Voting: Most influential pop-music-icon: Michael Jackson or Madonna?

To be honest, I can't name THAT many Madonna tunes, so I would have voted MJ had I not been as biased as I am

My favourite two, I'd say MJ is most influential though.

But Madonna has influenced every female pop artist from Swift to (obviously) Gaga.

Well, MJ influenced Madonna too, so...

True, but that's not to say the influencees can't become the influencers.

I think for example Michael obviously influenced Janet, but I think she had influence on him too (RN1814 had some influence on Dangerous) and he used Jam and Lewis on HIStory.

I think the big 1980s three ( MJ, Madonna and Prince) all influenced, challenged and motivated each other which, for the music fan, made for a magical time.

MJ by far. Never got the hype with Madonna tbh.
There's a Madonna fan, on a Madonna forum, right now, saying the same about MJ.

Agree with Mr R and Matty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theirs a Madonna fan, on a Madonna forum, right now, saying the same about MJ.

Agree with Mr R and Matty.

Well that's what makes being a music fan so great. Everyone has an opinion.

They both opened the door for, just not only many artists, but also a lot of people. Their influences went far beyond music.

This is one thing they have in common.

In my opinion, though, I think MJ influenced more music and the world than Madge.

When I see people singing "Heal the World" or "They don't Care About Us" in the aftermath of terrorists attacks and/or during BLM marches, for example, I am amazed how Michael made an impact on the music scene AND the world in general.

I think Michael is one of the only artists whom people, from all around the world, know and can sing more than 5 songs.

Last edited:
Madonna fans are going to say Madonna and MJ fans are gonna say MJ.

However, bias aside when you look at the big picture the answer is Michael.
Michael influenced and continues to influence people and artists/entertainers of all ages, races, and genders worldwide (years after his passing mind you).
He made an album, and short film that changed the entire music industry (and no one else has did anything as groundbreaking or big in the music industry since then).
He set the bar that every other artist/entertainer has been and still is trying to reach.
I don't think any other solo artist/entertainer was/is as globally influential as Michael.:)

No contest Michael Jackson hands down, not only was he a music visionary, but his videos were groundbreakers and revolutionary for the time. Madonna merely copied him to a lesser degree. Michael was in a league of his own. Michael was and still is a global icon, Madonna is not and never was.

I really like Madonna, and have all her albums, and she would beat most artists hand down and plus her influence on female artists can not be disputed. Madonna was the first independent woman in charge of her sexuality and she had followers. But Michael was something else.

IDK why us saying 'Of course MJ' has to make some others feel like we are appose to Madonna or her influence.. Yes she was/is influential but to compare the two is simply taking the impact Michael has made for granted..

Back