When did Michael Joseph Jackson become the standard?

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
This is a legit question I've had for awhile, so here it goes.

When did Michael become the standard that almost all other artists/entertainers are compared to (and want to be like) regardless of their race, gender and/or age?
Did it happen at a certain time that can be pinpointed, was it a gradual build, did it happen after the release of an album, and if so which one?
What were some of the first artists/entertainers compared to him (thus helping to make him the standard)?

I need answers LOL.:lol:

Also, don't you think it's great/amazing that Michael IS STILL the standard years after his death and after media slander?:D

Last edited:
I don't know.

I don't really think they use him as a standard in reviews or something like that.

It's more like "XXXX is the new King of Pop" - or "XXX is the new Michael Jackson" - so in that sense they compare artist to MJ - MJ being the best.

As long as they are refering to MJ as the best it can be it's OK with me, but it annoys me when they say - the new MJ, or new King of Pop etc.

I don't know.

I don't really think they use him as a standard in reviews or something like that.

It's more like "XXXX is the new King of Pop" - or "XXX is the new Michael Jackson" - so in that sense they compare artist to MJ - MJ being the best.

As long as they are refering to MJ as the best it can be it's OK with me, but it annoys me when they say - the new MJ, or new King of Pop etc.

Yeah, I like to see Michael be called the best too, and some comparisons such as the ones you mentioned can be really annoying, but overall when your the standard a lot of other people are going to be compared to you because you're looked at as what they should be, so although they're annoying sometimes the comparisons kind of come with the territory.:yes:

Oh, and trust me, even if they don't use Michael himself in reviews I'd be rich if I had a quarter for every time I've seen an album be compared to Thriller in an album review.:)

I see it in stages.. when a young 11 year old boy sings like that, dances like that, and performs on that level - something that was never seen before.. the comparison begins.. It starts off, if that 11 year old boy can do this, you/I (depending on what perspective we are talking about) becomes a standard to reach..

Than as hit after hit happens what was friendly competition becomes a standard as it grows and breaks records and gets world recognition.

Yeah, I like to see Michael be called the best too, and some comparisons such as the ones you mentioned can be really annoying, but overall when your the standard a lot of other people are going to be compared to you because you're looked at as what they should be, so although they're annoying sometimes the comparisons kind of come with the territory.:yes:

Oh, and trust me, even if they don't use Michael himself in reviews I'd be rich if I had a quarter for every time I've seen an album be compared to Thriller in an album review.:)

Agreed. - and the bold part :lol: so very true!! :lol:

I see it in stages.. when a young 11 year old boy sings like that, dances like that, and performs on that level - something that was never seen before.. the comparison begins.. It starts off, if that 11 year old boy can do this, you/I (depending on what perspective we are talking about) becomes a standard to reach..

Than as hit after hit happens what was friendly competition becomes a standard as it grows and breaks records and gets world recognition.

Great explanation, thanks!:D

He was the standard since day one. Throughout the many stages of his career, he defined the standards for everything he did, from his albums, to music videos (his were short films, but no one else to this day does them like that), to live concert extravaganzas. Since Off the Wall, he was already one of the top premiere artists of his time, but Thriller was when he finally launched himself to the moon and never came back down. That was when he transcended the competition for all time.

Back