MJ clothing line by Supreme may be in the works.

scrolling down seeing the convo on that page.. it annoyed me.. thank you for sharing that link though, more MJ gear

Supreme Confirms Michael Jackson Capsule Collection
By Roger Krastz May 11, 2017 3:45 PM

Supreme
Last month, rumors of a possible Supreme x Michael Jackson capsule collection surfaced online. At the time, reports on the collab remained vague, with no information available for consumers. Today, the streetwear brand confirmed the upcoming release of the Michael Jackson collection with a post on Instagram showcasing one of the apparel pieces from the collection.
Posting a photo online of Supreme and Grind Magazine’s Spring/Summer editorial, the New York City retailer introduced one of the garments from the upcoming collection. Showcasing the backside of a white tee, Supreme highlights a monochromatic image of a young Michael Jackson in red a color scheme.
While Supreme’s IG post confirms the drop of this collection, apparel pieces and accessories from the capsule, details have yet to be released by Supreme. Expect the brand to announce more news of this release as well as detailed images of the collection in the coming days.
In related Supreme news, a few days ago the New York City retailer introduced its latest collaboration with Levi’s for spring and summer of 2017. Compromised of jean trucker jacket and 501 jeans, the collection dropped earlier today at all U.S. and European Supreme flagship stores.

Here's link to the article.
http://www.xxlmag.com/lifestyle/2017/05/supreme-michael-jackson-capsule-collection/

Branca said this about the deal in the IRS-Trial

After two failed clothing line licensing attempts during the course of his living career, the one likeness deal that shows potential after his death is with a teen clothing company called Supreme. Branca explained to Holmes that kids are "crazy" for the company's shirts and the deal is an effort to rebrand Jackson's image with a younger audience.

"We make no money from it, but maybe someday we’ll get new fans," he said.

They serious? I could make those on a custom clothing design website...uh Supreme is overpriced anyways.

I have no idea whey they have chosen that MJ picture.
The 'cool' MJ people remember is the MJ silhouette. Or anything from the Beat It, BAD, Smooth Criminal, Thriller videos. Or any BJ concert performance from the 80s or early 90s. Hell I'd even stretch it by saying that a still from the Black Or White or Scream videos would be cool too. They could even just use the MJ logo (without the King of Pop reference).

I can't see any skaters going for merchandise with that MJ picture on.

The MJ Estate have officially licensed this, so why use such a bad picture when they had a whole catalogue of great pictures to use? This venture will fail unless they change it.

It looks cheap. They should have used another picture of Michael.

I wish they would come out with a clothing line of clothes that are inspired by MJ's own fashion. Clothes that maybe MJ would have worn himself. We don't need more clothes that just have MJ's face put on them.

Supreme are known for relatively simple design clothing and being rather expensive thanks to their brand name. If you were aware of Supreme before this announcement, these designs wouldn't be a surprise to you. I actually kinda like it and wouldn't mind the t-shirt, but I wouldn't spend as much as I imagine they'll charge for it, I think it looks better than the shirts available on MJ's official store right now.

THIS image though, aside from the fact it's blurry, looks like a counterfeit based on leaked or supposed designs. I don't imagine the actual products Supreme would sell would print photos this poorly.

This isn't a 'clothing line' end of discussion.. lol

So they are basically making ugly, cheap desing as if I would have downloaded a photo from the Internet and had ironed it on one of my shirts real amateurishly and then they put a brand above it and sell it real expensive as if it was a fashion statement? It's funny what they can sell to people expensive by brand-snobism.

It's a higher end fashion brand. As with anything, the brand name is very well known and thus it will sell. Some people like the designs and, especially those with an interest in fashion, aren't bothered by the higher prices.

Ugly is a matter of opinion and in terms of construction + material, they aren't exactly cheap either. I don't own any Supreme gear myself, but you can generally expect these higher end brands to also have a higher quality 'build' in terms of it's construction + material than your average department store clothing (which band merch essentially is). Feel better, fits better and they don't fall apart as easily. Supreme also deliberately supplies limited numbers whilst knowing they are very high in demand, so following the basic law of supply vs. demand means they can charge more, and people will still pay because they want their hands on exclusive goods.

It's not hard to see why most people don't get the appeal of these shirts and no-one denies that these are often expensive, in fact it's a running joke from what I've seen online. However alongside joking, those with a dedicated interest in fashion genuinely don't mind and are happy to pay more for an exclusive branded design they love that's also well made, so good for them I guess.

I did some research into average new Supreme prices and this seemed to be the average price range in USD. I could be off as it's kinda hard to figure out the price of new gear as it seems to vary a bit, there's no local store to check AND a lot of the gear is re-sold on for fluctuated prices.

T-Shirt: ~$40-55USD (Their plain, iconic 'Supreme' logo tee is $34).
Button shirt: ~$115USD
Hoodie: ~$150USD
Caps: ~$40USD

If printed properly (I don't believe the Instagram photo of the hoodie is accurate of their print), the t-shirt design still looks and would feel better than almost everything else on the MJ store. Interested to see what they have (won't be buying), but knowing their typical style and price range this doesn't surprise or bother me in the slightest.

Last edited:
they are not making any of us can't make at home.. and you know pasting pics on shirts don't last long before fading anyways.. even if they looked nice

God, they look amateurish. You can find nicer looking stuff on eBay from China. No wonder if these clothing lines fail with that little effort.

They serious? I could make those on a custom clothing design website...uh Supreme is overpriced anyways.

I have no idea whey they have chosen that MJ picture.
The 'cool' MJ people remember is the MJ silhouette. Or anything from the Beat It, BAD, Smooth Criminal, Thriller videos. Or any BJ concert performance from the 80s or early 90s. Hell I'd even stretch it by saying that a still from the Black Or White or Scream videos would be cool too. They could even just use the MJ logo (without the King of Pop reference).

I can't see any skaters going for merchandise with that MJ picture on.

The MJ Estate have officially licensed this, so why use such a bad picture when they had a whole catalogue of great pictures to use? This venture will fail unless they change it.

It looks cheap. They should have used another picture of Michael.

:lol: are they for real?

This isn't a 'clothing line' end of discussion.. lol

So they are basically making ugly, cheap desing as if I would have downloaded a photo from the Internet and had ironed it on one of my shirts real amateurishly and then they put a brand above it and sell it real expensive as if it was a fashion statement? It's funny what they can sell to people expensive by brand-snobism.

^ I understand it perfectly how branding works. That doesn't mean I can't think they don't look good.

they are not making any of us can't make at home.. and you know pasting pics on shirts don't last long before fading anyways.. even if they looked nice

RIP Supreme.
We hardly knew Ye.:lol:

But yeah, I think they could have done better.
I do like the simplicity (which AFAIK Supreme is kind of known for) tho.:yes:

It does doesn't it. Think they could have put a bit more thought into it, but I saw this on their Instagram page earlier and seems a lot of people were excited about it so to each their own I guess.

RIP Supreme.
We hardly knew Ye.:lol:

But yeah, I think they could have done better.
I do like the simplicity (which AFAIK Supreme is kind of known for) tho.:yes:

If they can't even produce a product that appeals to MJ fans then they don't stand a chance of marketing it to non fans.

If they can't even produce a product that appeals to MJ fans then they don't stand a chance of marketing it to non fans.

It's Supreme. There's no question that it will sell out.

In case you didn't read my novel last page (and fair enough :lol:), Supreme often produced rather limit quantities of these lines and given they're a highly sought after brand, you can essentially guarantee it'll sell out regardless of Michael's face being on it.

With this type of talent out there... maybe I should make my own clothing line! lol

It's Supreme. There's no question that it will sell out.

In case you didn't read my novel last page (and fair enough :lol:), Supreme often produced rather limit quantities of these lines and given they're a highly sought after brand, you can essentially guarantee it'll sell out regardless of Michael's face being on it.

Ooops I didn't read your post.
So they release genuinely limited quantities of these items? what's the point then? Branca said the estate would make no money on this deal but that they hoped to get new fans some day as a result of the deal. Well, with only very limited quantities I doubt they will attract many new fans (basic statistics), especially as the design is....well, uninspiring.
I still believe it's true that these products would be MUCH more appealing to fans and non-fans if they used a design that was good. Something that might actually appeal to the Supreme's target market. I know it seems as though I think I know more than 'Supreme' themselves. A man of my age is not known for being intune with the skater fraternity but I have to say that I think I do this time around.

MJTruth;4194685 said:
Ooops I didn't read your post.
So they release genuinely limited quantities of these items? what's the point then?

Yes, the rarity of such items and the hype it produces is a signature aspect of the Supreme brand.

From this article:
Well the way Supreme works is instead of having a constant supply of a popular designs, such as Adidas track pants or Nike Just Do It shirts, Supreme instead makes “drops” on Thursdays where they release new designs. In these drops they release a very limited amount of any design, and after that drop they don’t sell that same design again... ...the feeling of rarity boosts people’s demand for the products, and the fact that they release so little at a time reduces the supply. Supreme’s artificial scarcity somehow works like magic, and if they can sell out anything they want in a matter of seconds then that seems like any company's dream, right?

Well this special position Supreme is in is a double edged sword, since even if they know a particular design will sell for a lot, they know they can’t make any more of it. At the end of the day however, the reason Supreme is so popular is exactly because of the fact that they make everything so limited, and their prices aren’t even that high; a shirt will retail for only about $44!

The article seems like a good introduction to the company's working model for those uninitiated, you might be interested in it.

MJTruth;4194685 said:
Branca said the estate would make no money on this deal but that they hoped to get new fans some day as a result of the deal. Well, with only very limited quantities I doubt they will attract many new fans (basic statistics), especially as the design is....well, uninspiring.

Almost everyone who wears Supreme are young (teens to young adults). To have such a youthful brand focusing it's attention on Michael Jackson puts a spotlight on him for an audience that might not usually pay attention to him. Even if there are lower numbers of the product per-say, think of the marketing, discussion, rarity and demand that'll follow as a result. Seeing dope images of MJ on a clothing line by a respected brand could get them to check him out on Spotify/Apple Music too I guess :)

I think what is key to remember is that working with a higher end 'premium' brand that is respected by younger audiences and popular with them helps associate the Michael Jackson brand name with a youthful, higher end image too. In fact, I just googled Branca discussing the Supreme collaboration and this reason is exactly why they're going forward with it, to re-brand MJ's image with a younger audience. Older audiences might not get it, but they're not the target audience.

Here's a discussion where people discuss the popularity of Supreme and it's brand. Good explanations in there!

MJTruth;4194685 said:
I still believe it's true that these products would be MUCH more appealing to fans and non-fans if they used a design that was good. Something that might actually appeal to the Supreme's target market. I know it seems as though I think I know more than 'Supreme' themselves. A man of my age is not known for being intune with the skater fraternity but I have to say that I think I do this time around.

I mean when it comes to fashion, everyone's going to have their own opinions on what looks good and what doesn't.

The thing is, these designs do appeal to Supreme's target market as this simplistic, minimalistic style is what they're known for. Take for instance Pink Diamond Princess and I, we're both young and within Supreme's target market and we've both expressed here how we like the simplicity of the designs.

I'm sure it's not to everyone's liking in our age bracket, but if you look at the success and popularity of the brand, well it is evidently appealing to a lot in this age bracket :)

Last edited:
Quote Historic

I think what is key to remember is that working with a higher end 'premium' brand that is respected by younger audiences and popular with them helps associate the Michael Jackson brand name with a youthful, higher end image too. In fact, I just googled Branca discussing the Supreme collaboration and this reason is exactly why they're going forward with it, to re-brand MJ's image with a younger audience. Older audiences might not get it, but they're not the target audience.

Yes I allready wrote it in this thread:

Branca said this about the deal in the IRS-Trial

After two failed clothing line licensing attempts during the course of his living career, the one likeness deal that shows potential after his death is with a teen clothing company called Supreme. Branca explained to Holmes that kids are "crazy" for the company's shirts and the deal is an effort to rebrand Jackson's image with a younger audience.

"We make no money from it, but maybe someday we’ll get new fans," he said.

I mean when it comes to fashion, everyone's going to have their own opinions on what looks good and what doesn't.

The thing is, these designs do appeal to Supreme's target market as this simplistic, minimalistic style is what they're known for. Take for instance Pink Diamond Princess and I, we're both young and within Supreme's target market and we've both expressed here how we like the simplicity of the designs.

I'm sure it's not to everyone's liking in our age bracket, but if you look at the success and popularity of the brand, well it is evidently appealing to a lot in this age bracket :)

I could hook up one of the hoodies/tee shirts (with MJs pic on it) with some skinny jeans/leggings and some Vans/Converse and I'm good to go.:)

I have not heard of Supreme until now. To be honest, the clothing looks cheap; I wouldn't pay the prices they're offering. Are these prototypes? The images on the clothes are really small.
I remember once somebody bought me a grey "BAD" T-shirt, and the image (Michael as pictured on the album cover beneath the logo) was smaller than a handprint. I mean, what's the point of that.
(I was still grateful to get it, though.)

^ I honestly probably would not wear it if it was given to me.. IDK just having a basic face pic printed in such form (looks like you can peal off the pic) always looked so cheap and dumb to me.. not just MJ shirts, but any.. my friend used to make his own tupac shirts, given that's cool he was repping his favorite artist like that, my eyes always went to the corners of the picture and thought... I wonder if I scratched the corner if I could peal the pic off... and in the wash, that must not do well.

^ I honestly probably would not wear it if it was given to me.. IDK just having a basic face pic printed in such form (looks like you can peal off the pic) always looked so cheap and dumb to me.. not just MJ shirts, but any.. my friend used to make his own tupac shirts, given that's cool he was repping his favorite artist like that, my eyes always went to the corners of the picture and thought... I wonder if I scratched the corner if I could peal the pic off... and in the wash, that must not do well.

I know what you mean; I've had plenty of those kinds of T-shirts. This grey one I had actually had a decent print; it was just tiny. The ones that look like they've been glued on to the fabric don't appeal to me at all.

Dropping tomorrow, seems to be a skateboard too.

AXMKrsM.jpg

Would like to have the B&W MJ shirt :p

Back