Each album's under-rated gem

Tony R

Proud Member
So I don't mean songs like Who Is It or Morphine, that get a lot of love inside the community rather than outside. But I mean songs that we rarely discuss.

For me, it's:

Off The Wall - Burn This Disco Out
Just yet another Rod Temperton funky piece of wonder and a perfect album closer for the album.

Thriller - Lady In My Life
Ok, it's hard to get an under-rated song from Thriller as I guess we've discussed them all to death, but this may well be MJ's sexiest song to date (is he saying 'I wanna give you one' near the end?). The full version released by Rod a few years ago brought even more joy & pleasure. I was also going to plump for 'The Girl Is Mine', as that doesn't get enough love

Bad - Speed Demon
I just typed & retyped Liberian Girl then came down on the side of Speed Demon, (actually now I've chosen that phrase, good job I didn't choose the other!). Speed Demon may be Bad's funkiest number. One of those MJ tracks that shouldn't work but it does. On paper it's nothing, but I reckon Mike just had that incessant hook in his head & just knew that it would work. Love the way it segues into LG also.

Dangerous - Keep The Faith
Or Gone Too Soon. Both are just brilliant. Although KTF suffers a little from it's synthesised 80s production (the only track on the album that is very similar to Bad), I adore the lyric, sentiment, melody & of course the vocal delivery. 'Dust of your butt & get your self-respect back'. Love it. Wish he'd have done a MITM/KTF live medley.

HIStory - Little Susie
Why don't you all love this? It's a masterpiece. Admittedly in these days of playlists, shuffle, streaming & instant gratification with music - a two and a half minute introduction can be hard to justify. But reward yourself by giving some time to it. I've written this about it before & I stand by it.
The sounds of a young girl opening a music box and singing along to the tune fill two minutes before the powerful chords of 'Sunrise Sunset' come in. You have been introduced to 'Little Susie'. Take a trip down her life as you hear a song different to anything Michael has done before. It is an ode to a girl killed by neglect. Hauntingly beautiful, lyrically & vocally, the song stands out as a masterclass in songwriting. I've spoken about Michael's diversity before but quite how an album can have songs as dissimilar as They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song and Little Susie on it make me shake my head in wonder.

Invincible - Whatever Happens
Okay, maybe not fully neglected by fans, I nearly went for You Are My Life as I like that also, but plumped for this.
The best Michael Jackson single that never was. Whatever Happens is a collaboration with Carlos Santana, two 8 times Grammy winners putting together a piece of genius. This is one of the tracks that would have torn up people's preconceptions of what a Michael Jackson song is. Just when they thought they heard everything he had to offer and the best was over, this song should have hit the airwaves. A Latin tinged R&B medium paced tune with little nods here and there to Jackson's previous work "He's working day & night", this could have started a new wave of hysteria. With a different song could have come an equally different video that was toned down, restrained by fabulous in its genius. Vocally it's awesome, like most Michael tracks, especially when he cuts loose at the end with the ad-libs.

I don't know if I'd consider Whatever Happens to be the most underrated song on Invincible, seeing as I've only ever seen very positive comments about the song from the fans over the years. This may sound like a bizarre choice, but I actually think YRMW is a bit underrated. I don't think it was the best choice for lead single, but it is a fine song and more than holds its own against similar groove-orientated, light hearted up-tempos on his past albums.

I nearly went for YRMW for the reasons you state. It's definitely in Top 5 on Invincible, once you remove THAT intro.

Actually, it's not as if MJ ever released the best lead singles from his albums (maybe except OTW).

TGIM - Thriller
IJCSLY - Bad
BoW - Dangerous
Scream - HIStory

There were all good reasons behind the choices , but for Invincible an MJ by numbers track wasn't what we needed. Having said that, a great groove though and yes, probably under-rated.

^ That's why like I say, for Invincible it had to be something completely different (sound like Monty Python!), and why I think Whatever Happens would have worked. In fact I wish it would have been included in Santana's Supernatural album and would have done similar to what Smooth did, then also included on Invincible it would have given it a massive boost.

Like I said there were great reasons behind the other choices, but those were in days when albums could be slow burners but by 2001 the first single had to be a hot otherwise the whole album would flop.

Off The Wall: Working Day & Night. I wish more people knew this song, aside of the "Dont Stop, Rock With You, Shes Out Of My Life" triangle that seem to make most compilations.

Thriller: Baby Be Mine. It's just sensual perfection. I like it more and more as time passes. When I hear it, I know that "Thriller, the album" has started, because again, it;s never on a compilation;.

Bad: Speed Demon. This song blows me away. The bass, the middle eighth, the bridge harmonies, content. Masterpiece.

Dangerous: Dangerous. This songs deserves to be known as one of the signature MJ songs, and I think it's forgotten from time to time.

HIStory: HIStory. I think the meaning of the song is lost in translation for some people, but it's probably the most experimental, complex songs he's ever written, with a confusing noisy verse and a gorgeous perfectly simple bridge and chrorus

Blood on the Dance Floor: Is It Scary. This song is Childhood's evil twin brother. If Childhood is his most personal favourite song, then Is It Scary is the one he didnt want to have to write, but equally as telling. And its a bloody brilliant brilliant song.

Invincible: This is a tough one because I feel there are songs that aren't worthy of even being called an under rated gem, but Invincible. I cant see why so many praise Heartbreaker and Unbreakable but I see Invincible doesnt get much love. Its my favourite of the 3.

Bonus songs: Someone in the Dark. Perfect gorgeous song. Its just utterly gorgeous.

Off The Wall - It's The Falling In Love
Thriller - Baby Be Mine
BAD - Speed Demon
Dangerous - Keep The Faith
HIStory - This Time Around
Blood On The Dance Floor - Is It Scary
Invincible - Don't Walk Away

Off The Wall: Working Day & Night. I wish more people knew this song, aside of the "Dont Stop, Rock With You, Shes Out Of My Life" triangle that seem to make most compilations.

Thriller: Baby Be Mine. It's just sensual perfection. I like it more and more as time passes. When I hear it, I know that "Thriller, the album" has started, because again, it;s never on a compilation;.

Bad: Speed Demon. This song blows me away. The bass, the middle eighth, the bridge harmonies, content. Masterpiece.

Dangerous: Dangerous. This songs deserves to be known as one of the signature MJ songs, and I think it's forgotten from time to time.

HIStory: HIStory. I think the meaning of the song is lost in translation for some people, but it's probably the most experimental, complex songs he's ever written, with a confusing noisy verse and a gorgeous perfectly simple bridge and chrorus

Blood on the Dance Floor: Is It Scary. This song is Childhood's evil twin brother. If Childhood is his most personal favourite song, then Is It Scary is the one he didnt want to have to write, but equally as telling. And its a bloody brilliant brilliant song.

Invincible: This is a tough one because I feel there are songs that aren't worthy of even being called an under rated gem, but Invincible. I cant see why so many praise Heartbreaker and Unbreakable but I see Invincible doesnt get much love. Its my favourite of the 3.

Bonus songs: Someone in the Dark. Perfect gorgeous song. Its just utterly gorgeous.

Good shout on 'Dangerous' title track. Blows me away every time also. I love the ending. By rights, it should benefit from finishing 30 seconds earlier, but I love every second of it. Like Matty & I have both said before the mechanical production perfectly represents the album cover.

I also like the Invincible title track & nearly plumped for that. Although the production is dodgy as is the rap, I love the bridge.

Now some way I'll have to prove all that I said I would do
Giving you everything, fulfilling your fantasy
Then maybe you'll change your mind and finally give in time
Then I'll be showing you what other men are su- pposed TO DO FOR YOU MY BAABBBYY!!

I also like the Invincible title track & nearly plumped for that. Although the production is dodgy as is the rap, I love the bridge.
I couldnt for the life of me recite a word of the rap, but all I know is it's chronic.

Oh God, definitely History the song. **** Little Susie (that sounded wrong), History is an absolute masterpiece and definitely the biggest underrated gem amongst his fanbase. In my eyes, it should be regarded by every fan as one of the top 3 songs on the album. If anyone says it's lower than top 5, then they need to be put to sleep.

HIStory is easily in my bottom 5 on said album.

Euthanise away mother****er.

I would like to say I'm shocked, but at this stage Tony, nothing you could say or do would shock me. I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Spoken like a true Dad!!

It's not that I don't like it. It's just too stop/starty for me so hard to get into.

I imagine if I played it again I'd probably surprise myself at how much I liked it. But it's no Earth Song, or Smile, or Little Susie, or Scream, or TDCAU, or SIM, or Tabloid Junkie or a few others.

Off The Wall: I Can't Help It- For me, MJ's best ballad. Michael sounds so pure and divine in this track. I would actually say this song isn't underrated. It's overlooked. No one even talks about it.

Thriller: Baby Be Mine- In an album filled with gems, this song often gets overlooked. But this song deserves it's place on the album.

Bad- Speed Demon- Always loved this song. I love the way MJ sings the bridge section. It's a nice fun song.

Dangerous- Gone Too Soon- Never understood why this song gets hate. It's a beautiful song with MJ delivering one of his finest vocal delivery. For me, it's one of Michael's best ballads.

HIStory- Little Susie- A beautiful and a haunting song that tells a dark story of a poor little girl who no one loved. I can't help but feel that Michael may be referring to himself a tiny little bit in this song.

Invincible- Don't Walk Away- Never understood the hate for this song. It's a beautiful song. Michael is probably referencing Lisa Marie and you can just feel the pain in his voice. I have always loved this song.

Oh God, definitely History the song. **** Little Susie (that sounded wrong), History is an absolute masterpiece and definitely the biggest underrated gem amongst his fanbase. In my eyes, it should be regarded by every fan as one of the top 3 songs on the album. If anyone says it's lower than top 5, then they need to be put to sleep.
Oh indoubitably. Check ma sig.

What I love about HIStory is that it's not a success story, it's not about how Michael won- it;s about trying. Its easily the most encouraging motivational song he has ever done. The verses are so powerful, talking about individuals, specific people. The chorus is universal.

Hell, even Tony Moran's mixes are unreal

Blood On The Dance Floor - Superfly Sister
Love the vintage 80s funk sound of this song.
I can hear exactly what this woukd have sounded like if Quincy produced it in 86/87 and I can see it beside Streetwalker.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What I love about HIStory is that it's not a success story, it's not about how Michael won- it;s about trying. Its easily the most encouraging motivational song he has ever done. The verses are so powerful, talking about individuals, specific people. The chorus is universal.

Hell, even Tony Moran's mixes are unreal

Yeah I've no problem with the sentiment & lyric. They're great. And don't get me wrong, like most MJ songs (PI) it's stil really good.Just not one of my faves and rarely played.

The remix was naff Eurotrash though, I won't change my opinion on that!

The remix was naff Eurotrash though, I won't change my opinion on that!
Funny enough, I got a few of the 90's singles on CD recently and I was listening to a lot of those remixes... And quite enjoyed them. WAY more than Xscape I may add. Quack.

Off The Wall - I Can't Help It. The vocals the groove, I mean Michael Jackson singing a song written by Stevie Wonder, need I say more.

Thriller - Lady In My Life. I love this track, it doesn't get enough love compared with the smash singles.MJ could steal your girl with these vocals, they're flawless.

Bad - Speed Demon. I totally agree, the funky James Brown style groove, a great hook and that bridge is so incredible, I love how unexpected it is.

Dangerous - Why You Wanna Trip On Me. The harmonies are straight from heaven and the lyrics are still relevant to this day.

HIStory - This Time Around. Love it when Mike has a point to prove and toughens his sound and Biggie's rap fits effortlessly.

Blood On The Dance Floor - Superfly Sister. Can you get more funky? Damn

Invincible - Whatever Happens. Completely agree next to Dangerous this is the best song not to be a single. MJ and Santana made such a polished smart track.

Bonus - Price Of Fame. It's a crime that this isn't appreciated more. I love it, it's so raw and honest. I just wished MJ would have finished it during the BAD era.

"No force of, no force of, no force of a YOU WANNA KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK KICK..." and so forth

History remix is brilliant. It's the only remix I like on BOTDF.

Off the Wall: It's the Falling in Love

Thriller: Baby Be Mine (hard to say it's underrrated, but I love it)

Bad: Just Good Friends

Dangerous: Why You Wanna Trip on Me

HIStory: Little Susie and 2 Bad

Invincible: Break of Dawn, Whatever Happens and The Lost Children (love this album)

Off the Wall - "I Can't Help It"
Simply one of the most atmospheric ballads in Michael's catalog. Everything, from the vocals to the production to the songwriting to the raw emotion, is expertly executed. I too wouldn't necessarily call it "underrated" in the grand scheme of it all, but I feel it's the one truly essential song on the album.

Thriller - "Baby Be Mine"/"The Lady in My Life"
Tie. The former is a melodic and groove masterclass, while the latter is supple and effortlessly seductive. I see praise for every Thriller song BUT these two, and that's blasphemy in my book!

Bad - "The Way You Make Me Feel"
This isn't underrated whatsoever, but I feel the need to praise this song whenever possible. I don't have a single fault with this song, and it ranks on every "Best Of" list I could possibly attempt to make. Simply divine.

Dangerous - "Jam"
If anything, this song deserves more credit for the best rap verse anywhere in Michael's catalog. Heavy D absolutely nails it!

HIStory - "Tabloid Junkie"
This one blew me away from day one. The harmonies are phenomenal, and the rhythm is infectious and irresistible.

Blood on the Dance Floor - "Is It Scary"
A masterpiece, plain and simple. Lyrically unrivaled by anything else in his catalog, vocally powerful, melodically intriguing, and atmospherically perfect. The final building moments ("I'm tired of being abused/You know, you're scaring me too") are beyond description.

Invincible - "Don't Walk Away"
Criticize me if you will, but I'd take this over "She's Out of My Life" any day of the week.

For me, it must be the following

Off the wall - It's the falling in love, a nice ballad and some good singing, pleasing melody and the female singer seems in key with Michael. It is a commnading use of his deeper adult vocal in the refrains too. Michael like Prince back at this time, knew that your albums had to have some cuts without the falsetto.

Thriller - Lady in my life - I agree totally with everyone else's comment, this is a superb and very sincere ballad. And I love the "Don't you go nowhere, I need your love tonight" bit too.

Bad - Just Good Friends - I have always loved this song, yet quite a few people don't like it. It is a very pleasing ballad, and Stevie is always good. Michael adds enough hee hees and aows to keep it interesting. Okay Smooth Criminal and TWYMMF its not, but it is hardly a pile of doo doo either.

Dangerous - Gone too soon - Used to not like this, but listening to this its very well written, heartfelt and Michael is putting all his emotion in here, ironically it was one fo the first songs I reached for when Prince died! Some of the lines "Here one day, gone one night" are really emotional.

History - Hard to choose something, here as we encounter real filler for a first time. I will go with This time around - good beat, singing and nice melody. Never meant to be more than an album track though, misses the hit punch to be a single.

BODF - I don't like the remixes much, but of the 5 songs, Superfly sister needs more love, its not bad and has a good melody and has a more positive upbeat feel rather than the angrier sound of BODF, Morphine and spooky excellence of Ghosts and Is it scary. Almost does not fit here.

Invincible - Speechless - this is heartfelt singing and yet it is overlooked and overshadowed by the superior Break of Dawn, this is still good enough.

Off the Wall - "It's The Falling In Love"

Thriller - "Baby Be Mine"

Bad - "Libirian Girl"

Dangerous - "Keep The Faith"

HIStory - "Money" - or "History"

Blood on the Dance Floor - "Is It Scary"

Invincible - "Lost Children"

I'm very tempted to add that Another Part Of Me may be the best song on Bad.

In fact, I'm going to say it.

Another Part Of Me is the best song on Bad.

Second best after Man In The Mirror.

It's my favourite along with Smooth Criminal

Back