Michael's true friends =)?.

Few and far in between

I agree.....where were they when he really needed support besides Liz Taylor, Chris Tucker? After he died some of his so-called friends only came out to bask in his "shine".....while other's maked bogus claims or in case of Robson vicious lies for $$$$$

Carrie Fisher. I wouldn't necessarily say she was a "true friend," but they spent Christmas Eve '08 together, and she was a staunch defender of him in her memoir two years after he passed.

But beyond them, Chris Tucker springs to mind, as well as Elizabeth Taylor.

What's sad is that I can name a ton of people who supported, defended, and even secretly admired him (Macaulay Culkin, Prince, Lisa Marie Presley), but I can't name more than two who were his genuine friends. That's heartbreaking.

In a way, Tom Mesereau turned out to be a real friend, don't you think? Of course, back then, this was first and foremost a professional relationship. But up to this day he never stops defending him in public. So, they may not have been close pals in a 'hey let's have a chat and some wine' manner, but Michael trusted him and Mesereau always speaks up for him in public, even though their professional relationship has ended long ago. I respect him so much for that.

In a way, Tom Mesereau turned out to be a real friend, don't you think? Of course, back then, this was first and foremost a professional relationship. But up to this day he never stops defending him in public. So, they may not have been close pals in a 'hey let's have a chat and some wine' manner, but Michael trusted him and Mesereau always speaks up for him in public, even though their professional relationship has ended long ago. I respect him so much for that.

Mmmm, I get what you're saying but I think that's just more of a professional relationship than being 'true friends', especially in line with what OP is asking. I'm glad he continues to defend Michael too and I'm sure his intentions are genuine, but doing that is also good PR/business for him.

Yeah, I know. :) He just came to my mind while thinking about people who were honest and true to Michael and I think Mesereau was and is. I agree, it's also good PR for him, of course, and I know they've never been friends in the literal sense, but he did/does so much more than was asked of him. If the trial only meant business to him, I think he wouldn't stick up for Michael the way he does now. And I don't necessarily mean the fact that he does so, but the manner. You know, the words he uses, the kindness and respect in his voice and eyes when he speaks of him. You can just see and feel that he's a decent guy.

^^I'm glad Michael ended up with him as his lawyer for the case :)

What about that Dr. Barney who lived near Neverland? He wasn't a lifelong friend, but they hung out at each other's houses and their relationship wasn't professional.

What about that Dr. Barney who lived near Neverland? He wasn't a lifelong friend, but they hung out at each other's houses and their relationship wasn't professional.

Yes! And I sincerely hope that Michael had some more friends outside showbusiness - dear friends we probably will never know about ... I so wish he did ...

I agree. Every time I hear him say he was the loneliest person on this planet, I truly hope he had one or two people whom he could really trust, who didn't doubt him or took advantage of him. People who just loved him for himself.

Liz Taylor and Chris Tucker.
Neither one of them has said a single bad thing about MJ to the media and they seemed to genuinely have his best interest at heart.
They were also always there for him (not fair weather friends).
Liz and Chris were two cool people.:)

So was Emmanuel Lewis, he always has had nothing but positive things to say in Michael's life time and after he passed.

These 2 clips Emmanuel defended him from that son of a bitch, Bashir and the allegations.

Eddie Murphy, Diana Ross, Marlon Brando, Liza minelli were also some of his true friends

I am not so sure about Liz Taylor, I heard tales that she demanded lots of jewels and other gifts from Michael. He probably had a lot of acquaintances like Chris Tucker, John Branca, the Cascios, Omar Bhatti etc.
Many of his kid pals were close with him as kids, but they seemed to grow apart as they got older. Either they outgrew Michael of Michael just lost interest. People like Rodney Allen Rippy, Emmanuel Lewis, Jimmy Safechuck, Corey Feldman, Jordie Chandler (They were tight for a while), Macauley Culkin and others I may have forgotten. When these kids got to about 14 they grew out of playing games with Michael. Even Bubbles outgrew him as he became a mature chimp. Baby and Juvenile chimps are playful and friendly, but when a chimp reaches about 11 or 12 it becames an adult and becomes aggressive and sexually active.
As far as Debbie and Lisa go, both were there for the money more than anything else, same with managers and people who worked for him like Grace Rwanada or what her name is, the African nanny. Sure they may have acted like friends, but they were only as long as the money kept coming.
I know he was close to members of his family, but they blew hot and cold. It seems of all of them he was closest to Katherine and worshipped her, but she was his mother, not really pal. Of the other members LaToya, Janet and Marlon come closest. He liked all his brothers and Jermaine wrote a heartwarming book about him, but Jermaine dissed him in word to the Bad, and Latoya also turned on him at Jack Gordon's instructions, yet she was forgiven.

To me that leaves Marlon, he never dissed him, all the photos of Jacksons together, Michael is usually next to him, arms around each other or smiling (Seriously you go back to your J5 and Jackson photos and many of them Marlon is next to Michael or they are looking at each other). Plus there are all the tales about how they hung out and got on because of the minimal age gap. But my guess is even Marlon outgrew Michael when he married, but they remained close. At his funeral it was Marlon's comment "Maybe they will leave you alone now" that meant the most to me.

I think Jackie and Tito were friends too, but they were older brothers and it was more a respect thing, Randy I am not so sure of, and Janet, yes they were close, but she had her own career.

I am not so sure about Liz Taylor, I heard tales that she demanded lots of jewels and other gifts from Michael. He probably had a lot of acquaintances like Chris Tucker, John Branca, the Cascios, Omar Bhatti etc.
Many of his kid pals were close with him as kids, but they seemed to grow apart as they got older. Either they outgrew Michael of Michael just lost interest. People like Rodney Allen Rippy, Emmanuel Lewis, Jimmy Safechuck, Corey Feldman, Jordie Chandler (They were tight for a while), Macauley Culkin and others I may have forgotten. When these kids got to about 14 they grew out of playing games with Michael. Even Bubbles outgrew him as he became a mature chimp. Baby and Juvenile chimps are playful and friendly, but when a chimp reaches about 11 or 12 it becames an adult and becomes aggressive and sexually active.
As far as Debbie and Lisa go, both were there for the money more than anything else, same with managers and people who worked for him like Grace Rwanada or what her name is, the African nanny. Sure they may have acted like friends, but they were only as long as the money kept coming.
I know he was close to members of his family, but they blew hot and cold. It seems of all of them he was closest to Katherine and worshipped her, but she was his mother, not really pal. Of the other members LaToya, Janet and Marlon come closest. He liked all his brothers and Jermaine wrote a heartwarming book about him, but Jermaine dissed him in word to the Bad, and Latoya also turned on him at Jack Gordon's instructions, yet she was forgiven.

To me that leaves Marlon, he never dissed him, all the photos of Jacksons together, Michael is usually next to him, arms around each other or smiling (Seriously you go back to your J5 and Jackson photos and many of them Marlon is next to Michael or they are looking at each other). Plus there are all the tales about how they hung out and got on because of the minimal age gap. But my guess is even Marlon outgrew Michael when he married, but they remained close. At his funeral it was Marlon's comment "Maybe they will leave you alone now" that meant the most to me.

I think Jackie and Tito were friends too, but they were older brothers and it was more a respect thing, Randy I am not so sure of, and Janet, yes they were close, but she had her own career.

I think MJ was closet to Jackie, Tito and Marlon from the brothers. He had issues with Jermaine and Randy but I think those issues were resolved before his death.

Oh yes, I agree. I was very moved by Marlon's speech at the memorial. :) I, too, think, they were probably the closest, even though they didn't really show it in public that much.

I have to disagree with Lisa and probably Debbie, though. I don't really know about Debbie, but I think he was very happy with Lisa and it could've worked out between them if things had been a little different. I don't think she wanted Michael's money, being Elvis's daughter she didn't really need it. And I really liked the interviews she did after Michael passed away. She did only a few, so she's not attention-seeking, and her words were chosen really well I think. :)
So, they might've fallen out, but I don't see her as greedy or vengeful. It just didn't work out at the time.

Oh, and I'd like to add the Cascio family. I don't want to stir up the controversy about the songs, but from what you can read in the book, they were really close and helped him through a difficult time in his life. Also, I think, he experienced some sort of normality when he visited them. You know, all of them sitting around the table as a family, eating pasta, celebrating christmas. It must've been nice for him to be treated as a normal person for once. :)

As far as Debbie and Lisa go, both were there for the money more than anything else

Michael said that Lisa didn´t ask for a penny after their divorce.
And she was famous since she was born, just like Paris is now.

There have been mentioned already many names here as his true friends, but the fact of the matter is, his true friends were no more than five (according to MJ himself).

As for Lisa Marie Presley, people tend to forget that their true friendship/connection had begun during the MGM Grand Hotel days (1974), nearly twenty years before their marriage. She used to visit him backstage right after the Jackson 5 shows (“…She [Lisa Marie] would come again, again and again…”).

But even during the 1993/1994 turbulent period, Lisa Marie proved that she was one of his true friends:

“… Lisa Marie would call. I could count my true friends on one hand. She was very, very supportive the whole time. That really impressed me! … She would call and be crying …” (Michael Jackson)

did I just read Lisa there for the money? As in Lisa Marie Presley? I have to beg to differ on that one.. If anyone doesn't think that was not an organic relationship, must not familiar with the reltionship.. Yes I'd say toxic in many regards, but that was real..

Debbie, I never saw as a money thing but more so a fixation on Michael thing..

Chris tucker, Macaulay Culkin, Tom Mesereau, Corey Feldman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Celine Dion was good friend,maybe not as close to some others but sadly, when he needed her the most she was dealing with his husband's illness. Want to think that if she had been in a better position herself, she would have been closer to Michael in the darkest time, will never know I guess :'(

michaelsfedora;4215487 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Celine Dion was good friend,maybe not as close to some others but sadly, when he needed her the most she was dealing with his husband's illness. Want to think that if she had been in a better position herself, she would have been closer to Michael in the darkest time, will never know I guess :'(

As far as I know, Celine Dion was just a fan of him, not a friend of him.

She grew up with his posters on her bedroom’s wall. She even had the chance to meet him few times & got an autograph from him.

MJ was also a musical inspiration for her.

A funny incident comes to mind about Celine Dion that took place in Monte Carlo in 1996.

She complained to the hotel’s management (while her stay at the same hotel with him for the upcoming World Music Awards in Monaco) because she could not sleep due to his fans who were screaming & singing his songs outside the hotel even during the night.

Back