Unbreakble Appreciation thread

Rock with you33

Proud Member
What do you think of the song
Should it be a hit?
What do you think of the piano riff simple and basic or complicated (and adddicting)

I dont think it would have been the success a lot think it would have been, including Michael. In 2001 I think people just wanted to hear classic a classic Michael Jackson track, and not a song about how he's survived everything that happened to him.

Great song though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I like the song. Not my favorite though.

Is this just your opinion or you read somewhere that it sounds similar musically like a lot other Rodney productions back than?

I wouldn't have released it as lead single as it's too MJ by numbers as was YRMW to some degree.

I'd have released Whatever Happens as a song you would never think Michael Jackson could make, then follow up with a beauty like Butterflies before going into a more standard one like Unbreakable or YRMW or Butterflies.

I do like it though, probably don't play it enough.

I dont think it would have been the success a lot think it would have been, including Michael. In 2001 I think people just wanted to hear classic a classic Michael Jackson track, and not a song about how he's survived everything that happened to him.

Great song though.
Funnily enough, when I first heard YRMW on MTV -they walked around NYC with a tape recorder playing a sample of the track to people on the streets- thats exactly what I felt we were getting 'A classic Michael Jackson track. I suppose ultimately it's not an all out classic but I felt it had so much promise until the short film sort of failed to deliver, the shortend version -I call it the music video version- is without continuity in parts and the story just doesn't go anywhere or make any sense, even less so in that shortened edit, and it sets out with a promise of giving you something in the same league as Smooth Criminal which was a massive mistake on the directors/MJ's part. Even the cameo's of Brando, Michael Madsen, Billy Drago and Chris Tucker don't rescue it.

I love Unbreakable, great track, superb groove but it should have been mixed better; the levels on the synths and drum machine is too high. The layers in the back should be a little higher more in the fore of the overall mix for a little more brightness and warmth. I love the riff on the keyboard after he says "And you can't touch me, cause I'm untouchable"

First single? Not entirely sure although what was supposedly planned for the short film sounds like it could have been promising but no way was Sony going to approve another astronomical budget for it after the ridiculous money thrown at the album and Special Editions. OK, I'll shut up now about my gripes!

What do you mean the levels on the synths and drum machine is too high and The layers in the back ?

What do you think of the song
Should it be a hit?
What do you think of the piano riff simple and basic or complicated (and adddicting)

I love the song, and how it's lyrical content is pretty much calling out/mocking all of the people that talked shit about Michael and tried to ruin his reputation.:)

I suppose it it should be a hit, but then you have Butterflies, You Rock My World, Threatened, and Heartbreaker on the same album all of which I think might be a bit more deserving of hit status (especially You Rock My World because it has a really cool short film, that's kind of like Smooth Criminal part 2), but I'm a bit wishy washy on this TBH.:lol:

The piano riff is one of my absolute favorite parts of the song (it doesn't seem to be something I hear to often in songs), and I'm not sure if it's simple or complicated, but I'm leaning a bit more toward simple.
That piano riff plus Biggie's verse recycled from Can't Stop The Reign overall makes Unbreakable a certified bop in my book.:D

Last edited:
I'd like to hear a version of Unbreakable (and the track Invincible) with OTW/Thriller production values.

As in that riff played on a proper bass, proper drums etc. Think it would elevate it massively.

I read somewhere that MJ wanted to make a really cool music video for Unbreakable. He would be on top of a building where some thugs would push him off and as he is falling, he would turn into fire and do a really cool dance sequence. It makes me sad that those plans never really materialised. Instead we got a cringy and a cheap quality Smooth Criminal rip off video for You Rock My World.

I really like the YRMW video. Its not sensational, but I always enjoy it, cringe factor included

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I just wish Mikes vision of the unbreakable video came to fruition! RWMW, I can see why Sony pushed it, but I just would have liked to see Michaels vision come to life.. and also the obvious attempts to not get the best shots of his face (along with CGI) was just sad to me. Made me just think Michael must have been so very self conscious

Back