Dear Michael ? =).

I listened to this song for the first time in many years awhile back-and it made me laugh. Berry Gordy was shameless-leading all those sweet little fans on-thinking it was their letter he was singing about.

Kim

I heard the Kim Fields version 1st, because it was played on the radio when it came out. I wasn't aware it was a remake until a few years later.

I remember Kim Fields version too. :)
Here's an interview she did on American Bandstand after performing the song. This is posted by Dick Clark's company, but the actual performance clip is not on Youtube.
I remember there was an episode of Facts Of Life where Tootie had a fit because she couldn't go to a Jermaine Jackson concert. :D

Re: 1984

Here's an interview she did on American Bandstand after performing the song. This is posted by Dick Clark's company, but the actual performance clip is not on Youtube.
I remember there was an episode of Facts Of Life where Tootie had a fit because she couldn't go to a Jermaine Jackson concert. :D

:happy: Thanks Duran!

No, but you can find it of her singing it tho.

Oh yep! I remember that episode too. His fan club? She got to talk to him in his dressing room?

Oh yep! I remember that episode too. His fan club? She got to talk to him in his dressing room?
Another Jackson connection is that Kim, Janet, & Gary Coleman all appeared on Good Times & Diff'rent Strokes. Kim's real life mother Chip Fields played the mother of Janet's character Penny on Good Times. Todd Bridges (from Diff'rent Strokes) real mother played a model posing for one of J.J.'s paintings on an episode of Good Times too. An indirect connection is that Chip Fields also played on What's Happening!!! as Rerun's sister. The mother of Roger & Dee on that show (Mabel King) was Evillene in The Wiz movie.

Another Jackson connection is that Kim, Janet, & Gary Coleman all appeared on Good Times & Diff'rent Strokes. Kim's real life mother Chip Fields played the mother of Janet's character Penny on Good Times. Todd Bridges (from Diff'rent Strokes) real mother played a model posing for one of J.J.'s paintings on an episode of Good Times too. An indirect connection is that Chip Fields also played on What's Happening!!! as Rerun's sister. The mother of Roger & Dee on that show (Mabel King) was Evillene in The Wiz movie.

Oh yes. I actually do know that. And thanks for the reminder.
Did you also know that Chip Fields played Kims' (Regine Hunter) mother on "Living Single"? :D

Oh yes. I actually do know that. And thanks for the reminder.
Did you also know that Chip Fields played Kims' (Regine Hunter) mother on "Living Single"? :D
I didn't know that, but I didn't watch that show regularly. I saw it occasionally though. Another Kevin Bacon style "degrees of separation" is Dorothy's aunt in The Wiz was on the 1970s sitcom That's My Mama, playing the mother of Clifton Davis' character on the show. Clifton wrote a few Jackson 5 songs, including Never Can Say Goodbye.

So Chip Fields was the mother with the iron?!!!

I never saw 'What's Happening' back in the day, but I caught an episode recently on TV One, and I kept thinking where have I seen the mother before? Where? Thanks, Duran!!! From the Wiz-can't believe I didn't connect it.

So Chip Fields was the mother with the iron?!!!
That's her. She played a different character on one episode from a pre-Janet season, I think as a date of J.J.'s.
I never saw 'What's Happening' back in the day, but I caught an episode recently on TV One, and I kept thinking where have I seen the mother before? Where? Thanks, Duran!!! From the Wiz-can't believe I didn't connect it.
You must have seen a behind the scenes, because she didn't have her real face as Evillene in the movie.

That's her. She played a different character on one episode from a pre-Janet season, I think as a date of J.J.'s.

You must have seen a behind the scenes, because she didn't have her real face as Evillene in the movie.
I did-but it was back in 78-and I've never seen it again. You made me feel a little better, tho-because usually I figure out where I've seen people before.

I didn't know that, but I didn't watch that show regularly. I saw it occasionally though. Another Kevin Bacon style "degrees of separation" is Dorothy's aunt in The Wiz was on the 1970s sitcom That's My Mama, playing the mother of Clifton Davis' character on the show. Clifton wrote a few Jackson 5 songs, including Never Can Say Goodbye.
Right again! ;) :D

Yes! Aunt Em. :)

Clifton's TV mom was Theresa Merritt.

Have you ever heard David Ruffin's version of Who's Lovin' You?

Sorry for going o/t. :cheeky:

Last edited:

Have you ever heard David Ruffin's version of Who's Lovin' You?
I've heard The Temptations version, but not David solo. I have the Terence Trent D'Arby version too. Do you know the band Lakeside? Their main lead singer Mark Wood sounds a little like Ruffin on some songs.

I've heard The Temptations version, but not David solo. I have the Terence Trent D'Arby version too. Do you know the band Lakeside? Their main lead singer Mark Wood sounds a little like Ruffin on some songs.

Yes I do. I would have to listen again tho to make the comparison. (Wooo! Fantastic Voyage!)

Terence's take on the tune, Who's Lovin' You is cool but I dont like it as much. BUT! I really like HIS song, Wishing Well.

TTD's version is great, from one of the best debut album's of all time.

It came out just as I was discovering J5's version (through the Moonwalker anthology). Think 'Introducing The Hardline' was late 1987.

Who's Lovin' You

TTD's version is great, from one of the best debut album's of all time.

It came out just as I was discovering J5's version (through the Moonwalker anthology). Think 'Introducing The Hardline' was late 1987.
They didn't do the entire song, but I like the version En Vogue used as an intro to Hold On. The J5 version was re-released as a single when the American Dream miniseries came out in 1992. The single had the studio & live versions. It made it to #48 on the R&B chart in Billboard.
tumblr_oo0vmt5uXw1rw606ko1_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oo0vmt5uXw1rw606ko1_r3_1280.jpg

Kim Fields was on the Sherri Shepherd Show yesterday and Sherri asked her about Dear Michael. It's around 19:45 of this video. If anyone is interested, they were also talking about Janet right before this. Kim & Janet had been on both Good Times & Diff'rent Strokes, and Gary Coleman was on both shows too. Kim & Gary's characters rode the school bus with Janet's character on Good Times. The Facts Of Life was a spinoff from Diff'rent Strokes and Jermaine Jackson was a guest star on one episode. Kim had also been at the recording of Mike's P.Y.T. There's a photo of it somewhere in the family photo thread in the 2300 Jackson Street section.

P.Y.T. recording session
9b2cd94f44d6795b50043068abd380096ba485f9.jpg

Janet Jackson, LaToya Jackson, Mindy Cohn, Kim Fields, Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson, James Ingram

Kim Fields: wbw honoring James Ingram. This is from the recording of Michael Jackson’s PYT, James wrote w/ Quincy Jones. Janet Jackson invited Mindy Cohn & I to the session. As I said after hearing of James’s passing I have a small collection of memories of him & his fam. This is the 1st 1

Mindy Cohn: Me and Janet. And I’m the kids at the end, too. We went to listen to the record and Quincy Jones put us on the mic. Have to post the pic on Instagram of the session … It’s kinda wild!

Janet Jackson: It happened in the early ’80s. I was 16 and in between my first two records. Michael was recording [1982’s] Thriller. He invited me to the studio where he was about to sing “P.Y.T.” and asked me to help out on background vocals. Since we had been singing together forever, I knew it’d be easy. I jumped at the chance. I loved being one of the P.Y.T.’s and was especially proud — I hope this doesn’t sound like bragging — that when the record was mixed, my single background voice was the one featured. I can’t tell you how good that made me feel.

Back