SONG OF THE WEEK - Another Part Of Me

I.LOVE.THIS.SONG sooo much!

It is my secret favourite song from the BAD album: My brain says "No, it isnĀ“t!" but my guts say "Yes, b****, it is!" :lol:

The lyrics mean very much to me
The melody and rhythm are pure joy
Michael is pure joy performing it
It is pure joy to watch Michael performing it

I could go on :lol:

Another Part Of Me is possibly my favourite 80's MJ track. I could listen to it until the cows come home, still listen to it whilst milking the cows, feed the cows, give them a clean, then put them out in the field and I'd still be listening to it.

It is just so damn funky, and fun, and joyous. I can't sit still listening to it especially the live at Wembley version. Like others have said, a perfect live performance. No gimmicks, no tricks, no other dancers no elaborate choreography - just MJ strutting around doing his stuff.

It shouldn't be as good as it is - but it is amazing.

Oh and nice message too - very relevant in 2017.

Whenever I'm making the case that MJ was the best live performer and entertainer of all time, this video, and Heartbreak Hotel from Yokohama, is the video I present. It didn't matter if he couldn't play a thousand instruments on stage or if he had pyrotech or silly gimmicks or overbloated choreographies.. All he needed was a stage, a mic and a stand and an audience and he would set the stage on fire.

Last edited:
It's weird in a way, because although its very popular with the fans, APOM feels a little forgotten about compared to many of the other tracks on Bad. I never hear it played on the radio, like I hear TWYMMF, MITM, SC and the title track. I even heard Leave Me Alone on the radio the other day, but I don't think I've ever head APOM getting played.

And it was never included on any of the Greatest Hits albums, possibly because MJ still favoured Streetwalker (lunacy I know)?

It's creepy,just when i was reading this they played the song on the radio o_O

Here in Germany they play more of his nineties stuff actually (Earth Song,They Don't Care About Us,Black Or White...)

I honestly LOVE and prefer much more the live version over the album's. The music sounds a lot better and Michael's vocals and dancing are absolute perfection.

You can't touch him!
3121894.gif

Another-Part-of-Me-michael-jackson-22730960-300-200.gif

tumblr_mef8hwBZpn1rlnhvlo1_r1_500.gif

And while we are at it: can somebody tell me what is "a rather nation"? LOL.

Well, I guess that depends on where you get the lyrics from. The same verse that opens with the words you mentioned, one website also ends it with "We're mean is you", which obviously doesn't make any sense either. On genius.com, I've sound far more reasonable assumptions about Michael's legendary pronunciation and most particular appropriation of English :lol:

A revelation
Fulfill the truth
The final message
We'll bring to you
There is no danger
Fulfill the truth
So come together
We need you

I'll have to listen to the song properly to make sure, but this option definitely sounds far more plausible. And btw of the song, it is incredibly infectious, so full of energy, sunshine and life. Love it to bits. Just the other week I was blasting out the extended version on the highway and lovin' every minute of it. Not to mention that the sun was piercing through the clouds matching the spirit of the song brilliantly. Don't even get me started on the video and his royal hotness struttin' his stuff all over that stage........:wub2:

Last edited:
I know the official video of the live performance has more frantic fans but I'd rather enjoy more the ones where the camera focuses 100% in Michael. I adore his smile in Kansas and how he has to pause to zip his pants. :giggle: :girl_aww:

respect77;4194441 said:
And while we are at it: can somebody tell me what is "a rather nation"? LOL.

OMG, yes! IĀ“ve been asking this myself ever since I READ the lyrics lol

While searching for more reliable lyrics, I found THIS:

Misheard Lyrics:

You want another quarter man.
Original Lyrics:

Your just another part of me.

and ...

Misheard Lyrics:

This is a train,
you want a bus

Original Lyrics:

This is our planet,
you're one of us

see: www.amiright.com/misheard/song/anotherpartofme.shtml

:busted:

I love Another Part Of Me!!
The funky riff, the vocals, the live performances /short film
It's Michael exploring his James Brown influence propelling it and making it classic Mike with a strong hook and message.

“As a producer, this is the song [“Another Part Of Me”]. I just admire the instrumentation. It’s so funky, and it’s got instruments doing these intricate patterns, and it doesn’t have a chorus-chorus. It’s the setup. That’s the best pre-chorus ever written. And then the pay off is “it’s just another part of me.” This song shows why Michael Jackson is the king.” – Bruno Mars.

I've got a lot of respect for Bruno, he hit the ail on the head here.

Watching Michael perform this song, never fails to bring a smile to my face. "This is my plan baby!!" Love that bit

Can't be bothered to check, but does anybody know whether that Wembley performance from the music video is the same show as the one on the Live In Wembley DVD released with Bad25?

The audio was from a different show however the music video contains footage of all the Wembley concerts. I believe the audio from the video was from the concert where he used a black mic instead of silver.

What's weird is that on the Bad 25 documentary they edited together a completely different cut of the performance using footage from all the Wembley shows as well. Not sure what audio they used for that but why they didn't just use the music video instead of recutting the entire thing is confusing.

What about "all around the nation"? - in Michaels very special pronunciation:D

I've always thought it was this! Never doubted it.

Also love how on the live version he amends it to a personal pronoun.

I'M sending out a major love
This is MY message to you

I love how MJ sings ''You're just another pwart of me'' on the album version.

While searching for more reliable lyrics, I found THIS:

Misheard Lyrics:

You want another quarter man.
Original Lyrics:

Your just another part of me.

and ...

Misheard Lyrics:

This is a train,
you want a bus

Original Lyrics:

This is our planet,
you're one of us

see: www.amiright.com/misheard/song/anotherpartofme.shtml

:busted:

These lyrics from that site (www.amiright.com/misheard) are not really misheard lyrics, but they are intended to make fun of the original ones. It is pretty obvious.

That site does these changes solely for the sake of parody (despite its claims to the contrary) & this applies to songs from other artists as well.

I also noticed that it deliberately changes the original lyrics to fake ("misheard") ones giving them mostly sexual connotations. That site is really a waste of time.

So positive and upbeat, I just love it.

A bouncy pop melody, pure fun and perfection, a total cheer up song.

Another reason why Bad is such a great album in every way

And its bringing brighter days!

I love the version on Captain EO too, it has some of his best Aowws!!! as well.

Another Part of Me almost never gets any spins on my iTunes playlist, and I'm ashamed. I'm never truly compelled to listen to it, but whenever it comes on I'm reminded how excellent it is. Everything from the production to the lyricism to the arrangements to the instrumentation to Michael's vocals is a home run.

It still surprises me that Michael preferred Streetwalker. Great tune, but APOM wins by a country mile.

Nooooo ! I should not have read this thread. I still love it, but somehow, I always thought the music video was a live performance. Turns out it contains several performances. How could I have missed the black microphone ? I should have used wikipedia. :(

I will not stop listening to it on my phone. The intro gives me goosebumps. "Paow ! Oooooh !"

Last edited:
Love this song, over the years it has become one of my favorites. Very funky bassline and rhythm guitar (a similar lick is played at the end of Al Capone too), but also has some real cool synth lines and textures - a combo MJ always excelled in.

I find the live version less impressive than the album version (am not a huge fan of the Bad Tour band sound), but it does have that fantastic funky coda at the end - I wish there was an extended studio version that contained this too.

This is also one song for which I would love to have the demo in high quality. I heard a version that was slightly different from the Captain EO demo at Brad Sundberg's seminar and it was amazing - the rawness and prominence of the bass made it extra funky. The dub mix that's out is great too.

Quincy gets a lot of flak for not digging Smooth Criminal (and the long Billie Jean intro), but he was 100% right when it came to picking APOM over Streetwalker!

Can someone explain the lyrics to me?

The sense I get is Mike is on "team good" and is "taking over" evil or something, and that his 'people' are just another part of him, or something. I have never really understood this song.

I hope someone is able to give a satisfying answer to this question @xam

I've always loved the vibe of the vocals and he lyrics because of the positivity and optimism they carry.

"We"re sending out a major love"

- is one the best lines in any song period.

"this is our planet, you're one of us"
- brings different cultures and religions together, breaks racial barriers (in reality it is the opposite but hey it's a positivity song)

"The planets are linin' up
We're bringin' brighter days
They're all in line waitin' for you"

- how cool is this?

The other lines I honestly don't know what he had in mind, someone intelligent should offer his opinion on this.

Can someone explain the lyrics to me?

The sense I get is Mike is on "team good" and is "taking over" evil or something, and that his 'people' are just another part of him, or something. I have never really understood this song.
The other lines I honestly don't know what he had in mind, someone intelligent should offer his opinion on this.
You have to keep in mind that apom was written for Captain EO.

It's about humanity united in love of course. With a sci-fi edge. Just like DSTYGE and the Force.

Back