Does the Estate not own the Master Recordings at this point?

AlexRox

Proud Member
Does the Estate not own the Master Recordings for Michael's adult solo recordings at this point?

Does the Estate not own the Master Recordings for Michael's adult solo recordings at this point?
So, does anybody know the answer to this question? If you do, please, respond. Thanks in advance. :flowers:

According to this, yes they do. And they own Mijac that owns his publishing.

Sony Buys Michael Jackson's Stake In Lucrative Music Catalog

?

March 15, 20169:59 PM ET

ELIZABETH BLAIR
FacebookTwitter

gettyimages-88694242_wide-f7ae2b9e59310838eea5cc37fce817b7c0e2a2a7-s800-c85.jpg

Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson in 1983. Jackson's share of the rights to many Beatles songs has been purchased by Sony.

AFP/AFP/Getty Images

The Sony Corporation has announced it will pay Michael Jackson's estate $750 million for Jackson's 50 percent share of the Sony/ATV music publishing company.
The backstory here has more twists and shouts than a long and winding road (Couldn't resist, but note that the rights to both "Twist and Shout" and "The Long and Winding Road" belong to Sony/ATV). Sony's purchase marks the culmination of one of the most remarkable stories in the history of the music business.
It all started when Paul McCartney advised his young friend Michael Jackson that, to really make money in the music industry, you needed to own the publishing of hit songs. McCartney told CBS-TV in a 1989 interview that Jackson joked to him "One day I'll own your songs." To McCartney's shock, Jackson was true to his word.
A music publisher owns the rights to a song's lyrics and composition. Anytime a song is performed, played on TV or radio, used in a commercial, etc., the publisher collects royalties. Contracts vary but, traditionally, that money is split 50/50 with the songwriter.
In 1985, music publisher ATV owned the rights to some 4,000 songs, including more than 200 by The Beatles. It also owned Little Richard's Tutti Frutti. Michael Jackson's lawyer, John Branca, knew Jackson was looking for songs to buy. When Branca learned that the Australian tycoon who owned ATV was putting the company up for sale, Branca and Jackson put in a bid. After long, tense negotiations, Jackson was able to purchase ATV for a reported $47.5 million.
In the mid-1990s, when Jackson was in debt, he sold half of ATV to Sony, forming the joint venture Sony/ATV. To get full ownership, Sony offered Jackson's estate $750 million.
The Sony/ATV catalog has swelled over the years and now owns or administers the copyrights to more than three million songs, including hits by Sting, Lady Gaga and Alicia Keyes. The company controls some of the best known songs in the world, including "Over The Rainbow" and "New York, New York." One analyst tells Bloomberg, with the increase in streaming, the trove's worth is more than what Sony's paying for it.
As for Michael Jackson's estate, it still owns Jackson's master recordings as well as Mijac Music, the publishing company that owns all of the songs he wrote. In a statement by co-executors John Branca and John McClain, the sale to Sony will allow them to maximize the "the value of Michael's Estate for the benefit of his children."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/15/470537451/sony-buys-michael-jacksons-stake-in-lucrative-music-catalog

Then they need to leave Sony and go work for someone else! Perhaps "Apple"?! I don't know. I have mixed emotions about that company but obviously Sony with all of their means and resources the last twenty years have not wanted to promote Michael as well as they could have.

I never questioned this: Because the master tapes / the vault are Michael´s legacy. No master tapes no Estate, IMO. But, correct, me if I´m wrong ... :)

I never questioned this: Because the master tapes / the vault are Michael´s legacy. That´s what he left us. No master tapes no Estate, IMO. But, correct, me if I´m wrong ... :)

I thought Michael own his own masters there is alots of music in the vault that we have not heard yet.

The Estate is 100%-owner of Michael`s MIJAC-catalog, which contains the rights of MIchaels music and the catalog is dept-free now.

Even if they "owned" the masters I would highly doubt Michael would let music that he was working on outside of a vacuum of people working on the project(s).. legally owning and actually having are two different things. After leaks, not saying I KNOW Michael.. But I could see him cutting people outside of who is working on the tracks out of any physical holdings of his newer music.. Even than have people work on there parts and not getting the full thing.. ie why we heard people like will.i.am saying he only has the instrumental and Michael had the vocal etc.

It depends on whether you're talking about unreleased or released material. They still don't have quite a lot of the unreleased stuff in their possession. People aren't willing to give them over if they're going to be remixed and released that way.

Lol. They have an insane amount of unreleased material!!! Urghhh! Why do we have to keep going over this?! It wouldn't change the facts anyway!

Lol. They have an insane amount of unreleased material!!! Urghhh! Why do we have to keep going over this?! It wouldn't change the facts anyway!

Yes, there may be tons of unreleased material out there, but not all of it is in complete physical possession of the MJ estate. For example, Steve Porcaro and the song Chicago 1945. Estate/Sony approached him and wanted to put the song on Xscape, but Porcaro didn't like the idea of remixing the song and believes it is fine as is (much respect to him for protecting MJ's art). However, he legally cannot release the song himself without permission from the estate. Same deal with the will.i.am songs. He won't hand over what he has to the estate, but cannot use it himself either.

There is much disagreement about how MJ's unreleased material should be handled, and therein lies the issue.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh...fascinating...and explains a good many things!

PinkDiamondPrincess! That anime picture is ALSO really cool of M.J.! Where did you find those? Did you draw/make them?

I don't think they have nearly as much as we often like to think they do. Pretty sure there's a lot of stuff we'd like to hear that the Estate simply do not have.

Na, Michael said he has THOUSANDS of songs in the vaults. This does not include demos, outtakes, instrumentals, remixes, alternative versions, (hopefully re-recordings), various mixes, accapellas, so the amount of stuff is INSANE!!! They are just trying to convince the public that there is nothing else so every time they sell something new it gives the impression that that is all there is when it is naught! :)

Na, Michael said he has THOUSANDS of songs in the vaults. This does not include demos, outtakes, instrumentals, remixes, alternative versions, (hopefully re-recordings), various mixes, accapellas, so the amount of stuff is INSANE!!! They are just trying to convince the public that there is nothing else so every time they sell something new it gives the impression that that is all there is when it is naught! :)

Michael did not have thousands of songs laying around. The amount of usable material is quite limited. Mostly scratch vocals or instrumentals.

When did Michael himself ever actually say this? I don't believe Michael ever said that he has "thousands" of unreleased songs.

If he did say such a thing he would have meant it in a very broad sense. Thousands of songs could be anything from a fully complete master to a handwritten lyric sheet to a drum or sound sample to a vocal guide with a click track. Alternative takes and versions, instrumentals, written ideas for a story that could be developed. You seem to want to just whish what you desire in to existence by pretending to yourself. Perhaps there's plenty of usable tracks in the vault and others from artists he worked with, but THOUSAND'S is such an over-reach.

He said he had thousands of songs that could be released! Personally I'm predicting 3,000. That's NOT including demos, outtakes (unused parts of songs), instrumentals, remixes, alternative versions, re-recordings, etc.!

He said he had thousands of songs that could be released! Personally I'm predicting 3,000. That's NOT including demos, outtakes (unused parts of songs), instrumentals, remixes, alternative versions, re-recordings, etc.!
You keep saying that.....but nobody takes you seriously or believes you. You're talking nonsense. Stop it

How can you say that and it be the gospel truth? Its already known M.J. worked on tons of unreleased songs. There is no secret here! Lol.

You honestly believe MJ wrote, recorded and finished 3000 songs that are left in the vault?? - and then demos, outtakes, instrumentals etc. also? How many songs do you actually think one person is able to create?? You are really fooling yourself is this is serious - I do start to believe you are just a troll...

How many songs did MJ release in life? - With J5, The Jacksons and solo? - 300? - many of his early solo songs were covers - and so were many of the early J5 songs. - I think MJ stopped making covers from OTW. (Come Together and Smile as exeptions) - So from there on he mostly wrote songs himself or had people write songs for him. - No way would he have 3000 finished songs that he never released... - He would need an enginer in the studio, a band, producer etc. etc. - many people would know about those songs - but noone has ever said anything about that amount of songs. - Quite contrary actually.

And you keep stating that MJ said he had thousands of songs... Stop saying that unless you have a source of some kind. An interview, a video - something. I don't believe MJ ever said such thing - and if he did he exaggerated like he did many many times.

If we are extremely lucky there are maybe 100 finished songs in the vault. And that is a very high number actually. more likely it's 40-50....

How can you say that and it be the gospel truth? Its already known M.J. worked on tons of unreleased songs. There is no secret here! Lol.

You're apparently the only one who has heard him say such a thing (that he had thousands of songs that could be released), yet you can't say when and where he said it

Michael throwing out numbers of songs does not mean it's a literal term.. come on! Not saying there isn't alot out there.. There is and has to be, and we know of several titles of songs..

Whatever the case, we don't know how complete songs are etc. but there's enough to have future releases.. I hope we hear some more in the coming years.. I am expecting a wait though with the words from the estate.

Back