These three MJ songs are very, very similar to eachother, melodically and structurally.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Now I don't know if this was done unintentionally or if he reworked PYT demo that later became the foundation for the rest, but these three tracks are so similar in terms of feeling, melody, chord progression (though in different keys), and even the way the harmonies are stacked on the chorus (although we have yet to hear MJ's version of Joy) Does anyone else hear it too? You can practically sing the chorus on someone put your hand out on any of these songs and it would fit perfectly.

PYT (Pretty Young Thing Demo)
[youtube]u3v4v3G-PVE[/youtube]

Joy (Blackstreet)
[youtube]HPgj-4B2DEw[/youtube]

Someone Put Your Hand Out
[youtube]2mNozIi55Xc[/youtube]

Anyone heard the demo of Someone Put Your Hand Out? The one that sounds completely different lol. The PYT demo definitely wasn't the foundation of THAT.

I don't think there's a real strong similarity between the PYT demo and SPYHO.

ChrisC;4186252 said:
Anyone heard the demo of Someone Put Your Hand Out? The one that sounds completely different lol. The PYT demo definitely wasn't the foundation of THAT.

I don't think there's a real strong similarity between the PYT demo and SPYHO.
I have not heard the original SPYHO so I can't really give my opinion on that. How does it sound? I would love to hear that version, it's my favorite MJ ballad.

Check this out, I just made this really quick by filtering the songs and adjusting the tempo and key and voilá! Listen when the chorus comes on :)

[youtube]o1MNwMqGErQ[/youtube]

I love PYT demo. Tbh I prefer it over the version that was released on Thriller which is also fantastic.

I love PYT demo. Tbh I prefer it over the version that was released on Thriller which is also fantastic.

This. I also have the same feeling for Dangerous, the early demo just works for me better

This is blaphemy guys! Lol, no but really PYT on thriller is such a great uptempo pop song, imo it's so much superior to the demo, though the demo has a very nice melody. Don't let me get started on Dangerous. That song is a masterpiece from beginning to end with the industrial soundscape and the NJS flavor and the bumping beat. I could never get into the demo version of Dangerous for some reason. Different strokes for different folks eh?

Hm, I need to really take a listen again to the PYT Demo. I hear the similarities between Joy and SPYHO however.

pretty young thing™;4186275 said:
Hm, I need to really take a listen again to the PYT Demo. I hear the similarities between Joy and SPYHO however.

[youtube]o1MNwMqGErQ[/youtube]

This is blaphemy guys! Lol, no but really PYT on thriller is such a great uptempo pop song, imo it's so much superior to the demo, though the demo has a very nice melody. Don't let me get started on Dangerous. That song is a masterpiece from beginning to end with the industrial soundscape and the NJS flavor and the bumping beat. I could never get into the demo version of Dangerous for some reason. Different strokes for different folks eh?
This is me! Especially Dangerous! The album version is such a menacing feel and with the industrial soundscape you can almost see the album artwork sleeve, likewise when I look at the sleeve I hear the indrustrial sounds of the track.

Guys I didn't say I don't love the Dangerous version that made it on the album. I do. I just slightly prefer the demo version.

Joy sounds like a good song. I hope that a MJ version exists.

This is me! Especially Dangerous! The album version is such a menacing feel and with the industrial soundscape you can almost see the album artwork sleeve, likewise when I look at the sleeve I hear the indrustrial sounds of the track.

Right!!? Such a travesty about the cancelled plans for the single and short movie. It would probably end up as one of MJ's greatest short films, right up there with Smooth Criminal and Thriller. Btw, slightly unrelated but i saw a picture of a box with rare unreleased MJ tapes not too long ago, among those tapes was one tape titled "Dangerous Radio Edit 3:00". Have you ever seen or heard about an edited Dangerous radio version?

Right!!? Such a travesty about the cancelled plans for the single and short movie. It would probably end up as one of MJ's greatest short films, right up there with Smooth Criminal and Thriller. Btw, slightly unrelated but i saw a picture of a box with rare unreleased MJ tapes not too long ago, among those tapes was one tape titled "Dangerous Radio Edit 3:00". Have you ever seen or heard about an edited Dangerous radio version?
That could have been such an incredible short film! I'm not sure about a radio edit. I'm just going to look for my French Fan Edition of King of Pop as Dangerous is on it.

Ok, just checked King of Pop albums but there's no radio version. Have my copy of The Maestro in front of me and here's a quote from Chris Cadman
"An early edited demo version featured on Michael's box set The Ultimate Collection in November 2004. A different longer version also exists, with Michael heard screaming at the beginning after a sound protection wall fell on him as he was about to record. Master tapes from Teddy Riley's Future Records studio surfaced on EBay, featured several unreleased mixes."

Joy
"Song Michael wrote the melody to with a view to including it on his album Dangerous. Tammy Lucas added lyrics but ultimately Michael wasn't happy with the song and didn't record it.

Teddy Riley has the original master of Michael's recording of the song.

Speaking to hiphopworld.com in July 2009 Riley said:
"He gave me the song Joy it's on the first Blackstreet album, he gave it to me for Blackstreet his name is on the record if you go back to it and he gave me his blessings. That's the only thing that I asked to do and I will reiterate that with the family because I want that on the new Blackstreet record and whether a part of the proceeds go for his foundation or whatever, I don't care, I want to do the song because the song never came out as a single and that was one of our favourites. When I did that song with him he held his heart and he said 'Teddy, is this mine?' I said 'It's yours if you want it Michael' He's like 'I want it, let's go get it!' He was so excited. I have a couple of witnesses that were in the room when he said 'I want that song. I need that song in my life.'

'Uptown Joy' remix sampled Michael's 'I Can't Help It'

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not heard the original SPYHO so I can't really give my opinion on that. How does it sound? I would love to hear that version, it's my favorite MJ ballad.

If MJ wasn't singing "someone put your hand out" at the chorus I'd literally not even recognise they were connected - it's THAT different.

That could have been such an incredible short film! I'm not sure about a radio edit. I'm just going to look for my French Fan Edition of King of Pop as Dangerous is on it.

Ok, just checked King of Pop albums but there's no radio version. Have my copy of The Maestro in front of me and here's a quote from Chris Cadman
"An early edited demo version featured on Michael's box set The Ultimate Collection in November 2004. A different longer version also exists, with Michael heard screaming at the beginning after a sound protection wall fell on him as he was about to record. Master tapes from Teddy Riley's Future Records studio surfaced on EBay, featured several unreleased mixes."

Joy
"Song Michael wrote the melody to with a view to including it on his album Dangerous. Tammy Lucas added lyrics but ultimately Michael wasn't happy with the song and didn't record it.

Teddy Riley has the original master of Michael's recording of the song.

Speaking to hiphopworld.com in July 2009 Riley said:
"He gave me the song Joy it's on the first Blackstreet album, he gave it to me for Blackstreet his name is on the record if you go back to it and he gave me his blessings. That's the only thing that I asked to do and I will reiterate that with the family because I want that on the new Blackstreet record and whether a part of the proceeds go for his foundation or whatever, I don't care, I want to do the song because the song never came out as a single and that was one of our favourites. When I did that song with him he held his heart and he said 'Teddy, is this mine?' I said 'It's yours if you want it Michael' He's like 'I want it, let's go get it!' He was so excited. I have a couple of witnesses that were in the room when he said 'I want that song. I need that song in my life.'

'Uptown Joy' remix sampled Michael's 'I Can't Help It'

Thank you for looking and sharing this information! Hmm that's strange and interesting at the same time. Now that i think about it I am almost certain that the picture I saw came from one of Frank Cascios collections. Family Thing was also in that picture and In the back i think. They were DAT tapes.

The day we get to hear MJ's version of Joy will truly be Joyous (lame pun intended)

Back