Make a version of the Bad album with Prince tracks!

• Thread starter Deleted member 9375
  • Start date

Deleted member 9375

Guests
I've been listening to Prince today and after a convo in another thread where Prince's albums came up in comparison to MJ's sound and production -Bad and Dangerous- I've attempted to create his version of the Bad album from the albums Lovsexy/Black Album/Batman, -although I used Adore from SOTT for a sort of Man In The Mirror moment- it was much harder than I thought and the following list isn't an attempt of a direct carbon copy of each track from the original Bad album, it's more a selection of tracks in a similar vain and production. If other Prince fans -or anyone at all- wants to give it a try I would love to see what they can come up with? MJPrince, Innuendo, Matty, HIStoric? Anyone?? I'm calling this album Glam!

Prince: Glam
01:Lovesexy
02:Cindy C
03:Anistasia
04:When 2R In Love
05: Party Man
06:Alphabet Street
07:Adore
08:The Arms Of Orion
09:Glam Slam
10:Batdance
11:Le Grind

Bonus Track
Electric Chair

You're such a ****** making these threads so late.

ANYWAY.

1. Partyman
2. Alphabet Street
3. Bob George
4. When 2 R In Love
5. Trust
6. Eye No
7. The Future
8. Glam Slam
9. Cindy C
10. The Future

Bonus Track
11. Lemon Crush

I tried to do the same as you and whatever immediately came into my head I chose. Now you've reminded me to check out the Black Album bootlegs. Always end up costing me, Double A...

I'll call mine... "Ain't That A B....!!!"

You're such a ****** making these threads so late.

ANYWAY.

1. Partyman
2. Alphabet Street
3. Bob George
4. When 2 R In Love
5. Trust
6. Eye No
7. The Future
8. Glam Slam
9. Cindy C
10. The Future

Bonus Track
11. Lemon Crush

I tried to do the same as you and whatever immediately came into my head I chose. Now you've reminded me to check out the Black Album bootlegs. Always end up costing me, Double A...

I'll call mine... "Ain't That A B....!!!"
This is serious business and the type of thing that keeps me up at night.:D Seriously though, there's a lot that sound similar production wise on the Prince albums -obviously theres many albums from that time that sound the same. Sometimes I feel if Prince had released less, a lot of his albums would have been better. Although I do love Lovesexy and the Black Album, even Batman has some good stuff. But MJ's albums are mixed and mastered to perfection and every track is worthy. Very different artists in that sense of course.

We should make a Prince alternative for all the MJ albums. I remember about a year ago -I think it was Matty- did a comparison thread for Thriller and Purple Rain which was quite good.

This is serious business and the type of thing that keeps me up at night.:D Seriously though, there's a lot that sound similar production wise on the Prince albums -obviously theres many albums from that time that sound the same. Sometimes I feel if Prince had released less, a lot of his albums would have been better. Although I do love Lovesexy and the Black Album, even Batman has some good stuff. But MJ's albums are mixed and mastered to perfection and every track is worthy. Very different artists in that sense of course.

We should make a Prince alternative for all the MJ albums. I remember about a year ago -I think it was Matty- did a comparison thread for Thriller and Purple Rain which was quite good.
He just had no filter. In a way I admire it and am glad for it now that he's gone, that there's much more to discover and to get into, but he definitely suffered sales wise having no filter. Matty sent me a few cds of absolutely crazy stuff that anyone would kill for as lead singles, let alone b-sides.

Batman is one of my favourite albums, future, chair, trust, partyman, lemon crush. Class songs. Just hate that my LP doesnt have the inner sleeve!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sounds great guys and funky, but what I wanted truly was a duet album. Mine would be (1 duet and a Michael cover version then the album for real, with equivalent Bad tracks in brackets)
1. Bad (Duet with Prince and Michael Jackson)
2. Adore (Imagine Michael singing this song - I mean wow!!!)
3. Cindy C (I can't stop loving you)
4. Le Grind (Bad)
5. Darling Nikki (Prince's dirty Diana)
6. U got the look (Response to Just good friends)
7. Shockadelica (Response to the way you make me feel, its hard to make apples into oranges)
8. Sign o the times (Man in the Mirror)
9. Housequake (Smooth Criminal)
10. Hot Thing (Speed Demon)
11. Electric Chair (Another part of me)
12. Annastesia (Liberian Girl)
13. Hello (Leave me alone)

I agree, Michael put more work into his dancing, song craft and the visual image. Most Prince videos are mediocre and even the good ones (Kiss, Mountains, Alphabet Street) score on their simplicity and what Prince is doing. Michael's videos were mini musical movies, that sold the song, the album and Michael's stage presence which resulted in bums on seats (Or moving, who sits down at a Michael Jackson concert). Prince's videos at best sold a few copies of song, and more attention was paid to the song, and how Prince and his band mates looked.

Michael could also stretch the momentum on an album. Thriller pretty much ran from Nov 1982 through to late 1984 (Jacksons - Victory), he wa sback in the public eye for most of 1985 with the We are the world project and part of 1986 with Another part of me/Captain EO. Bad and its singles/tour were in the public eye from the July 1987 release of I can't stop loving you through to Liberian Girl leaing the charts in mid 1989.

Whereas Prince had his projects sink from view after a few months, only 1999 (Nov 1982 - July 1983) and Purple Rain (May 1984 - Mar 1985) had much traction. And really Purple Rain scored at the right time, when Michael was less visible, the album release conicided with the last Thriller singles leaving the charts and only the Jackson's Victory tour in the go with a lot of bad publicity, MJ walked away from a lot of the promotion. Had Purple Rain dropped in early 1983, it may not have scored as well, while Billie Jean and Beat it ruled the charts.

I love Prince and he is my favourite artist, but his marketing sucked, he released albums so quickly and never dropped more than 5 singles off a project and with the exception of Purple Rain, never more than 3 were hits, in some albums, only 1 was a hit. Compare that to Michael who released 7 singles off Thriller (And also Say say say, and We are the world) and 9(!!) singles off Bad. By the time you got to single 9 on a standard Prince album, you would have exhausted it or reached the filler.
Great post man. It's always great to have a fan -of any artist- who's actually objective to the point where you can have a great discussion. Thanks for adding a playlist up top also. Regarding an MJ and Prince duet, it's the one thing that would go through the roof in terms of anticipation and expectation. Have you heard anything about this supposed Prince version of Bad? I know fans create a lot of these rumours, but they must have recovered an awful lot of material from the vault. I read somewhere that entire never released music films were in there also. Will we ever see any of it?

You are lucky too, Matty Jam and myself are prolific posters over on the Prince.org as well, so Prince is a big part of our lives. In his case MJ is his #1 artist, and my #2 artist behind Prince. I pretty much live and breathe Prince, but Michael Jackson is never far from my thoughts. No one can compete with a genius like Michael
Don't get me wrong, Michael is awesome too and as my #2, he is a lot closer to Prince than he is to my #3 artist - Madonna. I agree with Matty Jam about quality control, Michael's albums were not just good, they were perfect, OTW to Dangerous do not see a single mistep, the meticulous quality of every song, there is no filler and no slack, every beat had to sound funky and be just right. Commercially perfect and great product. History nearly reaches the mark, and BODF and Invincible are great too, but Michael's quality had slipped a bit. There are still highlights like Break of Dawn, TDCAU, Ghosts and the like that would fit into the tight quality control of Bad and Thriller, but songs like The Lost Children and Privacy would be locked out!
I have liked Michael longer, but I guess Prince is #1 for me, because I am not as big a fan of commercial perfection as I am of free form and fun. Michael's songs were rigorously structured, what you got on stage was the album track with some incredible dancing and acrobatics, with Prince however the stage and his bootleg mixes of thge songs were so different to the album versions. That is what does it for me, the fact Prince always mixed it up and in reality, Prince could never make an album as tight and rigid in its quality as Bad, but his ideal album would be fun and a mix of styles. Great as Bad is, its all basically tight dance pop grooves, a bit of balladry and decent rock cuts. Sign o the Times on the other hand has Jazz, Funk, Pop, Soul, R and B, Sexy ballads, smoochy ballads, gospel, live stage soloing and devotional ballads along with gender bending funk and hippy songwriter stuff. Seriously that album is everywhere. Likeme, I am everywhere I like variety and spice and as much as I love Michael and the Bad album, it just lacks the adventure and experimentation of Prince. Of course not every experoiment and gimmick of Prince's worked. His albums would have a 1 to 10/10 songs on most of them, with mostly 10s, but 2s as well, whereas Michael every song was a straight 9/10 if you get what I mean.

I agree with Matty, that Prince never gave his music enough time to bed in and he lost interest in a project too quickly. Prince got frustrated with the time it tool a project to come out, most of 1987's Sign o the Times was written in late 1985 and mid 1986, by mid 1987 he had the Black album in the can and was already working on some cuts that would end up on 1990's Graffiti Bridge. Meanwhile Michael would milk a project so at least 7 singles over 2 years would come of it and do tours and videos along with publicity so albums stayed on the charts and high on the charts for ages. Even in the 80s, the typical Prince project came out, peaked and dropped off the chart within 20 weeks (Purple Rain and 1999 being the exceptions), whereas Thriller and Bad spent about 2 years in the chart. Thriller spent 37 weeks at #1 in the USA, yet another 50 or more in the Top 10 and over 100 weeks in the Top 40, even Purple Rain which spent 24 weeks at #1, spent only 37 weeks in total in the Top 40 and 58 in the Top 100 (In its initial run, the album came back in 2004 and 2016 after his death).

I think part of the reason why Bad is my least favourite MJ album is because it just didn't feel like enough artistic growth to me, when you compare it to what Prince was doing at that time. I know we shouldn't compare the two, and Prince deliberately set out to make his piece de resistance with Sign O The Times, but being a massive fan of both, Bad just feels a bit juvenile in comparison. Weirdly enough, the roles seem to reverse in the early 90s, with MJ making his most accomplished and serious album to date with Dangerous, while Prince was chasing trends with the inconsistent Diamonds & Pearls.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel like the Bad album is a terrific pop album. And perhaps it's easy to take songs like MITM, Dirty Diana and Smooth Criminal for granted when you've known them since you were five years old. But I just feel like Bad could've been more. I feel like he didn't take many risks with that album. I mean, listen to a song like Abortion Papers. That outtake is one my favourite posthumously released cuts, and I think a song like that in place of Just Good Friends would've given the album a certain edge that it otherwise lacked. For an album called Bad, MJ really played things rather safe.

When you talk of artistic growth, Speed Demon and Liberian Girl are two songs that immediately jump at me, out of all of his catalogue. Smooth Criminal is taking pop writing to a whole new level too.

The reason I think Bad is his best AND most important album are because of how much he has grown from Thriller to Bad. Writing nearly all the songs, using his voice now as a part of the music, a la Speed Demon, Smooth Criminal (he becomes an extension of the percussion for me).

Fair enough, when you compare Sign O The Times (my favourite Prince album) with Bad, we can definitely say he took more risks. But Michael came back with IJCSLY as the lead single AFTER Thriller! Prince, also could have used U Got The Look as the lead and set the album off to an amazing start but didn't. Fair play to both of them

One thing is for sure though. If Prince had a Quincy Jones, Sign O The Times would not have been 2 discs, would not have had Hot Thing or Housequake. From certain interviews I get annoyed at how much say Michael let producers have in his output, the 2 major examples being Quincy challenging Streetwalkers inclusion and apparently saying Michael could NOT call the album Smooth Criminal. (He was right with Streetwalker though).

I'm not sure I agree with you on that.

Look at the transition from OTW to Thriller, or Bad to Dangerous. Those are examples of artistic growth. Imagine being an MJ fan with OTW and then buying Thriller and hearing an all-out rock track complete with Eddie Van Halen shredding all over the shop. Or you have the storytelling pop-drama of Thriller with the Vincent Price rap, or the sinister undertones of Billie Jean. Thriller was heading in new, exciting directions for MJ. Bad was just more of the same.

Don't get me wrong, the songwriting on Bad was exceptional. The entire second half of the album is without flaw. But there's not really anything on there that was startingly new or different for MJ. Perhaps MITM or Liberian Girl were a bit different for MJ at that time, but it's hardly anything drastic.

The transition from Bad to Dangerous showed far more artistic growth imo. Dangerous is like MJ's Sign O The Times, an album that's so eclectic and ambitious and made at the height of his creativity, it's almost as if he's showing off at times. Like he's saying "yeah I can do some New Jack Swings cuts, then I'm gonna do a pop-rock song, followed by a grunge track and then I'm gonna stick Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in there and bust out a gospel anthem." It's lofty in its ambitions, but he doesn't just pull it off, he excels at it.
We will agree to disagree! I'm one of the ones who doesn't have Dangerous in my top 3 albums, but as much as he did try different things he also tried to 100% emulate the exact same idea with Keep The Faith, which doesn't work nearly as well as MITM for me. I do agree that it seems that he went all out with Dangerous (I think he perfected this with HIStory, however).

I do agree with you in a way that Bad was safe. Its safe as houses in many ways, but I think Speed Demon, Liberian Girl, Smooth Criminal and Leave Me Alone stand out more as absolute "out there" masterpieces and can't be considered as safe. The bass during the chorus of Speed Demon is astonishing. The instrumentation and arrangement of Liberian Girl is flawless.

In many ways it stems from what I said about Quincy. I can absolutely guarantee you that with the demos and recordings Michael made with "The B Team" before presenting them to Quincy, you would have had your Sign O The Times.

In defense of Bad being safe, in recording it Michael literally had nothing to complain about. The backlash hadnt started so he was riding the crest of a wave with no obvious negativity in his life yet. By the time Dangerous came around, he had plenty to say and I imagine a lot of frustration built up. This is a reason why I love Bad so much. Leave Me Alone set the precedent of things to come with Dangerous and HIStory.

If anything, you could argue that Bad = Purple Rain and Dangerous = Sign O The Times. I chose Bad over Thriller because Michael had more of a hold on Bad artistically.

Great thread!

I haven't had the time to pop in & say my piece unti now. Plus Im not as much of an afficionado on Prince as some of you so apologies for that.

I guess there's two ways of comparing them..

The reason why MJ is my favoutite of all time rather than say Madonna, Stevie Wonder & Prince who I also love (especially Madonna), is his amazing quality control. Thriller, Bad & Dangerous meant he released 3 perfect albums in a row (yes, JGF & CLHGW may not be perfect tracks but at the same time they don't deflect from the album's overall quality), add that that the bookended albums of OTW that is 80% perfect & HIStory which is again 80-90% perfect which on a 15 track album is amazing - and this makes for the best artist of all time. And I'm not talking short films, dancing, tours etc. This is just the quality of the music.

So would I rather have that, or Prince & Madonna who released double or triple the albums but the quality varies amazingly by album and within album?

I'll extend the topic to Madonna as I know much more about her. For me,from her 13 studio albums - only 4 of them are brilliant. The rest have amazing stuff on. But some only have 2 or 3 killer songs. It still means that in her 33 year career there's enough fantastic & mind blowing stuff to make her my 2nd favourite. But in terms of favourite albums of all time, I'd only say 'American Life', 'Hard Candy' & 'Erotica' (yes, I know the ones everyone else hates!).

As far as I understand it,if you include all the NPG, 3rd Eye Girl and other extra stuff he did, Prince released 30 albums. And from the ones I have & heard, I haven;t found that definitive album yet.

It's a bit like when Alan Partridge was asked what his favourite Beatles album was and he replies, "I'd have to say, The Best Of The Beatles'.

On the subject of how much did Michael grow as a performer between his albums. Firstly, I'd ask how relevant that was. If he didn't grow much between Thriler & Bad (which is debatable) then it doesn't matter as Bad is a ****ing perfect album. So would I have rather he'd gone all Sergeant Pepper & released a substandard piece of work, or would i rather he released another stunnign album that sold 35million and again set the world on fire.

The answer is the latter. Plus, anyway, songs like Smooth Criminal, TWYMMF showed a maturity plus not to mention going from writing only 3 songs on Thriller to 9 on Bad shows amazing progression.

But yes, the change in Michael from Thriller to Bad was massively leapfroged by his change from Bad to Dangerous & then HIStory. It's like a totally different artist. Songs like TDCAU, Who Is It, WYBT, Earth Song, Jam and many others are also unrecognisable as the '80s stuff.

Anyway, sorry I've digressed a bit from Prince. So I will say that 7 is my favourite Prince track, just so you know.

Anyway, sorry I've digressed a bit from Prince. So I will say that 7 is my favourite Prince track, just so you know.
id like to step in here and say that is in fact a BRILLIANT tune.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't really like Ray of Light either, some good songs, but the mergirl stuff just bores me. American Life, MDNA are also terrible. Hard Candy has 5 good songs, but like most post 1994 Madonna, it is larded down with filler.

Dance 2 night is a gem, so is She's not me and Miles Away. Confessions is alright, but not great. Rebel Heart has gems with Icon and Ghost Town (Ghost Town is her best song since "What it feels like for a girl). Yes I know you all will think I am one strange Madonna fan, but Justify my love is my favourite song of hers and Like a Prayer the best album, followed closely by Erotica.

My Name Is Prince
U Got The Look
Lady Cab Driver
And God Created Woman
Love Song (with Madonna)
Get On The Boat
Still Would Stand All Time
Adore
Illusion, Coma, Pimp & Circumstance
The Future
Walk Don't Walk (CD bonus track)

huh? how the heck can ya make the ''bad album'' using prince tracks doesnt make sense

huh? how the heck can ya make the ''bad album'' using prince tracks doesn't make sense
I understood what it was about. I guess a person has to be familiar with Prince's songs to get it. I mostly chose songs that had a similar subject matter to the songs on Bad and just put the song with Madonna because it was a duet like the song with Stevie Wonder. I don't know about some of the picks of the other posters like Bob George. I'm not sure how that song relates to anything Mike has put out.

Last edited:
I understood what it was about. I guess a person has to be familiar with Prince's songs to get it. I mostly chose songs that had a similar subject matter to the songs on Bad and just put the song with Madonna because it was a duet like the song with Stevie Wonder. I don't know about some of the picks of the other posters like Bob George. I'm not sure how that song relates to anything Mike has put out.

ahhhh i get it now cuz at first i was like wtf

tumblr_pq700lMjQh1rw606ko1_r1_1280.jpg

DuranDuran;4234571 said:
I don't know about some of the picks of the other posters like Bob George. I'm not sure how that song relates to anything Mike has put out.

It seems some posters relate Prince’s ‘Bob George’ to the ‘Smooth Criminal’ song.

These two songs share some similarities in their dark, violent themes.

Both songs revolve around a woman being in a life-threatening situation where someone threatens to kill her.

The Sign O The Times album was immense, in my opinion it's some of Prince's finest work. I also love Anna Stesia from the Lovesexy album the following year

Man this thread made my day

Okay, heres my selection of what I feel Ps songs relate sonic wise to MJs

La la la Hee Hee Hee (Bad)
Elephants and Flowers (TWYMMF)
Hot Thing(Speed Demon)
Eye Wish U Heaven (Liberian Girl)
Trust (Just Good Friends)
U Got The Look (APOM)
The Cross (MITM)
Scandalous (IJCSLY)
If I was Your Girlfriend (Dirty Diana)
Thieves In the Temple (SC)
The Question of U (Leave Me Alone)
:listeningtomusic

Last edited:

Allow me to digress from the original topic of this thread, but this is what I wanted to say.

Mike and P are my favorite artists. I usually say that Mike pushed me into Prince's arms in the 90's when Mike became the King of Lipsynch. I had for so long as a child appreciated an artist if their songs when performed live sounded exactly like on the record and Mike did that in the 80's but at least the singing was live. It was with Prince that I learned to appreciate and value spontaneity and just playfulness. To this day, I don't know why Michael went that route. Maybe it was the way he wanted it. But see, good things could happen when he allowed himself to be a little spontaneous. His performance of Human Nature on This Is It is one that will always stay with me.

90's Michael was just a studio singer to me. And some of you might say that MJ had nothing to prove, but for many out there how well you can perform live says how bona fide of an artist you are. I remember me playing manager to Michael in my thoughts and advising him to do a stripped down, unplugged thing or a more intimate where he would let his vocals shine. I guess that was me rooting for him or just living vicariously through him.

The 90's and early 2000's produced gems such as Stranger, Give In To Me, Morphine and Whatever Happens that I prayed Mike would play live, but alas it wasn't meant to be. It wasn't his style. It's sad to think that Mike only saw himself as a dancer and thought that his fans only wanted to see him dance and that's why he wouldn't do shows. If he only knew how many of his fans would have loved to see him just sing and maybe play the piano like he did on the adult version of I'll Be There on the Dangerous DVD. That would have restored the critics' high regard of him as well at a time when they were shitting on him.

Prince, on the other hand, was doing the opposite: singing and playing live, sometimes center stage, sometimes letting others have the spotlight while he played subordinate to them. It made for a richer and more varied experience. Not one I would have liked Mike to have replicated, but one I felt he could have taken a page from.

Allow me to digress from the original topic of this thread, but this is what I wanted to say.

Mike and P are my favorite artists. I usually say that Mike pushed me into Prince's arms in the 90's when Mike became the King of Lipsynch. I had for so long as a child appreciated an artist if their songs when performed live sounded exactly like on the record and Mike did that in the 80's but at least the singing was live. It was with Prince that I learned to appreciate and value spontaneity and just playfulness. To this day, I don't know why Michael went that route. Maybe it was the way he wanted it. But see, good things could happen when he allowed himself to be a little spontaneous. His performance of Human Nature on This Is It is one that will always stay with me.

90's Michael was just a studio singer to me. And some of you might say that MJ had nothing to prove, but for many out there how well you can perform live says how bona fide of an artist you are. I remember me playing manager to Michael in my thoughts and advising him to do a stripped down, unplugged thing or a more intimate where he would let his vocals shine. I guess that was me rooting for him or just living vicariously through him.

The 90's and early 2000's produced gems such as Stranger, Give In To Me, Morphine and Whatever Happens that I prayed Mike would play live, but alas it wasn't meant to be. It wasn't his style. It's sad to think that Mike only saw himself as a dancer and thought that his fans only wanted to see him dance and that's why he wouldn't do shows. If he only knew how many of his fans would have loved to see him just sing and maybe play the piano like he did on the adult version of I'll Be There on the Dangerous DVD. That would have restored the critics' high regard of him as well at a time when they were shitting on him.

Prince, on the other hand, was doing the opposite: singing and playing live, sometimes center stage, sometimes letting others have the spotlight while he played subordinate to them. It made for a richer and more varied experience. Not one I would have liked Mike to have replicated, but one I felt he could have taken a page from.

I disagree with you so, so, so much. On just about everything.

The lyrical content of Prince's music is boring and predictable, in my opinion.
Take all the songs about sex out of his catalogue and I doubt there'd be many left.
He was a musician, not an artist/entertainer/performer like Michael.....it's apples and oranges.

I also don't see the point of using a thread to compare songs from the BAD album to Prince songs...there is no comparison, in my view.

Wilmert;4275454 said:

Do you think that if Prince did strenuous dance routines while performing, he could sing live at the same time as much as he sang in his shows during his career?

Now, in Michael Jackson’s case, you should take into account also a very important parameter.

When the BAD Tour was approaching its end, Michael Jackson almost lost his voice because of the many on stage hours that he was singing live during that tour that lasted nearly 16 months.

That tour demanded from him to perform and sing live, and in many cases even on consecutive nights, which is extremely risky for one’s vocal cords.

At the end of the tour, Michael Jackson could barely speak, and medical documents at the time showed that he harmed significantly his vocal cords because of the BAD tour.

Doctors warned him that, for the future he had to minimize his live, on stage singing if he wanted to not lose permanently his vocal cords.

As a result, the main reason for his gradually increasing use of lip-sync (in his subsequent tours during the '90s) had to do with that, rather than with him not being a bona fide artist as you claim.

Take all the songs about sex out of his catalogue and I doubt there'd be many left.

He was a musician, not an artist/entertainer/performer like Michael.....it's apples and oranges.

I also don't see the point of using a thread to compare songs from the BAD album to Prince songs...there is no comparison, in my view.

To be fair to Prince about his lyrics, most of his lyrics were not just about sex.

Generally, his lyrics were about sex, religion, faith, and also about some other things.

Actually, sex and spirituality (religion, faith) were even blended as lyrical themes in the same song.

There were also his philosophical lyrical themes but also there were songs with narrative lyrics about, invented or real, stories (storytelling).

There were also songs about other lyrical themes.

Personally, I would not describe the lyrical content of Prince's music as boring and predictable.

He was a musician, not an artist/entertainer/performer like Michael.....it's apples and oranges
tumblr_projvyHMX91rw606ko1_400.gifv

Not an entertainer? Prince died because he was taking pain pills because of all of the doing splits, jumping and running and dancing around in heels when he was younger. Prince had a bad hip, he was supposed to get a hip replacement. Rumors vary as to whether he did so or not, the reason that is given if he did not is because of the Jehovah's Witnesses, which Prince was a member of the later years of his life.
After he joined the JWs around 2000, Prince stopped performing songs that had profanity or were overly about sex, or he changed the words to them in concert. He even fined his later band members if he heard them cursing by putting money in a curse jar. Questlove said he had to put money in the jar and he was not a member of Prince's band. I think Questlove was talking to Prince at Paisley Park.

Hey man different strokes for different folks. And by the way, Prince was an artist/performer/singer/multi-instrumentalist/producer/entertainer and one of the most gifted lyricists ever.

That's a shame. However, the fact remains that both tours he did in the the 90's were lipsynched and sometimes the mic was on for adlibs. Do you remember the 95 MTV Awards performance when he did You Are Not Alone, he adlibbed at the end live and it was beautiful and I was like why not the whole song. It's a shame cause at those moments I sensed he could deliver the goods, but those for me were wasted opportunity. Then you have the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Induction. He was on crutches and he said there'd be no moonwalking, but he could have sth else. You remember he performed at the Soul Train in a wheelchair. Dude, you're Michael Jackson, you can play the maracas and people are gonna like it. What I'm trying to say is he could have shut up the naysayers. But alas, that was it.

mj_frenzy;4275503 said:
Do you think that if Prince did strenuous dance routines while performing, he could sing live at the same time as much as he sang in his shows during his career?

Now, in Michael Jackson’s case, you should take into account also a very important parameter.

When the BAD Tour was approaching its end, Michael Jackson almost lost his voice because of the many on stage hours that he was singing live during that tour that lasted nearly 16 months.

That tour demanded from him to perform and sing live, and in many cases even on consecutive nights, which is extremely risky for one’s vocal cords.

At the end of the tour, Michael Jackson could barely speak, and medical documents at the time showed that he harmed significantly his vocal cords because of the BAD tour.

Doctors warned him that, for the future he had to minimize his live, on stage singing if he wanted to not lose permanently his vocal cords.

As a result, the main reason for his gradually increasing use of lip-sync (in his subsequent tours during the '90s) had to do with that, rather than with him not being a bona fide artist as you claim.

concerts

It's a shame cause at those moments I sensed he could deliver the goods, but those for me were wasted opportunity. Then you have the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Induction. He was on crutches and he said there'd be no moonwalking, but he could have sth else. You remember he performed at the Soul Train in a wheelchair. Dude, you're Michael Jackson, you can play the maracas and people are gonna like it. What I'm trying to say is he could have shut up the naysayers. But alas, that was it.
Maybe he didn't want to go out there and continue to perform like a Bob Dylan, whose voice is shot and cannot sing the way he used to when he was young. Some older singers lower the key of songs because they can't do the high notes anymore.

Back