Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Cool What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm sorry if there's already a similar topic; I couldn't fine one.

I was just watching someone's first reaction on MJ's This Is It rehearsals on YouTube and he seemed kind of amazed by how great it was. To a large extent I agree, because the rehearsal footage allowed us to witness once more how Michael worked in preparation of his shows. However, there are some elements I have questions about.

In the Billie Jean performance I noted that he had let go of certain dance routines that he did incorporate in previous performances (all his tours basically). To give an example, this lack is very obvious in Billie Jean in This Is It; although he keeps certain elements in and I believe that's some sort of recognition for the people who wanted to see the performances as they were back in the 80s and 90s.

Some people claimed Michael was confused, too fragile and in bad health to perform. But in my opinion he does not seem confused at all, as he said 'at least you get a feel of it'. It seems as if he was perfectly aware of what he was doing.

That brings me to the following. I wonder why Michael changed some of the dance routines, compared to other rehearsals (Dangerous Tour rehearsals). There are several questions I would have loved to ask Michael.
    For instance
    - Compared to other rehearsals, what was the reason for adding and leaving out certain dance elements/routines in the This Is It rehearsals?
    - What was it like to get back to performing (or preparing to perform) with regard to singing (memorizing lyrics, etc.) and dancing (memorizing dance routines, physical demandingness)?
    - Was it your intention to change certain dance routines in order to give the fans something new to look at? Or a combination of new and familiar moves, etc.?

Do you guys have other questions you would have loved to ask? And what do you think possible answers might have been? I do not intend to speculate, only to find realistic answers based on possible accounts of his team, interviews, etc. Hopes and expectations can be discussed as well.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: What would you ask MJ based on his performances in This Is It

It sounded to me when he said ''at least you get a feel of it'' if he was too tired, too fragile or not in the mood to do his Billi Jean routine. I don't know. I don't get a good feeling when I hear him saying that each time when I watch the TII Billie Jean rehearsal.

Instagram: turkishcrescent

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    It sounded to me when he said ''at least you get a feel of it'' if he was too tired, too fragile or not in the mood to do his Billi Jean routine. I don't know. I don't get a good feeling when I hear him saying that each time when I watch the TII Billie Jean rehearsal.
    What is it that makes you question his mood or energy level? Is it his voice, the phrase itself, or the tone/intonation of how he said it?

What do others believe, how does the Billie Jean rehearsal, for example, make you feel with regard to his dance routine, the way he moves, etc.?

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,642 Posts

When it comes to the Billie Jean rehearsal we see in TII, I think there were a number of factors. Firstly, he was holding back (once it really kicks in, you notice he does let go a bit). Secondly, he wasn't in the best state healthwise at the time, and for a dancer... well he's 50 years old which is pretty old for a dancer (especially a dancer performing the moves of Michael Jackson).

I think it sucks because he knew that despite his age, people would expect the performance level of someone half his age. Must've taken a real toll on him mentally and stress wise.

As for the topic question, I don't really know what I'd ask him about his performances. I'd probably ask him to change it up a bit, and that I also find the visual short films he and his team were working on are super cool.
    Last edited by HIStoric; 14-04-2017 at 04:46 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HIStoric For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,739 Posts

I think for the dance routines the answer is it´s only rehearsals.
    He said several times that he needed to save his voice and he wasn´t going for 100% in the rehearsals for the dance routines either.Michael had done Billie Jean so many times he didn´t need to rehearse it. I get a feeling that they were testing the lights in Billie Jean and musicians and background singers got a feel of the song.He could have just walked back and forth but he did what he felt like just then.
    Michael knew what fans wanted and I think he had done the ordinary dance routines maybe with a small change if he had made one show.
    For Smooth Criminal they didn´t have the shoes to do the lean yet.
    "How much did I really know about life on earth? What responsibility did I feel for creatures outside my little space?
    How could I lead my life so that every cell of living matter was also benefited?" Michael Jackson
    "Love no violence ever, remember a beautiful future promise of tomorrow "MJ

stop the killing of pets. Save lifes,spay and neuter your pets
    Adopt from an animalshelter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEpf5L8x0M

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIST For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 835 Posts

That clearly was NOT what Mj was gonna do in the actual show for Billie Jean. Seeing as how that song isn't dependent on backup dancers, it seemed more of a tech rehearsal for the band and lighting than anything. It would have been the usual shtick he's always done for the song. I'm betting with handheld mic, too.
    It might have been end of the day and was tired. I dunno. He didn't even moonwalk, so that tells you it was just so everyone was on the same page with techy stuff.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtlasAir For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,208 Posts

They were just rehearsals and he hadn't performed in 7 years. Also he hadn't performed some songs since Bad and Dangerous Tours so of course he had to learn some things again. I'm sure he didn't watch the performances again and again over the years like fans do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Galactus123 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    When it comes to the Billie Jean rehearsal we see in TII, I think there were a number of factors. Firstly, he was holding back (once it really kicks in, you notice he does let go a bit). Secondly, he wasn't in the best state healthwise at the time, and for a dancer... well he's 50 years old which is pretty old for a dancer (especially a dancer performing the moves of Michael Jackson).

I think it sucks because he knew that despite his age, people would expect the performance level of someone half his age. Must've taken a real toll on him mentally and stress wise.

As for the topic question, I don't really know what I'd ask him about his performances. I'd probably ask him to change it up a bit, and that I also find the visual short films he and his team were working on are super cool.
    Yes, he was definitely holding back indeed. One argument for this is the fact that he mentioned it several times throughout the rehearsal footage. However, some performances seem like he wasn't holding back at all or that his health didn't put a strain on his performance at all. I mean, look at Black or White. I would be very happy seeing this version live as a member of an audience. I would be happy seeing anything, but you know what I mean… It would be very satisfying.

It's a pity indeed, that people would still expect Michael from the 80s with regard to physical energy, etc. I would tell Michael that even him sitting on a chair singing his songs would be just perfect.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven1990 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AtlasAir View Post
    That clearly was NOT what Mj was gonna do in the actual show for Billie Jean. Seeing as how that song isn't dependent on backup dancers, it seemed more of a tech rehearsal for the band and lighting than anything. It would have been the usual shtick he's always done for the song. I'm betting with handheld mic, too.
    It might have been end of the day and was tired. I dunno. He didn't even moonwalk, so that tells you it was just so everyone was on the same page with techy stuff.
    It sort of relieves me that it must've been a technical rehearsal. It hurts to think he might've been confused or so… But him changing or performing different dance routines, might just have been due to a technical approach of the rehearsal. That's a good insight.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven1990 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
    They were just rehearsals and he hadn't performed in 7 years. Also he hadn't performed some songs since Bad and Dangerous Tours so of course he had to learn some things again. I'm sure he didn't watch the performances again and again over the years like fans do.

Amazing, right? Can't think of a song he hadn't performed since the Bad. Can you name one?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,485 Times in 3,724 Posts

The only one that I know of rehearsed for TII that Michael only performed it on the Bad Tour was Dirty Diana.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White luvs Peter Pan For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven1990 View Post
    Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm sorry if there's already a similar topic; I couldn't fine one.

I was just watching someone's first reaction on MJ's This Is It rehearsals on YouTube and he seemed kind of amazed by how great it was. To a large extent I agree, because the rehearsal footage allowed us to witness once more how Michael worked in preparation of his shows. However, there are some elements I have questions about.

Do you guys have other questions you would have loved to ask? And what do you think possible answers might have been? I do not intend to speculate, only to find realistic answers based on possible accounts of his team, interviews, etc. Hopes and expectations can be discussed as well.
    You should not rely only on the 'This Is It' film that officially aired.

There was a lot of unsettling activity that took place during those rehearsals that raises lots of question marks (regarding MJ’s so-called good health).

Take into account all those testimonies during the subsequent trial. Only in this way will you arrive to right conclusions.

For example: Travis Payne (his longtime choreographer) testified that MJ asked for a teleprompter in order to remember certain lyrics of his songs. Teleprompter is a display device that enables actors to remember their lines.

Also, we should keep in mind that this one & a half hour film comes from nearly 100 of footage, so it is highly edited. This is the reason also that in particular songs MJ appears in several different outfits. Personally, I shudder to think what the rest of that footage looks like.

Also, there are also some other reliable accounts (like from Leonard Rowe, a longtime friend of the Jackson family who was also on business term with MJ) that shed light on what really was going on behind the scenes.

Some people claimed Michael was confused, too fragile and in bad health to perform. But in my opinion he does not seem confused at all, as he said 'at least you get a feel of it'. It seems as if he was perfectly aware of what he was doing.
    People who are heavily relied on drugs are not perfectly aware of what they are doing & unfortunately that was the case also for MJ during those rehearsals, not to mention the use of antidepressants at that time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    You should not rely only on the 'This Is It' film that officially aired.
    Also, we should keep in mind that this one & a half hour film comes from nearly 100 of footage, so it is highly edited.
    Indeed. You should always keep this in mind when it comes to documentaries, editing can completely change everything - especially when you have a hundred hours of footage at your disposal (and footage to cutaway to should everything else be unusable).

It was literally in the contract (or whatever you call it) for TII that Michael could not be depicted negatively.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,365 Times in 1,183 Posts

Well attorney`s for Murray saw all the 100 hours of the footage because they searched for bad scenes but could not find it. Judge denied also to show something from the unreleased footage because of the great value of the footage for further releases.

We all know there were days with great concernings but they did not film it. And btw most of the footage (not Billie Jean) of the TII-film is from the last 2 days of reharsals and all witnesses said he was in great shape in this 2 days.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annita For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,208 Posts

Amazing, right? Can't think of a song he hadn't performed since the Bad. Can you name one?
    Dirty Diana. That wasn't included in the movie but it was supposed to be performed at the shows. Also he hadn't performed many songs since Dangerous Tour. That is a long time.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Galactus123 For This Useful Post: