MJ MusicDay in Lille (France) with Brad Buxer & Michael Prince

Gertie

Proud Member
For its very first event, the Association On The Line gives you the opportunity to meet musical director Brad Buxer and sound engineer Michael Prince who were both close collaborative partners and friends with the King of Pop.

This exceptional and first-of-its-kind visit in France will lead you through Michael Jackson’s music at its most intimate.
Thanks to live interactive translation, you will hear plenty of unique anecdotes about his songs, personality and life.

You will also experience the HIStory Tour from behind-the-scenes and discover the secrets of the Jackson sound with the exclusive preview of « King of Sound », a documentary by Gareth Maynard about Bruce Swedien.
More than a master-class or a conference, this will be a genuine opportunity to share a friendly moment and talk to those men who were very special to Michael Jackson.
Authors Brice Najar, Isabelle Petitjean and Hector Barjot will also be there along with other Jackson exhibitors.

Depending on the option you choose, the program of the day will go as follow starting at 2 pm :
- meeting and interviews of the authors
- meeting and interview of Gareth Maynard followed by the preview of his documentary (subtitled in French)
- meeting and interviews of Brad Buxer and Michael Prince (including personal and studio anecdotes, never-heard before demos or tracks)
At 7:30 pm (approx) :
- Meet & Greet with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince
- Private cocktail with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince
- Music Dinner with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince

At the venue, you will find exhibitors stalls, drinks & snacks and MJ MusicDay memorabilia.

You can also book a room (breakfast included) at the Mercure Hotel and get a discounted price.

http://www.mjmusicday.com/

18582309_445246529185080_1758825465387697813_n.png

So glad to present you with the MJ MusicDay teaser with our guests, Michael Prince and Brad Buxer. The musical director on both the Dangerous and the HIStory tours sends you a message and looks forward to see you in Lille, France !

Wow!! Is anyone going? What an amazing opportunity! So jealous of those who live close enough to attend!!!

UGH! This looks like a dream event! I hope someone here manages to go so they can share the experience :)

Anyone who lives in England, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium can easily travel to North Of France to attend the event.
The French people who organize it have chosen the city of Lille on purpose so that european fans can come and meet Brad Buxer & Michael Prince.
There will also be a preview of "King Of Sound", a British documentary about Bruce Swedien.

Bruce Swedien is really the oposite of Quincy Jones regarding his statements to Michael.

What is the name of the song at the end of the teaser ?!
\

What is the name of the song at the end of the teaser ?!
\

Michael sang this part just after his speech during MJ & Friends in South Korea. :love:

Our guest, Brad Buxer, has a message for you!

"I think it's going to be an amazing event. I'm very comfortable doing these kind of things by now.
I knew him better than anyone else in the world and I think it's a way for the audience to get as close to him as possible."

It is not only the musical partner who speaks, but also a close friend of Michael Jackson who spent more time in Neverland than any other collaborator.
At MJ MusicDay, you can ask him about the artist but also about the man.
"Will you be there?"

22448544_512603925782673_5151884259154901923_n.jpg

22491813_512604442449288_6703315687264329839_n.jpg

22406487_512604539115945_2271312332289346905_n.jpg

Only Michael Prince and Brad Buxer know what they will play, so yes we will listen to some stuff...

New message from Thomas Bähler :

[video=youtube;1wqxZASph94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wqxZASph94[/video]

Gertie;4210902 said:
Only Michael Prince and Brad Buxer know what they will play, so yes we will listen to some stuff...

New message from Thomas Bähler :

[video=youtube;1wqxZASph94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wqxZASph94[/video]

Please take lots of detailed notes.

Soooooooooo apparently attendees heard "Shut Up and Dance".

You know I've gotta ask about it.

If anyone here has heard it, a rundown would be greatly appreciated!

Really, how do you know??? Please share what you know whoeever has been there.
How does it sound? Was it the most recent version you heard? When was it last worked on? How complete is it in terms of instruments and vocals? Who wrote/produced it? Any plans to release it?

I was there. the part with Brad and Michael Prince was nice. But I expected much more to be honest. The whole event started around 2pm and ended around 10pm. But Brad and Michael Prince only spoke for 2,5 hours (well, actually only Brad spoke, Michael Prince was more or less only "assisting" him). They showed a few parts of different multitracks but most times Brad played his keyboard live to the multitrack. That was kind of annoying. And they played some multitracks and added all the steams step by step so they actually sounded exactly like the original CD version in the end.

In the end they played 2 "unreleased" songs: 1. Days in Gloucestershire and 2. Shut up and dance. First, I think it is a big joke that they let people extra pay for this "unreleased" part of the event because they play DiG which leaked YEARS ago and every fan of course knows this song already. Second, shut up and dance was not with Michael`s voice but only with a similar sounding voice. You really didnt miss anything about this. The sound and bass was TOO heavy and too loud (I guess because they want to avoid that people record it) and the song was okay but still, MJ did never sing the song.

Generally speaking the whole event was about french people talking french to international people. Most people (who are not french) dont speak french at all and didnt understand 80% of the whole event. They made many breaks and wanted people to go to the little fan/collector shops to spend money or buy the books from the book writers who spoke for about 1 hour in french on the stage.

All in all the only mentionable parts are: 1. Brad/Michael Prince speaking (even though they didnt show any new material or unreleased stuff from MJ, neither audio nor video), 2. the documention about Bruce Swedien (which was quite nice), 3. a live phone call with Bruce Swedien where you could ask him questions, 4. Meet and Greet with Brad/Michael Prince for photos and autographs

Again, most annoying is that every single sentense from Brad/Michael Prince was translated to French very detailled (!). This slowed down the whole event a lot. Brad/Michael Prince could have talked much much more if they could have spoken non stop. But the breaks after every 3 sentences were just annoying. Come on, everyone speaks english. The average age was maybe mid 30 years. But I guess this is a typical french thing. Either french or nothing ^^ Yes, they are proud to be french. This the fanclub should have told before. I dont regret going there but I definately would not do it again because of the language thing.

One advice: Dont expect any unreleased unheard exciting new material on such events anymore. Probably all the Brads and Michaels are too scared now that people record it and put it on Youtube or sell it even in low quality. I wont travel for such an event anymore. It is not worth it if you are more or less only interested in new material. maybe the Estate is also threatening them so they dont play new songs anymore. And the multitracks.. well, nice to hear, but only short snippets and mostly with one of them talking in between or playing keyboard ^^

All in all 4/10 points from my side.

Last edited:
Thank you, Gianni, for being there and for your account of the event.
I am actually the person who did the translation from English to French so I am going to make a few things clearer.

First, the concept of Brad Buxer playing keyboard live to the multitracks is his own thing, that he already presented at Brad Sundberg's seminars in Germany and in Los Angeles. He requested Michael Prince to be on his side to play multitracks or other material (that you didn't mention...) since he can't do it himself while playing keyboards.

Second, the 2 "unreleased" songs were their own choice once again. "Days In Gloucestershire" was played in much better sound quality that the leaked version on the internet. The other song "Shut Up and Dance" is a demo that Michael Jackson liked a lot. It's pretty interesting to realize that he would ask soundalike singers to sing this kind of stuff.

Regarding the "whole French thing", I think you are exaggerating it a little. The documentary and the director's talk and phone conversation with Bruce Swedien were in English. Plus Brad Buxer and Michael Prince's conference. Of course, this had to be translated into French because most French people there and more generally speaking in France DON'T speak English ! Believe me, I've been an English teacher for more than 15 years now and that's reality !

About the breaks, they were made for the Meet & Greet sessions where 75 people had to go in and get their pictures and items signed. That's why we had to split them into 3 groups. So yes, other people had time to go through the collectors shops if they wanted to.

The French writers talk at the beginning of the event was not translated into English on purpose in order not to waste more time. Their books are also in English so you could have a look during that talk. Plus they were among the staff and never took time to sell their own books : they were too busy dealing with the Meet & Greet sessions and letting people go out then in again and having their phones unlocked and locked again.

Regarding the "langage thing" as you say, think about it and imagine French people not understanding anything that was said in English, just like you found annoying the part that was only in French. We actually tried to take everybody into consideration (people from different parts of Europe and the world) and make them enjoy the event at its most ! Sorry if that wasn't the case for you... Honestly, we just tried and did our best.

Hey, thanks for your feedback. Please see my opinion below:

Thank you, Gianni, for being there and for your account of the event.
I am actually the person who did the translation from English to French so I am going to make a few things clearer.

First, the concept of Brad Buxer playing keyboard live to the multitracks is his own thing, that he already presented at Brad Sundberg's seminars in Germany and in Los Angeles. He requested Michael Prince to be on his side to play multitracks or other material (that you didn't mention...) since he can't do it himself while playing keyboards.

OK, please dont see my complaining against you here. Of course this is in Brad's hands. But still a little annoying ;) I think I am talking for most of the audience here :)

Second, the 2 "unreleased" songs were their own choice once again. "Days In Gloucestershire" was played in much better sound quality that the leaked version on the internet. The other song "Shut Up and Dance" is a demo that Michael Jackson liked a lot. It's pretty interesting to realize that he would ask soundalike singers to sing this kind of stuff.

Also in Brad's/Michael Prince's hands but some other people from the audience also said that they know the songs since years and the second song was nice but not a MJ song. It was a song written for MJ with another voice. Big difference. I think most people expected much more for this part of the event.

Regarding the "whole French thing", I think you are exaggerating it a little. The documentary and the director's talk and phone conversation with Bruce Swedien were in English. Plus Brad Buxer and Michael Prince's conference. Of course, this had to be translated into French because most French people there and more generally speaking in France DON'T speak English ! Believe me, I've been an English teacher for more than 15 years now and that's reality !

Yes, the documentary and the phone call was in english. And both really nice. I am really wondering about the english skills of the french people. I have been a lot of times in France during my whole life and I often noticed it. Still weird ;) And sad! Especially the event could have been with much more information from Bad and Michael Prince. And their english was not that difficult to understand. I am also not native speaking english, but this was really easy to understand. But I know its very subjective.

About the breaks, they were made for the Meet & Greet sessions where 75 people had to go in and get their pictures and items signed. That's why we had to split them into 3 groups. So yes, other people had time to go through the collectors shops if they wanted to.

Yes, I understand it and it made sense.

The French writers talk at the beginning of the event was not translated into English on purpose in order not to waste more time. Their books are also in English so you could have a look during that talk. Plus they were among the staff and never took time to sell their own books : they were too busy dealing with the Meet & Greet sessions and letting people go out then in again and having their phones unlocked and locked again.

Well, at least the "host" of the show spoke very good english. but he never really did. Only some sentenses after a half an hour french talk. And even when he explained the procedure of how the Meet and Greets will be organized he only explained in french until more people asked him to please explain it in english.

Regarding the "langage thing" as you say, think about it and imagine French people not understanding anything that was said in English, just like you found annoying the part that was only in French. We actually tried to take everybody into consideration (people from different parts of Europe and the world) and make them enjoy the event at its most ! Sorry if that wasn't the case for you... Honestly, we just tried and did our best.

I enjoyed the event and really appreciate your work. I can imagine how much stress it must have been for all of you. So thanks again. I really mean it. And I dont regret going there as I said before. But of course the language was a big problem which I did not consider before I bought the ticket. I thought, well 2 american producers come there so the event will be in english. Like in most other countires this would be the case :)

Thanks again. I hope I dont sound offening.

Can anybody recall any lyrics for Shut Up and Dance? Interesting that a soundalike was used.

I am really wondering about the english skills of the french people. I have been a lot of times in France during my whole life and I often noticed it. Still weird ;) And sad! Especially the event could have been with much more information from Bad and Michael Prince. And their english was not that difficult to understand. I am also not native speaking english, but this was really easy to understand. But I know its very subjective.

We agree on that. As I said, we knew that most of the audience would be French and that they would need translation. Many people I know came and thanked me for it in the end. I also thought that it was not that difficult to understand and I tried to keep it "light" but French is not as "straight to the point" as English language.

Well, at least the "host" of the show spoke very good english. but he never really did. Only some sentenses after a half an hour french talk.

Well, believe it or not, he was not feeling that comfortable with speaking English ! You see how tricky this was for us all...

I enjoyed the event and really appreciate your work. I can imagine how much stress it must have been for all of you. So thanks again. I really mean it. And I dont regret going there as I said before. But of course the language was a big problem which I did not consider before I bought the ticket. I thought, well 2 american producers come there so the event will be in english. Like in most other countires this would be the case :)

Thanks again. I hope I dont sound offening.

Again, thank you for coming and appreciating the whole event and work we put in it.
Still, your 4/10 grade doesn't seem quite fair to us. We wouldn't want anyone on MJJ Community to think that the MJ MusicDay was not worth attending.

you are right, i forgot about that. i make it to 7/10 points after your explanations :) . If I spoke french I would give probably 8 out of 10. But this is so subjective like always. I saw your hard work and I can truly imagine all the organization. If I had to rate Brad and Michael Prince it would be less... as I said I think most people expected more than what they showed. Maybe also you all expected more.

Anyone have more info about "Shut Up and Dance" ?
Did Michael recorded any vocals ?
Its a uptempo dance track ?
How about lyrics ? Anyone remember something :) ?

Back