Moonwalker's Smooth Criminal

Progmetty

Proud Member
I've been trying to say hello and introduce myself in the introductions section but it seems like I don't have permission to post there yet. So hello here :)
I'm a very old MJ fan, well relatively old, I became a fan in the Dangerous era, so around 25 years.
Anyway, to the thread topic. I find it absolutely ridiculous that Bad has been reissued twice, as far as I know, and there has been many "collections", greatest hits and box sets yet none contain the Moonwalker version of Smooth Criminal with the extra line in the second verse. Truly ridiculous.
Does anybody know why? Also anyone has any insight on why these lines were cut off the album version? Or where they recorded specially for the movie?

I've been trying to say hello and introduce myself in the introductions section but it seems like I don't have permission to post there yet. So hello here :)
I'm a very old MJ fan, well relatively old, I became a fan in the Dangerous era, so around 25 years.
Anyway, to the thread topic. I find it absolutely ridiculous that Bad has been reissued twice, as far as I know, and there has been many "collections", greatest hits and box sets yet none contain the Moonwalker version of Smooth Criminal with the extra line in the second verse. Truly ridiculous.
Does anybody know why? Also anyone has any insight on why these lines were cut off the album version? Or where they recorded specially for the movie?

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but welcome to the forum.

I'd imagine that they needed some filler for the short film, so instead of just an instrumental part or repeating the chorus, they asked him to do some more lines for the song.

I ripped the audio from the DVD because the video version is my preferred version of the track. Breakdown and all. I like the instrumental part too when he does the lean.

Could it have been edited for time on the LP? Didn't Michael sing those Moonwalker lines - at least in part - when he sang it at MSG in '88?

Wasn't an entire verse of Bad cut for time? (I've never heard it)

I'm sure we discussed the Moonwalker lyrics before on here...

I'm surprised that the extra Moonwalker lyrics weren't added into the CD version of the album. I can understand them being cut from the Cassette version, because they needed more space.

Also in later CD versions the spoken intro for IJCSLY was cut, so the extra Moonwalker lyrics for SC could have been added instead.

I prefer the video version with those extra lines in the second verse. The album version seems very repetitive.

I'd imagine that they needed some filler for the short film, so instead of just an instrumental part or repeating the chorus, they asked him to do some more lines for the song.

So there's a video on youtube titled Making of Moonwalker, Frank DiLeo says they were filming Moonwalker at the same time they were still finishing up the Recording of Bad, so I don't think Michael had to go back to the studio to record the extra line, I think the Moonwalker version of the second verse IS the original version and the line was cut for the album release for some reason.
The other reason that makes me believe the Moonwalker version is the original is that in the album version; the second verse actually is shorter than the first verse, by two lines, but the Moonwalker version is balanced:
First verse:
Line 1: As he came into the window, it was the sound of a crescendo
Line 2: He came into her apartment, he left the bloodstains on the carpet
Line 3: She ran underneath the table, he could see she was unable
Line 4: So she ran into the bedroom, she was struck down, it was her doom

Second Verse:
Line 1: So they came into the outway, it was Sunday, what a black day
Line 2: Every time I tried to find him, he's leaving no clues left behind him
Line 3: And he had no way of knowing of the suspect or what to expect
Line 4: Mouth to mouth resuscitation, sounding heartbeats, intimidations

The Bad album version misses the second and third lines from the second verse and makes it feel unbalanced.

I ripped the audio from the DVD because the video version is my preferred version of the track. Breakdown and all. I like the instrumental part too when he does the lean.

Several people did that, I don't like any of the ripped versions, audio wise they always sound shitty, that's why I'm wondering why, with all the reissues of Bad and the collections, why haven't they given us a decent studio recording of the original version.

Could it have been edited for time on the LP?

See I thought about the "edited for time" theory, it's the most likely scenario, but what a poor decision! I mean I know Quincy Jones didn't like Smooth Criminal but Michael had to have known that it was the centerpiece of the album, arguably the best song on the album IMO, unless Quincy really influenced him in thinking the song wasn't so unique, which would explain why it wasn't one of the first singles released, it was actually the seventh when I think it should have been the first or second.
But even then, edit a verse short of a line to save time?! instead of, say, trim the chorus at the end! Or trim some of that IJCSLY's boredom! Such a poor choice IMO.
On Bad 25 documentary they said Michael wanted the album to be called Smooth Criminal initially, so Michael had a lot of recognition for the strength of the song for sure.
The only living people who can tell us why these lines were cut are QJ and that engineer, I forgot his name and as far as I know they have never been asked or addressed the subject. Basically because fans don't conduct interviews, just reporters with weak research.

Didn't Michael sing those Moonwalker lines - at least in part - when he sang it at MSG in '88?

I actually didn't know that, thanks for telling me! I looked it up and yeah he did, in part like you said, only found it in audio though, no video footage. I think it actually further proves that the cut lines were in the original version, not just added for Moonwalker.

Wasn't an entire verse of Bad cut for time? (I've never heard it)
I'm sure we discussed the Moonwalker lyrics before on here...

I never heard of that Bad verse you're talking about, but that sounds interesting.
I searched on the forums and I couldn't find a topic about it.

I'm surprised that the extra Moonwalker lyrics weren't added into the CD version of the album. I can understand them being cut from the Cassette version, because they needed more space.

Also in later CD versions the spoken intro for IJCSLY was cut, so the extra Moonwalker lyrics for SC could have been added instead.

I agree, it's quiet a mystery, an annoying one haha

I prefer the video version with those extra lines in the second verse. The album version seems very repetitive.

The song itself is repetitive, filled with the same question time and again.

I don't view Smooth Criminal as repetitive, lyrically maybe but melodically it's very intriguing. It's actually artistically brilliant IMO how Michael sang the chorus and how many variation he applied to the same line, "Annie are you okay?". I think saying Smooth Criminal is repetitive is like saying Pink Floyd's The Great Gig in The Sky or Set The Control ForThe Heart of The Sun is repetitive.

I think the Moonwalker version was an early one. The song and the whole BAD album was still in the making and not finalized then, and at a later point of the music productions process they got rid of some rather unnecessary sections (like they did with the song Lady In My Life etc). It just evolves like that and then they stick with the final mix and edit(s).

I havn't heard the original Maxi-Single of Smooth Criminal in ages. Are these extra lyrics maybe included in the "extended dance mix"?
(edit: ...just checked, extra lyrics not in there)

Last edited:
I think the Moonwalker version was an early one. The song and the whole BAD album was still in the making and not finalized then, and at a later point of the music productions process they got rid of some rather unnecessary sections (like they did with the song Lady In My Life etc). It just evolves like that and then they stick with the final mix and edit(s).

I havn't heard the original Maxi-Single of Smooth Criminal in ages. Are these extra lyrics maybe included in the "extended dance mix"?

Yeah, it's just like the alternate synth solo in the Bad short film. I think it was shot around 6 months before the LP was released.

No, the extra lines are not on any official release.

That's what I've been saying though, even from a production process stand point, it's a very stupid decision to make, trim down a second verse and make it shorter than the first verse in a song that only has two verses and a whole lot of chorus time? Why?! But we won't get to find that out unless someone who was present talks about it.
This youtube channel has a copy that sounds too clean to be ripped from Moonwalker, I have no idea how the guy obtained it:
https://youtu.be/r5Lgyiyg6dY

So when was the Smooth Criminal video recorded? Some time in 1987?

Yeah, it's just like the alternate synth solo in the Bad short film. I think it was shot around 6 months before the LP was released.

No, the extra lines are not on any official release.

I agree with both you, that's my guess too. It really is just the natural evolution of creating art; Michael, Quincy and the team likely thought that it worked best without the lines... so they removed them off the studio version.

Watching it briefly, it wouldn't be hard to seamlessly cut out the footage with the additional lines in it. I can think of a number of reasons why they might've kept it in, but obviously not being involved I wouldn't know exactly. All I can say is that it's not the first or last time Michael would feature an altered version of the song for the short film, the alternative synth in 'Bad' is just one of many (perfect) examples.

If anything, this is rather typical behaviour of Michael Jackson :p

So when was the Smooth Criminal video recorded? Some time in 1987?

Yes, February - April 1987.

That's what I've been saying though, even from a production process stand point, it's a very stupid decision to make, trim down a second verse and make it shorter than the first verse in a song that only has two verses and a whole lot of chorus time? Why?! But we won't get to find that out unless someone who was present talks about it.
This youtube channel has a copy that sounds too clean to be ripped from Moonwalker, I have no idea how the guy obtained it:

Well, I don't think it's a 'very stupid' decision to make, it's never bothered me, the song still works exceptionally well and is widely regarded as amongst Michael's best and most popular. If anything, the removal makes the song different and unique which isn't always a bad thing. Why always follow the same pattern? Spice things up a lil!

That version is fan-made, as are a lot of their (admittedly cool) remixes. I'm too lazy to put on the Blu-ray and compare it's audio to my CD version butttttt here's what I imagine they did. They ripped the surround sound stems off the Moonwalker blu-ray, isolated the track with Michael's vocal on them and chucked them on top of the readily available Smooth Criminal instrumental. With a bit of mixing, it shouldn't be hard to get a seamless edit.

Last edited:
The "Annie are you okay?!" is magically addictive. SC is repetitive but damn amazing. The strings in the chorus are beautiful.

Yes, February - April 1987.
Oh wow so it was filmed before the Bad tour '87 - what about the rest of Moonwalker? Because Michael looks older as in looks like Michael from the 1988 leg of the Bad tour in the Speed Demon segment and Come Together?

Something still doesn't sound quite right on that, to me. At around 1:31 the lead vocal appears to drop slightly in volume and overall quality suggesting to me it's been taken from a different source. Interesting that the uploader is presenting it as featuring on some kind of promo CD supplied to HMV in the UK when the Moonwalker blu-ray was released. It seems highly unlikely however as the blu-ray was a Warner Brothers release I believe and nothing to do with the Michael Jackson Estate or Sony...

Regards that extra verse in Bad. I saw lyric sheets from the Bad sessions with a verse where someone (not Michael) had written beside the 'lost' verse "Edit for single release" or "Edit for radio", something like that - however on reading through I realised it didn't even feature on the Bad LP nor the extended Bad 12".

Would be nice if they released the Moonwalker version on an official release.

Insted of the dreadful Pitbull remix they could/should have released it on BAD25.

Hopefully they will release it one day. :)

This video revealed MJ the figure he symbolized.. You want to explain what Michael was as an iconic figure - THIS is the video you show.. trademark after trademark, a lot of charisma/swag/style..

This video revealed MJ the figure he symbolized.. You want to explain what Michael was as an iconic figure - THIS is the video you show.. trademark after trademark, a lot of charisma/swag/style..

Whenever I picture Michael in my head, the first image I see is always him wearing the Smooth Criminal outfit. I really wish he would have worn the entire outfit when he perfomed the song live, but he obviously couldn't because it would take too much time to change in and out of costumes.

^ This Is It would have been the first time he wore it!!! ahhhhh

Regards that extra verse in Bad. I saw lyric sheets from the Bad sessions with a verse where someone (not Michael) had written beside the 'lost' verse "Edit for single release" or "Edit for radio", something like that - however on reading through I realised it didn't even feature on the Bad LP nor the extended Bad 12".

Not to go off topic but you mean the actual song BAD?? If so, I wasn't aware that a verse was cut from it. Does anyone know what this verse is?

Not to go off topic but you mean the actual song BAD?? If so, I wasn't aware that a verse was cut from it. Does anyone know what this verse is?

EDIT: Okay after spending a while reading this, I don't think there's much new in here. I'll keep it here anyway hahah

3gIiv0a.jpg

EDIT: Okay after spending a while reading this, I don't think there's much new in here. I'll keep it here anyway hahah

What I saw didn't appear to be that early a draft of the song.

The lyric sheet I saw matched the finished version except for the inclusion of this other verse. I'm fairly sure it appeared after the 'throwin' stones to hide your hands' line.

Back