 'fake news' that media always put out about him.

3) And lastly, whose version of MJ it would be? It can be an empathic portrayal or a totally horrible one based on tabloid stories.

Obviously a serious biopic would need to portray the true Michael, the man who was brilliant, loving, generous, if too idealistic for this flawed world. And all us fans know there's plenty of evidence out there (e.g. court transcripts) to construct the objective truth and Michael's real story. And biopics tend to be sympathetic to the character in question (I don't think I've seen too many negative biopics). People also really love the misunderstood hero story so there would be every reason to portray Michael accurately.

That's just the thing, I think the reason that most of the 'movies' and documentaries so far are rubbish is because they're small projects (with small budgets, second-rate directing/casting) trying to make money quickly by generating controversy/scandal so they rely on the tabloid trash. If a serious film project is undertaken by leading directors and actors with the intention to make a masterpiece there's no reason to deliberately portray Michael negatively and there would be much more research. I'm reminded of Stanley Kubrick's planned biopic about Napoleon - it was never made but the associated research/script/direction was published in a book which I read - and the level of research by Kubrick on every aspect of Napoleon's life and the historical details was just unreal. If it's possible for someone who's been dead for 200 years to be researched so well there's no reason Michael cannot be. And then great actors study their subject in huge detail to capture the character. For example, in preparation for playing Lincoln, Daniel Day Lewis spent a year studying him, supposedly read more than 100 books about him and then worked really hard with his make up artist to achieve a physical likeness. So IMO it wouldn't be impossible for Michael.

So if the Estate really wants to diversify outside of music (esp as they've said that no new music is going to be released), I think they should consider getting the ball rolling on a top-notch film.

Personally I'd love to see a documentary like Senna or Amy. They were both incredible documentaries, especially Senna.

We all know this is a vast amount of footage and audio of Michael, that he wanted recorded. It could be the definitive look on the world's greatest superstar and the most in-depth look at the most famous celebrity to ever grace the earth. In my opinion seeing and listening Michael tell his own story, is much more fascinating than any actors portrayal of him.

My only issues are.
1. You must get the choice of talking heads correct, you pick the wrong family or "friends" and it turns into just another Michael Jackson documentary, with the same anecdotes.
2. You must get the pacing right, if you cover the "controversies" for too long it will destroy the feeling for one also if you cover them for too long, it dampens how much of a star and true unmatchable talent Michael was. They must cover how phenomenal he was, and how nobody has reached that level of talent and notoriety Michael had across the globe.

A behind the scenes documentary is how I'd go if I were the Estate, look at the success of This Is It. Nothing is more captivating than Michael Jackson himself.

It could be the definitive look on the world's greatest superstar and the most in-depth look at the most famous celebrity to ever grace the earth.

^This. IMO this is the key point. I think it's time that there is a definitive, authoritative account of Michael's life. I think a huge part of whatever clouding of Michael's legacy there is and the perpetual confusion and lies that surround him is because there is no definitive 'biography' so people go to all the numerous unauthorised accounts from people around Michael who have twisted the truth for their own agenda. An authoritative biography (in whatever form) is needed.

Personally I'd love to see a documentary like Senna or Amy. They were both incredible documentaries, especially Senna.

We all know this is a vast amount of footage and audio of Michael, that he wanted recorded. It could be the definitive look on the world's greatest superstar and the most in-depth look at the most famous celebrity to ever grace the earth. In my opinion seeing and listening Michael tell his own story, is much more fascinating than any actors portrayal of him.

I haven't watched Senna but I know it's from the same director who did Amy. Amy was indeed a very well made film documentary loving how the director let her speak a thing Spike Lee hasn't allowed Michael in his documentaries. Asif Kapadia didn't rely on the talking heads excessively and showed personal, studio and performances.

Michael needs a documentary film which allows him to tell the story of his life in his own words since we know Michael himself had a camera recording him constantly since the Thriller days. No actor has the talent, the, capability, the presence, charisma to make justice to the legend of such caliber, the only one who could make him justice is Michael himself.

I totally agree with respect's comment about the problems in biopics. Probably all known and successful films of that kind have had people complaining about the innacuracies, changes, exaggerations and falsehoods portrayed in them and we know many people when it comes to Michael have all kinds of agendas excepting to tell THE TRUTH.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would not be completely against it... but the problem is that you're never gonna please everyone. If you portray him as a complete saint, then some people are gonna react negatively and if you portray him as some kind of freak then a whole other group of people (us) are gonna react negatively. Getting that balance would be extremely difficult. Look at that recent Thatcher biography "The Iron Lady", that tried it's hardest to skate around a lot of the political issues and just portray the story of a woman getting older... and it still divided people.

Another issue is length. Michael had a long career and so much happened that putting it all on screen would make either a 4 hour long movie, or an incomplete story with lots of annoying gaps.

The way I would do it is to scale it right down. Do something like Frost/Nixon and focus on one short period of time. Maybe set it during the 2005 trial. Show the media sensationalisation and how he was lynched before he ever set foot in the court. The raid on his home and stuff like that. Then again maybe not, I don't think I really wanna go through all that again. I do think an interesting movie could be made though.

I don't really want a biopic I'd rather it be a documentary. In-depth, that goes for more than just an hour or two and that delves into the artist and man and not just the allegations. For me, he needs to be re-introduced as the artist/performer and human being and how he reached the level of success and admiration he did. That's taken a back seat to the allegations and all the negativity that's been predominate.

Biopics always have to insert drama for interest and the truth will no doubt be inflated and even re-written for the sake of the story. I'm not really interested in seeing an actors perception of Michael. There are two many layers to this man's life and how it effected him personally as well as his art to ever be able to portray him accurately.

It all depends of course on who was doing the documentary. If they can approach it objectively and truthfully and if they have the license and the will to do that.

But most of the public do not know even a fraction about Michael's life because of the frankly 'fake news' that media always put out about him.

Unrelated to anything here but ugh, this term is really starting to annoy me now that Donald Trump has made it his new favourite word ahaha.

Oh absolutely. The issue with this is that Michael very rarely gave in-depth interviews about his creative works, especially post-1980s. I'm sure the Estate have access to tapes of studio chatter, featuring Michael discussing his works in the studio (similar to this). There could be some valuable tidbits in there?

With that once again we would have a documentary focusing on controversy, not on why he was actually famous: his music, dance and art.

Of course, if the goal of a documentary maker is to set the record straight on the allegations, that is a respectable goal too and IF it is done well and fairly I would support it. But then it needs to focus all of the allegations, not just 2005 which may still leave a lot of unanswered questions in people about 1993.

But I get the impression in this thread we are rather talking about something that shows MJ's life as a whole, not something focused exclusively on the allegations. Also especially about the allegations a documentary would be a more proper format IMO than a biopic.

I would absolutely be keen for a documentary in the future that focuses on the allegations and sets everything straight. Hell, not even a documentary but a series. You ever heard of that Netflix series Making a Murderer? It's a 10 episode series that investigates the story of Steven Avery, who served 18 years in prison for the wrongful conviction of sexual assault and attempted murder. The series was released to complete critical acclaim and helped spread the word of that man's innocence to the general public. Imagine something similar for Michael? A 10 episode series that focuses on the allegations and settles it for the public once and for all.

But of course, Michael Jackson was an artist and there should be documentaries that focus on him as an artist. I believe that should be their focus especially at first, and then move into the controversies. The Estate always try to avoid these topics, and fair enough, but it would be fantastic for us to have a definitive piece of media that we can point to and say "Here, watch this. It has everything you need to know". A Michael Jackson Netflix series similar to Making a Murderer would make BIG news on various social media websites, I feel it would help set the record straight for many people especially now that they can see the evidence that he was innocent.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would not be completely against it... but the problem is that you're never gonna please everyone. If you portray him as a complete saint, then some people are gonna react negatively and if you portray him as some kind of freak then a whole other group of people (us) are gonna react negatively. Getting that balance would be extremely difficult. Look at that recent Thatcher biography "The Iron Lady", that tried it's hardest to skate around a lot of the political issues and just portray the story of a woman getting older... and it still divided people.

I don't think anyone would say Michael needs to be portrayed as a saint - he was a man who had flaws and weakness too (e.g. tendency to surround himself with sycophants) and most fans accept this. I don't think the case of Thatcher is comparable because there are no real right or wrongs in politics so Thatcher is still divisive in Britain today and I doubt the left vs right argument will end anytime soon. For Michael, the only people who would have a problem with him being portrayed as a good and innocent man would be unreasonable dedicated haters.

Biopics always have to insert drama for interest and the truth will no doubt be inflated and even re-written for the sake of the story. I'm not really interested in seeing an actors perception of Michael. There are two many layers to this man's life and how it effected him personally as well as his art to ever be able to portray him accurately.

Yes Michael's life and character is more complicated then most but that's kind of the definition of acting - to capture the layers in a person's life - and I think great actors could do it. There have been many virtuoso performances in biopics and in fact biopics tend to be some of the greatest of films (just in recent years The Theory of Everything, The Iron Lady, The King's Speech, Lincoln, The Queen, Ray...) and are almost always taken by the top actors/actresses. Because the best actors/actresses are looking for the challenging roles, the challenge of capturing the character of icons of history. So I think there would be lots of interest from top actors in playing MJ - it would be like the ultimate surefire Oscar-winner.

And thinking about it, quite a few critically acclaimed biopics do focus on the subject in question struggling with illness/disability so a biopic would be a great way of showing how Michael struggled with his vitiligo/lupus/aftermath of burn accident - that would really humanise MJ and make people think twice before making fun of him because of his medical conditions.

Last edited:
Found this on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/EarnestVale...704876864392:0

Also this on twitter: https://twitter.com/herotalentgroup/...81612763795456

Mike Biopic/documentary airing this year on channel 5 in the uk.

Thoughts? I just really hope they don't f*ck it up!!

Sorry, working links below:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EarnestVal...0055081496043/699704876864392/?type=3&theater

Twitter: https://twitter.com/herotalentgroup/status/793481612763795456

Back