Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

   
  1. #1
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    As you may have seen in the Top 10 albums thread, my other love apart from genius pop music (as in pop music that separates MJ & Madonna from Steps & S Club - although I do like A Deeper Shade of Blue & Don't Stop Movin', but I digress) is Britpop/Indie music.

    Primarily influenced by my obession with Suede (best band of all time & best live band - as awarded by me), The Fratellis (not really Britpop but best umbrella for them I guess. They are unfortunately mainly known by adopted footie anthem Chelsea Dagger, but there is so much more intelligent rock & country influenced music behind them), Oasis (yes, mainly led by their first 2 albums), Blur and Pulp.

    I could talk Suede all day on here....Saturday Night was our wedding song (remember Aaron?). Coming Up is the perfect pop/rock crossover album - Trash, Beautiful Ones, Lazy etc. But their darker work on previous albums Suede & Dog Man Star (We Are The Pigs, Animal Nitrate & Metal Mickey are some of the best songs of all time).

    Live they are superb, I'm often found in the mosh pit with hands all over Brett Anderson (what a guy), just fully losing myself to it. They had a 10 year break after the dissapointing New Morning album in 2001 and came back triumphantly with Bloodsports a few years ago & then concept album Night-thoughts which came with an accompanying film before Beyonce had the idea!

    Going to post 2 videos from The Fratellis & spin off project Codeine Velvet Club though for your enjoyment.




  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Points: 18,522, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    innuendo141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    18,522
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    2,401
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,500 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Jeez, I genuinely only know The Beautiful Ones by Suede. They are one band that have completely evaded me. I must give them a go on Spotify duirng the week, suggest an album? I remember Brett Anderson had the same haircut as Michael in You Are Not Alone around that time and I thought they looked similar.

    Oasis were my britpop. They had me hooked from Whats the Story, and then I went back and got Definitely Maybe. Im a mahoosive fan of Be Here Now, porbably my 2nd favourite album. My Big Mouth, All Around The World, FAdin Out, Gettin Better Man, all unreal. D'ya Know What I Mean is some tune too. Oasis are still the measuring stick as far as the last great British bands. Artic Monkeys are as close as it comes for me, and theyre miles off.

    I only know Chelsea Dagger and as a consequence of working in a bar when that song came out I loathe their existance. I genuinely thought they were a one hit wonder? I think I may have seen them live once by accident at a festival. I have no way of being sure. Ah, youth....

    No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

  4. #3
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    Jeez, I genuinely only know The Beautiful Ones by Suede. They are one band that have completely evaded me. I must give them a go on Spotify duirng the week, suggest an album? I remember Brett Anderson had the same haircut as Michael in You Are Not Alone around that time and I thought they looked similar.

    Oasis were my britpop. They had me hooked from Whats the Story, and then I went back and got Definitely Maybe. Im a mahoosive fan of Be Here Now, porbably my 2nd favourite album. My Big Mouth, All Around The World, FAdin Out, Gettin Better Man, all unreal. D'ya Know What I Mean is some tune too. Oasis are still the measuring stick as far as the last great British bands. Artic Monkeys are as close as it comes for me, and theyre miles off.

    I only know Chelsea Dagger and as a consequence of working in a bar when that song came out I loathe their existance. I genuinely thought they were a one hit wonder? I think I may have seen them live once by accident at a festival. I have no way of being sure. Ah, youth....
    I normally suggest COming Up as in introduction to Suede album as it's their most optimistic, radio friendly album. But if you like some dirty guitars and downright get down tunes then search Animal Nitrate, Metal Mickey, Can't Get Enough, It Starts & Ends With You. Also made some beautiful ballads though e.g. The Wild Ones.

    Oasis, I saw 6 times back in 94-96 including Knebworth. I was early 20s at the time & they fully got me into rick music I think, before that I was all MJ/Madonna or '80s rock such as Bon Jovi. I can't get into much past Be Here Now except the wonderful 'Importance of Being Idle'.

    I probably should have chosen Definitely Maybe as my favourite Oasis album rather than Morning Glory to be honest.

    Re: Fratellis - treat yourself & get Costello Music (the debut).

  5. #4
    Points: 18,522, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    innuendo141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    18,522
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    2,401
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,500 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    I normally suggest COming Up as in introduction to Suede album as it's their most optimistic, radio friendly album. But if you like some dirty guitars and downright get down tunes then search Animal Nitrate, Metal Mickey, Can't Get Enough, It Starts & Ends With You. Also made some beautiful ballads though e.g. The Wild Ones.

    Oasis, I saw 6 times back in 94-96 including Knebworth. I was early 20s at the time & they fully got me into rick music I think, before that I was all MJ/Madonna or '80s rock such as Bon Jovi. I can't get into much past Be Here Now except the wonderful 'Importance of Being Idle'.

    I probably should have chosen Definitely Maybe as my favourite Oasis album rather than Morning Glory to be honest.

    Re: Fratellis - treat yourself & get Costello Music (the debut).
    I saw the Don't Believe the Truth tour so I was glad to see them once, but to be honest the stuff Noel is churning out is better than the last few Oasis albums so Im not complaining. Cheers, I'll get onto that Suede album, and if a success, I'll be complaining to you next week when I cant find the first pressing mint copy.

    No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    I saw the Don't Believe the Truth tour so I was glad to see them once, but to be honest the stuff Noel is churning out is better than the last few Oasis albums so Im not complaining. Cheers, I'll get onto that Suede album, and if a success, I'll be complaining to you next week when I cant find the first pressing mint copy.
    Should add, also, there's a couple of Hits collections which are nearly perfect.

    The obvious one is Singles, but there's a more complete one with B sides etc, simply called The Best.

    (great, now I've got Tina Turner as an earworm!)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Points: 32,335, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,225
    Points
    32,335
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    561
    Thanked 3,519 Times in 991 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    What a terrible MJ fan you are Tony, liking Pulp.

  10. #7
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    What a terrible MJ fan you are Tony, liking Pulp.
    Ha! I knew I'd get called out on it!!

    Yes, that was rather a strange time for me. But I wouldn't defend Cocker for it.

  11. #8
    Points: 18,522, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    innuendo141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    18,522
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    2,401
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,500 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Ha! I knew I'd get called out on it!!

    Yes, that was rather a strange time for me. But I wouldn't defend Cocker for it.
    As acclaimed as the man is, I know very little of his output post Common People. He's even worked with Scott Walker, who works with nobody

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

    No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

  12. #9
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    As acclaimed as the man is, I know very little of his output post Common People. He's even worked with Scott Walker, who works with nobody
    Yes, his stuff with him was rather good.

    Hey, if you like Scott Walker - have you checked out The Divine Comedy?

  13. #10
    Points: 18,522, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    innuendo141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    18,522
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    2,401
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,500 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Yes, his stuff with him was rather good.

    Hey, if you like Scott Walker - have you checked out The Divine Comedy?
    I know a bit of them actually, I like Neil Hannons voice. I saw them years ago. The same year I saw the Fratellis I'd say as I have no recollection of them either.

    No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

  14. #11
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    I know a bit of them actually, I like Neil Hannons voice. I saw them years ago. The same year I saw the Fratellis I'd say as I have no recollection of them either.
    Did you have a bang on the head that year!

    Hannon's voice is in my Top male voices of all time.

    Alongside...

    MJ
    George Michael
    Freddie Mercury
    Roy Orbison
    Matt Bellamy

  15. #12
    Points: 18,522, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    innuendo141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    18,522
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    2,401
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,500 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Im a massive Matt fan, but would you not say Thom Yorke is better? I hate the comparisons, but their voices are very similar. I'd be in the Matt boat I'd say, because of things like Showbiz, Ruled By Secrecy etc. But there's something about Thom's voice thats just a bit... smoother. The Tourist for example.

    No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

  16. #13
    Points: 19,675, Level: 88
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Tony R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,945
    Points
    19,675
    Level
    88
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 1,022 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    Im a massive Matt fan, but would you not say Thom Yorke is better? I hate the comparisons, but their voices are very similar. I'd be in the Matt boat I'd say, because of things like Showbiz, Ruled By Secrecy etc. But there's something about Thom's voice thats just a bit... smoother. The Tourist for example.
    Hmmm...interesting. Thom is more haunting and always amazes me, where as Matt is pure stadium rock.

    I guess I say Matt simple because I prefer more Muse stuff, but equally as good.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Points: 7,719, Level: 58
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,335
    Points
    7,719
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    2,357
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 690 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Was there some sort of revolution on here within the last 40 something hours? I clearly didn't get the memo!

    Britpop was the last truly exciting time in pop music. Oasis were the catalysts, borrowing, copying and stealing form The Beatles, Lennon and T.Rex. They took that familiar motif from the 60's and tapped into a void in youth culture around the mid-90's where music and fashion became part of a movement. So many of us spent some time in the "sunSHEEINE!" They made me pick up a guitar and introduced me to The Beatles; I dug into my parents vinyl collection and Help was my absolute favourite album for an age. The Bootleg Beatles supported them when I first saw them at their absolute peak in 96, also The Prodigy.

    My other 2 faves from that time are Pulp -Different Class and This Is Hardcore which came on the tail end of Britpop- and also -thanks to Tony R, the magnificent Suede, or to be a little more precise, their album Coming Up! Pulp's brilliant singles Common People and Disco 2000 brought with them an instant nostaligia and a relatable feeling to student life.

    People today sort of snigger at Britpop as if it wasn't "all that" but I was there and it absolutely was for those of us who were fully wrapped up in it. So many people down the road were starting bands and getting the crew cut hair style.

    Oasis: Morning Glory, Definitely Maybe & Be Here Now -in the order of my faves- and all of their singles from that time were brilliant, each single contained 4 tracks so essentially you were buying an EP everytime you bought an Oasis single! Also my VHS copy of the very brilliant There And Then which I wore the tape out and later re-bought on dvd. The tribute group No Way Sis appearing on Top Of The Pops.

    I was Oasis and some of my school mates were Blur. I remember the battle between the 2 bands for the number 1 spot and the back and forth name calling. It was epic!

    Be Here Now is actually a pretty good pop album. When the critics turned on them and snubbed the album Noel passed it of as their big cocaine blow-out album but Liam has always stood by it. It's got some great tunes.

  19. #15
    Points: 18,522, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    innuendo141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clare, Ireland
    Posts
    3,485
    Points
    18,522
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    2,401
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,500 Posts

    Default Re: (For want of a better phrase) Britpop

    Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    Be Here Now is actually a pretty good pop album. When the critics turned on them and snubbed the album Noel passed it of as their big cocaine blow-out album but Liam has always stood by it. It's got some great tunes.
    It's self indulgent, over the top and completely overblown. Hence the reason I absolutely love it.

    No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •