Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 88

Thread: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

   
  1. #16
    Points: 17,331, Level: 83
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Galactus123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,911
    Points
    17,331
    Level
    83
    Thanks
    2,118
    Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,128 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post

    For example: Travis Payne (his longtime choreographer) testified that MJ asked for a teleprompter in order to remember certain lyrics of his songs. Teleprompter is a display device that enables actors to remember their lines.
    He had used it before. There is a picture from the 30th Anniversary concert in 2001 were you can see a teleprompter.

    Edit: Sorry for double post. I meant to edit the last post but I posted accidentally.
    Last edited by Galactus123; 15-04-2017 at 03:28 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galactus123 For This Useful Post:


  3. #17
    Points: 21,204, Level: 91
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    barbee0715's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,553
    Points
    21,204
    Level
    91
    Thanks
    17,738
    Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,855 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven1990 View Post
    It sort of relieves me that it must've been a technical rehearsal. It hurts to think he might've been confused or so… But him changing or performing different dance routines, might just have been due to a technical approach of the rehearsal. That's a good insight.
    I thought it was obvious that it was just a technical walk through and not what he would have done in the show-but I think they put it in the movie because everyone would have been disappointed had we not seen at least a few seconds of "Billie Jean."

    Quote Originally Posted by Annita View Post
    Well attorney`s for Murray saw all the 100 hours of the footage because they searched for bad scenes but could not find it. Judge denied also to show something from the unreleased footage because of the great value of the footage for further releases.

    We all know there were days with great concernings but they did not film it. And btw most of the footage (not Billie Jean) of the TII-film is from the last 2 days of reharsals and all witnesses said he was in great shape in this 2 days.
    The fact that Murray's lawyers were watching that extra footage for anything and everything that showed Michael in a bad light, and announced they found NOTHING was quite satisfying to me.

    I feel like the reason they show some songs on obviously 2 or 3 different days is because they wanted to show us the entire number-instead of footage of lots of stops and starts. The best thing about TII is that it showed Michael committed and focused and into performing again-he may not have wanted to do it originally, as he didn't want to do Victory Tour either, but once he was in, he was all in and committed.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:


  5. #18
    Points: 32,911, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,277
    Points
    32,911
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,011 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    It winds me up when fans act like MJ was falling to pieces during the TII rehearsals.

    There is literally no evidence to support that, other than tabloid propaganda.
    I'm not saying that he was in perfect health, to me, he looked very underweight and needed to bulk up badly. But no amount of "clever editing" can change the actual footage itself...

    You talk as if he was too frail to do a moonwalk and yet on his performance of Beat It, he twice throws himself down on the stage floor and waves his legs in the air. I don't know many fifty year olds who can do that.

  6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:


  7. #19
    Points: 5,959, Level: 50
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    969
    Points
    5,959
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 525 Times in 279 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
    He had used it before. There is a picture from the 30th Anniversary concert in 2001 were you can see a teleprompter.
    Ironically enough, your argument backs up even more MJ’s very bad mental/health condition during his ‘This Is It’ rehearsals.

    MJ resorted to a teleprompter in his 2001 MSG Shows because of his very bad mental condition also at that time.

    Remember also that (like ‘This Is It’) he was heavily drugged up right before (& during) those MSG shows. That was confirmed by various reliable sources (including the producer of those shows, David Guest).

    Quote Originally Posted by barbee0715 View Post
    The best thing about TII is that it showed Michael committed and focused and into performing again-he may not have wanted to do it originally, as he didn't want to do Victory Tour either, but once he was in, he was all in and committed.
    Personally, I would not call an artist committed & focused when he misses one rehearsal after another.

    Also, aside MJ’s initial reluctance in both cases, I think all the other circumstances (between Victory & This Is It) were diametrically different.

    MJ was his own boss (during the Victory Tour era), whereas during the ‘This Is It’ era was totally being controlled/manipulated.

    One example: MJ even changed, of his own volition, the odd, elaborate ticket system (mail order) when a little girl from Texas complained. During the This Is It era, MJ was not even able to control the number of the dates of his upcoming concerts.

    Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    Indeed. You should always keep this in mind when it comes to documentaries, editing can completely change everything - especially when you have a hundred hours of footage at your disposal (and footage to cutaway to should everything else be unusable).

    It was literally in the contract (or whatever you call it) for TII that Michael could not be depicted negatively.
    Yet, there are fans who like to ignore the power of editing when it comes to certain films (like ‘This Is It’).

    I think this comes down to the fact that they want to retain a good recollection of their idol’s final moments. To a certain extent, I can understand that.

  8. #20
    Points: 32,911, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,277
    Points
    32,911
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,011 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    there are fans who like to ignore the power of editing when it comes to certain films (like ‘This Is It’).

    I think this comes down to the fact that they want to retain a good recollection of their idol’s final moments. To a certain extent, I can understand that.
    Could you be more condescending? There is plenty of footage on TII which shows MJ alert, in control and fully capable of performing. I have no doubt that the film was designed and edited to portray MJ in the best possible light, but you can't deny that from the footage we have seen, MJ is world's away from how he appeared on the MSG shows. You can't just throw around terms like "clever editing" and completely ignore scenes where he clearly demonstrates that he is physically very fit and capable for a man of his age.
    Last edited by MattyJam; 16-04-2017 at 10:34 AM.

  9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:


  10. #21
    Points: 763, Level: 14
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    39
    Points
    763
    Level
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Okay, so what we can see here is the fact that opinions are divided. Some argue Michael was in good shape and no evidence was found that proved otherwise, both mentally and physically. Others claim that clues we consider a sign of good mental and physical health, might actually be edited or not show reality.

    I think it's safe to say that it wasn't a case of black or white, but merely a combination of both. In some ways Michael was healthy (to a certain extent) and in some ways he might have been worse off then we are guided to believe according to the This Is It footage.

    The commercial release of TII footage does not provide evidence to conclude that Michael was either in a bad or good shape. Therefore, we can only rely on accounts of other people. But then again, we might also question their reliability.

    One thing is for sure, what truly happened behind the scenes is something we might never find out about, unless we get to see all the footage there is. In that case, everybody can see for themselves and make up their mind of the reliability with regard to the image of Michael as presented in the commercial release of TII.

  11. #22
    Points: 5,300, Level: 46
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    492
    Points
    5,300
    Level
    46
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by Annita View Post
    Well attorney`s for Murray saw all the 100 hours of the footage because they searched for bad scenes but could not find it. Judge denied also to show something from the unreleased footage because of the great value of the footage for further releases.

    We all know there were days with great concernings but they did not film it. And btw most of the footage (not Billie Jean) of the TII-film is from the last 2 days of reharsals and all witnesses said he was in great shape in this 2 days.
    Now, now, Annita. You're spoiling it for the conspiracy theorists. 😉👍

  12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:


  13. #23
    Points: 5,300, Level: 46
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    492
    Points
    5,300
    Level
    46
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Didn't the autopsy also show that MJ was in great shape for a 50 year old?

    Love to see any 50 year olds on here perform like MJ did - edited or not.

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmoothMJ For This Useful Post:


  15. #24
    Points: 5,484, Level: 47
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,055
    Points
    5,484
    Level
    47
    Thanks
    2,765
    Thanked 655 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    Could you be more condescending? There is plenty of footage on TII which shows MJ alert, in control and fully capable of performing. I have no doubt that the film was designed and edited to portray MJ in the best possible light, but you can't deny that from the footage we have seen, MJ is world's away from how he appeared on the MSG shows. You can't just throw around terms like "clever editing" and completely ignore scenes where he clearly demonstrates that he is physically very fit and capable for a man of his age.
    You seem to forget he was using ephedrine during the rehearsals as well. You cannot gauge how MJ was from the This Is It film when he was using drugs to stay alert and awake at the rehearsals.

  16. #25
    Points: 15,654, Level: 80
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Pink Diamond Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    A Place With No Name.
    Posts
    2,901
    Points
    15,654
    Level
    80
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 941 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    It winds me up when fans act like MJ was falling to pieces during the TII rehearsals.

    There is literally no evidence to support that, other than tabloid propaganda.
    I'm not saying that he was in perfect health, to me, he looked very underweight and needed to bulk up badly. But no amount of "clever editing" can change the actual footage itself...

    You talk as if he was too frail to do a moonwalk and yet on his performance of Beat It, he twice throws himself down on the stage floor and waves his legs in the air. I don't know many fifty year olds who can do that.
    MTE.
    Ain't nobody stupid enough to say he was in perfect health, but he wasn't at death's door like some act like he was either.

    The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:


  18. #26
    Points: 3,325, Level: 35
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    93
    Points
    3,325
    Level
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    It winds me up when fans act like MJ was falling to pieces during the TII rehearsals.

    There is literally no evidence to support that, other than tabloid propaganda.
    I'm not saying that he was in perfect health, to me, he looked very underweight and needed to bulk up badly. But no amount of "clever editing" can change the actual footage itself...

    You talk as if he was too frail to do a moonwalk and yet on his performance of Beat It, he twice throws himself down on the stage floor and waves his legs in the air. I don't know many fifty year olds who can do that.
    Was he falling to pieces? No. Should he have been preparing to begin a 50 concert series? No.
    Anybody who needs powerful drugs just to sleep is clearly not well enough to perform.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to chris123678 For This Useful Post:


  20. #27
    Points: 3,401, Level: 36
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    45
    Points
    3,401
    Level
    36
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    I personally think MJ would have been ready for the 02. He wanted to do these shows. He probably had good days and bad days. But when Kenny doubted him, he proved on those final 2 nights that when he wanted to , he could perform. The more I think about it and from evidence in the civil trial emails- MJ must have felt pressure from Kenny, as he didn't have to contractually be at every rehearsal. I don't usually believe what CM says but I think there was a bit of truth in that MJ disliked Ortega due to pressure . Kenny was probably thinking MJ could pull out of the tour. Remember when MJ is in rehearsal mode he would only go 50 to 60% anyways. MJ was 50 and had been performing his whole life, probably bored of doing it again as he knew the routines. I think they edited TII in that way to use other footage , saving the best for later editions. Lets wait for the anniversary and see those final nights in their entirity. The evidence from his autopsy also said he was in good health for a 50 year old man.

    This was from an interview from TII dancer Kyrss Grant about the TII movie " The release of This Is It also inspired mixed emotions. At the time of release he gave an interview saying he would wait for the DVD. Today he says he still finds it difficult to watch. He is also bemused by some of the choices that were made regarding what was and wasn't included. "It's funny because those bits you see, he's not doing the full out still. There were times where he was really, really doing it, like full out. There are a lot of things that weren't shown in This Is It. I really don't know why that stuff was left out."
    Last edited by mjawb2009; 16-04-2017 at 11:10 PM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to mjawb2009 For This Useful Post:


  22. #28
    Points: 5,959, Level: 50
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    969
    Points
    5,959
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 525 Times in 279 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    It winds me up when fans act like MJ was falling to pieces during the TII rehearsals.

    There is literally no evidence to support that, other than tabloid propaganda.

    You talk as if he was too frail to do a moonwalk and yet on his performance of Beat It, he twice throws himself down on the stage floor and waves his legs in the air. I don't know many fifty year olds who can do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyJam View Post
    Could you be more condescending? There is plenty of footage on TII which shows MJ alert, in control and fully capable of performing. I have no doubt that the film was designed and edited to portray MJ in the best possible light, but you can't deny that from the footage we have seen, MJ is world's away from how he appeared on the MSG shows. You can't just throw around terms like "clever editing" and completely ignore scenes where he clearly demonstrates that he is physically very fit and capable for a man of his age.
    Either you simply bury your head in the sand, or you are (after so many years) still uninformed regarding what was really going on back then. The same goes for any other fan who agrees with you.

    I could address many facts/testimonies (non tabloid propaganda) that have come to light & prove that MJ was in very bad health during those rehearsals, even unable to operate on a basic, intellectual level. But, I am afraid it is completely pointless.

    Finally, needless to say, you make the same mistake by forming your opinion on some bits & pieces that officially aired (like that ‘Beat It’ part from ‘This Is It’).

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    You seem to forget he was using ephedrine during the rehearsals as well. You cannot gauge how MJ was from the This Is It film when he was using drugs to stay alert and awake at the rehearsals.
    Any fact that you will present to them is going to fall on deaf ears.

    So, I think it is a sheer waste of time trying to change their wrong opinions.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:


  24. #29
    Points: 5,484, Level: 47
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,055
    Points
    5,484
    Level
    47
    Thanks
    2,765
    Thanked 655 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    ^Facts and testimonies don't seem to matter, you are correct, anyone who didn't say MJ was amazing (I don't think anybody did even say that) is apparently exaggerating.

  25. #30
    Points: 38,307, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Hess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    9,966
    Points
    38,307
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1,335
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,325 Posts

    Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    For example: Travis Payne (his longtime choreographer) testified that MJ asked for a teleprompter in order to remember certain lyrics of his songs. Teleprompter is a display device that enables actors to remember their lines.
    Many many singers use teleprompters... - Robbie Williams have used them always, actually I don't think there are any tours he didn't use it. And he is young and does not dance. Teleprompters can be very usefull - and many singers use them... So that is not really a good argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
    Was he falling to pieces? No. Should he have been preparing to begin a 50 concert series? No.
    Anybody who needs powerful drugs just to sleep is clearly not well enough to perform.
    Agreed.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess

    I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •