Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make a version of the Bad album with Prince tracks!

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 760 Posts

Default Make a version of the Bad album with Prince tracks!

I've been listening to Prince today and after a convo in another thread where Prince's albums came up in comparison to MJ's sound and production -Bad and Dangerous- I've attempted to create his version of the Bad album from the albums Lovsexy/Black Album/Batman, -although I used Adore from SOTT for a sort of Man In The Mirror moment- it was much harder than I thought and the following list isn't an attempt of a direct carbon copy of each track from the original Bad album, it's more a selection of tracks in a similar vain and production. If other Prince fans -or anyone at all- wants to give it a try I would love to see what they can come up with? MJPrince, Innuendo, Matty, HIStoric? Anyone?? I'm calling this album Glam!

Prince: Glam
    01:Lovesexy
    02:Cindy C
    03:Anistasia
    04:When 2R In Love
    05: Party Man
    06:Alphabet Street
    07:Adore
    08:The Arms Of Orion
    09:Glam Slam
    10:Batdance
    11:Le Grind

Bonus Track
    Electric Chair

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,562 Posts

Default Re: Make a version of the Bad album with Prince tracks!

You're such a ****** making these threads so late.

ANYWAY.

1. Partyman
    2. Alphabet Street
    3. Bob George
    4. When 2 R In Love
    5. Trust
    6. Eye No
    7. The Future
    8. Glam Slam
    9. Cindy C
    10. The Future

Bonus Track
    11. Lemon Crush

I tried to do the same as you and whatever immediately came into my head I chose. Now you've reminded me to check out the Black Album bootlegs. Always end up costing me, Double A...

I'll call mine... "Ain't That A B....!!!"

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    You're such a ****** making these threads so late.

ANYWAY.

1. Partyman
    2. Alphabet Street
    3. Bob George
    4. When 2 R In Love
    5. Trust
    6. Eye No
    7. The Future
    8. Glam Slam
    9. Cindy C
    10. The Future

Bonus Track
    11. Lemon Crush

I tried to do the same as you and whatever immediately came into my head I chose. Now you've reminded me to check out the Black Album bootlegs. Always end up costing me, Double A...

I'll call mine... "Ain't That A B....!!!"
    This is serious business and the type of thing that keeps me up at night. Seriously though, there's a lot that sound similar production wise on the Prince albums -obviously theres many albums from that time that sound the same. Sometimes I feel if Prince had released less, a lot of his albums would have been better. Although I do love Lovesexy and the Black Album, even Batman has some good stuff. But MJ's albums are mixed and mastered to perfection and every track is worthy. Very different artists in that sense of course.

We should make a Prince alternative for all the MJ albums. I remember about a year ago -I think it was Matty- did a comparison thread for Thriller and Purple Rain which was quite good.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    This is serious business and the type of thing that keeps me up at night. Seriously though, there's a lot that sound similar production wise on the Prince albums -obviously theres many albums from that time that sound the same. Sometimes I feel if Prince had released less, a lot of his albums would have been better. Although I do love Lovesexy and the Black Album, even Batman has some good stuff. But MJ's albums are mixed and mastered to perfection and every track is worthy. Very different artists in that sense of course.

We should make a Prince alternative for all the MJ albums. I remember about a year ago -I think it was Matty- did a comparison thread for Thriller and Purple Rain which was quite good.
    He just had no filter. In a way I admire it and am glad for it now that he's gone, that there's much more to discover and to get into, but he definitely suffered sales wise having no filter. Matty sent me a few cds of absolutely crazy stuff that anyone would kill for as lead singles, let alone b-sides.

Batman is one of my favourite albums, future, chair, trust, partyman, lemon crush. Class songs. Just hate that my LP doesnt have the inner sleeve!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,055 Posts

Interesting idea for a thread.

It's definitely unfair to compare albums between MJ and Prince, when you consider that in the space between Bad and Dangerous, Prince released five albums. Prince and MJ just worked in very different ways. There are times when I wish Prince would've taken more care about what he put out, and equally, there were times I wish MJ had released more.

One thing they both have in common is unreleased material that is every bit as strong, if not stronger, than a lot of their released work. Of course, Prince has an obscene amount of vaulted material compared to MJ. But I do think the stuff we've heard from Michael posthumously, shows that even his outtakes were mostly of a very high standard. Songs like Behind The Mask, Hollywood Tonight, Chicago, DYKWYCA, Much Too Soon, Slave To The Rhythm, Al Capone, Price of Fame, A Place With No Name.... some of these are single worthy tracks, which is a testament to how ruthless MJ was when selecting which tracks to make the final cut of his albums.

When comparing Prince albums with MJ, you really have to take everything he recorded in any given timeframe into consideration. So for example, it's very easy to look at Diamonds & Pearls which was released the same year as Dangerous, and conclude that Prince's effort isn't a patch on MJ's (and it really isn't). But then he released the brilliant Love Symbol album the following year, and the underrated Graffiti Bridge album the year before. If you compiled the best tracks from these three albums, you would definitely have something that would rival Dangerous in terms of quality:

1. Thunder
    2. Sexy MF
    3. The Morning Papers
    4. Gett Off
    5. Question of U
    6. We Can Funk
    7. Joy In Repetition
    8. Sweet Baby
    9. Thieves In The Temple
    10. Damn U
    11. Walk Don't Walk
    12. 7
    13. Money Don't Matter 2nite
    14. Still Would Stand All Time

You can pretty much do the same thing with any group of Prince albums/MJ era.

I always saw For You/Prince as his OTW (formative years, funky and danceable)
    Chaos & Disorder and Emancipation as his HIStory/BOTD (angry, paranoid albums with some of their most experimental work)
    Rave Un2 as his Invincible (big commercial comeback attempt, both failed to live up to their expectations despite plenty of quality material on each album).
    Last edited by MattyJam; 17-03-2017 at 09:06 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

A few more thoughts...

I've seen many Prince fans over at the org try and belittle MJ's output, by saying how he only released two albums in the 80s during the height of Prince's prolific glory days, but they tend to ignore the fact that MJ released three albums with his brothers between '78-84.

Another thing to consider, when making fair comparisons between MJ and Prince, is to remember that MJ took much more care over the visual aspect of his work. That was a side to MJ's career that Prince never really had. You can count the groundbreaking and iconic Prince music videos on one hand (Purple Rain the movie), whereas MJ had a whole library of them.

Undoubtedly, they both had a lot of similarities (both insanely musically gifted, both incredible live performers, both considered eccentrics and enigmas), but they chose to prioritise different things in their careers, which makes comparing the two fairly quite a difficult task.
    Last edited by MattyJam; 17-03-2017 at 09:02 AM.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    A few more thoughts...

I've seen many Prince fans over at the org try and belittle MJ's output, by saying how he only released two albums in the 80s during the height of Prince's prolific glory days, but they tend to ignore the fact that MJ released three albums with his brothers between '78-84.

Another thing to consider, when making fair comparisons between MJ and Prince, is to remember that MJ took much more care over the visual aspect of his work. That was a side to MJ's career that Prince never really had. You can count the groundbreaking and iconic Prince music videos on one hand (Purple Rain the movie), whereas MJ had a whole library of them.

Undoubtedly, they both had a lot of similarities (both insanely musically gifted, both incredible live performers, both considered eccentrics and enigmas), but they chose to prioritise different things in their careers, which makes comparing the two fairly quite a difficult task.
    Aren't we so lucky to have been alive while they were churning out stuff.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^^ Oh God, totally. I have a little one on the way, my first, and I feel kind of sorry for him that pretty much all of the legendary, iconic and uber-talented superstars from the 60/70s/80s/90s are all either dead or getting very elderly.

I just wish I was born 10 years earlier, so I could've experienced things like the Bad tour and the Lovesexy tour firsthand. But at least our generation caught the tail-end of it, and for that, I am thankful.
    Last edited by MattyJam; 17-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Sounds great guys and funky, but what I wanted truly was a duet album. Mine would be (1 duet and a Michael cover version then the album for real, with equivalent Bad tracks in brackets)
    1. Bad (Duet with Prince and Michael Jackson)
    2. Adore (Imagine Michael singing this song - I mean wow!!!)
    3. Cindy C (I can't stop loving you)
    4. Le Grind (Bad)
    5. Darling Nikki (Prince's dirty Diana)
    6. U got the look (Response to Just good friends)
    7. Shockadelica (Response to the way you make me feel, its hard to make apples into oranges)
    8. Sign o the times (Man in the Mirror)
    9. Housequake (Smooth Criminal)
    10. Hot Thing (Speed Demon)
    11. Electric Chair (Another part of me)
    12. Annastesia (Liberian Girl)
    13. Hello (Leave me alone)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mjprince1976 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^^ Oh God, totally. I have a little one on the way, my first, and I feel kind of sorry for him that pretty much all of the legendary, iconic and uber-talented superstars from the 60/70s/80s/90s are all either dead or getting very elderly.

I just wish I was born 10 years earlier, so I could've experienced things like the Bad tour and the Lovesexy tour firsthand. But at least our generation caught the tail-end of it, and for that, I am thankful.
    I curse the gods each and every day that I was denied the 60's myself.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

A few more thoughts...

I agree, Michael put more work into his dancing, song craft and the visual image. Most Prince videos are mediocre and even the good ones (Kiss, Mountains, Alphabet Street) score on their simplicity and what Prince is doing. Michael's videos were mini musical movies, that sold the song, the album and Michael's stage presence which resulted in bums on seats (Or moving, who sits down at a Michael Jackson concert). Prince's videos at best sold a few copies of song, and more attention was paid to the song, and how Prince and his band mates looked.

Michael could also stretch the momentum on an album. Thriller pretty much ran from Nov 1982 through to late 1984 (Jacksons - Victory), he wa sback in the public eye for most of 1985 with the We are the world project and part of 1986 with Another part of me/Captain EO. Bad and its singles/tour were in the public eye from the July 1987 release of I can't stop loving you through to Liberian Girl leaing the charts in mid 1989.

Whereas Prince had his projects sink from view after a few months, only 1999 (Nov 1982 - July 1983) and Purple Rain (May 1984 - Mar 1985) had much traction. And really Purple Rain scored at the right time, when Michael was less visible, the album release conicided with the last Thriller singles leaving the charts and only the Jackson's Victory tour in the go with a lot of bad publicity, MJ walked away from a lot of the promotion. Had Purple Rain dropped in early 1983, it may not have scored as well, while Billie Jean and Beat it ruled the charts.

I love Prince and he is my favourite artist, but his marketing sucked, he released albums so quickly and never dropped more than 5 singles off a project and with the exception of Purple Rain, never more than 3 were hits, in some albums, only 1 was a hit. Compare that to Michael who released 7 singles off Thriller (And also Say say say, and We are the world) and 9(!!) singles off Bad. By the time you got to single 9 on a standard Prince album, you would have exhausted it or reached the filler.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjprince1976 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

You're right, he was abysmal at marketing himself. It was largely due to the nature of how he worked though, as he always moved on so quickly, before he released one album, he'd already be putting the finishing touches to its follow up (I believe this was the case with ATWIAD, which was nearly completed before Purple Rain was even out).

His work ethic was amazing, and the sheer amount of incredible material he made in his lifetime was nothing short of astounding. But for me, I am an MJ fan first and a Prince fan second. I have loved them both since I was about 10 years old (I'm 32 now!). And I've probably spent way more time listening to Prince than MJ, but that's mainly because his catalogue is so much larger.

For me, MJ was always about quality over quantity. Now I'm not implying for one second that Prince was the opposite of that, because that's a major misnomer which some folks who aren't that familiar with Prince's catalogue assume. Prince had more than enough quality control on almost all of his albums. But it was different to MJ. With Michael everything had to be "just-so", every sound, every nuance.... it was a labour of love and you can tell he really spent a lot of time crafting the best possible album he could humanly make. With Prince, it was more about being in the moment, putting it down on tape and then moving on to the next idea. Both ways of working are as valid as eachother, and they both managed to create some of the best pop music ever recorded, so I genuinely believe there's a great deal to be learnt from both of them.

I think the reason for me that I would pick MJ over Prince is because I think MJ is the only artist I've ever encountered who I genuinely feel was channelling something higher than himself through his talent. His levels of talent were bordering on the supernatural. Prince was a musicians musician, and nobody could play that funky guitar or single handedly put together a song from scratch the way he could. But MJ was just something else. Talent and charisma eminated from his body, call it an aura, call it the midas touch, call it whatever, but it was just so other-worldly.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thanks guys for the awesome response, thought it was a bit of a half baked idea for a thread but it was more of an excuse to see what Prince tracks you'ed all offer as a comparison to MJ; I realise it's bit impossible really to arrive at anything definitive.

Interesting idea for a thread.

It's definitely unfair to compare albums between MJ and Prince, when you consider that in the space between Bad and Dangerous, Prince released five albums. Prince and MJ just worked in very different ways. There are times when I wish Prince would've taken more care about what he put out, and equally, there were times I wish MJ had released more.

One thing they both have in common is unreleased material that is every bit as strong, if not stronger, than a lot of their released work. Of course, Prince has an obscene amount of vaulted material compared to MJ. But I do think the stuff we've heard from Michael posthumously, shows that even his outtakes were mostly of a very high standard. Songs like Behind The Mask, Hollywood Tonight, Chicago, DYKWYCA, Much Too Soon, Slave To The Rhythm, Al Capone, Price of Fame, A Place With No Name.... some of these are single worthy tracks, which is a testament to how ruthless MJ was when selecting which tracks to make the final cut of his albums.

When comparing Prince albums with MJ, you really have to take everything he recorded in any given timeframe into consideration. So for example, it's very easy to look at Diamonds & Pearls which was released the same year as Dangerous, and conclude that Prince's effort isn't a patch on MJ's (and it really isn't). But then he released the brilliant Love Symbol album the following year, and the underrated Graffiti Bridge album the year before. If you compiled the best tracks from these three albums, you would definitely have something that would rival Dangerous in terms of quality:

1. Thunder
    2. Sexy MF
    3. The Morning Papers
    4. Gett Off
    5. Question of U
    6. We Can Funk
    7. Joy In Repetition
    8. Sweet Baby
    9. Thieves In The Temple
    10. Damn U
    11. Walk Don't Walk
    12. 7
    13. Money Don't Matter 2nite
    14. Still Would Stand All Time

You can pretty much do the same thing with any group of Prince albums/MJ era.

I always saw For You/Prince as his OTW (formative years, funky and danceable)
    Chaos & Disorder and Emancipation as his HIStory/BOTD (angry, paranoid albums with some of their most experimental work)
    Rave Un2 as his Invincible (big commercial comeback attempt, both failed to live up to their expectations despite plenty of quality material on each album).
    I love this list, The Morning Papers is one of my favourites from Love Symbol. I love these types of lists, a lot of the time I try to find ways to make Prince more accesible to others in the same way MJ is. You're always great for track lists, this will serve as Prince's version of Dangerous, and this is a great way into Prince's work for MJ fans on the fence or overwhelmed by his catalogue. 7 is one of Tony R's favourites as long as I've known him -10 years. I think both MJ & Prince have so many parallels and Invincible/Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic is one I didn't even realise but definitely accurate.

A few more thoughts...

Why I've never really posted on the org actually. I find the way some of them belittle just about any artist incredibly juvenile and cant stand all that Stan shit. Yeah, agree about the differences in how both approached their craft; completely differently, both incredible. Great point on the question of whether MJ was a prolific artist. People seem to forget this whole other career in the J5 and The Jackson's. Even before they were signed to Motown there was the songs recorded on some small time label and also Steeltown and all the gigs they did up and down America, He pretty much worked all through the 70's, 80's and 90's. Even much of the 00's was spent in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    He just had no filter. In a way I admire it and am glad for it now that he's gone, that there's much more to discover and to get into, but he definitely suffered sales wise having no filter. Matty sent me a few cds of absolutely crazy stuff that anyone would kill for as lead singles, let alone b-sides.

Batman is one of my favourite albums, future, chair, trust, partyman, lemon crush. Class songs. Just hate that my LP doesnt have the inner sleeve!

When listening to Batman last night I forgot how good it actually is. A lot of fans hate on it for some reason, probably because it was tied in to a big commercial film. I actually like a lot of the dialogue -the joker- from the film in the tracks.

You're right, he was abysmal at marketing himself. It was largely due to the nature of how he worked though, as he always moved on so quickly, before he released one album, he'd already be putting the finishing touches to its follow up (I believe this was the case with ATWIAD, which was nearly completed before Purple Rain was even out).

His work ethic was amazing, and the sheer amount of incredible material he made in his lifetime was nothing short of astounding. But for me, I am an MJ fan first and a Prince fan second. I have loved them both since I was about 10 years old (I'm 32 now!). And I've probably spent way more time listening to Prince than MJ, but that's mainly because his catalogue is so much larger.
    I'm much the same but don't feel as schooled on Prince even though I've read 3 or 4 books and watched the few documentarties available. I'm an MJ fan first -only really into Prince in the last 10 years- but spent an awful lot of time going through Prince's official catalogue and then sort of dipped into side projects, but there's sooo much music to sift through I found it incredibly daunting.

MJ was always about quality over quantity. Now I'm not implying for one second that Prince was the opposite of that, because that's a major misnomer which some folks who aren't that familiar with Prince's catalogue assume. Prince had more than enough quality control on almost all of his albums. But it was different to MJ. With Michael everything had to be "just-so", every sound, every nuance.... it was a labour of love and you can tell he really spent a lot of time crafting the best possible album he could humanly make. With Prince, it was more about being in the moment, putting it down on tape and then moving on to the next idea. Both ways of working are as valid as eachother, and they both managed to create some of the best pop music ever recorded, so I genuinely believe there's a great deal to be learnt from both of them.

I think the reason for me that I would pick MJ over Prince is because I think MJ is the only artist I've ever encountered who I genuinely feel was channelling something higher than himself through his talent. His levels of talent were bordering on the supernatural. Prince was a musicians musician, and nobody could play that funky guitar or single handedly put together a song from scratch the way he could. But MJ was just something else. Talent and charisma eminated from his body, call it an aura, call it the midas touch, call it whatever, but it was just so other-worldly.
    Last edited by aazzaabb; 18-03-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjprince1976 View Post
    I agree, Michael put more work into his dancing, song craft and the visual image. Most Prince videos are mediocre and even the good ones (Kiss, Mountains, Alphabet Street) score on their simplicity and what Prince is doing. Michael's videos were mini musical movies, that sold the song, the album and Michael's stage presence which resulted in bums on seats (Or moving, who sits down at a Michael Jackson concert). Prince's videos at best sold a few copies of song, and more attention was paid to the song, and how Prince and his band mates looked.

Michael could also stretch the momentum on an album. Thriller pretty much ran from Nov 1982 through to late 1984 (Jacksons - Victory), he wa sback in the public eye for most of 1985 with the We are the world project and part of 1986 with Another part of me/Captain EO. Bad and its singles/tour were in the public eye from the July 1987 release of I can't stop loving you through to Liberian Girl leaing the charts in mid 1989.

Whereas Prince had his projects sink from view after a few months, only 1999 (Nov 1982 - July 1983) and Purple Rain (May 1984 - Mar 1985) had much traction. And really Purple Rain scored at the right time, when Michael was less visible, the album release conicided with the last Thriller singles leaving the charts and only the Jackson's Victory tour in the go with a lot of bad publicity, MJ walked away from a lot of the promotion. Had Purple Rain dropped in early 1983, it may not have scored as well, while Billie Jean and Beat it ruled the charts.

I love Prince and he is my favourite artist, but his marketing sucked, he released albums so quickly and never dropped more than 5 singles off a project and with the exception of Purple Rain, never more than 3 were hits, in some albums, only 1 was a hit. Compare that to Michael who released 7 singles off Thriller (And also Say say say, and We are the world) and 9(!!) singles off Bad. By the time you got to single 9 on a standard Prince album, you would have exhausted it or reached the filler.
    Great post man. It's always great to have a fan -of any artist- who's actually objective to the point where you can have a great discussion. Thanks for adding a playlist up top also. Regarding an MJ and Prince duet, it's the one thing that would go through the roof in terms of anticipation and expectation. Have you heard anything about this supposed Prince version of Bad? I know fans create a lot of these rumours, but they must have recovered an awful lot of material from the vault. I read somewhere that entire never released music films were in there also. Will we ever see any of it?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

You are lucky too, Matty Jam and myself are prolific posters over on the Prince.org as well, so Prince is a big part of our lives. In his case MJ is his #1 artist, and my #2 artist behind Prince. I pretty much live and breathe Prince, but Michael Jackson is never far from my thoughts. No one can compete with a genius like Michael
    Don't get me wrong, Michael is awesome too and as my #2, he is a lot closer to Prince than he is to my #3 artist - Madonna. I agree with Matty Jam about quality control, Michael's albums were not just good, they were perfect, OTW to Dangerous do not see a single mistep, the meticulous quality of every song, there is no filler and no slack, every beat had to sound funky and be just right. Commercially perfect and great product. History nearly reaches the mark, and BODF and Invincible are great too, but Michael's quality had slipped a bit. There are still highlights like Break of Dawn, TDCAU, Ghosts and the like that would fit into the tight quality control of Bad and Thriller, but songs like The Lost Children and Privacy would be locked out!
    I have liked Michael longer, but I guess Prince is #1 for me, because I am not as big a fan of commercial perfection as I am of free form and fun. Michael's songs were rigorously structured, what you got on stage was the album track with some incredible dancing and acrobatics, with Prince however the stage and his bootleg mixes of thge songs were so different to the album versions. That is what does it for me, the fact Prince always mixed it up and in reality, Prince could never make an album as tight and rigid in its quality as Bad, but his ideal album would be fun and a mix of styles. Great as Bad is, its all basically tight dance pop grooves, a bit of balladry and decent rock cuts. Sign o the Times on the other hand has Jazz, Funk, Pop, Soul, R and B, Sexy ballads, smoochy ballads, gospel, live stage soloing and devotional ballads along with gender bending funk and hippy songwriter stuff. Seriously that album is everywhere. Likeme, I am everywhere I like variety and spice and as much as I love Michael and the Bad album, it just lacks the adventure and experimentation of Prince. Of course not every experoiment and gimmick of Prince's worked. His albums would have a 1 to 10/10 songs on most of them, with mostly 10s, but 2s as well, whereas Michael every song was a straight 9/10 if you get what I mean.

I agree with Matty, that Prince never gave his music enough time to bed in and he lost interest in a project too quickly. Prince got frustrated with the time it tool a project to come out, most of 1987's Sign o the Times was written in late 1985 and mid 1986, by mid 1987 he had the Black album in the can and was already working on some cuts that would end up on 1990's Graffiti Bridge. Meanwhile Michael would milk a project so at least 7 singles over 2 years would come of it and do tours and videos along with publicity so albums stayed on the charts and high on the charts for ages. Even in the 80s, the typical Prince project came out, peaked and dropped off the chart within 20 weeks (Purple Rain and 1999 being the exceptions), whereas Thriller and Bad spent about 2 years in the chart. Thriller spent 37 weeks at #1 in the USA, yet another 50 or more in the Top 10 and over 100 weeks in the Top 40, even Purple Rain which spent 24 weeks at #1, spent only 37 weeks in total in the Top 40 and 58 in the Top 100 (In its initial run, the album came back in 2004 and 2016 after his death).

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjprince1976 For This Useful Post: