(For want of a better phrase) Britpop

Tony R

Proud Member
As you may have seen in the Top 10 albums thread, my other love apart from genius pop music (as in pop music that separates MJ & Madonna from Steps & S Club - although I do like A Deeper Shade of Blue & Don't Stop Movin', but I digress) is Britpop/Indie music.

Primarily influenced by my obession with Suede (best band of all time & best live band - as awarded by me), The Fratellis (not really Britpop but best umbrella for them I guess. They are unfortunately mainly known by adopted footie anthem Chelsea Dagger, but there is so much more intelligent rock & country influenced music behind them), Oasis (yes, mainly led by their first 2 albums), Blur and Pulp.

I could talk Suede all day on here....Saturday Night was our wedding song (remember Aaron?). Coming Up is the perfect pop/rock crossover album - Trash, Beautiful Ones, Lazy etc. But their darker work on previous albums Suede & Dog Man Star (We Are The Pigs, Animal Nitrate & Metal Mickey are some of the best songs of all time).

Live they are superb, I'm often found in the mosh pit with hands all over Brett Anderson (what a guy), just fully losing myself to it. They had a 10 year break after the dissapointing New Morning album in 2001 and came back triumphantly with Bloodsports a few years ago & then concept album Night-thoughts which came with an accompanying film before Beyonce had the idea!

Going to post 2 videos from The Fratellis & spin off project Codeine Velvet Club though for your enjoyment.

Jeez, I genuinely only know The Beautiful Ones by Suede. They are one band that have completely evaded me. I must give them a go on Spotify duirng the week, suggest an album? I remember Brett Anderson had the same haircut as Michael in You Are Not Alone around that time and I thought they looked similar.

Oasis were my britpop. They had me hooked from Whats the Story, and then I went back and got Definitely Maybe. Im a mahoosive fan of Be Here Now, porbably my 2nd favourite album. My Big Mouth, All Around The World, FAdin Out, Gettin Better Man, all unreal. D'ya Know What I Mean is some tune too. Oasis are still the measuring stick as far as the last great British bands. Artic Monkeys are as close as it comes for me, and theyre miles off.

I only know Chelsea Dagger and as a consequence of working in a bar when that song came out I loathe their existance. I genuinely thought they were a one hit wonder? I think I may have seen them live once by accident at a festival. I have no way of being sure. Ah, youth....

Jeez, I genuinely only know The Beautiful Ones by Suede. They are one band that have completely evaded me. I must give them a go on Spotify duirng the week, suggest an album? I remember Brett Anderson had the same haircut as Michael in You Are Not Alone around that time and I thought they looked similar.

Oasis were my britpop. They had me hooked from Whats the Story, and then I went back and got Definitely Maybe. Im a mahoosive fan of Be Here Now, porbably my 2nd favourite album. My Big Mouth, All Around The World, FAdin Out, Gettin Better Man, all unreal. D'ya Know What I Mean is some tune too. Oasis are still the measuring stick as far as the last great British bands. Artic Monkeys are as close as it comes for me, and theyre miles off.

I only know Chelsea Dagger and as a consequence of working in a bar when that song came out I loathe their existance. I genuinely thought they were a one hit wonder? I think I may have seen them live once by accident at a festival. I have no way of being sure. Ah, youth....

I normally suggest COming Up as in introduction to Suede album as it's their most optimistic, radio friendly album. But if you like some dirty guitars and downright get down tunes then search Animal Nitrate, Metal Mickey, Can't Get Enough, It Starts & Ends With You. Also made some beautiful ballads though e.g. The Wild Ones.

Oasis, I saw 6 times back in 94-96 including Knebworth. I was early 20s at the time & they fully got me into rick music I think, before that I was all MJ/Madonna or '80s rock such as Bon Jovi. I can't get into much past Be Here Now except the wonderful 'Importance of Being Idle'.

I probably should have chosen Definitely Maybe as my favourite Oasis album rather than Morning Glory to be honest.

Re: Fratellis - treat yourself & get Costello Music (the debut).

I normally suggest COming Up as in introduction to Suede album as it's their most optimistic, radio friendly album. But if you like some dirty guitars and downright get down tunes then search Animal Nitrate, Metal Mickey, Can't Get Enough, It Starts & Ends With You. Also made some beautiful ballads though e.g. The Wild Ones.

Oasis, I saw 6 times back in 94-96 including Knebworth. I was early 20s at the time & they fully got me into rick music I think, before that I was all MJ/Madonna or '80s rock such as Bon Jovi. I can't get into much past Be Here Now except the wonderful 'Importance of Being Idle'.

I probably should have chosen Definitely Maybe as my favourite Oasis album rather than Morning Glory to be honest.

Re: Fratellis - treat yourself & get Costello Music (the debut).
I saw the Don't Believe the Truth tour so I was glad to see them once, but to be honest the stuff Noel is churning out is better than the last few Oasis albums so Im not complaining. Cheers, I'll get onto that Suede album, and if a success, I'll be complaining to you next week when I cant find the first pressing mint copy.

I saw the Don't Believe the Truth tour so I was glad to see them once, but to be honest the stuff Noel is churning out is better than the last few Oasis albums so Im not complaining. Cheers, I'll get onto that Suede album, and if a success, I'll be complaining to you next week when I cant find the first pressing mint copy.

Should add, also, there's a couple of Hits collections which are nearly perfect.

The obvious one is Singles, but there's a more complete one with B sides etc, simply called The Best.

(great, now I've got Tina Turner as an earworm!)

Ha! I knew I'd get called out on it!!

Yes, that was rather a strange time for me. But I wouldn't defend Cocker for it.
As acclaimed as the man is, I know very little of his output post Common People. He's even worked with Scott Walker, who works with nobody

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

As acclaimed as the man is, I know very little of his output post Common People. He's even worked with Scott Walker, who works with nobody

Yes, his stuff with him was rather good.

Hey, if you like Scott Walker - have you checked out The Divine Comedy?

Yes, his stuff with him was rather good.

Hey, if you like Scott Walker - have you checked out The Divine Comedy?
I know a bit of them actually, I like Neil Hannons voice. I saw them years ago. The same year I saw the Fratellis I'd say as I have no recollection of them either.

I know a bit of them actually, I like Neil Hannons voice. I saw them years ago. The same year I saw the Fratellis I'd say as I have no recollection of them either.

Did you have a bang on the head that year! :)

Hannon's voice is in my Top male voices of all time.

Alongside...

MJ
George Michael
Freddie Mercury
Roy Orbison
Matt Bellamy

Im a massive Matt fan, but would you not say Thom Yorke is better? I hate the comparisons, but their voices are very similar. I'd be in the Matt boat I'd say, because of things like Showbiz, Ruled By Secrecy etc. But there's something about Thom's voice thats just a bit... smoother. The Tourist for example.

Im a massive Matt fan, but would you not say Thom Yorke is better? I hate the comparisons, but their voices are very similar. I'd be in the Matt boat I'd say, because of things like Showbiz, Ruled By Secrecy etc. But there's something about Thom's voice thats just a bit... smoother. The Tourist for example.

Hmmm...interesting. Thom is more haunting and always amazes me, where as Matt is pure stadium rock.

I guess I say Matt simple because I prefer more Muse stuff, but equally as good.

Was there some sort of revolution on here within the last 40 something hours? I clearly didn't get the memo!

Britpop was the last truly exciting time in pop music. Oasis were the catalysts, borrowing, copying and stealing form The Beatles, Lennon and T.Rex. They took that familiar motif from the 60's and tapped into a void in youth culture around the mid-90's where music and fashion became part of a movement. So many of us spent some time in the "sunSHEEINE!" They made me pick up a guitar and introduced me to The Beatles; I dug into my parents vinyl collection and Help was my absolute favourite album for an age. The Bootleg Beatles supported them when I first saw them at their absolute peak in 96, also The Prodigy.

My other 2 faves from that time are Pulp -Different Class and This Is Hardcore which came on the tail end of Britpop- and also -thanks to Tony R, the magnificent Suede, or to be a little more precise, their album Coming Up! Pulp's brilliant singles Common People and Disco 2000 brought with them an instant nostaligia and a relatable feeling to student life.

People today sort of snigger at Britpop as if it wasn't "all that" but I was there and it absolutely was for those of us who were fully wrapped up in it. So many people down the road were starting bands and getting the crew cut hair style.

Oasis: Morning Glory, Definitely Maybe & Be Here Now -in the order of my faves- and all of their singles from that time were brilliant, each single contained 4 tracks so essentially you were buying an EP everytime you bought an Oasis single! Also my VHS copy of the very brilliant There And Then which I wore the tape out and later re-bought on dvd. The tribute group No Way Sis appearing on Top Of The Pops.

I was Oasis and some of my school mates were Blur. I remember the battle between the 2 bands for the number 1 spot and the back and forth name calling. It was epic!

Be Here Now is actually a pretty good pop album. When the critics turned on them and snubbed the album Noel passed it of as their big cocaine blow-out album but Liam has always stood by it. It's got some great tunes.

Be Here Now is actually a pretty good pop album. When the critics turned on them and snubbed the album Noel passed it of as their big cocaine blow-out album but Liam has always stood by it. It's got some great tunes.
It's self indulgent, over the top and completely overblown. Hence the reason I absolutely love it.

It's self indulgent, over the top and completely overblown. Hence the reason I absolutely love it.
It's absolutely all of those things! Perhaps they pushed it a little bit too far but it signifies the end of an era for me. D'you Know What I Mean is one of their best ever!

I saw Supersonic last year and there was a hilarious live-via-satellite q&a with Liam and Bonehead afterwards. Funniest thing I ever saw. :lol:

It's absolutely all of those things! Perhaps they pushed it a little bit too far but it signifies the end of an era for me. D'you Know What I Mean is one of their best ever!

I saw Supersonic last year and there was a hilarious live-via-satellite q&a with Liam and Bonehead afterwards. Funniest thing I ever saw. :lol:
This is around the 6th reminder I've had about that. Will watch it this weekend.

It's rather good actually. Poignant and funny. Feed me back when you watch.

I've never seen it either. I really should. Like I say, I saw them about 6 times at their peak.

Maine Road was the best. Knebworth was a little flat as too big.

I've never seen it either. I really should. Like I say, I saw them about 6 times at their peak.

Maine Road was the best. Knebworth was a little flat as too big.
You saw them at Main Rd! Of course you did! YOU LPFDPFMFMFDP MCODMCODSPMCDOPM!! You make me sick!

Yeah, I had Knebworth on bootleg cd at the time and later watched a lot of it on youtube, it did seem very stagnant, their too far away and even at the best of times Oasis do little to nothing on stage, in comparison to Robbie, but of course you saw Robbie there too at his peak because your Tony!!

This new hangout music section has me very bitter towards some of ye. Namely those who have been to Maine Road gigs, saw Prince 60 times, and so on...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've only seen Prince the once myself. It was life-changing, but still.....just the once.

Why are we all hanging out here by the way? I can see it all ending in tears! :lol:

Back