Serious Request - Comedian Ricky Gervais and MJ

seany

Proud Member
*Update with further clarification on page 5*

Dear fan community,

This is a genuine call for help regarding the following matter.

The comedian Ricky Gervais kicked off his new comedy tour last night called 'Humanity, work in progress' in London.

Towards the beginning of the show he launched a tirade of slander and abuse towards Michael.

Now let me tell you this, I have been to comedy shows in the past where MJ had been the subject of ridicule and I stood up and proudly booed. There have been shows I've been to whereby comedians have said funny things about MJ that he would have laughed at. Last night however was off the scale. To get a gist, he basically called MJ a peado, referencing jokes and other nonsense. I was so shocked and disgusted I couldn't bring myself to boo. I felt a bit paralysed from the crap he was spewing.

I am in shock. Up until last night I was a huge fan of Ricky Gervais, NOT ANYMORE. I left the show early and spent part of today contemplating what I can do to reach out to him to get him to reconsider his routine as he prepares to take it across the world to hundreds of thousands of fans.

Earlier I sent him a four segment tweet hoping he will read it. Does anyone have any idea of how we can spread the word? Perhaps we could all tweet pictures of us breaking their DVD's of his (okay, may not be appropriate but could be a powerful message) or just constantly tweeting to him etc. I've not had to do this in a long time.

The MJ fan community when united can help to change outcomes that benefit MJ in a huge way. This tour spoke so badly of Michael that I really feel the Estate should go after him for defamation of character. I am a liberal kind of guy with a dark sense of humor (to an extent), but this was super horrific even for Gervais' standard.

Please can we do something together? Ideas welcome! I would say that the most effective action would be to tweet him and be sincere, telling him that you respect him but he doesn't have to refer to MJ like that in his new show.

His tour kicks off properly tonight in Bristol and continues from there. In the meantime his twitter handle is:

@Rickygervais

Tour info:

https://www.artsdepot.co.uk/comedy/ricky-gervais-humanity-work-progress

Last edited:
Dear fan community,

This is a genuine call for help regarding the following matter.

The comedian Ricky Gervais kicked off his new comedy tour last night called 'Humanity, work in progress' in London.

Towards the beginning of the show he launched a tirade of slander and abuse towards Michael.

Now let me tell you this, I have been to comedy shows in the past where MJ had been the subject of ridicule and I stood up and proudly booed. There have been shows I've been to whereby comedians have said funny things about MJ that he would have laughed at. Last night however was off the scale. To get a gist, he basically called MJ a peado, referencing jokes and other nonsense. I was so shocked and disgusted I couldn't bring myself to boo. I felt a bit paralysed from the crap he was spewing.

I am in shock. Up until last night I was a huge fan of Ricky Gervais, NOT ANYMORE. I left the show early and spent part of today contemplating what I can do to reach out to him to get him to reconsider his routine as he prepares to take it across the world to hundreds of thousands of fans.

Earlier I sent him a four segment tweet hoping he will read it. Does anyone have any idea of how we can spread the word? Perhaps we could all tweet pictures of us breaking their DVD's of his (okay, may not be appropriate but could be a powerful message) or just constantly tweeting to him etc. I've not had to do this in a long time.

The MJ fan community when united can help to change outcomes that benefit MJ in a huge way. This tour spoke so badly of Michael that I really feel the Estate should go after him for defamation of character. I am a liberal kind of guy with a dark sense of humor (to an extent), but this was super horrific even for Gervais' standard.

Please can we do something together? Ideas welcome!

His tour kicks off properly tonight in Bristol and continues from there. In the meantime his twitter handle is:

@Rickygervais

Tour info:

https://www.artsdepot.co.uk/comedy/ricky-gervais-humanity-work-progress

Honestly, I suggest that we do nothing.
Unless the idiot makes it a regular part of his joke lineup why draw attention to it.

Sorry if I was not clear enough... It IS part of the show that will tour. He focuses on MJ for a good 6-8 minutes. His point is exploring how terrorism, murderers and paedophiles have changed the way they operate from ‘back in the day’ to now. He used MJ as an example of the best version of a paedophile.

Most people don't even know who this guy is (I sure don't, nor do I care to find out). I think giving him this kind of attention will only encourage him further. You have already given him free promotion with this. Just ignore him and stop supporting him. That's all you can do.

First of all, its this kind of attitude, the 'lay down and ignore it' bullshit that I cannot abide.

I asked for advice from fans who will help suggest way to challenge him, not just accept it therefore sadly your response was unhelpful.

Secondly, I don't know where you're from but RG is a household name in the UK and his shows are selling out.

I don't want to ignore him. I'd rather be a Rosa Parkes than a Go-along-to-get-along any day.

seany;4184582 said:
Sorry if I was not clear enough... It IS part of the show that will tour. He focuses on MJ for a good 6-8 minutes. His point is exploring how terrorism, murderers and paedophiles have changed the way they operate from ‘back in the day’ to now. He used MJ as an example of the best version of a paedophile.
Overall, I still suggest you not draw attention to his stupid ass.
However if you must do something I would suggest trying to find out if his tour is sponsored then if it is indeed sponsored that you should convey your displeasure in the form of a phone call or email to the sponsor (s).

Overall, I still suggest you not draw attention to his stupid ass.
However if you must do something I would suggest trying to find out if his tour is sponsored then if it is indeed sponsored that you should convey your displeasure in the form of a phone call or email to the sponsor (s).

Thank you. Great idea. Helpful advice, much appreciated.

S x

I genuinely don't know the best course of action regarding these issues since those kinds of comedians who use MJ as cheap shot don't give a damn about the truth regarding him

Ricky is a household name in the USA as well. He has hosted the Golden Globes twice and I think the Emmys as well. I knew who he is because he's the creator if I remember correctly of the original version of The Office.

I haven't heard his joke but I'm disappointed of him, I thought he was better than that.

I genuinely don't know the best course of action regarding these issues since those kinds of comedians who use MJ as cheap shot don't give a damn about the truth regarding him

Ricky is a household name in the USA as well. He has hosted the Golden Globes twice and I think the Emmys as well. I knew who he is because he's the creator if I remember correctly of the original version of The Office.

I haven't heard his joke but I'm disappointed of him, I thought he was better than that.

I'm not surprised he is just like the others who use MJ for cheap shots because he is an easy target, while ignoring other celebs with questionable behaviour eg. Roff Harris, Jamie Savile etc

Sorry I would love to help you. But seriously I don't even know who the guy is. I guess all of my real favorite comedians are either dead. or does Bollywood related stuff. As far as I can tell you he must some kind of a ignorant jerk. Who doesn't want to take the time read and learn the real facts about MJ. Before making such stupid horrible untrue comments about him. I had to deal with it so many times over the years. To those kind of ignorant MJ hating aholes. That I had gotten tired of trying to tell them the facts about Michael. And those ignorant idiots don't want to hear it. So I don't bother doing it anymore. Because it just does no good.

Its funny cos I remember when Living with MJ came out and he said that MJ came across very well in it. He does say a lot of things to get a reaction however, but this is disappointing because I consider him to be quite clever and open minded. I'm actually going to see the Humanity show myself in Dublin. Not really sure how people here will take that, not that I would care either way. I guess thats a few minutes I know I wont really enjoy though...

Seany man, Ricky does appear to read tweets a lot so maybe he'll see yours. That is a shame though.

Last edited:

Wow.
This thread is my first time even hearing the mans name.

Wow.
This thread is my first time even hearing the mans name.

Probably you're younger than me and since there aren't any Mexican atheist comedians, I follow some of them from the USA, Britain and Australia.

I agree with innuendo, I've seen some of Ricky's stand ups and interviews coming across as funny, clever and open minded. That's why I thought he was smarter and better than that. It shouldn't surprise me though, many people when it comes to Michael throw the logic and objectivity out of the window.

I'm not surprised he is just like the others who use MJ for cheap shots because he is an easy target, while ignoring other celebs with questionable behaviour eg. Roff Harris, Jamie Savile etc

I think you can swap the words "questionable behaviour" with "a proven history of sexually assaulting young people"

I'm not bothered by this and I don't see why any other rational person would be. Jokes about MJ don't really bother me, I just don't watch or listen to them. I like Ricky Gervais and will continue to do so. My world is not crumbling because he made some shitty jokes about MJ. Also, if everyone on here did actually do what you want and tweet him, breaking dvds etc, then people would be justified in calling you crazy because that's exactly how you'd be acting.

Last edited:
I know of the guy and consider him wildly over rated like ever other straight, plus sized white guy comedian now. They all start off nice enough, when they are big, but lose weight and just become selfish and shallow.

I agree that he should stop with the MJ pedo stuff, but do not honour him (Ricky Gervase or whatever his weird Normanic name is) by going to his shows, buying his DVDs or watching any programme with him. I have never liekd him and thought the family guy episode where he is a cheeky dolphin, was the worst.

Unfortunately I am finding that watching many comedy shows, watching popular culture and with people I meet and even close friends, the majority of people are convinced MJ was a paedophile and he had sex with those kids and got away with it. The fact he is completely innocent and founded to be twice means nothing to them, plus Michael is dead, so these maggots can go about this nonsense along with all the rest like skin bleaching, elephant man, being gay, having no talent left.

The sad thing is, is that we are dealing with a person whom the media have declared war on since 1987, and if you sell the people a lie long enough and reinforce it whilst at the same time, MJ does pull some stupid stunts (Like dangling the baby on the balcony, saying he sleeps with children in his bed) and then it got farcical with his ongoing finance issues in the 2000s.

By 2006 you were hearing nonsense, all the time like how he bought 20 boy statues and never paid, so now he is being sued and so and so hotel says MJ never paid his bill, or MJ started a song in a studio and never paid the engineer and the rumour in 2007 he had converted to Islam and was now called Mikal. Unless you were fan or had done research into Michael Jackson. you would have thought that he was at least strange and disonnected from reality. Because Michael won his trial and proved all the gutter press pundits and so called gossip agencies and publicists (Afrodietee Jones, Dianne Diamon, TMZ, any other hot lips gossip agency) they decided to stalk him and report on his every move unless it was 100%. Even if it was very good rather than excellent the gutter media would report on the teensy negatives (Like Thriller25 was a huge hit going global.... But some fans complained and rapper Shaniqua T claims Michael ripped her song - Queet laythrilla etc).

I mean the fact that even last year, a dredged up story about some books found at Neverland got wide press circulation and caused the general public to whine about - Oh that pedo, we knew he did it.

So I agree, boycott Gervase or any other comedian who makes fun of him, even the saints like Tucker and Rock (Another Kid!!!! What the ****!!! - Another KID?) And Dave Chapelle (So you believe MJ is innocent, hell yeah! Would you let him sleep with your kids - **** NO!) and Eddie Murphy well Delirious and Raw are unforgivable.

I think you can swap the words "questionable behaviour" with "a proven history of sexually assaulting young people"

Your totally right about that.....with proven history. But because they are not well known or have big wigs backing them they get a free pass....while MJ gets unfairly smeared.

Last edited:
I'd say Eddie is the exception. Michael loved his comedy acts about him.
Ricky Gervais is huge here in the US, but his Golden Globe hosting was a mixed bag-very mean spirited and there was a lot of flack about it. They asked him back again anyway-guess to show GGs are edgy and rebels. Again it was mean. Not just dark British wit either.

He's a voracious Tweeter and tweets a lot about animal rights. I'd tweet him and just tell him that no one finds child sex abuse funny. And that you're putting out the word not to go to his show.
He should be better than that.

That's disappointing to hear. I always found his humor kind of hit or miss. At times he could be pretty funny. Resorting to MJ jokes is a sign your comedic career is starting to go down the toilet. I doubt he would respond to tweets. The best thing you can do is educate him on the facts or contact his sponsors about it like others have suggested. I wouldn't get too crazy about it.

A standup comedian doing jokes about Michael? Well, this is unprecedented.

Just ignore it. The more attention you bring to it, these comedians will keep using these ''jokes'' more and more. If you don't like what they have to say, don't watch them. Speak with your wallet.

Yes, I am actually surprised that someone would still restore to MJ "pedo jokes" in 2016. That's so 2004.
Yeah, definitely. Seany was just at the "work in progress" show, By the time I (hopefully) see the show in June, the chances are this bit will be left out. If kept in, it doesn't really say much for any of the material he left out- he hasnt toured in 7 years like...

Im in two minds about what is the best course of action here.

Ricky Gervais is VERY well known, not only in the UK and USA but across Europe too and generally I see nothing wrong with telling people they're out of order. I once saw a DVD where Jimmy Carr made some jokes about MJ and the audience were audibly unimpressed. Sure there were some awkward laughs but the majority were silent. If the audience at Gervais gigs did likewise he would soon stop using those jokes.

Everybody has their own way of handling things but I usually think it's better to be proactive. Ignoring the issue never solves it that's for certain. But if many people complain while many other people laugh then it becomes controversial and Gervais would love that. The reason jokes by Gervais and other influential comedians are harmful is because they perpetuate the myth that MJ was a pedo. they also cast shade over anybody who is a fan of MJ and enjoys listening to his music. Because of that it makes it more likely that people will either stop listen ing to his music or they will have been put off from enjoying it to begin with. It stops people buying MJ products, it stops radio from playing his music. comedians can do real damage to MJ in the long term.

The trouble is the media have been printing their propaganda for so many years that many people accept it as fact that MJ was guilty. They believe he had inappropriate photos of children. they believe he has paid off many, many families. They believe he didn't go to jail in '93 because of the settlement. They believe the FBI files prove he was guilty. It's ridiculous but all this stuff has been fed to them by the press. It even occurred to me that half the people writing this stuff these days grew up reading it in the 90s and so they probably believe the lies they recycle from 20 years ago! Eventually lies can become the 'truth'. In Mj's case that seems to have happened in many peoples' minds. I don't know how we fix it but sitting around doing nothing certainly won't be any benefit at all. It's been 12 years since he was acquitted and probably 25 years since TWO grand juries decided the case against him wasn't credible to go to court, but these stories still won't go away.

I know MJ was not guilty so I keep listening to his music but if I didn't know the facts and didn't have the inclination to research them then I could easily have stopped being a fan many years ago.

If this is ignored then Gervais will keep telling those MJ jokes.
If it's criticised vocally on Twitter or elsewhere he might change his mind, or he might enjoy the controversy and keep telling those jokes. It's a difficult battle to win.

I know of the guy and consider him wildly over rated like ever other straight, plus sized white guy comedian now. They all start off nice enough, when they are big, but lose weight and just become selfish and shallow.

I agree that he should stop with the MJ pedo stuff, but do not honour him (Ricky Gervase or whatever his weird Normanic name is) by going to his shows, buying his DVDs or watching any programme with him. I have never liekd him and thought the family guy episode where he is a cheeky dolphin, was the worst.

You seem to be full of disrespect and especially prejudice yourself. *scratches head and frowns*

seany,

even though I probably don't have anything productive to say, I just wanted to let you know that I totally understand that you're upset.
For me, there's a huge difference. Making mild jokes, or even some rather drastic (but good) ones is ok, up to a point. And I have quite a dark humour. When it comes to the whole paedo thing, though, I'm very sensitive as well because this is something that affected Michael to his core and that ultimately led to his death. There is a line that just shouldn't be crossed.

So, while I generally agree with the advice to just ignore lame jokes, I can understand that under these circumstances you want to do something. I would feel that need, too, because Michael can't defend himself any more.

The problem is, what could you do?
Throwing away his DVDs etc. and posting pictures on Twitter, that would backfire and you'd be mocked as a crazy MJ fan.

But I feel when you're genuinely upset about something, you should raise your voice. Maybe in a polite letter to the producers/manager etc. Try and use a normal e-mail address (with no MJ in it) and just tell them that you felt the jokes were rather below the belt. Maybe mention the legal outcome of the trial and the fact that there are real paedophiles out there who shouldn't be compared to a man who was proven innocent.

It goes beyond being "MJ jokes", IMO. "Joking" about child sexual abuse is revolting.
I would add that, too. Joking about sexual abuse is a serious matter for all those affected.

I guess that's all you can do, except tell your friends etc.

But I understand you. Jokes like these make you feel sad and helpless because they're out there and you can't do anything about them. It hurts. And as much as is hurts us, it hurt Michael so much more. And that's the real tragedy. He could've done whatever he wanted, some people just wouldn't have believed him, no matter how hard he tried. :(

Last edited:
Didn't care about him last week and still don't.

I've never laughed at a single thing he's done.

However I do love the US Office so I am thankful for him there.

Pft! I'd rather boo his sorry @$$ and tell that crap joke about Michael sucks.

Most people know that Michael wasn't a pedophile anyways. He has more supporters now than he's ever did, thanks to internet research. Let him tell his pathetic jokes, if MJ fans attack his twitter, it'll give him more material to slag MJ and his fans.

I'm more embarrassed for Ricky using outdated jokes that are so 15 years ago.

It is clear, but I don't think tweeting him by mass will work as MJ fans will be inevitably outnumbered by his non-fan supporters who will use the campaign to laugh at MJ fans and say they are crazy. Again, best to boycott him and move on from him and stop supporting him with your money. Most don't even know or care who this guy is. Unfortunately he is not the only comedian who finds MJ "pedo jokes" funny. One would think they would be a bit ashamed of being so outdated in 2016. MJ "pedo jokes" are not in since 2005.

Let him, we know better.

Back