Don't stop till you get enough video

definitely an exploratory video with 'special effects' at the time..

A start, but the OTW -videos gave no indication of how Michael would revolutionize the music video scene with the short films that followed.

Nothing special, great costume though
The only special about it was that Michael Jackson at one point is shown in triplicate, a technique that was utilized for the first time for a music video.

And there is another interesting thing about that music video: one can say that in his solo, adult career, this was the only time that Michael Jackson seemed so happy during a music video.

The only special about it was that Michael Jackson at one point is shown in triplicate, a technique that was utilized for the first time for a music video.

And there is another interesting thing about that music video: one can say that in his solo, adult career, this was the only time that Michael Jackson seemed so happy during a music video.
It was more than that. Maybe I'm just a fan who appreciate his body of work. His first solo short film, the graphics for 1979 with marbles & etc shooting around...show me a video that matches it around that time. He matched the album cover with a new haircut. The 3 man scene IN 1979!!! UNHEARD OF! The fact that no blue screen leak of the original video has come out for everything else that's out there. No bts. No bts photos....hmmm typing this makes me now wonder WTF is all of that stuff today. We got rwy bts photos...no videos but photos.🤔 & on top of those 2 videos....cyfi came out 2yrs later & was mind blowing for the time being. Now me being a director...I would've had more of the jacksons in the video. I think it would've been up there with thriller so far as superior videos. But they're in the video for maybe 30-45sec....maybe a min Out of a almost 10min video. I think it would've been better had they at least sung the verses or something. Thriller showed more of mj... im getting off topic. But don't discredit dstyge. For it being in 79. Hell blame it on the boogie was cool af I'm sure back then as well! They don't seem like nothing today but back then it wasn't much to see except for live performances & not alot of ppl had vcrs or tvs back then. Most gathered up at thier families houses for videos & award shows

I'm sorry for the long post & getting off topic. It's Christmas eve & I've had a little to drink 🍸 🙃

It was more than that. Maybe I'm just a fan who appreciate his body of work. His first solo short film, the graphics for 1979 with marbles & etc shooting around...show me a video that matches it around that time. He matched the album cover with a new haircut. The 3 man scene IN 1979!!! UNHEARD OF! The fact that no blue screen leak of the original video has come out for everything else that's out there. No bts. No bts photos....hmmm typing this makes me now wonder WTF is all of that stuff today. We got rwy bts photos...no videos but photos.🤔 & on top of those 2 videos....cyfi came out 2yrs later & was mind blowing for the time being. Now me being a director...I would've had more of the jacksons in the video. I think it would've been up there with thriller so far as superior videos. But they're in the video for maybe 30-45sec....maybe a min Out of a almost 10min video. I think it would've been better had they at least sung the verses or something. Thriller showed more of mj... im getting off topic. But don't discredit dstyge. For it being in 79. Hell blame it on the boogie was cool af I'm sure back then as well! They don't seem like nothing today but back then it wasn't much to see except for live performances & not alot of ppl had vcrs or tvs back then. Most gathered up at thier families houses for videos & award shows

I'm sorry for the long post & getting off topic. It's Christmas eve & I've had a little to drink 🍸 🙃
If he had his brothers participate in that music video (by singing the verses, etc) that would not have been a good move for his solo, adult career (at that point).

Note that Michael Jackson wanted with his 'Off The Wall' album, and more specifically with his 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough' music video, to signal the start of his solo, adult career in an unmistakable and emphatic way.

If he had his brothers participate in that music video (by singing the verses, etc) that would not have been a good move for his solo, adult career (at that point).
I'm fckn done talking. I had no idea I was talking to you in the 1st place. Wasting my time bothering to even go there with you...NOT TODAY FRENZY! NOT TODAY!

It was more than that. Maybe I'm just a fan who appreciate his body of work. His first solo short film, the graphics for 1979 with marbles & etc shooting around...show me a video that matches it around that time.
oh man, you really got me thinking about 1979 and the videos we had back then. By 1980 videos were getting better and by 1981 there was a big leap forward, I would say, but 1979 was a real mixed bag. I never liked the vid for DSTYGE but then I never liked the song, either. I get on much better with them now, though. The song and especially the video are so much more interesting to me now. :)

He matched the album cover with a new haircut.
Looked so much better, imo.

The 3 man scene IN 1979!!! UNHEARD OF!
It is interesting. M did a video for 'Pop Muzik' which had a split screen in triplicate. It was very, very basic though, tbf. I don't know if they were the first to do it but that song was out in April 1979. Then in August you've got The Specials doing a vid for 'Gangsters' which had the screen split into 4 sections. They did a much better job than the M video. Visually looked like a really nice piece of graphic design.

What was different about Michael's vid is the whole way it's filmed and edited, it's so clever. I know you know this, btw, I'm just thinking out loud here, lol. They didn't go for the literal split screen thing but took it so much further than that. The whole thing is so beautifully conceived, choreographed and filmed. Bigger budget, better ideas, more talent. Awesome!

The thing that amazes me about DSTYGE is how the video hasn't dated. A lot of the videos (and tv appearances) from back then look exactly what they are - videos from 1979. I can enjoy watching them but they do look very much of their time. Michael's work never seems to date and I know this gets said often but it's so true. Blows my mind. How does he DO that? I know, I know, he's a genius but, even so, how does he do it? I will never know.

The fact that no blue screen leak of the original video has come out for everything else that's out there. No bts. No bts photos....
I don't understand any of this. :ROFLMAO:

But don't discredit dstyge. For it being in 79.
It wasn't that bad, mate! There was a decent amount of variety in the videos we had. They weren't dead slick or anything. Small budgets, everyone feeling their way, experimenting. But it wasn't dreadful, lol.

Hell blame it on the boogie was cool af I'm sure back then as well!
Erm ...

They don't seem like nothing today
I liked them! :D

but back then it wasn't much to see except for live performances & not alot of ppl had vcrs
very true.

or tvs back then.
er, yeah, we did. We did have tvs.

Most gathered up at thier families houses for videos & award shows
Mm, not really. Everyone had their own tv. It wasn't like the UK watching the Queen's coronation in 1953 when everyone did have to trek round to the one neighbour who had a tv. We had moved on a bit by 1979. :ROFLMAO:

The thing about not having VCR's - that's what made it so exciting. If you missed something you were f#cked. But if you caught something, man, the excitement! Off the chart!

:ROFLMAO:

I'm glad you did. I had a blast, going all nostalgic. It's funny about DSTYGE. I never liked the song and the video was way too stylised for my liking. I wanted more energy, more edge, more wildness. But I find it really interesting to watch now and get loads more out of it than I did before. So that's cool.

Back