Michael's best spins?

Snake2J

Proud Member
Ok, so one of the things that always blew my mind about Michael's dancing was his ability to spin multiple times on the spot. The best and longest I've seen is the one during Man in the Mirror on the Live in Bucharest video (although I know that it was edited in from a different concert). The precision of that one was so perfect. Also the one during Moonwalker (in the blue shirt). I think that spin was even faster than the Bucharest one.

However all the other MITM performances I've seen he seems to not spin as many times or loses his balance too quickly on them which shows that it's obviously quite a difficult thing to pull off perfectly. Hence I wanna ask if anyone knows of more footage of him doing some crazy long spins in other performances. As an aside, the MITM performance from Moonwalker which is split between two performances, is there footage out there of the entire performance where he's wearing the blue shirt? I think that was the Liverpool concert? Would love to see that.

He does two great spins in the Motown 25 performance.

I always think of the great spins in the Wiz. Especially with those shoes he had to wear. :)

I'll have to say as snake said... MITM Bucharest spin.. and some other MITM are also beyond incredible.. no one can duplicate it

There is nothing better than seeing Michael spin and fall on his knees. That's why MITM will always remain my favourite live MJ number. The Bucharest spin is incredible.

ps does anyone know when was the last time MJ did a spin and fell on his knees? I can't recall him doing that particular move after the Dangerous tour.

Since the obvious ones have already been mentioned, I'll say the first spin he did with nsync. I love his energy/body language during that "performance". The way he stands in the smoke and then walks towards the dancefloor makes you think he's about to fight, haha. :)

Last edited:
ps does anyone know when was the last time MJ did a spin and fell on his knees? I can't recall him doing that particular move after the Dangerous tour.

He did it very few times on the HIStory tour (during Stranger in Moscow). For example Auckland; skip the video below to 4:07.
Unfortunately it's badly captured by the camera.

He did it very few times on the HIStory tour (during Stranger in Moscow). For example Auckland; skip the video below to 4:07.
Unfortunately it's badly captured by the camera.

Oh man, one of my biggest frustrations about a lot of MJ's concert footage, crappy camera angles and terrible editing choices that ruin moments of his dance performances. The end dance sequence of Billie Jean in Bucharest being the worst of all.

The Brisbane Bad tour was the only one that seemed to do it right. Keep the camera on Michael from the front and only occasionally switch to a closeup. But of course the footage released only contains half the show. One day...

The last time I recall that similar type of spin was at the Brit awards in 1996:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJj3iupbnyk

At about 6:27 in the video.?

tumblr_nlbcr1WaG51u9swtwo1_500.gif

The best spin he did was in my living room...

Yeah right, I'd spin and faint! Mike "no that's not how you do it.. you don't fall all the way down just on your knees... Hello? Are you okay? Helloooo?"

One of his best spins is the 2nd spin from MITM in Monza, Italy 1992. Mind bending and jaw dropping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always wonder if This Is It had happened, would Michael have done the spin and fell on his knees at the age of 50? I don't think so.

I always wonder if This Is It had happened, would Michael have done the spin and fell on his knees at the age of 50? I don't think so.

Not sure in loads of threads we make out like 50 is so bloody ancient!!

People run marathons & keep fit right until much later age, plus you have concert tours by much old artists (Springsteen giving 3 hours plus shows, Madonna full massively strenuous world tours, The Rolling Stones etc)

dropping to your knees with intensity like that is different that is a bit different than running marathons. but it's still a point to be made! Especially considering Michael was very light in weight. and of course, knee pads (which he used before) could absorb a lot of the pressure.. than again... the outfit didn't look like it was really suitable for knee pads.. And the last Man In The Mirror we were privileged to see he did not drop to his knees... than again lol! it looked like in the United We Stand Concert he did ie pics of him on his knees.. but who knows how that drop (if so) was..

So that long answer made short... none of us know! lol

Not sure in loads of threads we make out like 50 is so bloody ancient!!

People run marathons & keep fit right until much later age, plus you have concert tours by much old artists (Springsteen giving 3 hours plus shows, Madonna full massively strenuous world tours, The Rolling Stones etc)

Yeah but none of that involves a man spinning at a fast velocity and falling mid air on his knees without knee pads. Age is very much a factor when it comes to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^ He usually didn't, there were instances he wore kneepads over the pants while performing Dirty Diana and that's about it..

Does anybody know Michael's maximum number of rotations ever done in a single spin?

Back