Thriller has been certified 33x platnium.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' Extends Reign as Highest Certified Album in U.S. History
2/16/2017 by Keith Caulfield

thriller-trade-cr-Kevin-Mazur-2017-billboard-1548.jpg

Kevin Mazur, Doug Morris, Rob Stringer, John Branca, L.A. Reid, Richard Storey and Karen Langford.

The seminal 1982 album passes the 33-times platinum mark.

Michael Jackson’s blockbuster album Thriller just keeps on getting bigger. The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has certified the set at 33-times platinum in the U.S., extending Thriller’s record as the highest certified album in history.

That means Thriller -- released in 1982 -- has earned 33 million equivalent album units in the U.S. That sum blends traditional album sales (one album sale equals one unit), tracks sold from an album (10 tracks sold equals one unit) and on-demand audio and/or video streams (1,500 streams equals one unit).

A plaque commemorating the milestone was presented at the home of Epic Records chairman Antonio "L.A." Reid over Grammy weekend, where Sony Music CEO Doug Morris, Columbia Records chairman and incoming Sony Music CEO Rob Stringer, Sony president, commercial group Richard Storey, attorneys Karen Langford and John Branca toasted the certification.

The RIAA revamped its Gold & Platinum Awards Program on Feb. 1, 2016, growing from a pure album sales certification process to one that includes tracks and streams. That same day, Thriller’s certification was raised from 30 million to 32 million.

Thriller continues to maintain its place as the highest-certified album ever, ahead of Eagles’ Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, with 29 million. (It was last certified on Jan. 30, 2006.)

Thriller was released through Sony Music Entertainment’s Epic Records and spent 37 nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart. The mega-successful set was the first to generate a record seven top 10 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, including two No. 1s: “Billie Jean” (No. 1 for seven weeks) and “Beat It” (No. 1 for three weeks). In 2015, Thriller was named the biggest album of all time by a male artist on the Billboard 200 chart, and the No. 3 title overall.

Simultaneous with Thriller’s raised certification, its follow-up, Bad, climbs to 10-times platinum (the RIAA’s Diamond award). Jackson is one of just 22 acts with more than one Diamond-certified album.

Representatives for Sony and Jackson’s estate say that Thriller has sold 105 million copies globally.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7693419/michael-jackson-thriller-highest-certified-album

This is just wow.
Michael is truly the King.
This album was released DECADES ago, is ALREADY the BEST selling album of all time, but is STILL getting
To celebrate here's an obligatory MJ King pic.

screen-shot-2015-03-25-at-10-35-43-pm.png

Last edited:
BOOOM!

Michael slayed in life, and is now slaying in the afterlife. All bow down to the King of pop, rock, and soul.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7693419/michael-jackson-thriller-highest-certified-album

This is just wow.
Michael is truly the King.
This album was released DECADES ago, is ALREADY the BEST selling album of all time, but is STILL getting
To celebrate here's an obligatory MJ King pic.
screen-shot-2015-03-25-at-10-35-43-pm.png

Image where these albums would be had the media and the parasites not destroyed him.
They were really afraid that MJ would become the best selling artist of all time ahead of Elvis and the Beatles.
They didn't want that and it's obvious why.

Y'all just ignore that spelling error in the thread title.
It legit autocorrected to platnium, and I only noticed it after I posted the thread.:lol:
Maybe a mod can fix it.:)

Pink Diamond Princess;4184028 said:
Representatives for Sony and Jackson’s estate say that Thriller has sold 105 million copies globally.

Awesome news, although I'm certain, soon enough someone comes out with lower numbers:cheeky:

So happy to hear that Bad has finally achieved the Diamond status. Now time to update Essential, Numbers One, HIStory and many of his singles.

This leaves Michael 1.5M in certs from becoming the 6th best-selling albums act in the US ever.

C4yuFbiUYAEAIO6.jpg

Michael Jackson ‏@michaeljackson
‘Bad’ is now the second Michael Jackson album to reach RIAA-certified diamond status.

I guess that RIAA has stopped sticking vinyl albums in ever increasing numbers to the award. These should be easier to fix to the wall :) I wonder who designed the 'Thriller 33 x award?

I guess that RIAA has stopped sticking vinyl albums in ever increasing numbers to the award. These should be easier to fix to the wall :) I wonder who designed the 'Thriller 33 x award?
I miss that, though. That plaque Quincy has in his living room is really beautiful.

What is Off the Wall's last certification?

And Bad finally also reached Diamond (10x Platinum) status.

Certificates.jpg

Off the Wall should be even ahead of both Bad and Thriller. It's the best album ever made and unlike
Thriller and Bad it's 100% flawless. Any data on where Off the Wall stands now?

How on earth did Thriller go from 30x platinum to 33x platinum within a little more than one year?
The equivalent of 3 million copies sold? It must be streaming, not the physical copies.

book2.jpg

Last edited:
Great news.

What is Dangerous certified? - Hopefully Dangerous will one day also have Diamond status.

Someone wrote that MJ was only 1.5 million albums sold from being the 6th most selling act in the U.S. - When has OTW, Dangerous, HIStory, BOTDF and Invincible last been updated and given official certifications? - Maybe if the updated them all he would be #6 ??

Also - Xscape sold OK in the US didn't it? - Has it been certified? - How much has it sold so far?

If/when an all new MJ album is released - if it's good and get promoted and has some videos it could sell 1 million in the US I guess. - Maybe more if the songs are good and the promo is great.

Off the Wall should be even ahead of both Bad and Thriller. It's the best album ever made and unlike
Thriller and Bad it's 100% flawless. Any data on where Off the Wall stands now?

How on earth did Thriller go from 30x platinum to 33x platinum within a little more than one year?
The equivalent of 3 million copies sold? It must be streaming, not the physical copies.

book2.jpg

I thought it went from 32 million to 33 million in one year?

Are you sure your facts are correct on that one?

Can't wait for the day Dangerous is going to be ranked as Platinum.

I thought it went from 32 million to 33 million in one year?

Are you sure your facts are correct on that one?

I see now, the reports about 30 million were before streaming was included.

December 16, 2015 | Gold & Platinum
Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' First Ever 30X Multi-Platinum RIAA Certification
https://www.riaa.com/michael-jacksons-thriller-first-ever-30x-multi-platinum-riaa-certification/

Feb 1, 2016
Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' Hits 32 Million As RIAA Adds Streaming To Gold And Platinum Certs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/melinda...ming-to-gold-and-platinum-certs/#244a2dfd90d3

So 1 million+ per year. Still a lot.

2X plat was added to Thriller for streaming and now another Plat addition is likely a mix of tracked sales and streams.

MJD's estimates for Thriller should have it around 33X Plat on pure shipments alone but I'll take what we can get.

Dangerous is 7X Plat, it got overcertified in 2000 but has since caught up following Michael's death. I don't think its close to 8X but club sales are hard to track. HIStory is ready to move up a Plat level, so is Essential MJ and Number Ones will soon be ready to move 2X Plat levels. XSCAPE is Gold and won't reach Plat anytime soon unless they overship like with the Michael album (they've both sold about the same in the US). Off The Wall is anyone's guess - its sales are really badly tracked. Wouldn't be surprised if it was ready to move up but sales aren't well followed.

- Dangerous was last certified in May 2000 for 7X Platinum. I'm pretty sure 17 years later, it is now eligible for 8X Platinum.
- Off The Wall was last certified in August 2009 for 8X platinum. I'm sure with the Off The Wall reissue last year and its good sales subsequently, it should be eligible for 9X Platinum soon. With the new rules counting streams, it will hopefully also reach the Diamond status in the next 4-5 years.
- HIStory was last certified for 7X Platinum in October 1999 for sales of 3.5 million as it's a double disc album. I'm sure it has sold another 0.5 million since so it should be eligible for 8X Platinum.
- Numbers One has been 4X Platinum since May 2013 but is eligible for 5X Platinum as it has sold over 5 million in the US.

Last edited:
Another certification for Michael

BPI:
MICHAEL JACKSON - BEAT IT
Gold Certification (Single) 17 February 2017
SONY MUSIC (EPIC)

Another certification for Michael

BPI:
MICHAEL JACKSON - BEAT IT
Gold Certification (Single) 17 February 2017
SONY MUSIC (EPIC)

See that's the thing. If only one of Michael Jackson's biggest songs (of which there are many) in only ONE market has sold almost half a million then his singles tally should significantly add to Michael's overall sales. I really do think those are downplayed.

See that's the thing. If only one of Michael Jackson's biggest songs (of which there are many) in only ONE market has sold almost half a million then his singles tally should significantly add to Michael's overall sales. I really do think those are downplayed.

His singles are definitely missing a lot of certifications especially in the US. Also I find it surprising that the only MJ song that crossed the million mark in the UK is not Billie Jean, not Beat It, not Thriller, not Man In The Mirror, not Black or White but Earth Song.

His singles are definitely missing a lot of certifications especially in the US. Also I find it surprising that the only MJ song that crossed the million mark in the UK is not Billie Jean, not Beat It, not Thriller, not Man In The Mirror, not Black or White but Earth Song.

I'd be very interested to see the digital sales of those songs from 2009 until now.

IDK why Michaels stuff does not have the certifications it has technically earned.. I mean they could collect the information within a day, and go through the process fairly quickly.. estate needs to start pressuring for it!

Back