Capturing Michael! Harrison Funk has an amazing story to tell. Today on abc7

redfrog

Proud Member
He was #michaeljackson personal #photographer for 30 years. He shows me his favorites and tells me the captivating stories attached to each one. The King of Pop few people knew Monday at 11pm abc7

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRAlkulhXQy

book2.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRA24rkBNfB

It's broadcast live on the net:
http://abc7.com/live/

Thank you Redfrog.

So this will only be shown in L.A on the 11 o'clock news? :unsure:

And thanks for posting the link to watch it live. I will surely be using it.

Silouette;4185265 said:
Thank you Redfrog.

So this will only be shown in L.A on the 11 o'clock news? :unsure:

Yes.
Harrison Funk was always very positive about MJ, he compared him to all the greats like Beethoven, Picasso, Mendelssohn
he also said that everyone who worked with MJ adored him.

Michael Jackson’s Personal Photographer Remembers How They Met

Harrison Funk remembers being captivated by Michael Jackson’s eyes. “Michael had the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever photographed,” he told me recently. “They were large. They were expressive. They were deep. I don’t mean that physically. It was a picture into his soul. I think Michael, he knew in every picture what he wanted to convey. Even when he was completely natural he could convey a message to the camera.”

Funk chronicled Jackson’s career, starting with the Jacksons’ Victory Tour in 1984 and Michael’s first solo tour, Bad (1987-89). “He taught me so much about observing, seeing the moment and capturing the moment,” Funk said. “He taught me so much about perfection and Michael was a perfectionist. He wanted everything to be just so, even when it was spontaneous, it was just so. That was part of his brilliance, the ability to make that happen without any effort.”

“He liked to play practical jokes, and he liked to have fun. He was a big kid. There was one food fight where I wore a bucket of shrimp...after they poured it all over me,” Funk said.

https://newrepublic.com/article/118407/michael-jacksons-personal-photographer-remembers-met

Nevermind-I got the live feed pulled up-but looks like I'm a few hours early. Won't show here til 1:00 a.m.

Last edited:
redfrog;4185273 said:
Yes.
Harrison Funk was always very positive about MJ, he compared him to all the greats like Beethoven, Picasso, Mendelssohn
he also said that everyone who worked with MJ adored him.

Michael Jackson’s Personal Photographer Remembers How They Met

Harrison Funk remembers being captivated by Michael Jackson’s eyes. “Michael had the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever photographed,” he told me recently. “They were large. They were expressive. They were deep. I don’t mean that physically. It was a picture into his soul. I think Michael, he knew in every picture what he wanted to convey. Even when he was completely natural he could convey a message to the camera.”

Funk chronicled Jackson’s career, starting with the Jacksons’ Victory Tour in 1984 and Michael’s first solo tour, Bad (1987-89). “He taught me so much about observing, seeing the moment and capturing the moment,” Funk said. “He taught me so much about perfection and Michael was a perfectionist. He wanted everything to be just so, even when it was spontaneous, it was just so. That was part of his brilliance, the ability to make that happen without any effort.”

“He liked to play practical jokes, and he liked to have fun. He was a big kid. There was one food fight where I wore a bucket of shrimp...after they poured it all over me,” Funk said.

https://newrepublic.com/article/118407/michael-jacksons-personal-photographer-remembers-met

Thanks Love. I did get the chance to read the article and I even saw a preview of the piece earlier tonight.

But!....

barbee0715;4185275 said:
Nevermind-I got the live feed pulled up-but looks like I'm a few hours early. Won't show here til 1:00 a.m.

....How come my silly ass dozed off to sleep?! :doh: So I missed it after all that! I'm too out-done.
Glad I saw the preview at least. Now Imma have to see if I can catch it with you Barbee @1:00 a.m. *an hour to go...smh*

Aaaahh! :) I'm glad I got to see it. I'm also glad that it was Harrison Funk.
He spoke very highly of MJ and seems to genuinely care for and love Michael. To this day.
We're talking about a 30 year friendship afterall.
The pictures he shared info about was a delight as well.

Michael=Majic. :)

Last edited:
Video: http://abc7.com/entertainment/micha...grapher-reveals-his-favorite-moments/1776780/

Monday, February 27, 2017 09:57PM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
While millions around the world know Michael Jackson as the King of Pop, a local photographer was able to see a different side of the icon as his personal photographer for 30 years.

Harrison Funk watched as Jackson evolved from teen idol to a bona fide superstar. Jackson became known as a perfectionist whose personality was very complex.

"What genius isn't complex?" Funk asked. "I would put him up there with Da Vinci and Michelangelo and Beethoven and Picasso."

Funk was the man tasked with documenting the life of the legendary pop singer. Funk said Jackson would ask him every night if he had "made magic."

"He couldn't wait to see the pictures because he wanted to see the magic," Funk recalled.

Looking over albums of photographs, Funk pointed to the moments in which Jackson performed in concerts with massive crowds.

"That was his overwhelming drive," Funk explained. "To perform for people. His show was absolute perfection."

Funk said that Jackson always maintained a sense of wonder.

"He knew the child within and he never wanted to lose that," he said. "That was part of the magic."

Jackson received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1984. Funk said it was a huge day for Jackson as he was at the height of his career.

But a defining moment in Jackson's career came when he did the moonwalk on stage at Wembley Stadium in England.

Funk said Jackson actually learned the move from Jeffrey Daniel, who was in the group Shalamar. Daniel had performed it on the British show "Top of the Pops," only he called it the backslide.

Jackson learned it, perfected it and re-branded it as the moonwalk.

"When Michael came out with it, people were just blown away," Funk said. "I've never seen any other artist that got that response."

Another big moment for Jackson was when he met Nelson Mandela. But, according to Funk, it was equally as big a moment for the world leader, who brought his entire family from South Africa just to meet Jackson.

Jackson and Mandela met in a penthouse in Beverly Hills along with actress Elizabeth Taylor. Funk said by the end of the day his photograph of the three icons appeared in more than 200 newspapers.

"Michael was looking to change the world. He didn't just record 'We are the World' or 'Man in the Mirror.' He recorded music because he wanted to make an impact on people," Funk said.

When Michael died on June 25, 2009, Funk said it was hard to grasp that he was gone.

"It's hard to articulate," he said. "I think the whole world changed. It was the end of an era."

IMG000724v2.jpg

58779MJackson3724.jpg

58779MJackson2320copy.jpg

58779MJackson38.jpg

"It's hard to articulate," he said. "I think the whole world changed. It was the end of an era."
That's so true! :(

Thanks everyone for sharing!

i love all of these pics, especially the one with bubbles and diana ross- great finds!

Back