Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the estate holding off on releasing posthumous material due to the Robson allegations?

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Are the estate holding off on releasing posthumous material due to the Robson allegations?

I have wondered this for a while now. Didn't Wade and his lawyers do a big smear campaign on the very week leading up to Xscape's release? It is clearly they will use any tactic they can to drag MJ's name through the mud to get their settlement, and I can't help but suspect that this is why we're not getting anything new at the moment.
    “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.”
    ~ * ~ Michael Jackson ~ * ~

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Are the estate holding off on releasing posthumous material due to the Robson allegations?

I highly doubt it.

I think the estate is holding off on publishing new material because they don't have anything finished and they are figuring out their next move. The interest in purchasing Michael Jackson music isn't as high as it was from 2009-2012 and to be honest, SO many people stream music now that re-releases dont make much practical sense.

Just my opinion though!

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Are the estate holding off on releasing posthumous material due to the Robson allegations?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
    I have wondered this for a while now. Didn't Wade and his lawyers do a big smear campaign on the very week leading up to Xscape's release? It is clearly they will use any tactic they can to drag MJ's name through the mud to get their settlement, and I can't help but suspect that this is why we're not getting anything new at the moment.

Yes there was a big smear campaign from Robson and his laywers around the time of Xscape's announcement and release. It was deliberate and part of a plan to hurt the MJ Estate's pockets and hopefully secure a settlement for them all. Obviously a settlement didn't happen and although I cannot prove it I would guess that at least some people would have been disuaded from buying Xscape based on the horrible stories doing the rounds in the media at the time. Of course those particular stories are no long gone (and forgotten by most people on the street) but given Finaldi's background and current tactic of releasing press statements whenever something happens in court I am 100% certain that the same negative campaign would happen again if the MJ Estate release some MJ product(s) in the next year or so....unless the MJ Estate launch a surprise Thriller campaign without prior warning. That would at least buy them some time before Finaldi could distribute his usual propoganda.

We know that John Landis worked on Thriller and so they're waiting to release that, but I don't know whether they're waiting for October '17 to come around or if they'll wait until after the case is closed. If so then maybe it'll be released in October '18. I'm not sure how that would work with the Sony contract though, which I believe is due to expire this year...I don't know if there are any penalties for not releasing all products within the agreed time frame, or if the MJ Estate would be able to negotiate an extension.

After typing the above I noticed that T25 was released in February '08 (when sales are traditionally low), so I guess the MJ Estate wouldn't necessarily need to release the new Thriller stuff around halloween, although it would make perfect sense to me if they did.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

SO many people stream music now that re-releases dont make much practical sense.
    That's not true (IMO). They have to give the public a reason to stream the re-release.

To be honest, we don't know for sure what the next project will be, but Branca has said a new album is not going to happen soon, so I guess it will be a Thriller re-release.

If the MJ Estate re-release the Thriller video in 3D or with an alternate ending, or in 4k (or all 3!) I believe people would stream it. They wouldn't necessarily decide to stick with the original version (stream that instead). I for one would stream a 4k version EVERY time if it were to be released.

Similarly if the MJ Estate released a remastered version of the Thriller album (and added extras) people would stream that too. Again if there were a higer quality version available, why would you stream the lower quality one? Granted extras are unlikely to be streamed more than a few times per listener unless they are genuinely fantastic (better to avoid discussing the abhorrent T25 reworked tracks).

For an artist of MJ's generation, the dominant format will be sales rather than streamin. For artists like Bieber or Beyonce gaining huge streaming points (and chart position boosts from them) is viable. Sadly MJ's future releases will always be handicapped on the charts because of the inclusion of streaming data and it's growing influence on chart positions. Most of his hardcore fan base are older and more likely to buy rather than stream. To increase his streaming points the MJ Estate need to attract the younger demographic and that'll be near impossible 8 years after he died. They could try releasing something with current stars to broaden the appeal of the release but then that may end up like T25 (and I said we wouldn't be discussing that, so I'll shut up)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,748 Times in 963 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paisleyCUTtop View Post
    I highly doubt it.

I think the estate is holding off on publishing new material because they don't have anything finished and they are figuring out their next move. The interest in purchasing Michael Jackson music isn't as high as it was from 2009-2012 and to be honest, SO many people stream music now that re-releases dont make much practical sense.

Just my opinion though!
    This. Sadly. I hope that doesn't mean no new releases at all, and I'm not referring to music. I'd be happy with even any concert in HD.
    Here for Michael. Only.

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,808 Times in 981 Posts

No-one knows these allegations apart from us.

Plus the re-releases/unreleased stuff is only for MJ fans & we don't care about that crap.

So, the answer is no.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

It's true that some people won't have read about the Robson/Safechuck allegations when they were widely covered by the media back in 2013/2014, and it's true that many people who knew about them at the time will have forgotten. After all Finaldi's most recent efforts to get press attention have largely failed, with the main coverage being in RadarOnline. But The trial is scheduled for early next year. I think releasing a product before this case goes to trial or is dismissed by the judge plays right into Finaldi/Robson/Safechuck's hands. Finaldi and Robson will start doing the rounds to promote their case in the mainstream media.

Hmmm, now I think about it there could well be a fair amount of dirt printed in the press either way (whether this case is dismissed or goes to trial). Both outcomes could actually damage profitibility, as could a settlement (which I would hope is out of the question). The MJ Estate is in a difficult position.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,321 Posts

I doubt it, they tend to be 'business as usual'.. No matter what goes on they give little to no attention to negative rumors/stories/things happening.. It takes a lot to even have them comment on these type things let alone make moves accordingly.. Sometimes acknowledging is bringing it to light.. IF the estate started make workings around drama surrounding Mikes legacy it would do 2 things. 1. Nothing would ever be released, sh** is always happening... 2. It would make more people aware of negative press on MJ.. most people right now are not really aware of what's going on.
    **He lives forever within us**

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I personally think that there way too many releases since 2009. And many of them have had their share of criticism.

Having said that the appetite for Vinyl is at it's biggest in 30 years (I think). But the only MJ Vinyl that's easily available is Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad.

Similarly there is a lack of MJ Blu Ray releases.

I think the Estate have been too preoccupied with CD releases and not much else.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krshna28 View Post
    I personally think that there way too many releases since 2009. And many of them have had their share of criticism.

Having said that the appetite for Vinyl is at it's biggest in 30 years (I think). But the only MJ Vinyl that's easily available is Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad.

Similarly there is a lack of MJ Blu Ray releases.

I think the Estate have been too preoccupied with CD releases and not much else.
    My local Sainsburys used to stock the Thriller vinyl but stopped stocking it when RadarOnline started their week long campaign against MJ in June last year (when they released false reports about what was found during the raids at Neverland and more). Even today that haven't brought them back into the store!

Blu Ray releases incur a cost if done properly and I don't think the MJ Estate want to pay out. I think the new thriller will be in HD as a minimum so we may have the opportunity to buy that, but all MJ's other short films (that include special effects) will cost significantly more to release on BluRay. That's if they were recorded on film and the estate can find the master film reels. I doubt the products would break even but I still hope they're released.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJTruth View Post
    My local Sainsburys used to stock the Thriller vinyl but stopped stocking it when RadarOnline started their week long campaign against MJ in June last year (when they released false reports about what was found during the raids at Neverland and more). Even today that haven't brought them back into the store!
    That's absolute rubbish. In no way would that be the reason why. No-one knows about this shite except us. If Sainsbury's stocked his records from 1993 onwards they wouldn't stop one release whilst still selling his other albums.

The reason is because they only have limited space for vinyl so rotate the offerings. For example since Bowie's passing more space is dedicated to him.

Not everything is a conspiracy!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,451 Times in 2,782 Posts

Spoken like a true Loiner😉

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elusive moonwalker View Post
    Spoken like a true Loiner��
    Ha! Just cos you abandoned us for warmer climes

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,321 Posts

I personally think they are holding release to hold out a while.. quality vs. quantity.. The rate music was coming out for a bit, they'd run out of quality pretty quick I'd assume.. It's better to hold out for a while.. Keep us waiting and create that demand.. I don't mind it for the legacy sake. There's plenty of footage they can fill in within that time though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Wade Robson allegations aren't even that big of news. Most people aren't even aware of it. Even me as a long time fan only just recently found out about it. The real reason is that their only so much unreleased music that's left in the vault. It's not an endless supply of music. And the estate want to release MJ stuff 20-30 years from now so they aren't going to release it all in the first few years of his death. They want MJ and his legacy to be relevant for a long time.