Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael - King of pop title. ? =)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael - King of pop title. ? =)

Hi There =)

Why was Michael called the King Of Pop ?

Thank's

From MJ4.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Michael - King of pop title. ? =)

According to John Branca, Michael wasn't too happy during the mid-80s with his "Gloved One" moniker, while Elvis was referred to as "The King" and Bruce Springsteen was "The Boss." He felt that it was a belittling term rather than an endearing one. Around the time he was working on Dangerous, I guess they both came up with the idea of him being referred to as the 'King of Pop' as in the king of pop music. In 1989, Elizabeth Taylor introduced him during an award ceremony as the 'King of Pop, Rock, and Soul,' and during the promotion of Dangerous around that time, Michael's management insisted that networks refer to him as the 'King of Pop' when playing his new short films. This lead to some folks in the media suggesting that he was the 'self-proclaimed King of Pop.' But of course, history has proven that the name stuck because he fully deserved it and not because it was some publicity stunt.

Although some may question why Michael went out of his way to suggest that title in the first place, personally I think it was a masterful move because if it were left up to the media, they would have stripped him of any honorable title. Michael wanted to make sure that he would go down in history the way he deserved to and that his work and career were on par with the legends that came before him. That's why career retrospective programs that came out every few years since the Bad era, where in my opinion, a very wise strategic move because it reaffirmed to the public what his achievements were, something that would otherwise have been lost because of the media's insistence on pushing him aside and belittling what he had become.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 1,671 Posts

Additionally, the first time he was called 'King of Pop' was in a newspaper headline back in 1984. Can't remember the newspaper though.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HIStoric For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    Additionally, the first time he was called 'King of Pop' was in a newspaper headline back in 1984. Can't remember the newspaper though.
    Yes, HIStoric, there was a newspaper headline from that year (as I remember, it was posted on a Web site — maybe, even on this board or another one similar to it, I’m not sure, exactly), that referred to Michael as, “The King of Pop.” There were other references to him in various different newspapers, magazines, etc., around the world, at that time. He was known by many different names and nicknames in the media, over the course of his career — his best known ones having been used to refer to him, especially, since the success of “Thriller,” and during every one of his eras, thereafter. He didn’t mention whether or not he either liked or disliked those other nicknames, really, except for the one especially derogatory name he absolutely hated to be called, with a passion.

That a headline from a newspaper would designate Michael Jackson as “The King of Pop” years before he ever knew of such a term just proves that he didn’t refer to himself as such, all of a sudden, in the Late-1980’s to Early-1990’s. This was also long before his good friend, Elizabeth Taylor, very publicly called him “The King of Pop, Rock AND Soul” (with special emphasis on the word, “and”), when introducing him to the audience during an award show. He has since credited her with having been the first one to call him that, while never, ever, at any time insisting on his own that any of the media do so. That story is false, in its assumption about him designating himself.
    Last edited by GGVVGGCC22331122; 08-05-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HIStoric View Post
    This it?

The humble King/Emperor of all music and entertainment, AKA The Greatest entertainer of all time, The standard, and Your faves fave.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pink Diamond Princess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,034 Posts

I though he said in the OW interview that the fans stared to say King Of Pop is that how it stared?

Another Part Of Me Michael You Will Always Be In My Heart.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJ4 View Post
    Hi There =)

Why was Michael called the King Of Pop ?

Thank's

From MJ4.
    In the 80s, after the Thriller mega success, a few mags titled him as King of Music, King of Albums... and so on, but NYPost in 1984 nailed it FIRST! Long before Liz Taylor names MJ as the King of Pop, Rock and Soul in 1989 at AMA

Last edited by ILoveHIStory; 09-05-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 945
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,662 Posts

My personal belief is that the paper posted it first... Mike saw that and helped it stick!! may or may have not asked Liz to say the words on the award show.. from there takes that, uses imagery in footage etc.. next thing you know the label sticks..
    **He lives forever within us**

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Diamond Princess View Post
    This it?
    Yep, that's the one!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HIStoric For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJack View Post
    According to John Branca, Michael wasn't too happy during the mid-80s with his "Gloved One" moniker, while Elvis was referred to as "The King" and Bruce Springsteen was "The Boss." He felt that it was a belittling term rather than an endearing one. Around the time he was working on Dangerous, I guess they both came up with the idea of him being referred to as the 'King of Pop' as in the king of pop music. In 1989, Elizabeth Taylor introduced him during an award ceremony as the 'King of Pop, Rock, and Soul,' and during the promotion of Dangerous around that time, Michael's management insisted that networks refer to him as the 'King of Pop' when playing his new short films.
    Bob Jones, MJ's longtime publicist from 1987 to 2004, claimed that he was him (rather than John Branca & MJ) who came up with the idea of him being referred to as the 'King of Pop' (in the late 80’s).

So, Bob Jones had also to make several strategic moves in order for MJ to be established with that title.

I put the words in the speech for Quincy to refer to Michael as ‘the King of Pop’ – a title I had bestowed upon him because Michael had wanted a moniker like Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra and Elvis. In fact, I was the one who got Liz Taylor to introduce him at the Soul Train Awards in 1989 as ‘the King of Pop, Rock and Soul’. Anyway, on this particular night, Quincy read my ghost-written speech, but left out the ‘King Of Pop’ part. Michael was furious” (Bob Jones)

Bob Jones also released press releases which stated that MJ had to be called ‘the King Of Pop’ (thic can be corroborated by various executives at that time, such as Larry Stessel from Epic Records).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Bob Jones, MJ's longtime publicist from 1987 to 2004, claimed that he was him (rather than John Branca & MJ) who came up with the idea of him being referred to as the 'King of Pop' (in the late 80’s).

So, Bob Jones had also to make several strategic moves in order for MJ to be established with that title.

I put the words in the speech for Quincy to refer to Michael as ‘the King of Pop’ – a title I had bestowed upon him because Michael had wanted a moniker like Bruce Springsteen, Frank Sinatra and Elvis. In fact, I was the one who got Liz Taylor to introduce him at the Soul Train Awards in 1989 as ‘the King of Pop, Rock and Soul’. Anyway, on this particular night, Quincy read my ghost-written speech, but left out the ‘King Of Pop’ part. Michael was furious” (Bob Jones)

Bob Jones also released press releases which stated that MJ had to be called ‘the King Of Pop’ (thic can be corroborated by various executives at that time, such as Larry Stessel from Epic Records).
    But still, there is the 1984 NYP article with the exact title - KING OF POP, so Bob Jones is almost irrelevant here, only if he read the article and adopted the idea.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveHIStory For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,322 Posts

It might have been in the newspaper first, but that's not what made it stick, it was when Liz Taylor said it on the award show. Then the fans started calling him king of pop after that, and that's how it spread, not because of the newspaper. The newspaper is more irrelevant than when Liz said it

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveHIStory View Post
    In the 80s, after the Thriller mega success, a few mags titled him as King of Music, King of Albums... and so on, but NYPost in 1984 nailed it FIRST! Long before Liz Taylor names MJ as the King of Pop, Rock and Soul in 1989 at AMA
    It wasn't at AMA, it was at the Soul Train Music Awards
    Last edited by Michaels Lover; 11-05-2017 at 05:04 PM.

I am extremely devoted to Michael Jackson

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    It might have been in the newspaper first, but that's not what made it stick, it was when Liz Taylor said it on the award show. Then the fans started calling him king of pop after that, not the newspaper. The newspaper is more irrelevant than when Liz called him king of pop
    Its not about what made it stick, but when the title was used for the very very first time!
    Liz made it popular, known and let people know about the title worldwide

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveHIStory For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 945
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,662 Posts

where it came from, who pushed it... To me, all that matters is it was MORE than deserved!
    **He lives forever within us**

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,564 Times in 3,740 Posts

I found another newspaper when Michael was deposed for "plagiarizing" The Girl Is Mine in 1984 . Self proclaimed, my ass!

The reigning King of Pop!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow White luvs Peter Pan For This Useful Post: