How great does Michael sound on vinyl

kevin_1990

Proud Member
Michael on vinyl discussing

I just bought my first ever record player delivered today been playing one of my favorite bands/artist vinyl's today and i'm loving it i have never owned any of Michael's music on vinyl though probably because i never had a record player i started collecting my favorite bands vinyl's as they were limted anyway cut a long story short this weekend i decided to order a record player and get them played i ordered off ebay Bad and Dangerous on vinyl they should be here on tuesday.

Last edited:
You will love it. I miss, to this day, miss my parents' console stereo. They, and later I, used to just stack the albums up and let them play all day and night-I stupidly gave it away and bought a small stereo system around the time BAD came out, because my downstairs neighbors kept complaining about the bass. Stupid move on my part.

You will love it. I miss, to this day, miss my parents' console stereo. They, and later I, used to just stack the albums up and let them play all day and night-I stupidly gave it away and bought a small stereo system around the time BAD came out, because my downstairs neighbors kept complaining about the bass. Stupid move on my part.

That's what happend CD was the future now its near enough gone and vinyl is still going strong and getting popular again. I asked the guy on eBay if they were original vinyl from the release date and he said yes they have been stored in a secure place for years. he said about Dangerous sleeve is in very good condition. Records play ok, there is some background noise. They are not perfect, if anything I am being over critical. and he said about BaD sleeve is in good order, the inner sleeve is a little loose at the bottom. The sound quality is excellent, with the exception of 1st track ( Bad ) which does have a little background noise.

A record just looks so much better than a CD too. The feel of it. It's something to marvel at.

I went exclusively vinyl a few years back and won't be going back to CD.

It's all down to personal preference, I collect both CD and Vinyl. It isn't really a case of it just magically sounding better because it's on vinyl, pressing differ for both vinyl and CD.

PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME - Your new record player is not a CROSLEY! You know those retro looking suitcase things. These players are cheap plastic rubbish and they will wreck your records, your MJ Vinyl will be unplayable after 10 listens. These players cost about $80 - $100 and are almost all plastic parts with no tone arm adjustment. Also they have shitty speakers, no pre amp and a turntable only 8inches, so 12 inch records hang offthe side.

Also any other record player with plastic arm and parts, with words like "USB capable, play your old vinyl records"

I just got suspicious, as your handle says 1990, indicating you are possibly young and therefore in the catchment group for CROSLEY products. If your player is a Crosley or similar make, take it back and get your money back and buy a real turntable.

mjprince1976;4190481 said:
PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME - Your new record player is not a CROSLEY! You know those retro looking suitcase things. These players are cheap plastic rubbish and they will wreck your records, your MJ Vinyl will be unplayable after 10 listens. These players cost about $80 - $100 and are almost all plastic parts with no tone arm adjustment. Also they have shitty speakers, no pre amp and a turntable only 8inches, so 12 inch records hang offthe side.

Also any other record player with plastic arm and parts, with words like "USB capable, play your old vinyl records"

I just got suspicious, as your handle says 1990, indicating you are possibly young and therefore in the catchment group for CROSLEY products. If your player is a Crosley or similar make, take it back and get your money back and buy a real turntable.

[video=youtube;_WzrK6CIZrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WzrK6CIZrY[/video]

It nearly was mate lol it nearly was! It was not a CROSLEY but it was a suitcase one i had it ordered and paid for then i came across this guys video then i smartly canceled the order and went for one of the record players he recommended i got a audio technica lp60 it was worth spending that extra £34 so my records don't get destroyed.

your right mate i am young and this guy saved me from making that mistake Michael Jackson records should be here tomorrow!

A small question when i am not using my record player should i turn it off at the wall or does it not matter ?

Last edited:
Yeah, crosleys will probably ruin your records over time. They have way too much tracking force and you can't adjust it at all.

Thank goodness

It is a decent turntable, aluminium, and a large mat. Have fun.

But everyone else, remember, that Crosleys are bad!

kevin_1990;4190552 said:
It nearly was mate lol it nearly was! It was not a CROSLEY but it was a suitcase one i had it ordered and paid for then i came across this guys video then i smartly canceled the order and went for one of the record players he recommended i got a audio technica lp60 it was worth spending that extra £34 so my records don't get destroyed.

your right mate i am young and this guy saved me from making that mistake Michael Jackson records should be here tomorrow!

A small question when i am not using my record player should i turn it off at the wall or does it not matter ?

Best to keep it uplugged when not in use, and that means turned off at the wall, also you will save power.

Yes there are knockoff Crosleys (Hard to believe, but probably all made in the same Chinese factory)

This video shows some of the suitcase Crosley ripoffs.

[video=youtube;yV6ZwpLuyk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV6ZwpLuyk4[/video]

Is it all Crosley's or just the suitcase type. Don't they make the ones that look like old timey 1940's radios on stands?

Is it all Crosley's or just the suitcase type. Don't they make the ones that look like old timey 1940's radios on stands?

They're all sub par. They lack features such as tracking force adjustment and anti skate. There's a much higher chance your records will be ruined when they're being played on a Crosley.

Got my Bad and Dangerous LP's through today and i listened to both sides of the Bad LP, I was a little worried at first when i opened it up the Bad LP as i could see a few finger prints and two scratches on one side, But then again the LP is nearly 30 years old but thankfully it played fine all the way through with no skips and no jumps. I didn't know the Dangerous LP was 2 records 4 sides i was forgetting it has 14 Tracks on it, well i am only on the first record on the dangerous LP listened to one side and just about to turn it over good so far.

I have also noticed with vinyl records you get more of a feeling for the record as you listen to it all the way through with CD's and that it's too easy to skip songs with vinyl not so easy.

Went to my Local car boot sale today look for records and i picked on The Jackson's Victory LP

Decided to change this thread for anyone to discuss anything about mj on vinyl a just bought invincible on vinyl and you rock my world on vinyl cant wait for them to come through

What i know is i will learn to respect invincible in a new way listening to it on vinyl when i bought it on cd as a teen when it came it harsh as its to say but its too easy skip tracks. On vinyl u are kinda forced to listen to it all the way through plus u need to turn over i dunno i feel like u just get a different in depth of of a vinly album than a cd. Ps a just bought a display cabint and i have 3 mj hot toys so cant wait to show case them

Im actually kinda scared incase im wear my thriller and bad vinyl out that are from the 80's and have been more than likely played a good few times before me. I invested in a turn table that is round about 100 pound defo over 100 dollars i got for a bargian of 84 pound so it should not damaged my records after i only plan to play my old valuable recornds like the mj old ones once a month 2 pushing it or my being over the top am i fine just long as i take care and dont skip tracks why would i want to anyway

Kevin 1990, sounds like you have the vinyl bug. Congratulations, I caught it two years ago. It's fun isn't it, I am copping a new Michael Jackson 7 inch single on average every month, I can't stop.

I recently bought new copies of Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad on vinyl. I also found a used copy of Music & Me at a local record shop (same place I bought the new pressings), and it sounds wonderful, too.

I haven't gone exclusively vinyl, because many of my favorite artists don't press their music on vinyl. But I've been buying, when possible, vinyl for at home and MP3/digital downloads for on the go.

I need to get Got To Be There, Ben, Forever Michael, Dangerous, Invincible, and Xscape. HIStory and Blood On The Dance Floor were also pressed on vinyl at one point, but I've looked at prices online, and I'm not paying that! Yikes.

So, I've been collecting records for almost 3 years and started out collecting all things Michael and J5 related. I absolutely love how those albums sound on vinyl. But,for me, it also depends on if I have remastered versions of the album or not. I am finicky, so I actually prefer used copies of older MJ and J5/Jacksons albums since they definitely were intended to be on vinyl record (since that was the most popular format at the time). In general, later albums that debuted digitally on CD do not sound much different from remastered vinyl record albums. But, the old MJ albums on vinyl record are such treats! There are intros and lines and even verses in songs you thought you knew so well that are actually present, but had been cut and replaced on future versions of the albums because of radio/single edits! Another tid-bit, I do not know if you are familiar with his song called "Can't Get Outta the Rain", but it's an extra from the Thriller album and the only physical copies that I am aware of are on 45s and is usually paired with The Girl is Mine; you should totally try to find one if you dig the song (I found mine on eBay about a year ago)!

Im actually kinda scared incase im wear my thriller and bad vinyl out that are from the 80's and have been more than likely played a good few times before me. I invested in a turn table that is round about 100 pound defo over 100 dollars i got for a bargian of 84 pound so it should not damaged my records after i only plan to play my old valuable recornds like the mj old ones once a month 2 pushing it or my being over the top am i fine just long as i take care and dont skip tracks why would i want to anyway

Get some cheap second-hand records and get some practice cleaning and playing them. That's what I'm planning to do. It's best not to risk good records if you don't have experience with a record player.

Depends,

The new vinyl releases of MJ are just poor pressing from mp3 sources, so bad quality.
The old editions up to the beginning of the 90s - that's a different story and I have a lot of MJ in my collection from that time.
I have original Technics SL1200MK5 :) Now it cost a lot because they stopped making them 7 years ago.

Depends,

The new vinyl releases of MJ are just poor pressing from mp3 sources, so bad quality.
The old editions up to the beginning of the 90s - that's a different story and I have a lot of MJ in my collection from that time.
I have original Technics SL1200MK5 :) Now it cost a lot because they stopped making them 7 years ago.

What about the recent reissues of OTW, Thriller and Bad? Are they from mp3 sources?

What about the recent reissues of OTW, Thriller and Bad? Are they from mp3 sources?

It's possible they're using more recent digital masters, but being sourced from mp3 files is very unlikely.

It's possible they're using more recent digital masters, but being sourced from mp3 files is very unlikely.

All mastered from iTunes! They don't sound bad, but there's no comparison to the originals. The MOV pressings are decent.

All mastered from iTunes! They don't sound bad, but there's no comparison to the originals. The MOV pressings are decent.

Has that been confirmed?

It just feels silly to do that when the original masters (probably) still exist.

Back