How would you describe Michael's faith and belief?

maja

Proud Member
Hi everyone :flowers:

I've been reading and re-reading some books on MJ lately and that's something that I've been thinking about for a while now.

How would you describe Michael's faith? (as far as we know about it)

I know he separated from the Jehovah's Witnesses, but he still very much believed in God (remember the pictures of Blanket's christening; also, he always mentioned that he thanked God for the gift he gave him, he mentioned Jesus etc.) , so he must've valued Christianity a lot nevertheless.

Then there's the rabbi tapes where he finds aspects of Judaism interesting and he attended prayers in synagogs and spent the Shabbat together with Boteach's family etc.

But there's also Deepak Chopra, so there's Hinduism (or Spiritualism?) as well.

And what about his love for nature? I was always wondering whether there's a religious/philosophical term for it. To me it seems that he saw God in every plant and tree etc. Is there a term for it, like a religious, spiritual oder philosophical movement? I would love to know because I feel much the same about nature.

And did he really engage in Islam? I know that there were vast rumous that he converted to Islam but there's no proof, right?
I can't remember him saying anything with regards to Islam, can you?

It seems that his belief was a sort of conglomerate of various ideologies, religious and philosophical movements. But the core of his belief was Christianity. Would you agree?

I know this is something personal and I hope this thread is okay. I don't want to speculate about Michael's faith, I'd just like to hear your opinion based on the things we know and the things he said. I find his view of the world so fascinating because it invites everybody in and leaves no one out. :wub::flowers:

He was a Jeavoah Witness till 87 and then left. I think from that point on till his death, he didn't follow any religion but he did believe in God forever. So he was a theist but didn't follow any religion. I do believe that he always had a keen interest in religion, spirituality and philosophy.

Last edited:
He believed in a higher power.... It seems he kept much of a biblical belief, but with his experiences, constant reading, and studying his mind opened/questioned and freed from many of the traps religion had on him.

Yeah and that's what I like so much about him. I mean, believing in something is completely personal and even though I might not necessarily understand/support everything he believed in, there's still so much in it that unites people and highlights the good things, you know. I so love his approach.

How would you describe that love of nature, though? Is there a proper term for it? I'd so love to read more about it.
Seeing the divine (whether you call it God or something else) in everything nature creates is so lovely I think.

Some 10 years ago or so I wasn't aware that he was so deeply religious to be honest, but from what I've read in the last years, I think he really was and I'm glad he found some peace and grounding there as well, apart from his children and music etc.
Maybe that's also because I'm older myself and I see things differently now.

I don't know about you, but he really shaped my life and the way I think about nature and saving this planet etc. What a wonderful gift. :wub:

We all know that he's a devout Jehovah's Witness for years yes until 1987 he quits because the elders trying to stifle his work and his dance moves again and again. He stays closer to God and believes in the studies from the bible and loves to do what Jesus does. He does love to study religion and experimented himself to what it's like, like for example he tried what Judism is like when Rabbi Shmuley invited him and he never wanted to be converted as I know. But as far as I believe that he's very much closer to God, has Christian values, loves life and he does really respect other religions bar none. That's class.

That's class.
Oh yes! He was such a role model in that way!

Does anyone know whether the rabbi ever plans to fully release the audio material for the tapes? Would be so interesting to actually hear him say these things as tone of voice etc. are so important when making a statement.

How would you describe that love of nature, though? Is there a proper term for it? I'd so love to read more about it.
Seeing the divine (whether you call it God or something else) in everything nature creates is so lovely I think.

That what you probably mean is called pantheism.

That what you probably mean is called pantheism.

YES! That's it! Thanks a lot! :) I knew there was a term for it ;) (y)

I think that, in a way, this was his approach as well. Not necessarily that God is 'only' nature itself (because he also believed in Jesus etc.) but that everything in nature has God in them. Like when he said "when I see the face of a child, I see the face of God." Or when he called 'mother earth' "she".

I just found this article which I think is an interesting read: http://www.innermichael.com/2012/02/21/a-pantheist/

Karen Faye said that Michael did not celebrate his own birthday. So I'd say he still followed the teachings of the Holy Bible.

The thing with nature is that God created all things. If you truly want to know the intelligence of God, then study his creations. It's that simple. Michael did read the Bible everyday. He wasn't into the trinity, so he was separate from that agenda. He spoke of the innocence of children and how even Jesus was drawn to that and used this as an example for his disciples to follow. Michael was close to his Mother and she would have continued to talk to Michael what she was learning at the Kingdom Hall. Jehovah's Witnesses do preach to the ends of the earth the good news of God's coming Kingdom!

Why Michael left the organization in 1987, was because of the gun issue. "Smooth Criminal" was the short film that Michael was shooting and the elder's did not approve of this action, the use of a firearm.

He wasn't into the trinity, so he was separate from that agenda.
Really? Where did he say that? :)

Why Michael left the organization in 1987, was because of the gun issue. "Smooth Criminal" was the short film that Michael was shooting and the elder's did not approve of this action, the use of a firearm.
I thought it was b/c of Thriller and b/c of the crotch grabbing? I remember him saying that somewhere.. hm..

Oh, I also love the fact that he didn't believe in damnation and that e.g. children dying is somehow God's revenge for something. He said that in the Rabbi Tapes.

He left the JW doctrine behind after many conflicts they had during his early adulthood. First it was the statement for the "Thriller" video, which Michael didn't even write. Then it was about his dance style, and finally it was him playing a gangster for "Smooth Criminal" (it seems JWs aren't allowed to carry weapons). Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he tolerated them mainly for his mother, who remains a devout JW to this day.

Back on topic, I think he kept an interest in many different faiths, but he did show reverence to God and Jesus. My main prayer for years is that he received Jesus personally through repentance, because the way he loved people and was condemned by so many others really paralleled Jesus' earthly ministry to me. I don't worship Michael, but as a Christian it pains me to think of him (or most anyone else) in such a horrible place as hell. None of us can know what he truly believed in the end, but my hope is he's with Jesus now...maybe even singing in a heavenly choir.

Moviefan2k4;4189991 said:
He left the JW doctrine behind after many conflicts they had during his early adulthood. First it was the statement for the "Thriller" video, which Michael didn't even write. Then it was about his dance style, and finally it was him playing a gangster for "Smooth Criminal" (it seems JWs aren't allowed to carry weapons). Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he tolerated them mainly for his mother, who remains a devout JW to this day.

It was also because of the large use of the make-up in his ‘Thriller’ video.

Jehovah's Witnesses’ leaders do not approve at all the extensive use of make-up, even if it is used exclusively for artistic purposes (such as, music videos, theatrical shows).

When MJ released his ‘Thriller’ video, Jehovah's Witnesses’ leaders were vehemently against that. They even released statements strongly condemning that behavior.

I suppose if he remained a Jehovah's Witness, then he would have never fulfilled his dreams with his ‘Ghosts’ short film (due to the necessary large use of make-up again).

But, artists are artists & they are not expected to chafe at limitations posed by certain religions. So, I think that he did the right thing by gradually distancing himself from them.

He definitely had links with Freemasonary. The signs are there.....just Google it :)

mo_rizwon... You're so "woke"... lol!

He must have been a Nazi too with that arm band...

The whole thing bout the thiller video was not just bout the jevoah witness elders it was mrs jackson view of it being "the devils work" aka michael being a zombie , werewolf and like many other said he did the disclamier cuz of that whole situation.

Now with the whole islam thing i think that is totally jermaine's wishful thinking that he "converted " mj into islam

Back