Recreating A Discography - Part One - "HIStory"

Mussum_Forévis

Proud Member
Hey!

Before anything else, i want to apologize for my poor english. It’s not my main language, so… sorry! :)

I’m a MJ fan since I was 5 years old. Now i’m 33, and he’s still the greatest entertainer I have ever heard about. His output as a musician is absolutely fantastic, so, don’t take the things I’m gonna write below as a criticism. It isn’t.

I’ve spent the last days thinking about how his discography would look like if he kept releasing new albums during the 2000’s, post “Invincible” era. Doing so, i’ve started to compilate some Spotify playlists, using material from the official albums plus “The Ultimate Collection”, “Michael” and “Xscape” to recreate his musical output from 1995 until 2008.

“But, why from 1995?”. In fact, i've always thought “HIStory” is an spectacular album, but the “HIStory Begins” part looked a little bit unnecessary. It would have been a more effective album as a single disc. So, that’s where I started. Recreating “HIStory” as a single disc.
With all this recreating thing, I decided to change the albums names and covers, just to keep the whole thing challenging. It looked too much comfortable to use the fantastic titles and cover arts he made. So, I’ve created some others.

With all that said, let’s go to the first installment on this whole thing:

“This Time Around”

01 - “They Don’t Care About Us”
02 - “Stranger In Moscow”
03 - “This Time Around”
04 - “Earth Song”
05 - “D.S.”
06 - “Money”
07 - “You Are Not Alone”
08 - “On The Line”
09 - “History”
10 - “Smile”

Total running time: 53 minutes

Album cover art: http://imgur.com/1P8J1SY

Link to Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/12149238191/playlist/0VDokPuVlOEJBackFDK8Of

And now I got you all screaming “what the hell are you thinking???”, right?

First, the title. “This Time Around” breaks the whole Michael’s thing with the one word title, and I really thought about using “Smile” instead, but it sounded too cliché to my tastes, while “This Time Around” sounded strong and… just right.

Second, “where are “Scream”, and all the missing “HIStory” songs?”. Here we enter on a very personal field, as I think that “HIStory Continues”, with it’s 15 songs and 77 minutes is a little too long. So I tried to make a more concise album, with 10 tracks and 53 minutes. “On The Line”, from “HIStory” recording sessions, deserves some proper album placement, and it sounded right between “You Are Not Alone” and “History”, so there it is.

“And the missing tracks?”. All the 6 disappeared “HIStory” tracks will find their place on the next album and, I hope, it will all make sense.

Album singles are “They Don’t Care About Us”, “Stranger In Moscow”, “This Time Around”, “Earth Song” and “You Are Not Alone”.

For the “This Time Around World Tour”, I decided to shake the setlist a little bit. Here we have the basic list, with songs that would vary from one night to another listed together.

01 - “They Don’t Care Bout Us”
02 - “Remember The Time”
03 - “Rock With You” or “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough”
04 - “Bad”
05 - “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)” or “Baby Be Mine”
06 - “Stranger In Moscow” or “This Time Around”
07 - “Got To Be There” or “We’re Almost There”
08 - “Smooth Criminal”
09 - “Why You Wanna Trip On Me” or “Can’t Let Her Get Away”
10 - “Beat It”
11 - “You Are Not Alone”
12 - “Thriller”
13 - “Keep The Faith” or “On The Line”
14 - “Black Or White”
15 - “Earth Song”
16 - “Billie Jean”
17 - “Heal The World” or “Man In The Mirror”

Tour poster: http://imgur.com/rKHy6B5

We all know that Michael have so much successful singles, but I wanted to create a setlist that would mix the smash hits with some deep album cuts for the more passionate fans. The tour would go from 1995 to the end of 1996, when Michael would rest a little and, then, start his next project, that will come with the next “Recreating” installment.

So what do you guys think? Would that have been a good album? Better or worse than “HIStory”? And the singles and tour setlist choices? Let’s talk.

I hope you all enjoy. That’s all just for fun!

Peace!

Back