Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MJ clothing line by Supreme may be in the works.

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,641 Posts

Default Re: MJ clothing line by Supreme may be in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by respect77 View Post
    ^ I understand it perfectly how branding works. That doesn't mean I can't think they don't look good.
    Fair enough.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,395 Times in 1,581 Posts

they are not making any of us can't make at home.. and you know pasting pics on shirts don't last long before fading anyways.. even if they looked nice
    **He lives forever within us**

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,006 Posts

God, they look amateurish. You can find nicer looking stuff on eBay from China. No wonder if these clothing lines fail with that little effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
    They serious? I could make those on a custom clothing design website...uh Supreme is overpriced anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJTruth View Post
    I have no idea whey they have chosen that MJ picture.
    The 'cool' MJ people remember is the MJ silhouette. Or anything from the Beat It, BAD, Smooth Criminal, Thriller videos. Or any BJ concert performance from the 80s or early 90s. Hell I'd even stretch it by saying that a still from the Black Or White or Scream videos would be cool too. They could even just use the MJ logo (without the King of Pop reference).

I can't see any skaters going for merchandise with that MJ picture on.

The MJ Estate have officially licensed this, so why use such a bad picture when they had a whole catalogue of great pictures to use? This venture will fail unless they change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    It looks cheap. They should have used another picture of Michael.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    :lol: are they for real?
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    This isn't a 'clothing line' end of discussion.. lol
    So they are basically making ugly, cheap desing as if I would have downloaded a photo from the Internet and had ironed it on one of my shirts real amateurishly and then they put a brand above it and sell it real expensive as if it was a fashion statement? It's funny what they can sell to people expensive by brand-snobism.
    ^ I understand it perfectly how branding works. That doesn't mean I can't think they don't look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    they are not making any of us can't make at home.. and you know pasting pics on shirts don't last long before fading anyways.. even if they looked nice

RIP Supreme.
    We hardly knew Ye.:lol:

But yeah, I think they could have done better.
    I do like the simplicity (which AFAIK Supreme is kind of known for) tho.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,766 Times in 3,007 Posts

I haven't heard of Supreme, but it does look exactly like those iron on patch things.

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,234 Posts

It does doesn't it. Think they could have put a bit more thought into it, but I saw this on their Instagram page earlier and seems a lot of people were excited about it so to each their own I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Culture changes, fashion change, customs change, great music is immortal." - MJ

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Diamond Princess View Post
    RIP Supreme.
    We hardly knew Ye.:lol:

But yeah, I think they could have done better.
    I do like the simplicity (which AFAIK Supreme is kind of known for) tho.
    If they can't even produce a product that appeals to MJ fans then they don't stand a chance of marketing it to non fans.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

If they can't even produce a product that appeals to MJ fans then they don't stand a chance of marketing it to non fans.
    It's Supreme. There's no question that it will sell out.

In case you didn't read my novel last page (and fair enough :lol, Supreme often produced rather limit quantities of these lines and given they're a highly sought after brand, you can essentially guarantee it'll sell out regardless of Michael's face being on it.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

With this type of talent out there... maybe I should make my own clothing line! lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    MTE.

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

In case you didn't read my novel last page (and fair enough :lol, Supreme often produced rather limit quantities of these lines and given they're a highly sought after brand, you can essentially guarantee it'll sell out regardless of Michael's face being on it.

Ooops I didn't read your post.
    So they release genuinely limited quantities of these items? what's the point then? Branca said the estate would make no money on this deal but that they hoped to get new fans some day as a result of the deal. Well, with only very limited quantities I doubt they will attract many new fans (basic statistics), especially as the design is....well, uninspiring.
    I still believe it's true that these products would be MUCH more appealing to fans and non-fans if they used a design that was good. Something that might actually appeal to the Supreme's target market. I know it seems as though I think I know more than 'Supreme' themselves. A man of my age is not known for being intune with the skater fraternity but I have to say that I think I do this time around.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Ooops I didn't read your post.
    So they release genuinely limited quantities of these items? what's the point then?
    Yes, the rarity of such items and the hype it produces is a signature aspect of the Supreme brand.

From this article:
    Well the way Supreme works is instead of having a constant supply of a popular designs, such as Adidas track pants or Nike Just Do It shirts, Supreme instead makes “drops” on Thursdays where they release new designs. In these drops they release a very limited amount of any design, and after that drop they don’t sell that same design again... ...the feeling of rarity boosts people’s demand for the products, and the fact that they release so little at a time reduces the supply. Supreme’s artificial scarcity somehow works like magic, and if they can sell out anything they want in a matter of seconds then that seems like any company's dream, right?

Well this special position Supreme is in is a double edged sword, since even if they know a particular design will sell for a lot, they know they can’t make any more of it. At the end of the day however, the reason Supreme is so popular is exactly because of the fact that they make everything so limited, and their prices aren’t even that high; a shirt will retail for only about $44!

The article seems like a good introduction to the company's working model for those uninitiated, you might be interested in it.

Branca said the estate would make no money on this deal but that they hoped to get new fans some day as a result of the deal. Well, with only very limited quantities I doubt they will attract many new fans (basic statistics), especially as the design is....well, uninspiring.
    Almost everyone who wears Supreme are young (teens to young adults). To have such a youthful brand focusing it's attention on Michael Jackson puts a spotlight on him for an audience that might not usually pay attention to him. Even if there are lower numbers of the product per-say, think of the marketing, discussion, rarity and demand that'll follow as a result. Seeing dope images of MJ on a clothing line by a respected brand could get them to check him out on Spotify/Apple Music too I guess

I think what is key to remember is that working with a higher end 'premium' brand that is respected by younger audiences and popular with them helps associate the Michael Jackson brand name with a youthful, higher end image too. In fact, I just googled Branca discussing the Supreme collaboration and this reason is exactly why they're going forward with it, to re-brand MJ's image with a younger audience. Older audiences might not get it, but they're not the target audience.

Here's a discussion where people discuss the popularity of Supreme and it's brand. Good explanations in there!

I still believe it's true that these products would be MUCH more appealing to fans and non-fans if they used a design that was good. Something that might actually appeal to the Supreme's target market. I know it seems as though I think I know more than 'Supreme' themselves. A man of my age is not known for being intune with the skater fraternity but I have to say that I think I do this time around.
    I mean when it comes to fashion, everyone's going to have their own opinions on what looks good and what doesn't.

The thing is, these designs do appeal to Supreme's target market as this simplistic, minimalistic style is what they're known for. Take for instance Pink Diamond Princess and I, we're both young and within Supreme's target market and we've both expressed here how we like the simplicity of the designs.

I'm sure it's not to everyone's liking in our age bracket, but if you look at the success and popularity of the brand, well it is evidently appealing to a lot in this age bracket
    Last edited by HIStoric; 19-05-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,355 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Historic

I think what is key to remember is that working with a higher end 'premium' brand that is respected by younger audiences and popular with them helps associate the Michael Jackson brand name with a youthful, higher end image too. In fact, I just googled Branca discussing the Supreme collaboration and this reason is exactly why they're going forward with it, to re-brand MJ's image with a younger audience. Older audiences might not get it, but they're not the target audience.

Yes I allready wrote it in this thread:

Branca said this about the deal in the IRS-Trial

After two failed clothing line licensing attempts during the course of his living career, the one likeness deal that shows potential after his death is with a teen clothing company called Supreme. Branca explained to Holmes that kids are "crazy" for the company's shirts and the deal is an effort to rebrand Jackson's image with a younger audience.

"We make no money from it, but maybe someday we’ll get new fans," he said.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I mean when it comes to fashion, everyone's going to have their own opinions on what looks good and what doesn't.

The thing is, these designs do appeal to Supreme's target market as this simplistic, minimalistic style is what they're known for. Take for instance Pink Diamond Princess and I, we're both young and within Supreme's target market and we've both expressed here how we like the simplicity of the designs.

I'm sure it's not to everyone's liking in our age bracket, but if you look at the success and popularity of the brand, well it is evidently appealing to a lot in this age bracket
    I could hook up one of the hoodies/tee shirts (with MJs pic on it) with some skinny jeans/leggings and some Vans/Converse and I'm good to go.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I have not heard of Supreme until now. To be honest, the clothing looks cheap; I wouldn't pay the prices they're offering. Are these prototypes? The images on the clothes are really small.
    I remember once somebody bought me a grey "BAD" T-shirt, and the image (Michael as pictured on the album cover beneath the logo) was smaller than a handprint. I mean, what's the point of that.
    (I was still grateful to get it, though.)
    [IMG][/IMG]

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ I honestly probably would not wear it if it was given to me.. IDK just having a basic face pic printed in such form (looks like you can peal off the pic) always looked so cheap and dumb to me.. not just MJ shirts, but any.. my friend used to make his own tupac shirts, given that's cool he was repping his favorite artist like that, my eyes always went to the corners of the picture and thought... I wonder if I scratched the corner if I could peal the pic off... and in the wash, that must not do well.