Which video is more iconic. Bad or Smooth Criminal?

Smooth Criminal, still a masterpiece. Nobody can ever top that, the singing, the choreography, the alternate mix and the feel of it.

Words can't describe how cool this short film is.

Smooth Criminal - no doubt...

The Lean, the outfit - everything. Amazing.

Smooth Criminal.

One of my favorite music videos.

Perfect from the beginning to the end.

Nobody can touch this.

I guess when you think of iconography you consider, for the most part, the singular look of the artwork.

So in this case we're pitting buckles against the white pinstripe suit and tipped hat. While buckles was MJ's goto look for the late 80s, and is indeed iconic, I don't think it quite reaches MJ in Smooth Criminal mode.

I guess when you look at the visual side of MJ's career you have Thriller, and then Smooth Criminal in reserve.

Smooth Criminal- The lean, the outfit, the setting, the plot, the music, the dancing, the choreography. It is 10 minutes of masterpiece. Tbh, I've never been a massive fan of Bad music video. I don't think I've watched it more than a couple of times whereas I've watched SC hundreds of time.

I think most people would say Smooth Criminal (and obviously have here), and especially since he adopted the fedora for everyday wear, but I'm going with BAD. When I shut my eyes and think of Michael in his absolute hey day, that's the image that comes to mind.

I'll never forget watching the premiere and when he fell from the subway ceiling, I was audibly gasping for air. I see any rocker back then and today wearing black leather, and I always think it's influenced by him.

(Actually, I think both are iconic, so I'm just going with my fave).

Last edited:
Smooth Criminal is SO iconic that 9 times out of ten if someone sees any person or thing leaning forward at more than a 80 degree angle the lean from Smooth Criminal is automatically thought of.:)

Smooth Criminal... It was years after actually that I later saw the Bad video in full... I was a 'Moonwalker' kid so I saw the that version "badder" before the actual version... That when I saw it, it was the shortened version until I bought the History greatest hits DVD in 2001.. I think that was the first I saw the full 18 film

I know most people would say smooth criminal because of the lean. And smooth criminal is definitely something special, but IMO I'm going to have to go with BAD. I say BAD because it has a full blown storyline and it shows off Michael's acting skills. Oh and of course the amazing dance coagraphy.

I say BAD because it has a full blown storyline and it shows off Michael's acting skills. Oh and of course the amazing dance coagraphy.

How does that make it more iconic though? I'd argue the image of Michael doing the lean is amongst his most iconic looks which is a huge reason as to why Smooth Criminal is the more iconic video.

I think Smooth Criminal is the best dance routine Michael as ever done.

Both are great, but I give this to Smooth Criminal. In some ways the Bad scenario is really a rehash of Beat it in so many ways (Don't get me wrong, I love that video and Beat it was probably the song that hooked me into Michael Jackson period - but Bad was really Beat it part 2).

Smooth criminal is cool, the gangsters, tipping shoes and moonwalking, the dancing is out of sight and the whole thing is seriously iconic. Like you all say, the lean is easily the most iconic image of Michael as the showman created. Plus he has the patent on that shoe in which he did the lean.

Even better is to watch the whole sequence on the Moonwalker movie, Michael and the children in the city and they walk into the abandoned club and they are whisked back to the 1930s and the magic begins.

Even away from the video, the song itself is something else, probably the catchiest thing he ever made and the most iconic Post Thriller moment in his career. (Sorry but Billie Jean and Beat it, are even more iconic)

Last edited:
Lets not forget Smooth Criminal is really part of moonwalker, that's a pretty extensive story lol

How does that make it more iconic though? I'd argue the image of Michael doing the lean is amongst his most iconic looks which is a huge reason as to why Smooth Criminal is the more iconic video.
. All in all I LOVE both videos. So I'm just going to leave it at that.

Back