Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,857 Times in 889 Posts

Default MJJC Feedback Time

Hi Guys

I'm looking at ways to try and drive more activity to the forum thus I thought I ask you all for some feedback on what you would like to see added/changed.

See as we are now deep in post MJ (hate saying that ) it's clear as a community we now need to look for alternatives to continue discussion.

So let me know guys, what do you think is not working, what would like to see added that would be of interest.

Obviously I am mainly referring to our non MJ area's but if there are any idea's on the MJ sections then of course post them to.

Cheers
    Gary
    MJJCommunity President Owner And Founder
    Making that change for Michael since 2001
    Loyal fan since 1978

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,560 Posts

Default Re: MJJC Feedback Time

Good idea Gaz. One thing that hasn't diminished are the decent discussions we have here at MJJC that you wouldn't find elsewhere.

I think because MJ would lead many fans to listen to other artists because of his own inspirations and tributes, maybe the "General Music" part of the forum should move up a bit? Its obvious everyone here is a fan of music in some way or another, but I think this would be a great way to find out more about the people we basically chat with every day, and not have to revert as often to topics covered to death. Namely Invincible!

Nige

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Gaz, can I infer from what you're saying that visitor numbers are dropping too low??

If MJ fans aren't coming here (just about the only major MJ community on the net these days) then I don't know what you can do to attract more members, other than to branch out with boards for other artists in the hope that they come here. I can see why that idea might not be popular though. Perhaps you could appease the MJ fans by only targetting fans from artists who have either inspired MJ or who have themselves been inspired by MJ. Obviously you'd have most visitors by doing the latter.

Actually, I do have another idea. If there is for example a very active Chinese or Japanese MJ fan community, another option might be to diversity the site's user base by targetting specific language groups - add specific subforums where fans can communicate in their own language. I don't want to offend anybody...English is a very widely spoken language around the world, but perhaps the Chinese or Japanese fans may not be as likely to speak English as, for example, the German fans. Those guys are probably here already and if you introduced German language subforums you may fragment the existing community which wouldn't be desirable (IMO).

As a Chinese visitor, MKGenie has been invaluable over the years, with the information s/he has provided early on about upcoming projects. That particular poster happens to speak good English but could potentially encourage other Chinese visitors (assuming s/he doesn't already run their own Chinese language forum that would be harmed by MJJC's expansion in that area).

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,055 Posts

I've always thought that there should be one main forum for MJ discussion and news. Do away with the Michaelmania forum and have all MJ related discussion on one central board. I never visit the news section because, well, lets face it, what news is there going to be? But if you add the news stories to the general discussion then there would be one central place for all MJ talk and it'd look a lot busier. I visit a few other fansites (mainly prince.org and mygnrforum.com) and the main board on those sites is always thriving, because you can discuss everything, from an appreciation thread to the latest news stories etc. Too many sub-forums make a forum look quieter than it really is.

Oh, and also, make me a mod.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I also think, when there is really big news, like a new album coming out etc, there shouldn't be a separate forum for this. Everything should be discussed on one board, so everyone knows where to look.

We have some terrific discussions on the Michaelmania board, and I quite like that it isn't too crowded, because some of us have built up a really good rapport and the banter is hilarious.

But I think a lot of fans don't even bother to check the Michaelmania board and end up missing out on some really interesting debates and topics. Another reason to merge the two boards. I know we had a vote on it once, and the result was in favour of keeping it the way it always has been. But Gaz, this board is your baby, and I think you should make an executive decision on what you feel is best for keeping this board alive and active for future generations of MJ fans.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    Good idea Gaz. One thing that hasn't diminished are the decent discussions we have here at MJJC that you wouldn't find elsewhere.

I think because MJ would lead many fans to listen to other artists because of his own inspirations and tributes, maybe the "General Music" part of the forum should move up a bit? Its obvious everyone here is a fan of music in some way or another, but I think this would be a great way to find out more about the people we basically chat with every day, and not have to revert as often to topics covered to death. Namely Invincible!

Nige
    That's a really good idea.

I don't think all the seperate forums for other artists work. Have any of them really taken off? There are a lot of Prince fans on here, but none of them check the Prince forum on an MJ board. They will go to a Prince fansite to do that.

Janet should have her own forum, but Justin Bieber and Beyonce? No. The Music - It's The Biz forum is hidden away and needs to be right underneath the MJ discussion, so we can have a busy MJ news and discussion forum and then a busy non-MJ music forum, where we can have debates about other artists.

I also think the In The Hood MJ forum has a lot of untapped potential. I like the idea of a forum where you can discuss/debate the more controversial aspects of MJs life, but nobody visits this forum, because it's hidden away and nobody really knows what it's there for.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I think there have been some really great ideas mentioned. I definitely think it's worth a try to merge all MJ discussion into one, as Matty said I haven't really been in the news section for a while as it is very quiet for obvious reasons. I definitely think it would open up discussion more.

I kind of just agree with all that Matty said actually lol some great ideas. Also the suggestion about driving more discussion around music as a whole about other artists in particular that inspired MJ. I know I would be interested in this as there are a lot of very knowledgable music fans here that I'd be interested in conversing with further but there's not much opportunity for that as it is at the moment.

Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,851 Times in 9,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post

I also think the In The Hood MJ forum has a lot of untapped potential. I like the idea of a forum where you can discuss/debate the more controversial aspects of MJs life, but nobody visits this forum, because it's hidden away and nobody really knows what it's there for.

We have enough of trash thrown at MJ outside of this forum and many fans come here as a shelter from that. So for that reason I feel some kind of way about In The Hood - the idea of an unmoderated part of the forum. I think giving up moderation rights doesn't necessarily lead to great things on an MJ forum. Thankfully haters and trolls haven't discovered this opportunity, but if it is more center stange they may. I personally do not visit that part of the forum a lot - not because I don't know about it, but because whatever I feel the need to say about MJ doesn't need an unmoderated section. And I think most fans here are like that. That's why it isn't too popular, not because it is "hidden". Actually, you CAN be critical of MJ in the normal section as well, the only thing you cannot go on about is the messy subjects - such as the paternity of his kids. I think in reality anything else can be discussed outside of that section as well. We have seen a topic in the Trials and Tribulations section about one fan expressing her doubt about MJ's innocence and it was not deleted, moderated or silenced. We have seen a great number of topics about MJ's plastic surgery in the Michael Mania section - so again, it is not like any of this is taboo elsewhere on the forum. The only thing that probably is the paternity issue maybe. So why do we really need the In The Hood section at all? But if we do then I am not in favour of making it more center stage.

But I agree with your point on "too many subforums". I also don't see the reason behind so many dedicated forums to other artists. I knew from the get go this will not make Madonna, Bieber, Kanye, Taylor Swift etc. fans come here. Why would they? They have their own fan communities. For an artist that hasn't had any comments here for years I could never see the point in dedicating a whole subforum to them.

I think there should be one big MJ section - the main section. Or maybe two forums: one for music discussion, another for everything else related to MJ (lawsuits, family, non-music related news).
    Then a section for general music discussion (for topics about other artists). If you feel someone is more important to or popular in the MJ fan community make that a sticky topic but that's it. No need for a subforum for every artist.
    Then a forum for everything else - discussions about movies, politics, news, religion etc.
    Last edited by respect77; 17-03-2017 at 08:07 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to respect77 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,247 Posts

I think current discussions will always drive daily return visits, but there is a huge amount of great information on here that is not always easy to access, maybe because you don't know where or how to find it, and you don't always have time to look around.

It would be great to be able to use some of the existing material more as a resource, maybe divided up into MJ 'historical eras' from pre-Motown onwards. Maybe just two or three headings under each era, such as 'Music /Tours', 'Films / Video /TV/ Photos' and 'Everything else'. Maybe after relevant new discussion threads have run their time, they could be archived under an appropriate 'resource' heading (but still allow discussion there).

There are some 'MJ topics' that I'd like to read or post about, but they don't seem to fit anywhere in particular, like 'Dance' (including 'inspired by MJ'), MJ Costumes and Fashion, MJ Books and reviews/ Interviews about MJ, 'MJ Locations'- including homes, museums, statues etc. A worldwide annual Fan event Calendar , maybe in 'Legacy' would be good too.
    Last edited by myosotis; 19-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'd like to see questions and answers with interesting people, not just MJ's family (although it would nice!), but also his collaborators, researchers (not necessarily people who met him personally), impersonators, collectors, doll-makers, etc. I think a couple of us over here do interesting stuff, so it'd be nice to learn more about each other
    ∀x(MJs_fans(x) -> immortal_legacy(x))

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Honestly for the parts of the forum I use, I think it's perfect and I couldn't think of any improvements. You're doing Michael's legacy proud
    Thank You

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Gaz

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,006 Posts

I'll try to think of something (is there a deadline?), but while I'm here I just want to say that it's great that you as a mod ask us what we want.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Gaz

Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Guys, can we stay on topic please? This thread is to discuss improvements to the site as it is now. It's interesting to hear all your opinions on the 'In the Hood' section both for and against but I feel the thread is getting derailed now? Obviously there are fans who will love it, fans who will hate it and that is absolutely fine. Gaz's intentions when creating that section was to provide a platform for those more 'contraversial' (for want of a better word) topics that perhaps weren't in the traditional ethos of MJJC to see if there is a call for it as an unmoderated area. This was primarily to drive more discussion and see if there is a call for it but MJJC is first and foremost a fan forum, obviously. This was with a disclaimer that that part of the forum is unmoderated to a degree to allow members to make an informed decision of whether that is for you or not. I hope this makes it more clear?

FYI, I have merged a couple of double posts in this thread as well to make it easier to follow. As always posts can be edited and the multi-quote function is there when needed. Thanks!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to StaceyMJ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

With regards to the can of worms I appear to have opened mentioning the In The Hood section, I stand by my assertion that it is a worthy addition to this forum. If some folks want MJJC to remain a safe haven for MJ fans then just don't visit that section of the forum. But I do think a little bit of trust goes a long way, and I can't help but wonder if the likes of respect77 and SmoothMJ (two posters I have a lot of time for), are perhaps being a bit paranoid about it. I don't think any of us want a negative or hate-filled board on MJJC and if the In The Hood section was indeed made more prominent and given a "promotion" on this site, I still don't think it should be unmoderated. Infact, it should probably be the most closely moderated board on the whole forum. Of course, the job of a mod shouldn't be to moderate or censor peoples opinions, but we've all seen certain members in the past who push forward certain ideas or agendas, who seem to have very little in the way of anything positive to say about MJ, and you do have to question their motivations. And this is why it should be closely monitored. But why should a few l trolls ruin it for those of us who are actually capable of polite, well-reasoned and critical discussion?

President Owner And Founder
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,857 Times in 889 Posts

Guys ffs - why have you hijacked my feedback (read what I wrote) thread with your tit for tat post's?

**goes to delete every single one as it is not the feed back I requested**

From here on keep on topic please - if unsure re read my post.
    MJJCommunity President Owner And Founder
    Making that change for Michael since 2001
    Loyal fan since 1978