Is Earth Song Michael's MOST powerful song?

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
I think it might be.
Whenever I listen to it I feel like I need to hold onto some trees not to be blown away.

IMO it's also the best example that an artist/entertainer doesn't have to be a traditional belter to deliver extremely powerful, knock your socks off, snatch your edges AND your wig vocals.

Just listen to this.

Last edited:
For me Michael's most powerful song would be Man In The Mirror but Earth Song is a close second.

I'd have to agree with Earth Song. Not just his vocal alone but the emotion he throws out.

Earth Song is incredible. The lyrics, the feeling and those VOCALS!!! Nobody other than Michael could deliver vocals with such power and raw emotion.
One day the studio a cappella will leak and I will lose all chill

I'll say at the very least one of the most under rated songs that was released with a supporting video for it... Many many people in the U.S. never even are aware of the song.

Earth Song is incredible. The lyrics, the feeling and those VOCALS!!! Nobody other than Michael could deliver vocals with such power and raw emotion.
One day the studio a cappella will leak and I will lose all chill
IKR!
Michael was truly one of a kind.
His voice was so versatile.
It's like I said before, Michael may not have been a traditional belter, but I'll be damned if he didn't serve the most powerful emotional vocals I've ever heard.
Michael didn't play around with that 4 octave vocal range.

I'm very different from a lot of people regarding animal rights, so while "Earth Song" is definitely powerful, I don't know if I'd place it at the top. My basic stance is that we should care for both animals and the planet, but people ultimately come first. The mere fact we even discuss how we should treat animals, is evidence that we're above them. I'm reasonably sure wild animals don't have a discussion group, about how to deal with "those pesky humans".

I'm very different from a lot of people regarding animal rights, so while "Earth Song" is definitely powerful, I don't know if I'd place it at the top. My basic stance is that we should care for both animals and the planet, but people ultimately come first. The mere fact we even discuss how we should treat animals, is evidence that we're above them. I'm reasonably sure wild animals don't have a discussion group, about how to deal with "those pesky humans".

Oh....well I wasn't just taking about the song's message.
I was talking about the song in its entirety

For the video and the sheer power of Michael's vocals alone - probably. But then I listen to Man in the Mirror, and Heal the World and will think the same thing. It had the biggest and most epic video for these type of "Conscience songs", but it was the latest too. It is hard to say yes, But If I look at the other "Conscience songs" - dramatic and thoughtful subject matter, pleading and loud vocals and just sheer power we have.
Thriller - Human nature (Not really environment or war like the other songs - but MJ is questioning why we are that way)
Bad - Man in the mirror (This song covers everything and has the epic video) to me this may be the most powerful song and had MJ had the 1995 video technology back then, he may have had a just as epic video.
Dangerous - This has besides Heal the World, which is powerful, but a bit sugary for my liking with the kiddie choir being trundled out, but the message is nice. I think Will you be there has the most power, yes it's about love and loyalty rather than War, Poverty, Injustice and the Environment in these songs, this song is pure power.
History - Has this song, but also the powerful TDCAU with both of its epic videos and of course the message in the song. So on later reflection probably not. Earth Song is powerful, but it is mainly the video that grabs you.

So in all, I would say Earth song would be the 3rd most powerful behind Man in the Mirror, Will You be there and probably equal with TDCAU. That is not to detract from it, it is still an incredible song and the video is still mind blowing now.

I'll say at the very least one of the most under rated songs that was released with a supporting video for it... Many many people in the U.S. never even are aware of the song.

It was his biggest selling single in the UK

That's more unknown than underrated. I wouldn't call the song underrated, it's definitely one of the most praised songs off HIStory.

^ In Europe ye, and unknown cannot be rated. I will tell you In the United States, most are not aware the song even existed.. no one really praises it here simply because it was never talked about until after he passed when videos would play on a loop, and of course youtube. growing up I cannot tell you how many times people fell in love with the song in the 00's simply because I introduced it to them. "How come I've never heard this?" is something I'd get often.

^^Thats true. That's why I was glad that they sang it for his Grammy tribute as well as Neyo singing it at the African American museum opening.

That's more unknown than underrated. I wouldn't call the song underrated, it's definitely one of the most praised songs off HIStory.
Sadly, a lot of people in America chose to believe the media in 1993, so their knowledge of Michael's career ends at the "Dangerous" album. After that, he became more of a joke for cruel people to toss around on a whim.

Is Earth Song Michael's MOST powerful song?

Could be. The message alone says a lot.
Then we get into the whole delivery of the song and the way he emotes .... with those vocals. Amazing!
Its one of my most absolute favorites. But also, as it was mentioned here, MITM and WHE aint short stopping either.
The man was a musical genius, IMO. :)

Vocally, absolutely. There's a good reason why he chose to leave recording Earth Song's vocals to the very end.

The thing I hate most about this song is that people dismiss it as a "Michael Jackson save the world song" generally, but good jesus, if you listen to everything thats going on in this songs, between the instrumentation getting louder as Michael does, the mood changing from despair to anger.

It's quite powerful to say the least. I probably think it's his most powerful too.

To me, yes. The sheer emotion of his vocals is enough to make it his most powerful, in my opinion.
The way he starts soft and gentle, to the way it ends with him screaming for us to listen is goosebump-inducing, every time. My sister told me that she can't listen to it because it gives her "too many chills."

He had a message, and he was screaming for us to listen to it.

Earth Song was supposed to consist of three parts. :)

Earth Song was supposed to consist of three parts. :)

How? - it does have 3 parts doesn't it? Quiet beginnig, the middle section and then the grand finale where MJ screams addlibs

Do you have a source?

For me, it will always be his most powerful song. This is the song I became fan with. :wub:
But also in general.. I mean, it's not only a song, it is a hymn. And if you read Joe Vogel's book on Earth Song it's just.. "wow!".
Reading the description of how Michael sang those ad libs.. you just get goosebumps all over. Definitely one of his most powerful songs ever.

Back