Michael wearing Mask's =)

Michael stated it was to block out the sun... ie vitiligo.. there are beliefs among many that believe there were more to it.. ie. built mystery and/or cover his face for various reasons.. tape on his nose, self conscious, not 'done up', covering cosmetic procedure evidence...

You can take a belief

He also said something about privacy didn't he?

I think it was mostly to create mystery and make the news. It sure made headlines in the begining, later on I think it backfired a little.

It could also be due to nose surgerie, guess we will never know.

I don't really believe the vitiligo story - he never went outside without an umbrealle, so I doubt that's the reason, but then again if MJ felt it was nessecary to protect the face even more from the sun it was up to him to decide. We have no way to ask him now...

He also said something about privacy didn't he?

I think it was mostly to create mystery and make the news. It sure made headlines in the begining, later on I think it backfired a little.

It could also be due to nose surgerie, guess we will never know.

I don't really believe the vitiligo story - he never went outside without an umbrealle, so I doubt that's the reason, but then again if MJ felt it was nessecary to protect the face even more from the sun it was up to him to decide. We have no way to ask him now...

Did we have a way of asking him before? I never had him on speed dial.

Speed demon dial maybe.

Anyway, mixture of the 'behaving differently' persona, surgery and lupus maybe.

It's not that important, unlike everyday grammar (there's no apostrophe in masks - it's a plural) ;)

I'll add into what I posted above, many believe he took it right out of Howard Hughes play book.. Howard Hughes was known to be a genius that became more and more recluse, also became a germaphobe that also would go out in public with surgical masks... Needless to say it is Michael-esk to use what the greats have done and create a mystique from it all..

I think he learned that in Japan, where many people on the streets wear such masks to protect themselfes from the flu, or if they have the flu themselfes to protect others. I think that might be one aspect, to not get sick during a multi-million-dollar world tour. Otherwise he probably also liked the masking in general, and made it one of his trademarks.

Did we have a way of asking him before? I never had him on speed dial.

Speed demon dial maybe.

Anyway, mixture of the 'behaving differently' persona, surgery and lupus maybe.

It's not that important, unlike everyday grammar (there's no apostrophe in masks - it's a plural) ;)

I don't know Tony, did we? Can you actually imagine what it would have been like if folks had him on speed dial. Or in today's terms - as a Facebook friend or on Twitter? I wonder what things people would ask (of) Michael and what answers they would expect of him.........

As far as the whole mask business is concerned, I put it mostly on his slightly exaggerated sense of cultivating unnecessary mystery. I can very well understand the need for privacy, but I think disguises and sunglasses accomplish that goal much more effectively. Wearing masks (and occasionally red ones) makes it a bit self-defeating if the purpose is to hide from people. But then again, the wearing of the mask made it much easier for decoys and lookalikes to play their part. In any case, I don't really see the need for it. I find that mingling with the crowd and hiding in plain sight are much more exciting, but that's just me :p

^^^^
Ahh, so actually there was a way to ask him before... :lol:

Nice to hear the answer from MJ himself. Aura of mystic sounds true IMO - MJ loved publicity and the mask sure was something people talked about.

Back