Price Of Fame Potential

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
I listened to this song again this morning and it struck me how strong this song is. I've always loved it but there's something about that is extra special. I remember when it came out on Bad 25 and how addicted I was to this song, so as much I loved it my judgement was clouded, but nearly 5 years on I still think this song is astonishing. Some of the writing in this is some of Michael's most personal, other than maybe Michael McKellar, I doubt there is a song in the vault this highly personal. It's a really glimpse into his life.

The one thing most reviewers of the Bad album said was, there's no Billie Jean, there's no cornerstone of the album (personally I think this made Bad a stronger record but still) I believe that Price Of Fame could have been that song. I'm not saying as good as Billie Jean but it's got the flavour right, the mix needed work.

Hopefully there's a more completed version in the vault but I doubt it, but I would love to hear how Mike and Quincy would have moulded this tune. Personally the third verse could do with a slight touch up, if nothing else push the vocals more central so it's easier to understand. Maybe replace the instrumental break with a bass guitar solo although I do like the solo that's there now.

For the most part though it's all there. You have
A strong hook
Tension building bridge (Billie Jean comes to mind)
The addictive rhythm
Storytelling style lyrics (amazing by the way)
Killer adlibs (My father never lies, when I first heard that it cut deep)

Sorry this is a long post :cheeky: I adore this song and I'm interested to see what everyone else's thoughts are.

Side note, wouldn't it be boss if someone took some of the vocals from the pepsi version and added them into the song
(You gotta dream, you've got to follow it now, wherever it may go)

I never thought Price Of Fame was as great as some fans make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love still love it, and think it's awesome. But I think Al Capone, Abortion Papers and Free are much better songs.

I never thought Price Of Fame was as great as some fans make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I love still love it, and think it's awesome. But I think Al Capone, Abortion Papers and Free are much better songs.

I disagree. Al Capone, while decent, is clearly a demo, as is Free. POF sounds great and complete. It is the best out of the "new" stuff on Bad25

Is it bad that I am not so much a fan of it? Like Matty said, it is OK as a bonus track on an anniversary release but I can see why it did not end up on Bad. Same for Abortion Papers (which I also feel is a bit overrated by fans).

As simple as it is, my fave unreleased track from Bad 25 is probably Free. Maybe MJ's cute laugh at the end makes me biased for that track.

But my fave Bad outtake is probably Cheater followed by Streetwalker.

Agree, no outtake from Bad I've heard deserved a place on such a so near perfect album.

Streetwalker is the nearest. And I think that would have taken APOMs place which is possibly my favourite Bad track so very glad that didn't make it!

The potential is there but Don't Be Messin Round and Abortion Papers both had bigger potentials.

Thanks for killing my Price Of Fame dreams guys :rofl:

I agree no outtakes we've heard are good enough to make the BAD album but imagine Michael worked on some of these unpolished gems. He was on fire during the Bad sessions.

Looking back at the 6 demos we got on BAD 25, I realise how lucky we were to get them

I definitely wish some of those Bad 25 extra tracks were finished. I think they really do add something to this period of Michael Jackson's output but in their current form just sound so...thin and electronic.

Price Of Fame doesn't have a strong enough chorus for me though I do like it. Abortion Papers and I'm So Blue for me are the strongest, and Al Capone were it a bit fuller lyrically.

Still, MJ may have used Price Of Fame in the Pepsi ads right? What's the story behind it not being used in the end? Anyone know? Out of the 6 tracks it's the only one that nearly made it out.

I like the song but I agree with the others ,there were much stronger songs.

Price of Fame sounds very familiar.If Billie Jean and Who is it had a baby it'd be Price of fame lol

I like the song but I agree with the others ,there were much stronger songs.

Price of Fame sounds very familiar.If Billie Jean and Who is it had a baby it'd be Price of fame lol

But they'd claim the kid is not their son.

Al Capone and Smooth Criminal could not live in the same world to me.. They are too similar in many regards. And if I'm picking one, Smooth Criminal!

There are a few tracks that (if finished) could have gotten some good attention; however I think from what we've heard, the album was chosen at it's best.. If I am considering album flow/cemetery, theme, and all (from my understanding) that should be considered of what songs are selected.. The album as is was the best choice..

There are a few tracks they could have re-used for a later album.. There's just not a track on Bad that I can see swap out a song for one that we've heard that was left off..

I still think (maayyybe) my favorite two demos that were left off of Bad were the first two we heard Streetwalker and Cheater.. maybe! agh IDK

Back