Never knew this about the Thriller Vinyl LP!

Spidey

Proud Member
I have the original Thriller vinyl my parents bought me. The back says "Produced by Quincy Jones."
Below that it says "Co-Produced by Michael Jackson"

Apparently, the very first pressing did not list the co-producer credit for Michael Jackson. Sonically, this vinyl is supposed to be the best quality album. Soon, the sales really took off and the pressings had to ramp up. Epic quickly corrected this credit and most of the Thriller LPs contain the corrected to include MJ as the co-producer.

After the sales really took off, the pressing quality diminished trying to keep up with the quantity.

So apparently, if you are after the "best quality" vinyl pressing, you need to find the album art that lacks the credit. There are some vinyls out there that still have good quality, but it varies.

I wonder if the original first pressing of the album is worth much?

The first pressing also had the lyrics to longer versions of songs that wound up being shortened. I have still have it, but I lost the lyric sheet years ago. I'd be more interested in the original pressing of Off The Wall, with the orange Epic label. Some of the songs have different mixes, which were changed when it went to the blue/black label. I'm not totally sure, but I think the 8-track tape version has the original mixes too.

I wonder if the original first pressing of the album is worth much?

Its the best selling album in the world, I don't think any version is worth that much (bar signed versions and maybe test pressings?).

I have the original version I believe (without the Co-Produced by MJ credit), was the first Thriller vinyl I saw and it didn't cost much either.

Last edited:
So does mine, just has Quincy Jones on it and it is dated 1982.

The record hardly gets played as its worn out. Still the Jacket is nice and I like looking at it.

I have the early Thriller, its very cheap and widely available.

I also have the early Off The Wall, not expensive either, but to be honest the earlier mixes of RWY and GOTF are not as good without the handclaps.

Thriller sounds impeccable though

Back