(For want of a better phrase) Britpop

Tony R

Proud Member
As you may have seen in the Top 10 albums thread, my other love apart from genius pop music (as in pop music that separates MJ & Madonna from Steps & S Club - although I do like A Deeper Shade of Blue & Don't Stop Movin', but I digress) is Britpop/Indie music.

Primarily influenced by my obession with Suede (best band of all time & best live band - as awarded by me), The Fratellis (not really Britpop but best umbrella for them I guess. They are unfortunately mainly known by adopted footie anthem Chelsea Dagger, but there is so much more intelligent rock & country influenced music behind them), Oasis (yes, mainly led by their first 2 albums), Blur and Pulp.

I could talk Suede all day on here....Saturday Night was our wedding song (remember Aaron?). Coming Up is the perfect pop/rock crossover album - Trash, Beautiful Ones, Lazy etc. But their darker work on previous albums Suede & Dog Man Star (We Are The Pigs, Animal Nitrate & Metal Mickey are some of the best songs of all time).

Live they are superb, I'm often found in the mosh pit with hands all over Brett Anderson (what a guy), just fully losing myself to it. They had a 10 year break after the dissapointing New Morning album in 2001 and came back triumphantly with Bloodsports a few years ago & then concept album Night-thoughts which came with an accompanying film before Beyonce had the idea!

Am I hallucinating but didn't a bunch of us reply to this thread yesterday?

Back