Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thriller (the album) is currently at #2 on the US iTunes charts.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 939 Posts

Thumbs up Thriller (the album) is currently at #2 on the US iTunes charts.

And the short film is at #31 (it was at #30).

I think it's crazy that this album is still out here slaying like this.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Thriller (the album) is currently at #2 on the US iTunes charts.

MJ is the king. Must be due to a discount. Expect it to chart high on the charts next week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Criminal For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I don't see it listed anymore on Itunes as the top?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Criminal View Post
    MJ is the king. Must be due to a discount. Expect it to chart high on the charts next week.
    He sure is the King, and I figured it might be discounted but I'm not sure because I can't remember the original price of the album on Itunes.
    Still really impressive that it's charting tho.
    Not bad for an album that was released decades ago.
    Last edited by Pink Diamond Princess; 16-03-2017 at 09:06 PM.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
    I don't see it listed anymore on Itunes as the top?
    It's still at #2 for me.
    Maybe it's not showing up at #2 for you because you aren't in the US?
    I have know idea where you are tho, so I'm not sure. :/
    Last edited by Pink Diamond Princess; 16-03-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Wonder if Thriller might be able to hit that 34x plat mark later this year or early next year.
    I think it's possible, especially if that Thriller project happens this year (probably in or close to October).
    What do y'all think tho?

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Diamond Princess View Post
    Wonder if Thriller might be able to hit that 34x plat mark later this year or early next year.
    I think it's possible, especially if that Thriller project happens this year (probably in or close to October).
    What do y'all think tho?
    Depends on how good the project is. Keep in mind that the sudden jump in certifications a year ago was essentially a build-up of years and years and years of streaming in the United States, which were 'unleashed' when Billboard let down the floodgate and accepted streaming statistics.

I'm not really sure if we'll hit 34x Platinum in the next year. Streaming only counts for so much and while Thriller sells rather nicely for a catalogue album, it's not enough to boost the certification every year or two I believe. I think we can reasonably expect 34x by 2020/2021 though!

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    Depends on how good the project is. Keep in mind that the sudden jump in certifications a year ago was essentially a build-up of years and years and years of streaming in the United States, which were 'unleashed' when Billboard let down the floodgate and accepted streaming statistics.

I'm not really sure if we'll hit 34x Platinum in the next year. Streaming only counts for so much and while Thriller sells rather nicely for a catalogue album, it's not enough to boost the certification every year or two I believe. I think we can reasonably expect 34x by 2020/2021 though!
    Yeah, I agree, the quality of the project does matter (a lot actually), and you could be right about your sales predictions.
    To me the only thing about the Thriller project that's piqued my interest so far is the new ending, which I hope is never before seen footage of Michael.
    Even then I bet it'll be a blink and you'll miss it type of thing.

But when it comes to the streaming thing I have a question if you don't mind.
    Okay, so if I can remember correctly Thriller was certified at 30x plat then streaming became a part of actual sales and it was bumped up to 32x plat, and not long ago (earlier this year) it was certified 33x plat without the floodgate boost.
    That means that from the time it was certified 32x plat to the time it was certified 33x plat that when both normal sales and streams were counted that the album had sold another one million in the US, right?

Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Pink Diamond Princess; 17-03-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 330 Posts

^^^^^

You are correct, and not missing anything.

The new rules, and the popularity of the Thriller album and its singles, will see it pull even further away from its rivals, as each year goes by. 👌

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I personally don't think streaming should count when it comes to actual chart positions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Criminal For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Criminal View Post
    I personally don't think streaming should count when it comes to actual chart positions.
    The way I see it, the charts are there to reflect popular music tastes and trends. How we listen to music has evolved drastically over the past decade or two. While Billboards/RIAA's rules might be controversial to some, you'd be losing a significant amount of important information by ignoring streaming. It simply has to be accounted for nowadays.

My two cents.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HIStoric For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

The way I see it, the charts are there to reflect popular music tastes and trends. How we listen to music has evolved drastically over the past decade or two. While Billboards/RIAA's rules might be controversial to some, you'd be losing a significant amount of important information by ignoring streaming. It simply has to be accounted for nowadays.

My two cents.
    Yes, charts are there to reflect popular music tastes and trends. Yes, the way we listen to music has evolved, meaning streaming is much more important BUT sales are sales and streams are streams. They cannot be equated reliably (IMO).

The present situation is one where the inclusion of streaming in the main official chart in the UK (using a conversion factor to calculate equivalent sales) has caused confusion.

In the UK most people treat the 'official singles chart' (compiled by the 'Official Charts Company') as a sales chart still, but it really isn't. It's a combined chart and it is deeply flawed.

But there IS still an official sales chart:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...s-sales-chart/

And an official streaming chart:

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...reaming-chart/

They are separate and that works well. We can figure out which single sold most, and which single streamed most. Fine.

The problem is when the two are combined into the main chart - that is what causes important information to be lost, at least in many chart reports.

Often the most important chart positions (i.e. Top10 or Top5) rely upon how much streaming contributes to the overall picture.
    Up to January '17 the company divided the number of streams by 100 to calculate the number of equivalent sales. Now they divide by 150. That's a big change. If it happened weeks or months earlier (or weeks or months later) it changes artists' chart positions (drastically in some cases!). This proves my point.
    If they had chosen another number, that too would change chart positions. We're in a situation where the OCC's conversion factor now dictates who has a chart #1 and who doesn't, and that figure can be changed by them at any time.

The #1 single sold and the #1 streamed single cannot really be debated, but the country's official #1 single (overall) is often determined by the conversion factor. So the current 'Official Singles Chart' - the one that determines who gets awarded a #1 single - only reflects the OCC's decision on the weighting between streams and sales, it doesn't necessarily report the nation's most popular single in an accurate way.

I suspect the same will be true (to a greater or lesser extent) on the US charts.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJTruth For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,931 Times in 9,055 Posts

My two cents.
    I agree. Sticking just to sales at this age is arguably misleading too as sales represent less and less percentage of how people consume and listen to music. CD sales aren't huge any more and they are constantly going down. At one point they will become insignificant like vinyl sales. Digital sales are somewhat more relevant but consumptions have shifted massively towards streaming in the past few years. To ignore that could also lead to misleading results as to what is really popular.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 713 Posts

Default sales

The thing that doesn't make a lot of sense to me is that in the US, a certain amount of streams now counts as the sale of 1 album. I think if a video gets 1.5 billion views on Youtube that would be considered a platinum album (1 million sold). So in theory, you could say the album that Gangnam Style by Psy came from sold a million copies. It hasn't because the RIAA only counts USA, and the Psy numbers are worldwide views. But to me a stream isn't a sale, it's like listening to the radio in the past. Radio airplay was used as part of the criteria for the singles charts in Billboard, but it didn't count as a sale. But lets say Psy's views did count. That would mean his album "sold" a million without anyone actually buying anything or even hearing any other song from the album. Streaming could also be sort of like playing a record or tape. Listening to a tape isn't a sale, and counting a stream as a sale is like saying playing a record a thousand times is a sale. What is also odd about counting streams as sales is that when there were record clubs (12 albums for a penny!), those didn't count as sales in Billboard/RIAA, nor did cutouts count as a sale. Cutouts were albums that had a slash or hole punched in it and were sold for cheap in stores. At least with the clubs and the cutouts, somebody actually bought a product.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothMJ View Post
    ^^^^^

You are correct, and not missing anything.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

My two cents.
    MTE.
    This is very true.
    Music consumption has changed and RIAA changed the rules in order to correctly reflect those changes.
    To a certain extent it had to be done.