Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 762 Posts

Default Re: 1997 - 20 years later

Also would like to add that I LOVED this era!! This was his real Invincible era! To come back with such an outstanding album; sonically and musically masterful and such a mature piece of work was incredible! From 95 to 97 was immense! First single Scream/Childhood featuring Janet who was also at the peak of her powers! Earth Song the Christmas #1, You Are Not Alone a massive monster of a #1 hit! Stranger In Moscow; artistic growth and one of his finest songs of all time! All the TV performances were some of his best! MTV performance was insane! Interviews! Ghosts and a great surprise in the form of Blood On The Dance Floor the single and album. Every single came in sets of two! The HIStory remix was a bit of a summer hit also. The world tour broke his own record for biggest audience for a solo artist.

Gonna dig out my HIStory album tomorrow along with Blood On The Dance Floor, get the singles out, watch the concert, and TV performances also, get my tour T-Shirt and program and spend my Sunday reliving it!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aazzaabb View Post
    Also would like to add that I LOVED this era!! This was his real Invincible era! To come back with such an outstanding album; sonically and musically masterful and such a mature piece of work was incredible! From 95 to 97 was immense! First single Scream/Childhood featuring Janet who was also at the peak of her powers! Earth Song the Christmas #1, You Are Not Alone a massive monster of a #1 hit! Stranger In Moscow; artistic growth and one of his finest songs of all time! All the TV performances were some of his best! MTV performance was insane! Interviews! Ghosts and a great surprise in the form of Blood On The Dance Floor the single and album. Every single came in sets of two! The HIStory remix was a bit of a summer hit also. The world tour broke his own record for biggest audience for a solo artist.

Gonna dig out my HIStory album tomorrow along with Blood On The Dance Floor, get the singles out, watch the concert, and TV performances also, get my tour T-Shirt and program and spend my Sunday reliving it!
    While I am a "Bad" guy, the HIStory era was definitely far and above the best era, for the reasons you mentioned- It was a blast living through it. From the HIStory promo's and weekends on Mtv, the debut of Scream, all the new videos, including Why. Also releasing Blood on the Dance Floor- the first CD single and album I ever bought (I lost £5 that day!)

I was watching a bit of Dublin the other night, and even the subpar quality doesnt effect me. Like yourself, I'm going to dig out my HIStory and Blood on the Dance Floor LPs today and just sit back, in awe.

Does anyone remember the opening acts? I vaguely remember Human Nature being instantly forgettable, which has proven to be true

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,135 Posts

Opening acts I recall was Kim Wilde on Bad, which was a big deal as she was pretty big in 1988.

A nu soul group called D Influence on Dangerous.

Can't recall HIStory but now you mention it Human Nature rings a bell, ironically I think I recall asking 'why, why' at the time.

My memories of seeing MJ live define my life, as I was 15, 19 and 29 at the times. The Leeds ones in my home town were extra special, and Bad on his 30th birthday was a big deal.

There's a thread here somewhere that goes into it in more detail.
    I CAN'T TAKE IT 'COS I'M TONY

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
    While I am a "Bad" guy, the HIStory era was definitely far and above the best era, for the reasons you mentioned- It was a blast living through it. From the HIStory promo's and weekends on Mtv, the debut of Scream, all the new videos, including Why. Also releasing Blood on the Dance Floor- the first CD single and album I ever bought (I lost £5 that day!)

I was watching a bit of Dublin the other night, and even the subpar quality doesnt effect me. Like yourself, I'm going to dig out my HIStory and Blood on the Dance Floor LPs today and just sit back, in awe.

Does anyone remember the opening acts? I vaguely remember Human Nature being instantly forgettable, which has proven to be true
    Let's also not forget about the very cool Video Greatest Hits HIStory Volume I released in 95 feathering the Brace Yourself video and featuring 10 of his best short films. Although it didn't contain anything new HIStory On Film Volume II came in 97 and included the MTV VMA performance. Vol II debuted on Billboards Top Music Videos chart at #1 and held it for 2 weeks. #2 for 12 weeks in the UK behind Official Video Vollume I by the Spice Girls.

Ghosts followed in December 97 with a limited edition Deluxe Collector Box Set for the Christmas market; VHS of the film, Cannes Film Festival Program, Blood on The Dance Floor album and an exclusive 3-track minimax single. The standard VHS of the film actually broke MJ's UK run of #2's coming straight in at #1, ahead of the Spice Girls 'Girl Power! Live in Istanbul.

MJ was very much active during the HIStory era and his presence was all over the music charts, video charts, radio, MTV Michael Jackson Weekends, the news following the European Tour, the pop magazines, even Hello magazine spreads with the birth of his kids. Even the Britt Awards Jarvus Cocker nonsense and the statue flowing down the River Thames made a noise that MJ was still a massive part of popular culture as the media reported on his every move. This was the last era in which he ran, in which he OWNED the music world and schooled everyone in how it's done!

Also SWV's superb Right Here -featuring samples of Human Nature- was getting a decent amount air play although released a few years before I remember this getting lots of play where I'm from, and 3T's Why.
    Last edited by aazzaabb; 16-07-2017 at 01:23 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing your memories guys. They're brilliant for us fans who weren't lucky enough to see Michael live.
    I was too young for the HIStory tour, I would have been 18 months old when he came to Sheffield. I had tickets for This Is It but still..

My mum used to love telling me about seeing him in Leeds 88, on his birthday. The atmosphere was so warm and electric, also how brilliant it was that the crowd sung happy birthday to him in between songs. She always used to say his hat skimmed her fingertips at the end of Billie Jean. I always find it weird she never went to the Aintree show as that's half an hour away.

She saw him again at Wembley in 1992. She said how the atmosphere was even more hyped. She said it was like seeing a different person because there was so much ore of aura and mystic around him around Dangerous. She was really close to the front this time, when he toasted out her and another load of women nearly fainted. I remember her saying it was amazing seeing him so close when he hung off the cherry picker during Beat It.

She always talked about how incredible it was to see him in his prime. My mum always spoke like it was a privilege which I really love

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your memories guys. They're brilliant for us fans who weren't lucky enough to see Michael live.
    I was too young for the HIStory tour, I would have been 18 months old when he came to Sheffield. I had tickets for This Is It but still..

My mum used to love telling me about seeing him in Leeds 88, on his birthday. The atmosphere was so warm and electric, also how brilliant it was that the crowd sung happy birthday to him in between songs. She always used to say his hat skimmed her fingertips at the end of Billie Jean. I always find it weird she never went to the Aintree show as that's half an hour away.

She saw him again at Wembley in 1992. She said how the atmosphere was even more hyped. She said it was like seeing a different person because there was so much ore of aura and mystic around him around Dangerous. She was really close to the front this time, when he toasted out her and another load of women nearly fainted. I remember her saying it was amazing seeing him so close when he hung off the cherry picker during Beat It.

She always talked about how incredible it was to see him in his prime. My mum always spoke like it was a privilege which I really love
    The Sheifeld HIStory concert got a great review actually in one of the more "prominent" music magazines; Mojo or one of those ones. It's always one of the shows I'd like to see from the tour. I'm sure it's all pretty much the same thing but the news report footage looks great.

Your mother was beyond lucky to catch MJ during his absolute live peak Bad/Dangerous! Even though I didn't get to go to Bad -I was 8- and Dangerous -I was 11- I knew that these were more than just another singer rolling into town. these felt like historical moments in popular culture and even when the Bad Tour came here the weekend turned into a festival with a carnival like atmosphere and the economy thrived because of the cash injection; people spent loads of money here and business made massive profits over the Michael Jackson weekend.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Funnily enough, wearing my Bad Tour T shirt today, replica below

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post

I like that now. Way better than my pepsi t shirt, which is just the pepsi logo.

May look into getting that t shirt.

When I went to Bush's exhibition, he head loads of HIStory tour t shirts. I just bought a BOTDF one. All large though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No force of nature can break your will to self motivate.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to innuendo141 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Nice! Very retro! I loved that silhouette of MJ during the Bad era also. Iconic!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

^ Cheers. I recall at the time that on a lot of the merch, it didn't say Bad tour but Tour'88!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony R For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^ Cheers. I recall at the time that on a lot of the merch, it didn't say Bad tour but Tour'88!
    I love it! I like "Tour 88" in the Bad font. The red really pops against the white and also the blue. I thought the whole Pepsi deal tied-in so well with the Bad era. Those adverts were beyond perfect! There was a certain way MJ footage was edited in the Bad era; really tight fast little shots of him dancing which left you drooling. Another Part Of Me and Heartbreak Hotbreak Hotel from the Legend Continues are examples of it, also the Pepsi adverts. Lightening in a bottle type footage.

I hope one day we get a HD Bad Tour concert edited with tight shots, wide shots of the entire stage and the arena and different angles to capture the atmosphere. Also crowd shots -not to the extent of Dangerous Bucharest- but the just enough to enhance everything, and a decent sound mix that captures the way it sounded, for instance during Thriller when he swings onto the stage you should be able to hear the explosion and crowd reaction for impact. Not complaining about Bad25 Wembley, it was great for what it was.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aazzaabb For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I was born in 97, and the last time he came here was in 96, so I could never see him. And you don't know how it hurts. Whenever I dream I'm in his concert, I don't know how but I feel that this is not real because it's not so perfect as I see on the videos and this make me very sad that sometimes I don't even want to have this drems, despite I love to see him in my thouths at night.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Hey! I would love to watch the entire concert in the Wembley Stadium. Do you know where can I find it? Thank yoooou

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GracielaPonchio View Post
    Hey! I would love to watch the entire concert in the Wembley Stadium. Do you know where can I find it? Thank yoooou
    Nowhere. IF anyone has this concert, it's some collector who hasn't shared it

I am extremely devoted to Michael Jackson

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Michaels Lover For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    Nowhere. IF anyone has this concert, it's some collector who hasn't shared it
    That's sad :// specially because I DIE to see RTT in a concert! And I think innuendo141 said it was in this show!!