Glenda tapes discussion

Re: 13.50 minutes In the Closet NEWLY RELEASED FOOTAGE

I don't think those Glenda tapes are real lol

Why? How do you think Glenda or anyone could create those tapes and would get not only
MJ's voice, speaking style right but all those details about his life at the time
(where he was, the tour, the rehearsals, the husband the daughter there are tapes with MJ and Megan Steain and MJ and Sam Stein too)

Last edited:

Maybe they are real, but to me it does not sound like Michael. And the distortion doesn't help. I'm not sure if it was put there intentionally or if it is because the tapes are old, but it does not help with determining their authenticity at all.

Maybe they are real, but to me it does not sound like Michael. And the distortion doesn't help. I'm not sure if it was put there intentionally or if it is because the tapes are old, but it does not help with determining their authenticity at all.

The way he talks like the overuse of the word "stuff" is quite revealing in and of itself.
Watch that interview in Encino where he walks out with a llama, he said
"stuff like that" the exact same way as he says it on these tapes. I don't think anyone could emulating him like that AND also
get all those details about his life at that time right as well.

I completely agree, sounds nothing like MJ's speaking voice to my ear and I've reviewed it several times now. The distortion on the tape as well just adds up to a big question mark for me and it will remain so until I see anything to convince me otherwise.

People saying 'its real' like the Cascio songs were LOL

This thread is for all discussion on the Glenda tapes and their authenticity.

Isn't it illegal to record phone conversations?

Last edited:
So the family that MJ is talking to does say on their end that these tapes are real. So we can rule it out that it's some fan made forgery or something. If these are fake then they were made up by the Stein family. But I don't believe in that. First of all, unlike the Cascio tracks, these tapes first came out while MJ was still alive. Second, these tapes are loooooong. Many, many hours of mainly mundane stuff. It would take an extraordinary amount of time and effort to make that all up. Also it isn't only two people talking on them. Mostly it is MJ and Glenda, but there are parts where it is Glenda's husband Sam or her daughter Megan who are talking to MJ. There is also a part where it is MJ's niece Brandi who picks up the phone and is talking to Glenda. All this to organize with several people participating in the scam (and not even the child "actors" who supposedly play Megan and Brandi sounding rehearsed) would take such a huge effort and for what exactly? It's not like there is anything really sensational or unbelievable on these tapes and it is not like this family had to make up an hours long tape to prove a relationship with MJ when they had photos.
----------------------------------------

Totally agree.it would be the most pointless and time consuming thing to make up. Totally illogical

I have also no doubt they are real. But there are some additional skripts from the conversation without existing tapes. These are fakes.

I believe the tapes that are on Youtube with audio are real. They sounds like Michael to me and I don't think there's anything there that's worth the trouble of faking.

let me address this claim of them being like the Cascio tracks. No, they aren't. I don't think the Cascio songs are real, but these tapes are IMO. It's totally MJ's speaking voice and the way he spoke.

So exactly like the reaction to the Cascio songs LOL! Everyone was coming out, like you are doing now, with 'oh it's totally MJ's singing voice' and as compelling an argument as that may be (LOL) it's simply not good enough and it was the only comparison I was making between the two situations. Your post earlier in this thread stated as a matter of fact that they were authentic whereas it is merely your opinion that they are. You cannot be surprised that something like that will provoke a reaction.

I have zero interest in the circumstances surrounding the Glenda tapes nor the content of them because I trust my own ear and it just doesn't sound like him to me. It's as simple and unsophisticated as that. You, and others, are reflecting on the content of the tapes to support or refute their authenticity but my conclusions are drawn solely from the sound of the voice on the tape and nothing to do with what's said. Of course the 'Michael voice' on these tapes is nowhere near as clear as it is on the Cascio songs so I await something of strong evidential value that may convince me that it's him - this is something I'd frankly never do for the Cascio songs as I have 0% doubt on those.

You act like my reply was only about my subjective opinion about what I hear when it was only two lines of my answer and then I went on to explain the objective circumstances that point to them being real.

My basis for comparison on the two situations was just fan reaction. You stated firstly as a matter of fact that the tapes were real, just as a LOT of people did in the wake of the Cascio songs. I wasn't making a wider comparison than that. You seemed keen to dispell that view before anyone expressed it.

If you want to have a well founded opinion on anything you will have to consider all circumstances and not just gut feelings

It's not a gut feeling. It doesn't sound anything like Michael Jackson to me. Audio itself is of far stronger evidential value, to me, than any second hand story or anything circumstantial. Hey you could well be right that it is him. If I thought it sounded like him at all I'd look into the full situation before arriving at my ultimate conclusion but when it straight off the blocks sounds nothing like him I'm not about to go any further. Let them submit a clearer tape and I'll give it another look, perhaps.

I think it's important to state one's point of view and not disrespect how other people arrive at theirs. We've all got to respect each other's opinions.

It is illegal to record someone without them knowing.. There are ways around getting in trouble though! If you have a statement from a person that individual knows, all liability goes on the person that gave permission. For example, someone could get a rec. statement from your partner to record you and if you are anry about it.. The person legally liable is your partner, not the person that rec. you...

I believe though the fact it was rec without permission is why we have not heard the full tape.. I'm not sure what laws are around clippings of recordings! if any loop holes

It never occured to me that they could be fake. It's Michael's voice, everything he talks about is logical, all the questions and answers make sense (meaning they do not sound edited), the way he pronounces certain words, his accent, the tone of his voice. Of course it's him.
Also, it would've taken great effort to edit such long conversations. And for what reason? So that it got leaked that he hated Listerine? LOL :D
It's not all dirty talk on those tapes. It's mainly normal, trivial stuff. Who would go to such lengths to fake it all?

How we subjectively hear things is very similar to a gut feeling though, especially when people hear different things when listening to the same thing - it is subjective and as such, due to its subjectivity its "evdiential value" actually isn't strong. That's why I consider additional info as well. That's not different to me in the case of the Cascio tracks - the difference is that the additional info points to a totally different direction in case of the Cascio tracks than in the case of the Glenda tapes.

I don't think I didn't respect your opinion. In fact, I gave you enough respect to explain my position in detail instead of LOLing and comparing it to the Cascio situation with a mocking tone.

You didn't need to explain your position. I respect(ed) your view and I did not challenge it. I almost never do that on here as I'm not interested in it - I'm too long in the tooth. I come here to share my opinion and hear other people's, not to attempt to show people how they are wrong or suggest their opinions are less valid than my own. I appreciate argument - respectful or otherwise - on forums IS what some people come here for but I have better things to do.

I LOL'd over one aspect - that you stated as a matter fact, and a little dismissively, that the tapes were real. It is merely your belief that they are, that was all I was trying to say and the ONLY comparison I was making between these two situations. I don't know how to be more clear than that.

How audio information sounds to one's ears may be similar to a gut feeling but that's not what you said initially. However strong that Cascio back-up story is/was would make no difference to me. I know what Michael Jackson sounds like and I know what Jason Malachi sounds like. Put it this way, if someone gave me an audio tape of a woman and some real strong story about how the person's voice on the tape was my mother's but it wasn't - the strength of the story would have no impact on me. I know my mother's voice. It's as simple as that, for me.

I hope we can move on now.

^ It would make no sense to be fake.. I mean, the homework to go into it vs. the outcome result would not pay off.. Why dig that much to re create an MJ conversation, bringing up people, moments, and various things that could be time stamped realistically.. The voice, the personality behind the voice.. All that for what?

^ It would make no sense to be fake.. I mean, the homework to go into it vs. the outcome result would not pay off.. Why dig that much to re create an MJ conversation, bringing up people, moments, and various things that could be time stamped realistically.. The voice, the personality behind the voice.. All that for what?

Who knows! I've listened to it a few times over the years and it just doesn't sound like him to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't even totally know the content of the conversations.

What a boring and consuming task to fake phone conversations specially when the Stein family are not cashing in those tapes or getting anything in return for being MJ's friends in one point in his life. In fact Glenda ajd Megan hate to be harassied or bothered.

The tapes were discovered in 2005 but neither MJ's people, nor MJ himself sued the Steins for recording him without his consent, neither they said those tapes were fake.

Guys remember mike didnt really talk with his deep voice in public often so it could be mike.,, i guess we will never know

I always assumed they were fake until a few years ago when I listened to them. It doesn't sound like Michael but the audio is awful. And the conversations are kinda mundane and boring, so that makes me think they're totally real.

(Glenda giggles a lot-sounds like she's got a crush. I'd be jealous if I were her husband too).

The one good thing about the tapes is that he said Latoya's book was true. And realized this conversation happened before she claimed Michael and Joe molested anybody. It made me go back and read her book and I enjoyed it.

So exactly like the reaction to the Cascio songs LOL! Everyone was coming out, like you are doing now, with 'oh it's totally MJ's singing voice' and as compelling an argument as that may be (LOL) it's simply not good enough and it was the only comparison I was making between the two situations. Your post earlier in this thread stated as a matter of fact that they were authentic whereas it is merely your opinion that they are. You cannot be surprised that something like that will provoke a reaction.

I wonder how many "skeptics" who are so convinced they can recognise MJ's voice anywhere would believe 2000 Watts was really him if it came out after his death.

I have zero interest in the circumstances surrounding the Glenda tapes nor the content of them because I trust my own ear and it just doesn't sound like him to me. It's as simple and unsophisticated as that. You, and others, are reflecting on the content of the tapes to support or refute their authenticity but my conclusions are drawn solely from the sound of the voice on the tape and nothing to do with what's said. Of course the 'Michael voice' on these tapes is nowhere near as clear as it is on the Cascio songs so I await something of strong evidential value that may convince me that it's him - this is something I'd frankly never do for the Cascio songs as I have 0% doubt on those.

What would be strong evidential value for you, considering you don't think the context or content of these tapes are relevant? We have pictures of Michael with the Stein family. We have the Stein family confirming these tapes are real. We have the tapes coming out in Michael's lifetime and Michael not denying them. We have the Stein family not trying to profit off these tapes or their association with Michael. And most importantly, we have common sense indicating these tapes are real because there is simply no logical explanation to fake them. If these tapes are not real, it means that three adults and three children conspired to get together to have a three-hour long conversation about mundane topics like Michael's tour itinerary, what Sam Stein got for father's day, a nearly 10-minute long conversation of a little girl talking about a movie she liked, etc. and then sit on those tapes for 10+ years before finally releasing them on a now-defunct website. If you're a hardcore skeptic you probably believe the Stein family's pictures with Michael are fake as well, so they'd have to find a way to photoshop Michael in using a picture of him that no one else has ever seen before. And if the pictures are not fake, then a family that actually knew Michael decided to fake three hours of conversation with him. All that effort for what?

If there were actually explosive revelations on these tapes or if the Stein family tried to profit off them, I would be a little more skeptical even if it does sound like Michael to me.

I also don't think it makes sense to base your opinion entirely on trusting your own ear, since the sound on a two decades old amateur recording may be a bit distorted. I've heard other phone conversations with Michael on YT and he sounds a little different each time, but still unquestionably Michael. Even disregarding the sound of his voice on the Glenda tapes, the mannerisms, the accent, the choice of words, the chuckles etc. is still obviously Michael to me. It's hard to fake that three hours long.

come on, if someone was going to make a fake tape, there is so much they could have done to make it easier.. all that pointless back and forth was obviously not scripted.. there was miscommunication, questions to clarify what the other meant.. All in which highlight tonality, personality etc. which when faking something, it's usually kept out intentionally to not give clues.. of course we also can't ignore pronunciations, speaking patterns/rhythms.. Than the way description is made, not just the fact it is descriptive it is the WAY Michael described things.. reluctant in specific parts, side notes to stories in specific instances that is very Michael..

^Much of which we were not introduced to on a deep level until after the fact.. How long have these tapes been around again?

I wonder how many "skeptics" who are so convinced they can recognise MJ's voice anywhere would believe 2000 Watts was really him if it came out after his death.

What would be strong evidential value for you, considering you don't think the context or content of these tapes are relevant? We have pictures of Michael with the Stein family. We have the Stein family confirming these tapes are real. We have the tapes coming out in Michael's lifetime and Michael not denying them. We have the Stein family not trying to profit off these tapes or their association with Michael. And most importantly, we have common sense indicating these tapes are real because there is simply no logical explanation to fake them. If these tapes are not real, it means that three adults and three children conspired to get together to have a three-hour long conversation about mundane topics like Michael's tour itinerary, what Sam Stein got for father's day, a nearly 10-minute long conversation of a little girl talking about a movie she liked, etc. and then sit on those tapes for 10+ years before finally releasing them on a now-defunct website. If you're a hardcore skeptic you probably believe the Stein family's pictures with Michael are fake as well, so they'd have to find a way to photoshop Michael in using a picture of him that no one else has ever seen before. And if the pictures are not fake, then a family that actually knew Michael decided to fake three hours of conversation with him. All that effort for what?

If there were actually explosive revelations on these tapes or if the Stein family tried to profit off them, I would be a little more skeptical even if it does sound like Michael to me.

I also don't think it makes sense to base your opinion entirely on trusting your own ear, since the sound on a two decades old amateur recording may be a bit distorted. I've heard other phone conversations with Michael on YT and he sounds a little different each time, but still unquestionably Michael. Even disregarding the sound of his voice on the Glenda tapes, the mannerisms, the accent, the choice of words, the chuckles etc. is still obviously Michael to me. It's hard to fake that three hours long.

Since you asked me a question directly, perhaps a clearer tape?

Since you asked me a question directly, perhaps a clearer tape?

And where would that come from? It's been over a decade since the original tapes were released, if they were available in better quality we would know about it by now. The Steins don't seem too interested in the attention generated from these tapes so even if they had more/better tapes, I don't see why they would feel compelled to release them.

On the tapes, Glenda and Sam both complain about static and mention that they have to get a new phone so that might be a reason for the subpar quality. And Michael was calling from abroad during most of the conversations so that might have something to do with it as well, esp. considering this was the early 90s. I don't quite understand why the quality is such a dealbreaker for you, though. We can still understand about 80% of what is said on the tape, we can make out the sound of Michael's voice, his tone, his accent and his mannerisms, even if it's not in the professional quality we're used to. To me it definitely sounds like Michael - if it's an impersonator then it's one of the best I've ever heard because most impersonators tend to overdo it with the soft, high pitch. That's not what Michael sounded like in real life.

You can believe whatever you want to believe though. You're just missing out on three hours of Michael recordings, that's all ;D

Last edited:
I really wanna discuss this because I came across it again & after years later....I still don't think it's him but the information is puzzling

Back