Chris Cornell, Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman dead at 52

The cause of death makes Chris' passing even sadder! I just can say thankyou for the music, Soundgarden and Audioslave! Probably he was depressed.

Singer Chris Cornell hanged himself, medical examiner says
By Madison Park, Keith Allen and Andreas Preuss, CNN

Updated 6:52 PM ET, Thu May 18, 2017
Chris Cornell dead at 52

Chris Cornell dead at 52 00:54
Story highlights
Cornell's body was found on bathroom floor, police department says

(CNN)Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, hanged himself, the Wayne County (Michigan) Medical Examiner's Office announced Thursday in a statement.

The cause of death has been determined as suicide by hanging, the statement said, adding that a "full autopsy report has not yet been completed."
Cornell, 52,died Wednesday night after performing in Detroit.

A family friend called 911 around midnight Thursday after he went to check on Cornell and found the musician "unresponsive" on the bathroom floor at the MGM Grand hotel, Detroit police spokesman Michael Woody said. Emergency medical personnel arrived, and Cornell was pronounced dead at the scene, he said.
Chris Cornell ended the last performance of his life with a song about death.

Cornell was in Detroit performing with Soundgarden on a US tour that kicked off last month. His passing was "sudden and unexpected," his representative, Brian Bumbery, said in a statement to CNN.
"His wife Vicky and family were shocked to learn of his sudden and unexpected passing, and they will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause," the statement read. "They would like to thank his fans for their continuous love and loyalty and ask that their privacy be respected at this time."
The Grammy-winning rocker had performed Wednesday night at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. He ended his performance with a cover of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."
with Soundgarden on a US tour that kicked off last month. His passing was "sudden and unexpected," his representative, Brian Bumbery, said in a statement to CNN.
"His wife Vicky and family were shocked to learn of his sudden and unexpected passing, and they will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause," the statement read. "They would like to thank his fans for their continuous love and loyalty and ask that their privacy be respected at this time."
The Grammy-winning rocker had performed Wednesday night at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. He ended his performance with a cover of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/entertainment/chris-cornell-dead/index.html

What a horrible news to log on to.........I'm incredibly shocked and saddened by this, so unexpected. I loved his work with Audioslave, and some of his solo songs have been truly special for me. May his soul find repose and may his family find some comfort during this most trying of times.

His wife has issued a statement in which she raises questions about the use of prescription drugs and how they may have affected him and pushed him over the edge http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornells-wife-issues-statement-w483179 Sadly, this kind of correlation is not uncommon. Drugs which are supposed to cure people from anxiety or depression have as plainly written and legally accepted side effects......suicidal thoughts. I realize that many find them helpful and get to carry on because of them, but plenty of others have also been led to doom.

Everyone who battles despair is very close to my heart and I feel most for those, like Chris, who lose the battle against the greatest form of misery and darkness in this world - the one where you find no other way out of agony but death. Whether by his own will or under the nefarious influence of pills, Chris Cornell's death is a tragedy. May God have mercy on his soul and his mourning family.

Last edited:
I was so shocked about this. I was a huge huge Audioslave fan. Back in school, they pretty much defined the sound for a large group of my friends from our senior cycle onwards. Their debut album is still absolutely sensational. Such a powerful and beautiful voice. Im lucky to have seen them play in 2005. I was never into Soundgarden or the grunge scene, but Chris did Spoonman and Black Hole Sun acoustic at the show and they were gorgeous.

It's heartbreaking to see suicide was the cause. This is such a plague. In Ireland there has been huge awareness about suicide and a completely different attitude towards it over the last 10 years, but unfortunately it still takes way too many lives. 1 life is too many.

There is a thread on this forum for fans who suffer with depression- I check in there every now and again and just leave a message saying that I am always open to chat to anyone who ever needs an anonymous pal to talk to, and I'm sure most here would feel the same. Just please think to check in on that thread every now and again, you never EVER know how much a couple of words may help someone.

For now, just listen to this song. I can't stop listening to it since he died. Like when Bowie died, all I could think of was When You Rock N Roll With Me. With Chris, it's I am The Highway. It's so sad now. Cheers Chris.

I thought Chris just had child but I learned he left two more children as young as 12 and 13 years old. My heart goes out for them and his wife.

I'd lie if I told I was a huge fan of Soundgarden back in the 90s but I remember listening to their songs back in the day preferring that band over Nirvana even though I didn't know the songs' names because I always thought Chris' voice conveyed more feelings and was more powerful than Kurt's, IMO.

I loved Audioslave as well and I wished they did more music together but obviously it won't be possible anymore. Also, I liked the fact Chris never jumped to the bandwagon of asshole rock musicians who bad-mouthed or said utter BS about Michael; in fact, he covered one of his most famous solo tracks making it his own when it wasn't cool to be associated with MJ.

I obviously believe the original version is unbeatable and untouchable in my eyes but I liked Chris' acoustic cover more than the studio version with electric guitars. What Chris said about the influence Michael had on him and covering Billie Jean:

Michael Jackson Remembered: Chris Cornell on the Power of "Billie Jean"

The main memory I have of Michael Jackson is from when I was a kid. When you're a child and you see another child on TV with other brothers who are basically children — and I had two brothers — and you see what they're doing, and listening to the music they're making, it kind of knocks you out. That was the initial impact, that that was even possible. Especially being a kid from Seattle, where you're nowhere near any sort of media center and have no understanding of that type of popular culture and where it comes from or how it's created. You think it comes from some other planet.
The next thing that had a clear impact was when I was already a musician, probably about 18 years old, and was working in restaurants but was also starting different bands at the time, and was obviously watching MTV all the time, just to see what was on it. I wasn't a fan of most of it. Then, "Thriller" happened, and to see that shift from pretty much an entirely white audience watching an entirely white music channel change because of this one guy — he didn't just get some videos sent there, like me and my friends did on 120 Minutes at 1 a.m. on a Sunday — he took over. His videos were played the same amount Madonna videos were played. I remember the first two, especially, had an amazing energy. "Beat It" was an incredible video. Here is this guy who used to seem so shy and quiet comes out super-aggressive and there's actual gang members in it. It opened the door for Prince and Run-DMC to suddenly be in the living rooms of white people across the nation.

The brilliance of "Billie Jean" came to me when I was reading the lyrics for the first time, which was around the time that I was doing that arrangement, and the idea came from a conversation I had with my wife about the art of the cover song, because she would bring up ideas about songs I should cover, and I would always shoot 'em down, and I would explain the art of it: You can cover a song by an artist you are obviously influenced by and you will reproduce it, paying homage to it, and sticking close to the original. That's one way, the other way is Johnny Cash doing "Rusty Cage," which on paper sounds like the most ridiculous ****ing idea you'll hear in your life. It did to me.

So she sort of challenged me with, what would that song be for you, and I thought well, who would be the least likely artist for me to attempt to cover and the first name that popped into my head was Michael Jackson. I liked "Billie Jean" because it had that little keyboard line in it, which I thought I could turn into an electric guitar line. And it was just embarrassingly awful. When I started reading the lyrics, I realized it's a lament, not a dance track. His moon walking and the video as well, as just the bass line and the beat, took precedence over the meaning. The lyrics are brilliant, and the way that the way the lyrics are put together. The story isn't spoon-fed to you, it's poetic.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-cornell-on-the-power-of-billie-jean-20090709
[video=youtube;R0uWF-37DAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0uWF-37DAM[/video]

Rest in peace, Chris. -- "No one sings like you anymore."

Michael Jackson‏@michaeljackson

RIP Chris Cornell. One of rock’s most passionate voices has left us too soon. Besides his body of work with Soundgarden and Audioslave, Chris is remembered for the haunting, raw power of his unplugged covers of pop music classics including Michael’s iconic “Billie Jean.” Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

[video=youtube;I71ukgaAwWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I71ukgaAwWA[/video]

Chris Cornell Laid to Rest at Private Los Angeles Funeral

By Daniel Kreps May 26, 2016 Rolling Stone
ap_17146769355597-0a0d9b9e-08b2-48d1-8564-5ca1cacccc15.jpg

Chris Cornell was laid to rest Friday at a private ceremony at Los Angeles' Hollywood Forever Cemetery, with Cornell's band mates, celebrity friends, family and grunge peers among those who paid their respects to the Soundgarden singer.

Metallica's James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, Pat Smear and Taylor Hawkins, Pharrell Williams, Krist Novoselic, Nile Rodgers, Courtney Love, Jane's Addiction's Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro and Joe Walsh were among the rockers who attended the funeral, with actors like James Franco, Christian Bale and Brad Pitt also in attendance.

Linkin Park's Chester Bennington performed Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" at the memorial while actor James Brolin, Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament and Cornell's band mates Soundgarden's Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron and Audioslave's Tom Morello delivered eulogies, the Associated Press reports.

The private ceremony began with the cemetery's speakers playing Audioslave's "Like a Stone" as well as Cornell's recent solo song "The Promise." At the conclusion of the funeral, Temple of the Dog's "All Night Thing" accompanied mourners as they exited.
gettyimages-688784780-18f3e8ab-f6e1-4371-82d6-4f60e3d785ff.jpg

The program handed out to attendees featured a Cornell quote, "We are neighbors in a modern world where proximity is relative and the threshold to our hearts moves outside time and space."

Cornell's ashes were reportedly placed next to his friend Johnny Ramone's remains, TMZ reported.

Following the private ceremony, a public memorial service was opened to the fans that congregated outside the cemetery.

These days I find myself listening a lottt to Chris Cornell, especially some recent discoveries, recent for me obviously. One song goes all the way back to 2009......Long gone

The Timbaland version is also very intriguing. From the Scream album I was aware of the Part of me collaboration with Timbaland, which I've always found cool. I now read that some people criticized Chris for having taken such a "strange" turn with his music, but I think his vocal range and willingness to explore many genres are more than laudable ideas anddd accomplishments.

For obvious reasons, the video for Nearly forgot my broken heart has been taken down, but the lyric video is a little work of art in and by itself. It matches the song very, very well. Everything from the lyrics (did me wrong, and it serves me right; trying to take a picture of the sun, it won't help you to see the light) to the building up of the song to his voice, everything about this song is brilliant.

To my shame and regret I completely overlooked Chris' album back in 2015. The truth is that I've purposefully stayed away from musical releases for quite a stretch of time. I remember that the last song I had heard from him was the Seasons tune on the Man of Steel soundtrack in 2013. I wasn't even aware of the movie The Promise for which Chris wrote a song. He really did have a great talent for writing awesome movie scores, didn't he? The Armenian genocide is a theme very close to my heart and I'm very glad to know that a movie has been made about it and so very proud of Chris for having written.....The Promise

He truly was a gentle, sensitive soul full of pain and poetry. His unique voice will forever be missed. His songs have brought comfort and reflection to so many and I am one of them. We truly are in his debt for pouring out his soul on record and sharing it with the world. May God have mercy on him and on his mourning family.

Back