Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz

Owner And Founder
Staff member
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi Guys :)

I'm looking at ways to try and drive more activity to the forum thus I thought I ask you all for some feedback on what you would like to see added/changed.

See as we are now deep in post MJ (hate saying that :( ) it's clear as a community we now need to look for alternatives to continue discussion.

So let me know guys, what do you think is not working, what would like to see added that would be of interest.

Obviously I am mainly referring to our non MJ area's but if there are any idea's on the MJ sections then of course post them to.

Cheers
Gary

Good idea Gaz. One thing that hasn't diminished are the decent discussions we have here at MJJC that you wouldn't find elsewhere.

I think because MJ would lead many fans to listen to other artists because of his own inspirations and tributes, maybe the "General Music" part of the forum should move up a bit? Its obvious everyone here is a fan of music in some way or another, but I think this would be a great way to find out more about the people we basically chat with every day, and not have to revert as often to topics covered to death. Namely Invincible!

Nige

Gaz, can I infer from what you're saying that visitor numbers are dropping too low??

If MJ fans aren't coming here (just about the only major MJ community on the net these days) then I don't know what you can do to attract more members, other than to branch out with boards for other artists in the hope that they come here. I can see why that idea might not be popular though. Perhaps you could appease the MJ fans by only targetting fans from artists who have either inspired MJ or who have themselves been inspired by MJ. Obviously you'd have most visitors by doing the latter.

Actually, I do have another idea. If there is for example a very active Chinese or Japanese MJ fan community, another option might be to diversity the site's user base by targetting specific language groups - add specific subforums where fans can communicate in their own language. I don't want to offend anybody...English is a very widely spoken language around the world, but perhaps the Chinese or Japanese fans may not be as likely to speak English as, for example, the German fans. Those guys are probably here already and if you introduced German language subforums you may fragment the existing community which wouldn't be desirable (IMO).

As a Chinese visitor, MKGenie has been invaluable over the years, with the information s/he has provided early on about upcoming projects. That particular poster happens to speak good English but could potentially encourage other Chinese visitors (assuming s/he doesn't already run their own Chinese language forum that would be harmed by MJJC's expansion in that area).

I think there have been some really great ideas mentioned. I definitely think it's worth a try to merge all MJ discussion into one, as Matty said I haven't really been in the news section for a while as it is very quiet for obvious reasons. I definitely think it would open up discussion more.

I kind of just agree with all that Matty said actually :clapping: lol some great ideas. Also the suggestion about driving more discussion around music as a whole about other artists in particular that inspired MJ. I know I would be interested in this as there are a lot of very knowledgable music fans here that I'd be interested in conversing with further but there's not much opportunity for that as it is at the moment.

I think current discussions will always drive daily return visits, but there is a huge amount of great information on here that is not always easy to access, maybe because you don't know where or how to find it, and you don't always have time to look around.

It would be great to be able to use some of the existing material more as a resource, maybe divided up into MJ 'historical eras' from pre-Motown onwards. Maybe just two or three headings under each era, such as 'Music /Tours', 'Films / Video /TV/ Photos' and 'Everything else'. Maybe after relevant new discussion threads have run their time, they could be archived under an appropriate 'resource' heading (but still allow discussion there).

There are some 'MJ topics' that I'd like to read or post about, but they don't seem to fit anywhere in particular, like 'Dance' (including 'inspired by MJ'), MJ Costumes and Fashion, MJ Books and reviews/ Interviews about MJ, 'MJ Locations'- including homes, museums, statues etc. A worldwide annual Fan event Calendar , maybe in 'Legacy' would be good too.

Last edited:
I'd like to see questions and answers with interesting people, not just MJ's family (although it would nice!), but also his collaborators, researchers (not necessarily people who met him personally), impersonators, collectors, doll-makers, etc. I think a couple of us over here do interesting stuff, so it'd be nice to learn more about each other :)

Honestly for the parts of the forum I use, I think it's perfect and I couldn't think of any improvements. You're doing Michael's legacy proud :clapping:
Thank You

Guys, can we stay on topic please? This thread is to discuss improvements to the site as it is now. It's interesting to hear all your opinions on the 'In the Hood' section both for and against but I feel the thread is getting derailed now? Obviously there are fans who will love it, fans who will hate it and that is absolutely fine. Gaz's intentions when creating that section was to provide a platform for those more 'contraversial' (for want of a better word) topics that perhaps weren't in the traditional ethos of MJJC to see if there is a call for it as an unmoderated area. This was primarily to drive more discussion and see if there is a call for it but MJJC is first and foremost a fan forum, obviously. This was with a disclaimer that that part of the forum is unmoderated to a degree to allow members to make an informed decision of whether that is for you or not. I hope this makes it more clear?

FYI, I have merged a couple of double posts in this thread as well to make it easier to follow. As always posts can be edited and the multi-quote function is there when needed. Thanks! :flowers:

Guys ffs - why have you hijacked my feedback (read what I wrote) thread with your tit for tat post's?

**goes to delete every single one as it is not the feed back I requested**

From here on keep on topic please - if unsure re read my post.

Some brilliant feedback though guys - and yes looks like will need to action some executive orders and implement them.

Keep them coming guys, although I understand in the hood will be a sesative area there wasn't the need for all that, although one good point came out of knowing a max (who do nothing but slag of MJJC) jax member has been un steathed :rofl:

I see you wanted another kind of feedback. However, what kind of moderation and direction people would like isn't totally off topic in a feedback thread IMO. Especially in the context of In The Hood and the like.

But yeah, moving on.

That would have been the case if I'd have ask for that kind of feedback but it wasn't, I even specifically said it's mainly the non MJ sections, anyway I'm sure you can see there wasn't the need for all that I asked for specifics on what would you like to see changed/added/moved not a gazzillion words of back and forth between three members.

But yeah moving on....

I thought the exclusive Q&As were brilliant, so anyway of rebooting that please?

It would certainly be a conversation/news starter :)

A suggestion would be for mods to choose a song each week to be discussed, and that thread should be stickied at the top of the page to keep it alive. It could be a song/concert/collaboration/short film. This way we could avoid any possible lull that happens from time to time.

Keep it coming guys - hearing some great ideas which I will be implementing over the course of this week.

I'd like "This Day in Michael's History" to be moved to a prominent place-maybe the news section. That way, we could discuss the different events that happened on that particular day, or just reminisce about it.

I know the answer but what the heck I will say it anyways. Open 2000 Watts to long time members 5 yrs or more. Please and Thank you!

That's a really good idea.

I don't think all the seperate forums for other artists work. Have any of them really taken off? There are a lot of Prince fans on here, but none of them check the Prince forum on an MJ board. They will go to a Prince fansite to do that.

Janet should have her own forum, but Justin Bieber and Beyonce? No. The Music - It's The Biz forum is hidden away and needs to be right underneath the MJ discussion, so we can have a busy MJ news and discussion forum and then a busy non-MJ music forum, where we can have debates about other artists.

I also think the In The Hood MJ forum has a lot of untapped potential. I like the idea of a forum where you can discuss/debate the more controversial aspects of MJs life, but nobody visits this forum, because it's hidden away and nobody really knows what it's there for.

Yeah everything here. I'd simplify it all.

No need for a news section (unfortunately) anymore.

So I'd have the main forums as:

Michael Jackson discussion board (mix of News, Michael Mania & In The Hood threads, where in the anything goes thread they have come sort of certificate in the title).
Maybe one sticky per album including Jacksons ones rather than multiple Invincible ones!
Music Discussion (probably called 'Music & Me') this includes all the in the hood stuff but one thread per artist rather than countless ones for Madonna etc.

I have now actioned the News/Michael Mania as I agree, post MJ there isn't the need to for sections - thus as of now, the MJ mania section no longer exists, the news sections has now been renamed to 'Michael Jackson News And Discussion' anything MJ related now goes here.

I will also be removing all the separate artist sections back into the Music Is The Biz and making it more prominent.

Love the idea of the 'Music And Me' title - have now moved and removed all those separate forums to it and also made it more prominent.

Going forward I am looking at having three main sections Michael Jackson / The Jacksons / Everything Else

Ok I'm done guys - I've taken into consideration all ideas and a few of my own, have a check lemme know what you think.

Just a quick question - I'm thinking of expanding the Jackson's area - yes to include Paris, prince etc - some feedback (who to include) on this would be great to.

Much better Gaz!

Personally I'd still have Janet & The Jacksons in the Music thread, or at least one thread that is just on their music then people can talk about other stuff elsewhere.

Much better Gaz!

Personally I'd still have Janet & The Jacksons in the Music thread, or at least one thread that is just on their music then people can talk about other stuff elsewhere.

If it's music related you can add what ever you want, the only issue might be there will be two about the music as I'm thinking if the Jackson's section is not about any music there will be little happening in there.

I saw the Paris thread. Will Prince have his own too?

Just checking. Does this mean that any new threads we make in News/Mania automatically go to Facebook and Twitter?

Gaz- can we also please have the collectors / memorabilia threads in the main section or Fan section? They are missing now.

Love the changes Gaz. Nice work.

Now who've I gotta sleep with around here to be a mod? I'm just waiting to discipline Tony R next time he talks salty about Invincible.

Cheers :) - ATM I am not looking for moderators - when I do I will of course keep you in mind :)

I saw the Paris thread. Will Prince have his own too?

Just checking. Does this mean that any new threads we make in News/Mania automatically go to Facebook and Twitter?

I am just testing the water on the Paris section as part of The Jacksons section if it's welcomed and used then there may just be others.

Post's no longer go to MJJC's Facebook and Twitter.

I really like the idea of having a different MJ Song Of The Week picked by a mod every week. I've seen it on other artists forums, and its a good way to get folks talking about the music again.

I have always championed that its the members who depict the majority of this boards content, if you want to add a MJ song of the week be my guest, we the MJJC team just keep things running smoothly.

Gaz- can we also please have the collectors / memorabilia threads in the main section or Fan section? They are missing now.

Personal memorabilia or fan collections must be posted in the MJJCFam section by members who wish to showcase their collections - however as our rules state no selling is permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back