Thread: Article about Michael's performance of I Shot The Sheriff.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,009 Posts

Post Article about Michael's performance of I Shot The Sheriff.

Michael Jackson’s “I Shot the Sheriff” Matches the Quality of His Greatest Hits

By Izaia BullockOn April 13, 2017

In every era, there are special artists who can make people sing their songs, dance to their music and pay to see them perform. In this era, we have artists like Beyoncé, Drake, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Chris Brown, J. Cole and many more, but nobody will ever rock a stage like Michael Jackson did.
    Michael Jackson is known for his great performances and songs such as: “Thriller,” “Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” “Smooth Criminal” and so many more. However, Jackson’s “I Shot the Sheriff” is highly underrated. It was released in 1977 and six of the eight Jacksons were in the video. This video was not highly televised but it ended up on YouTube and it is fantastic. In the video, Jackson is dressed like a cowboy along with his supporting cast, and the setting is in an old, early 1900’s western bar.
    At the beginning of the video, Jackson kicks open swinging doors and enters the bar and a guy falls out of his chair. The bartender stares at Jackson with his eyes wide open, as if he were shocked. Then Jackson dances with the people in the background while singing, “The Cisco kid was a friend of mine.” Soon after, Jackson sings, “He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine,” then proceeds to walk over to the bar and has a shot of whiskey, singing all of the lyrics from the song.
    Afterwards, the sheriff walks into the bar and separates Jackson from a women he was dancing with. They slowly separate from one another while holding their waist as if they are about to have a shootout; while people in the bar scream and run off frantically. As the scene continues, Jackson and the sheriff both pull their guns from their holsters, firing at each other but Jackson shoots first and kills the sheriff and proceeds to sing, “I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot no deputy. I shot the sheriff, but I swear it was in self-defense.” While MJ is singing he is busting some of the sweetest dance moves that you would see anyone perform after shooting a sheriff.
    Jackson and others proceed to dance and the video ends with Jackson spinning his way into the middle with his arms stretched and that I show the video ends. While watching this I noticed that one of today’s top pop stars Bruno Mars copies some of Jackson’s style and moves. In Bruno Mars’ song ‘24k’, some of the dance moves are similar to Jackson’s in this video. Many fans watch MJ perform some of his top songs repeatedly but the most underrated performances are usually the best ones. I highly suggest you go on YouTube and watch, “I Shot the Sheriff.”

Here's a link to the article.
    http://www.quovadisnewspaper.com/new...e-Sheriff-Matc

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,685 Posts

Default Re: Article about Michael's performance of I Shot The Sheriff.

an article in 2017 written about that? shoooot.. I'll take it
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    an article in 2017 written about that? shoooot.. I'll take it
    IKR, I was kinda shocked when I saw it.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 Times in 3,052 Posts

That made my mouth fall open. Astounded that someone is watching a dance routine from the variety show AND writing an article about it.
    I hope that means a lot of people have discovered or will discover those shows. All of those musical numbers were fantastic. I have a real soft spot for that show-I really loved it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barbee0715 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 928 Posts

The writer appears to think this was a standalone promo video 'released' in 1977.

I think it's important to note that it was just another musical number from the Jacksons television show.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 751 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    The writer appears to think this was a standalone promo video 'released' in 1977.

I think it's important to note that it was just another musical number from the Jacksons television show.
    Well, that's to be expected since some people upload J5/Jacksons music to Youtube and label it as Michael Jackson, and not credit the group. I remember there was someone who uploaded entire Jackson 5 & Jacksons albums, leave off the songs that had leads by one of the other brothers, and labeled them as Michael Jackson albums. There's songs by other singers that are credited to Mike too, and the name of the act who released the song is nowhere to be seen. But I've seen this with other acts too, like Genesis songs labeled as Phil Collins. Here's an example. The writer might have seen the 1st video.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Well, now that she knows (and it's in the comments of her article), maybe she'll look at other great routines and review them. Better yet, other people will start watching these and appreciate the greatness of them.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Well, that's to be expected since some people upload J5/Jacksons music to Youtube and label it as Michael Jackson, and not credit the group.
    I don't see how that changes where the footage originates from. Or negates the journalist's responsibilities.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I don't see how that changes where the footage originates from. Or negates the journalist's responsibilities.
    What's that? I've seen TV shows like The View sometimes show old clips from TV programs, and puts Youtube as the source. I don't think the some of the media in general is going to bother to figure out where a clip comes from if the poster doesn't put up the info, especially if it's fairly obscure like this clip is. Maybe the media in your country is different, but not in the US. If researching something was that important, Fox News and some of the AM radio talk shows wouldn't exist.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

What's that? I've seen TV shows like The View sometimes show old clips from TV programs, and puts Youtube as the source. I don't think the some of the media in general is going to bother to figure out where a clip comes from if the poster doesn't put up the info, especially if it's fairly obscure like this clip is. Maybe the media in your country is different, but not in the US. If researching something was that important, Fox News and some of the AM radio talk shows wouldn't exist.
    It's one thing to credit a source on television as 'YouTube' but another to publish a written article giving a detailed account of the footage without bothering to find out where it came from.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default music videos

It's one thing to credit a source on television as 'YouTube' but another to publish a written article giving a detailed account of the footage without bothering to find out where it came from.
    If the writer thinks it's a music video, why would he or she consider looking for a source? Videos existed long before MTV and there's not really anything in the clip that indicates that it's from a TV show. It kind of looks like a video, because if it was from a show like Soul Train or American Bandstand, it would just be a performance without the set and extra people. The writer is probably young, maybe not long out of high school, because this looks like a college newspaper. So the writer might not be aware of 1970s variety TV shows. College newspapers are mostly read by students going there and not by the general public. The writers are usually the students and this kind of paper doesn't really need to go that in depth about an entertainment piece anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: music videos

If the writer thinks it's a music video, why would he or she consider looking for a source? Videos existed long before MTV and there's not really anything in the clip that indicates that it's from a TV show. It kind of looks like a video, because if it was from a show like Soul Train or American Bandstand, it would just be a performance without the set and extra people. The writer is probably young, maybe not long out of high school, because this looks like a college newspaper. So the writer might not be aware of 1970s variety TV shows. College newspapers are mostly read by students going there and not by the general public. The writers are usually the students and this kind of paper doesn't really need to go that in depth about an entertainment piece anyway.
    That's the way I took it-definitely young and not a real journalist-maybe a blogger or something. Didn't think about a student, but that's a real possibility and more than likely.

I did laugh out loud when she wrote that it was "released in the 70's" and realized she didn't realize it was one of many brilliant dance routines they did back then.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: music videos

I remember when I studied journalism and my tutors said 'hey you're young and nobody is going to read anything you write at this point so just make it up, don't waste your time researching' LOL